Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by xverminator
Point is, bullets, barrels, rangefinders, scopes, and shooting systems is what this forum is all about......Ethics has absolutely nothing to do with it.X-VERMINATOR

Long range hunting forum.

I.e. Ethics has nothing to do with shooting at live animals... not at long range anyway. laugh

You may have overstated what you meant to say and we should give more folks the benefit of the doubt around here.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, not at all.......but 500yds ain't what it used to be!

X-VERMINATOR

Last edited by xverminator; 11/05/14.

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Point is, bullets, barrels, rangefinders, scopes, and shooting systems is what this forum is all about......Ethics has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Of course it does.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Originally Posted by mod7rem
IMHO I honestly believe that the reason long range hunting gets negative feedback is because it's referred to as "long range hunting". ...

The distinction between "hunting" and "LR hunting" makes people assume that the goal is to shoot animals as far away as possible without attempting to close the distance...

So the whole thing comes across as long range target practice on living targets even though that's not always the case.

Excellent and perceptive post, even though it is a bit naive. You nailed it exactly with this sentence:

The distinction between "hunting" and "LR hunting" makes people assume that the goal is to shoot animals as far away as possible without attempting to close the distance...

That is precisely the goal as expressed overall in this forum.

For confirmation just read recent titles of threads in this forum, and a random sampling of posts, starting with the first sentence of the original post that started this thread.

Yep!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Point is, bullets, barrels, rangefinders, scopes, and shooting systems is what this forum is all about......Ethics has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Of course it does.

Bull $hit, I think you confuse common sense and bad decisions with ethics. What the [bleep] is ethics in hunting anyway?.......The goal as a hunter is to put meat on the ground, I could give a [bleep] how many shots it takes, what you, the animal, or tree huggers think..........I could just as easily [bleep] up a 75yrd shot as I could a 750yrd shot, depends on the circumstances, all part of hunting! Seven hundred and fifty yards definitely ain't what it used to be though!

X-VERMINATOR

Last edited by xverminator; 11/05/14.

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What exactly is ethical, the thrill of the kill or the stalk? Taking an animals life and then calling it a Trophy? I personally hunt for meat and when I take the life of something I thank the creator for the food.

Different than how 99% out there hunt.

The truth is man has taken there extreme view to the point of slaughtering one another into the 100s of millions in the last 100 years. Man is the most aggressive killingest beast on this planet and he wants to talk about moral value.

I find it ironic! And I need more advice on my 300 win mag thread. smile

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 11/06/14.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think there should be a separate forum on HUNTING ETHICS where guys can express their opinions on ethics or simply add a link to a discussion if they feel like it.

Pieter

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There is an implied ethical standard of conduct in a hunting forum. Examples include: that animals are taken in as humane a way as possible given the circumstances, as well as being taken in a legal manner.

If you want to start a hunting ethics forum, go for it. Otherwise it is a very important portion of any conversation involving hunting, and should be a part of the forum.

Besides, the ethical question is not only potentially more important (the answers having repercussions which could affect our future as hunters), but is also a better discussion/argument than "What scope is best" or "My bullet is better than yours".

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think the term "long range hunting" is a bit of an oxymoron because it sort of implies that you would not shoot an animal at short range. It implies the hunter is handicapping themselves and that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

It is difficult to attend the Icebreaker shoot and leave, saying people should not shoot at long range. Reason being is that steel from 1,000yds in, get the ever living schit shot out of it all day, everyday, and that is while shooting very far from ideal conditions and includes a fairly diverse group of shooters and equipment on the firing line.

I shoot at a public range almost exclusively and typically shoot 3 days a week. I enjoy shooting at a public range because it often makes me the center of attention and I also talk a lot. It is pretty rare to meet a shooter that will consistently hit steel past the 300. And I would say one out of 10 shooters connects at the 300 and below 100% of the time. I'm not trying to sound like a snob, but that is what I have observed in a fairly gun savvy community.

I have had a number of shooters ask about my rifle and equipment after they hear the steel consistently ring a few long seconds after I fire. They rarely listen to a single fugging thing I say and basically tune out once they figure out they cannot buy the entire package at Big R.

I am also frequently asked why I don't use a wind gauge. When I explain it does no good due to the wind shifting direction three times (wind is brutal at our range as the targets lay at the bottom of a coulee) people typically look at me as though I'm a moron. Which could be true, but so is what I tell them about the wind.

At the end of the day, shooting long range makes you a better shooter. Period. The better you are, the better you are. Period.

I don't mean to sound like a prick but the vast majority of shooters and hunters I meet are morons. And I mean, really fugging stupid. Both ethically, fiscally, physically, mentally, etc. When you get really stupid people trying to shoot animals far away, bad things happen. But guess what? When you try to get really stupid people to shoot anything at any distance, really bad things happen. If you doubt this, go check out youtube for an hour or two.

At the end of the day, they still make Budweiser and that is all that really matters.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

I don't mean to sound like a prick ...

Stop it.

You're killing me.

My wife would say, "I know you don't mean to do it; it just happens naturally."

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
WWJD?

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That was golden....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can guaranfockingtee He doesn't have to dope wind.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RWE
I can guaranfockingtee He doesn't have to dope wind.

The correct answer is "he would eat fish and manna." What is manna? Don't worry about it. You sinning fugg.

Travis

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I think the term "long range hunting" is a bit of an oxymoron because it sort of implies that you would not shoot an animal at short range. It implies the hunter is handicapping themselves and that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

It is difficult to attend the Icebreaker shoot and leave, saying people should not shoot at long range. Reason being is that steel from 1,000yds in, get the ever living schit shot out of it all day, everyday, and that is while shooting very far from ideal conditions and includes a fairly diverse group of shooters and equipment on the firing line.

I shoot at a public range almost exclusively and typically shoot 3 days a week. I enjoy shooting at a public range because it often makes me the center of attention and I also talk a lot. It is pretty rare to meet a shooter that will consistently hit steel past the 300. And I would say one out of 10 shooters connects at the 300 and below 100% of the time. I'm not trying to sound like a snob, but that is what I have observed in a fairly gun savvy community.

I have had a number of shooters ask about my rifle and equipment after they hear the steel consistently ring a few long seconds after I fire. They rarely listen to a single fugging thing I say and basically tune out once they figure out they cannot buy the entire package at Big R.

I am also frequently asked why I don't use a wind gauge. When I explain it does no good due to the wind shifting direction three times (wind is brutal at our range as the targets lay at the bottom of a coulee) people typically look at me as though I'm a moron. Which could be true, but so is what I tell them about the wind.

At the end of the day, shooting long range makes you a better shooter. Period. The better you are, the better you are. Period.

I don't mean to sound like a prick but the vast majority of shooters and hunters I meet are morons. And I mean, really fugging stupid. Both ethically, fiscally, physically, mentally, etc. When you get really stupid people trying to shoot animals far away, bad things happen. But guess what? When you try to get really stupid people to shoot anything at any distance, really bad things happen. If you doubt this, go check out youtube for an hour or two.

At the end of the day, they still make Budweiser and that is all that really matters.

Travis

This post should be a sticky. Absolutely dead on.
Its funny, I have not shot competitively for years now, going on 9 I think. I still take a wind speed meter with me while hunting. Just to verify. And I"m not talking long shots these days because I'm out of practice, unless it were to be wind still.
But its funny, I can sit somewhere with wind blowing and just sit and glass all the indicators, and pull out the wind gauge and its generally about what I thought it would be.

As to it changing, especially in a coulee.... yeah most folks would be amazed... I've sat on a gun trying to shoot a shot at paper at longer ranges, the shot prior was center, but it starts changing so often you can't change your sights and shoot wihtout it changing again... this can go on for minutes. I never was good at favoring with irons, but can with a scope, but with irons we shot competition...

Travis, great post!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Travis

Spot on and numerous to boot.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I prefer to avoid public ranges and gun shops if I can get something online. The same thing around here regarding the majority of hunters and shooters being morons. I often think those clueless guys that talks load enough so the whole building can hear them on how they made that running head shot or how everything smaller than a 375H&H is insufficient has small penises grin

Best thing about hunting and shooting is, it is not a team sport!

Pieter

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I agree mostly on team sport. Wife and I did enjoy team shooting for our state at the nationals. But it was different. A different level of folks with sense.

Me, I'm with you, I hate public ranges. I don't like gun shows or gun stores.

I"d just as soon do my own research and just order what I want and go from there. I get a lot better advice than from some stores.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

Travis

Spot on and numerous to boot.

Once in a while Travis gets lucky.

grin

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
rost, I only referred to, if it was purely a team sport then you might have ended up with one of those individuals (but guess you know what I meant) smile

It is great that we can practice what we love without stupid people interfering while we are doing it.

Pieter

Last edited by m77; 11/06/14.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

125 members (280ACKIMP, 44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 338rcm, 11 invisible), 1,268 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,506
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.