Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by eh76
Or when bobcape is along I just make him carry my extra ammo, spotting scope, lunch, folding chair...... grin

Yep. I do what I have to so's I get invited back next year!

Originally Posted by eh76

Lost too many rounds traipsing around here for that or a stock pouch......

Can't believe it. I give the guy a stock pack and he complains about loosing a round or two. grin

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I used to carry them in my jacket pocket. Too may times , when it warmed up I left the jacket and ammo behind. I now kinda like the little stock pack.with loops inside. Also caries a bore snake and lense cloth..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now days I carry ammo in a folding synthetic cartridge carrier that slips easily into a pocket. If there is a photo op involved I bring out the leather cartridge carrier to enhance the image of a big game hunter. laugh

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, the majority of my rifles[except for my 45-70 GG] are single shots, and I use a butt cuff on the stock, or as ole ingwe calls it, a "bubba buddy".....grin

[Linked Image]

squirrels with my H&R Sportster.

[Linked Image]

deer with my CVA Scout 44 mag.

[Linked Image]

hogs with my guide gun

[Linked Image]

big stuff with my Ruger no. 1 375 H&H mag.

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I hope you own stock in Bubba Buddy....so to speak.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by ironbender
I put 3 in the rifle belly.

You obviously don't hunt where gun shots can be considered dinner bells.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
I hope you own stock in Bubba Buddy....so to speak.....

wood or plastic.... whistle grin

maddog

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by laker
Backpack has pockets on hip belt. I take a couple rounds and wrap them in electrical tape so they don't rattle

Try it. You'll like it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by roundoak
Now days I carry ammo in a folding synthetic cartridge carrier that slips easily into a pocket. If there is a photo op involved I bring out the leather cartridge carrier to enhance the image of a big game hunter. laugh

[Linked Image]

Got a couple of those Lawrence leather cartridge boxes,used them for many years. Allways took my ammo out of them at the end of the season and put it back in the 50 rd plastic case with the rest of the lot and load data tag. Forgot some 243 loads one year, by next antelope season they all turned green with verdigris(sic)? Nope I don't use them anymore. just stick the shells in a Federal 10 rd holder out of their factory boxes and stick it in my pocket, noiseless and handy. Magnum Man

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a few of those MTM ammo wallets that hold less than a dozen rounds. The 30-06 one holds 9.

[Linked Image]

I then carry that in my vest pocket. They're thin, flat, waterproof and don't turn the ammo green. Before this I used to put ammo on my stock or sling, but I'd always finish out the season with one or two rounds unaccounted for. These MTM wallets fixed that.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bubba Buddy for the win........

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I finally picked up a Bubba Buddy a couple years ago. Pretty slick. I do have to pay attention to the rounds in it, but it is never full. 7 or 8, tops. 5 in the rifle. A 20 rd plastic case somewhere, either in the truck or in my pack. You guys that carry only what's in your gun have never been to a rodeo, apparently, or hunted more than one species at a time. Or hunted where there can be and are big predators.

Ammo is like money or sex. You have to have a whole hell of a lot of it to have too much.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Depending on what rifle I'm using, my 30-06 I will have 3 in the belly and an extra 8 in a carrier located in my pack.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Usually four in the rifle, and then four held together with an elastic hair tie in my front pocket.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Originally Posted by SKane
Montana Slings cartridge carrier for me

+1. I carry mine on my belt, also made by Montana Slings. They make great stuff.

Same here. Pat has some great stuff!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane
Montana Slings cartridge carrier for me - in my pack or coat pocket.

With three in the gun (at least) and one in my pants pocket, if I can't get it done with those 4 or 5, I'm probably not getting it done period.

This.

I do a sleeve with loops on the buttstock sometimes.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Originally Posted by milespatton
Long time ago I found some sheaths for folding knives on clearance at Walmart. $1.00 each if I remember correctly. They were light duty and kinda small but hold 3 cartridges just fine. They are the correct length for 06 based rounds and a small piece of Styrofoam on 08 based rounds took care of those. One or two on my belt along with my gps and sheath knife and I am good to go. miles

Good idea! I've got a few such knife sheaths around and will see how various rifle ammo fits.

I have a single finisher round in my right front pants pocket with nothing else in that pocket.

Just back from a few days hunt where I carried four extra rounds in a nylon knife sheath. Very good!

FWIW, we were hunting where we sort out white tails from between grizzlies, black bears and cougars -- and I prefer three rounds in the rifle. That is partly because it feeds smoother on the first round with less spring pressure than when I put in a max of four that the magazine holds.

Last edited by Okanagan; 11/19/14. Reason: clarity
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Normally I have two rifles and a 10-round ammo wallet for each. When I leave the truck I grab a rifle and the appropriate wallet.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a couple of the leather cartridge holders my wife got for me so I pretty much have to use them.

One has .250 ammo in it and the other has .300 Savage. They get carried in the pack depending on the rifle carried that day.

If I'm using the Marlin .41 magnum I don't carry extras besides whats in the rifle, It holds plenty.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 53 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,929
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.