-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Freight would obviously be a prohibitive factor so this is for the Alaskans in the crowd:

[Linked Image]

I am putting this sled up for sale in Fairbanks and will be posting fliers�maybe Craig's list.

It's a nine foot, all hickory, 100% hand fitted mortise and tenon lightweight freight sled. It a great type of sled for the traveler who needs a strong, lightweight sled for running distances. It has carbide skegs inletted into the runners, a fully welded, heavy-duty tow bar with independent shock-springed draw bar (with large eye for pintle attachment). The sled is tied with tarred round-brain nylon; critical metal fasters are grade 8 bolts.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is a high-quality sled that will provide years of service with reasonable care. It's fairly narrow at 32 inches and is 18 high. Lower horsepower machines will pull it readily with modest loads. This sled is priced to sell for $1250.

A second sled, a slightly heavier and heavier-duty design, is nearly complete and will also be up for sale at a higher price shortly. It is about the same size and very similar in design with an extra set of stantions, lacking the rear crosspiece- the better to to load extended loads, and stantions spaced more ideally for rearward weighted loads.

Campfire folks deserve an opportunity since I've "known you longer" grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That thing needs to be hanging on somebodies wall in a log home. I know it is built to be used, but it is simply beautiful.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
This is very cool! Not in the market but would like to see more pictures. Beautiful craftsmanship.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys. Yep definitely not a wall-hanger�.I could produce those too, with much nicer lines and more 'traditional' features, but I'd much rather see these things go to work. Probably crank out a few small 'belly sleds' in time for Christmas as well since I don't have a very good place to work right now (and I can bring the smaller stuff indoors for doing many of the bare-hands details.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Thanks guys. Yep definitely not a wall-hanger�.I could produce those too, with much nicer lines and more 'traditional' features, but I'd much rather see these things go to work. Probably crank out a few small 'belly sleds' in time for Christmas as well since I don't have a very good place to work right now (and I can bring the smaller stuff indoors for doing many of the bare-hands details.)

My Dad built me a small sled like these back in the 1940s and I imagine it is still in use among my grand nieces and nephews. As I may be moving back where it snows in the US, I will be interested to follow how you do with these. I imagine that you could knock them down for shipping and later assembly. Good luck.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,109
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.