24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
in the pocket of my orange, well until this year, bought a bird hunters vest for my orange and it has some zip up pockets, load it up at the start of the season, empty at the end....unfortunately it got lost in the shuffle after the divorce and im not sure where it is so just carried them in my pants pocket last week.....havent needed more than in the mag for a deer so far but have to take into account opportunity shots at 'yotes aswell which leads to needing to top off grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MTM Ammo Wallet.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
4 down in the magazine, 9 in a buttstock elastic carrier, and a full MTM in the truck. That's what starts the season, and it never comes in until the season's over.

So 13 rounds go with me in the field each day.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When did shirt pockets go out of vogue?......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Put it on my belt and go.

[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SKane
Montana Slings cartridge carrier for me

+1. I carry mine on my belt, also made by Montana Slings. They make great stuff.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Depending on caliber MTM ammo wallet, leather belt slide, or a couple of pre-filled magazines, all of which are carried in my backpack. I keep a couple of loose rounds in my pants pockets in case I get separated from my pack.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
I would not personally want the ammo in my pockets or without protection.

I'm not sure that it matters that much, but I just don't want it any more dirty than I can avoid, and a lot of mentioned methods don't protect it that much in reality.

Huh?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
One round each in my front pants pockets.

1 in the rifle. That's all I need wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rattler
in the pocket of my orange, well until this year, bought a bird hunters vest for my orange and it has some zip up pockets, load it up at the start of the season, empty at the end....unfortunately it got lost in the shuffle after the divorce and im not sure where it is so just carried them in my pants pocket last week.....havent needed more than in the mag for a deer so far but have to take into account opportunity shots at 'yotes aswell which leads to needing to top off grin

My orange holds 6 rounds and protects them very well with a flap/pocket (I carry my compass in that pocket) that goes over and velcroes down. Full rifle usually holds 4-6 rounds, sometimes I'll carry an extra round in 1 of my shirt pockets.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use the carrier that fits over the stock with a velcro flap.
Holds 6, add 3 in the magazine and a couple spares in a pocket.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
One round each in my front pants pockets.

1 in the rifle. That's all I need wink

I thought the question wuz about EXTRA ammo, not how many loaded?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When going hunting I put two rounds for the primary gun in the shirt pocket I wear when getting into the vehicle. Of course when setting out in the woods I put more in my pockets.

Two rounds in a pocket will not rattle. Three or more will.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use these -

[Linked Image]

They're made to hold 20 rounds. I have cut several in half to hold 10 rounds.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't like anything more on my belt than I already have- sidearm and knife, plus with binoculars on a harness on my chest, my rifle bumps against things if I don't plan my wardrobe assembly right. So, I use this, it keeps the cartridges with the rifle w/o changing the balance of the rifle, and the rifles stock never bangs into the brass cartridges like it would if they were on my belt. Plus the slings are stretchy and not slippery so stay on your shoulder well.

[Linked Image]

LOL
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I'm a Diabetic so I carry a back-pack with snacks and water. It's easy to carry extra ammo in one of the pockets. I load the rifle with 4 and carry an extra 4 in the pack so I'm not adding too much extra weight.

Ken

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use either a butt cuff on the gun to carry extra rounds or a plastic ammo wallet that I keep in my pack or pocket.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a while, Remington and Federal rifle ammo was packaged in 2 10 round plastic strips that were stacked together to fit into a cardboard box. I use one of those 10 round strips, but cut down to hold 5 rounds and with all the sharp edges and squared corners trimmed and rounded off so that it rides easily in the lower front pocket of my game vest.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I usually carry one round in each of my buttoned shirt pockets when using a bolt gun that holds 4 or so. I also carry extras in my pack because stuff happens.

I picked up a nice Browning parka a few years back that has ammo carriers sewn into two front pockets; one for shotshells and one for rifle ammo. you can flip them out so they hang outside the pocket if you think you're gonna have to make a "stand".

What fresh Hell is this?
S
S
Have 1 in my Ruger #1, 1 between 2nd and 3rd fingers of left hand, and a few in my shirt pocket.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
639 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,843 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.