Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Why do people constantly post in this section on how you could rather sneak up on animals when hunting? Is it not pretty clear when you click on this link that the discussion is going to be LONG RANGE HUNTING?

I am not for one moment saying an unskilled person should pick up his rifle and start shooting animals at long range, but that is pretty obvious and not something that we are not aware of.

There are guys with very strong opinions against LRH and some have no idea how much time some guys on the forum spend behind their rifles and still think they think they know exactly how well everyone can shoot. I personally think many of them measures it up against their own ability and not that of experienced guys.

Yes, there are a few stupid posts and there will always be, but hi-jacking just about every post and spoiling a good discussion is childish and probably because of a self esteem problem.

I am not saying constructive feedback is a problem as we learn from one another, which is a good thing, but generalizing and putting out strong opinions on something or someone you know nothing about is just making this forum quite unpleasant at times and very unnecessary.

I think, spend more time shooting with someone that shoots well at long range and then come back with your opinions.

Pieter

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

It is an unknown mystery.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is this a prairie goat "call out" thread? LOL

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
One should not assume that the folks who have negative views towards long range hunting have any less experience than the proponents. In fact the opposite is often the case.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I wouldn't say that often those that have negative feelings have experience, in fact I've never met one that does. Everyone that I know that does have great experience with distance shooting and hunting in general, DO have a big problem with inexperienced, and ill trained LR shooters that often have very little general killing experience because it leads to all kinds of nonsense.

Of course those same people cause all kinds of nonsense inside of 200 as well.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I wouldn't say that often those that have negative feelings have experience, in fact I've never met one that does.

I 100% disagree.

Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Everyone that I know that does have great experience with distance shooting and hunting in general, DO have a big problem with inexperienced, and ill trained LR shooters that often have very little general killing experience because it leads to all kinds of nonsense.

Yes.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"ve yet to meet someone that was anti long range, that had any experience with it to the level I do.

In fact almost all the guys I shot with, a large majority kill game at whatever distances they feel comfortable with in a given situation, IE they know their limits BECAUSE they shoot a lot. And at long ranges.

The ones I hear complain may shoot longer distances at times but have never been anywhere near talented or accomplished in longer distances.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
m77 #9310138 11/04/14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by m77
Yes, there are a few stupid posts and there will always be, but hi-jacking just about every post and spoiling a good discussion is childish and probably because of a self esteem problem.

I am not saying constructive feedback is a problem as we learn from one another, which is a good thing, but generalizing and putting out strong opinions on something or someone you know nothing about is just making this forum quite unpleasant at times and very unnecessary.

Manners are not moderated into 24hcf, and the result on LRH is more spoilers than sincere contributors.
There are lots of other forums moderated heavily by double digit IQ opinionated control freaks.
So your choice is to 1) skim past the bulk of useless posts filled with juvenile criticism here or 2) post elsewhere, where your posts must be consistent with a book written by a nit wit gun writer that some nit wit moderator read.
I think you will be back here skipping over posts by obnoxious drunks. In the end, who is to say what is baby and what is bathwater? Many of the readers may think the bad manners is the best part.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Clarkm #9310448 11/04/14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some people like to stir things up..... just ignore or do not read their posts.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Fotis #9310931 11/04/14
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I say we go shoot something tomorrow, just because we can.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Saturday morning I'll be hiking the ridge with the intent to kill.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Les7603006
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Saturday morning I'll be hiking the ridge with the intent to kill.

Excellent suggestion smile I have a few hunts coming up before the end of the year. Great way to create more stories!

Pieter

Last edited by m77; 11/05/14.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
98% of the general populace doesn't have a clue as to the capabilities of a rifle in the hands of a great shooter!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
IMHO I honestly believe that the reason long range hunting gets negative feedback is because it's referred to as "long range hunting". Why have a seperate designation and product lines and tv shows named after it. I have no problem with hunters shooting animals at whatever range they are comfortable and competent to shoot at. The distinction between "hunting" and "LR hunting" makes people assume that the goal is to shoot animals as far away as possible without attempting to close the distance and a lot of people find that unethical. This year I've done a lot of practice to extend my comfortable shooting distance but I still just refer to myself as a hunter and I'll always close the gap as much as possible. I've only watched a couple of LR hunting shows and they didn't do much to help with that reputation. There was no attempt to close the distance, the goal was clearly to try and kill animals at very long ranges and that's the way it was marketed. So the whole thing comes across as long range target practice on living targets even though that's not always the case.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mod7rem
IMHO I honestly believe that the reason long range hunting gets negative feedback is because it's referred to as "long range hunting". ...

The distinction between "hunting" and "LR hunting" makes people assume that the goal is to shoot animals as far away as possible without attempting to close the distance...

So the whole thing comes across as long range target practice on living targets even though that's not always the case.

Excellent and perceptive post, even though it is a bit naive. You nailed it exactly with this sentence:

The distinction between "hunting" and "LR hunting" makes people assume that the goal is to shoot animals as far away as possible without attempting to close the distance...

That is precisely the goal as expressed overall in this forum.

For confirmation just read recent titles of threads in this forum, and a random sampling of posts, starting with the first sentence of the original post that started this thread.

Last edited by Okanagan; 11/05/14. Reason: spel Czech & clarity
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sunday I'll be shooting 400 and 500 yard targets. That's a loooong way for me.

You guys who can put a bullet where you want it to go out to 1,000 yards impress the hell out of me.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fact is, a 12 yo with a little bit of instruction and trigger time can impress the hell out of most "do-littles" at 1K..........Bullets, barrels, rangefinders, scopes, turrets, and dad's withstanding!

X-VERMINATOR

Last edited by xverminator; 11/05/14.

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by xverminator
Fact is, a 12 yo with a little bit of instruction and trigger time can impress the hell out of most "do-littles" at 1K..........Bullets, barrels, rangefinders, scopes, turrets, and dad's withstanding!

X-VERMINATOR

Send some of that equipment and instruction my way. I haven't impressed anyone in a long time.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wasn't directed at you PS.......Just a comment based on observation. This stuff really isn't as hard as the Gen. Pop. makes it.........

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Point is, bullets, barrels, rangefinders, scopes, and shooting systems is what this forum is all about......Ethics has absolutely nothing to do with it. Those who "can" will, and those who "can't", fail to even imagine!!"

It's not a matter of ability as much as it's a matter of simply opening the mind............................Everything else exists!!

X-VERMINATOR

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (280shooter, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 14idaho, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,540 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.