Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I�m looking for an uninsulated boot to wear hunting in the mountains. It has to provide support to both feet and ankles, have soles capable of good traction, be comfortable, and lightweight. I�ve been trying a bunch of boots � mostly at various Cabelas. I apparently have weird feet because a lot of the boots I�ve tried don�t fit real well. My foot measures out to a perfect 9D on the right and almost a 9E on the left due to a bunion on my big toe. I also have flat feet and a low volume foot � which is where the issue lies. I do not want my foot sliding around when I�m on steep slopes. I have 3 pairs of American made Danners made on their 650 last that fit perfect � love them. When I�m hunting in east Tennessee or the Rockies, my Danners feel great. The only issue I have it their weight � my Elkhunters (400 gm thinsulate) weigh 65 oz, my Trophy�s (600 gm) at 75 oz. They are indestructible and can be re-built when the time comes.

I�m looking for something non-insulated with the same qualities identified above � support, traction, comfort. Danner makes 2 boots that fit the bill � Grouse and Elk Hunters, both non-insulated and built on the 650 last. Both weigh 64-67 oz. I�ve tried Pronghorns and find them to have too much volume. I started playing with various insoles and haven�t found any combination that feels like my American made Danners. My Pronghorns weigh 65 oz with 2 insoles and the Danner half orthotic � almost the same weight as my other Danners. I�ll sell the Pronghorns and buy a pair of Grouse of Elk Hunters before I deal with that.

Two questions for those with low volume feet: A. what uninsulated boot are you using in the mountains, B. of the boots you wear, how much do they weigh.

As a bit of clarification, I�ve tried hiking type boots and find they rub on my ankle after several miles and make my ankle hurt, plus they really don�t give me the support I�d like when I have an elk quarter or deer in my pack and traversing a 30 degree slope. I like 8� boots.

I�m inclined to make someone a really good deal on a set of new Pronghorns and buy a pair of Danner Grouse.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have low volume feet and skinny ankles. I've been using the by Vasque, the Wasatch, 54 oz is the listed weight, STP has a good deal right now:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mens-hiking-boots~d~360/vasque~b~18100/

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have used these the last couple of years for CO 1st rifle season. Love these boots. Not quite warm enough when it snows and temps get to low 20s and below and I'm standing around, but that's not what they were designed for. I wanted excellent stability, lightweight, waterproof and good traction, they have that and they breath quite well.

Salomon Quest 4D GTX

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Check out Hanwag's. They make several boots with a specific bunion last.

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am really impressed thus far with Schnee's Beartooth

This is the 3rd season of use and they are holding strong. All other boots have leaked, or blown out after 2.

57.6oz and 8in uppers with E-vent membrane.
I buy my boots uninsulated to fit well with a thin green foam cushion.
Then when the temps drop I remove the cushion and change to 2 layer sock system.
Has worked well for upland hunting death marches chasing a young GSP across the hills, and perfectly for mountain elk hunting.
YMMV

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm
I have used these the last couple of years for CO 1st rifle season. Love these boots. Not quite warm enough when it snows and temps get to low 20s and below and I'm standing around, but that's not what they were designed for. I wanted excellent stability, lightweight, waterproof and good traction, they have that and they breath quite well.

Salomon Quest 4D GTX

Did a little research on these today - they look good. Found them locally and will venture over to try a pair on. I need a low volume boot and interweb reviews indicate this boot fits medium and hihg volume feet. We'll see tomorrow.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
I have low volume feet and skinny ankles. I've been using the by Vasque, the Wasatch, 54 oz is the listed weight, STP has a good deal right now:

Checked these out too. Can't find them locally but with the STP return policy, will likely give them a try after I try the Salomon Quest.

Thanks.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bwinters

Did a little research on these today - they look good. Found them locally and will venture over to try a pair on. I need a low volume boot and interweb reviews indicate this boot fits medium and hihg volume feet. We'll see tomorrow.

Hope they work out. I'm not sure what my feet are in terms volume so I couldn't offer any advice there.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by smokepole

Here's something to have a look at - it sure helped me

http://youtu.be/SOE28brAcEc

Last edited by Kudu11; 11/04/14.

This where I come from - http://youtu.be/KJr9jvsXFN4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks, I will try that first technique.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For years, I've worn a pair of Danner Frontier GTX's. The 6" model is uninsulated while the taller ones have varying thicknesses of insulation. They're very sturdy and have lasted me for 10+ years so far. They might be heavier than you want but if you want sturdy, they fit the bill.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Look at the Danner East Ridge.

MM

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
lowa tibets....

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by handwerk
lowa tibets....

Called Lowa about these boots yesterday - going to try them.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Made lots of calls to various boot manufacturers and "foot people" and think I've narrowed down my choices to:

Lowa Tibet GTX
Salomon Quest 4D GTX
Merrell Mattertal
Asolo TPS 520
Zamberlan 960 - if I can find a pair locally to try on.

I'm also considering the ability to re-build the boot when needed. Calls with the Lowa folks tipped me off to that possibility. I don't mind spending $2-300 on a pair of boots but they need to last more than a couple seasons. I've considered most of my choices thus far as 2-3 choices, then replace. If the Lowa's fit well, they are re-buildable making them a better value in the long run. I have several pairs of American Danners that are also rebuildable - I like that quality alot.

Anyone have any thoughts/comments on my choices thus far with respect to durability?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a pair of Salomon Quest 4D GTX yesterday after trying on most of the boots on my list plus a bunch of others. I agree with one internet post I read that stated the Salomon Quest was a very good blend of weight, stability, and comfort. They feel very good on my feet but the real test will come with a few hikes. I really like that they extend above my ankles � I feel no ankle rub issues.

A couple of surprises. The Asolo TPS were really, really stiff. They had a great footbed but think this boot is closer to a mountaineering boot than a backpacking boot. With proper break in they would like work but wonder how comfortable they�d be in the long run for less than mountaineering hikes. I couldn�t find the Lowa Tibet but tried the Renegade � and hated it. The size 9D felt like a wedge with my toes jammed into the front of the boot. The 9.5 just plain felt weird and seemed like a huge step up in size. I checked both and they were marked 9 and 9.5. I think the Tibet has a different footbed and hope they are made on a different last. I�d still like to try a pair.

I tried the Merrell Mattertal and I liked the way it fit but think it is more of a day hike boot. I don�t think it would be stiff enough or hold up to loads for very long. I had a pair of Phaser Peaks a while back and loved them for day hikes. I wore them 1 year in Idaho in their early rifle season and they were waterproof for about 15 minutes in the rain. I love Merrell shoes but their hiking boots make good day hikers with the possible exception of their Wilderness boot. Never tried it but understand from those that have that it is worthy.

I couldn�t find any Zamberlan 960 but may still order a pair to see how they feel.

Thanks for all the discussion and suggestions.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Look forward to hearing your thoughts once you get a few miles on them.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Something I forgot to mention on the Asolo - the tread isn't all that aggressive but the material is fairly "hard". In fact I slipped twice on the simulated rock board. I don't need a slippery tread design when I'm moving around on rocks. One of the reasons I didn't play with it more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wear a 10d, fairly low volume. I loved the old Scarpa Rio's. A bit heavy, but bomb proof and they just fit perfectly.

They are discontinued and I can't find them anymore.

After a few looks, I settled on a pair of AKU's from STP. They fit well, are seemingly a bit lighter than the Rios, good support, and have held up to a couple seasons so far.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I really like my Lowa Tibets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,827
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.