Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
All,

For years I have carried extra ammo in a sling with pouches that can hold 3 rounds each. With 3 in the gun, 1 in my pocket and 9 more in my sling, I always had plenty. Now the velcro has worn to the point I don't trust it to keep rounds from falling out so now I need a new system. I've considered a sleeve with loops on the buttstock, a wallet style folding pouch on my belt and another sling with loops. Not sure what I like best. How do you guys carry your extra ammo while in the woods?

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Montana Slings cartridge carrier for me - in my pack or coat pocket.

With three in the gun (at least) and one in my pants pocket, if I can't get it done with those 4 or 5, I'm probably not getting it done period.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One round each in my front pants pockets.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I carry two 5-round Federal plastic cartridge carriers in my pack (usually in a zip-loc baggie). I've yet to fire more than 3 rounds at once though, so accessibility hasn't been an issue

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I've always carried 4 in the rifle, one in my pocket and 10 in a folding leather ammo wallet in my pack. My wallet is an old, old one made by Hunter leather in Boise, Idaho. My wife uses a 10 round version made by Allen that is camo nylon. Both of them have elastic loops to keep the rounds separated and quiet.

Found this at Academy.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/allen-company-rifle-cartridge-carrier/pid-99183?N=29812268

Last edited by 280fan; 11/04/14.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
I carry two 5-round Federal plastic cartridge carriers in my pack (usually in a zip-loc baggie). I've yet to fire more than 3 rounds at once though, so accessibility hasn't been an issue

Same here!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I generally use an Uncle Mikes folding nylon belt pouch. It's generally in the front pocket of my backpack with a spare 6-8 rounds. My single shot Whelen and my 7mm-08 carbine wear neoprene buttstock sleeves instead with an extra 6 rounds.

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Whatever is in the gun.

That plus an MTM of some kind, generally 20 rounder, maybe maybe not full...goes in the pack.

Never had a need to fire more than whats in the gun. But will carry the extra always due to follow up wounded deer possibilities at some point, sometimes those can burn up ammo taking any shot that presents regardless of percentage of hit chances.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I like the folders. Frequently don't use a pack and they fit on the belt real well.
On a rifle that is a bit muzzle heavy, I use a buttstock sleeve and it works okay but if I didn't need to balance the rifle I probably wouldn't. I never fill it.

Ammo on the sling and a giant oversize scope just screams Texas.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
With my bolt action rifles, I'd just load the rifle and call it good, or maybe put a few more cartridges in my backpack.

When I started hunting with a Ruger Number One, I started carrying five or six extra cartridges in a plastic cartridge holder (from a factory ammo pack) in the left breast pocket of my hunting shirt. Made for a secure way to carry it, and fast to reload the single shot rifle.

When I want to look all "safari" while hunting with the Number One, I've got a leather cartridge carrier that slips onto my belt. Looks a little goofy though and doesn't offer much protection for the cartridges. A buddy gave it to me.

Guy

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by rost495
Whatever is in the gun.

That plus an MTM of some kind, generally 20 rounder, maybe maybe not full...goes in the pack.

Never had a need to fire more than whats in the gun. But will carry the extra always due to follow up wounded deer possibilities at some point, sometimes those can burn up ammo taking any shot that presents regardless of percentage of hit chances.

For the longest time I was so doggone proud of making a string of one-shot, instant kills that I got my nose pretty high up in the air and would only take what was in the rifle magazine. Even considered just taking one round. Yeah, that high up in the air...

Reality hit one day when I made a bad shot on a deer. Slapped that bullet right into the guts I did. Dang. Deer finally stopped running about 60 yards farther out, and I put another into it, into the lungs. Danged thing fell but didn't die. I ended up shooting it twice more just to finish things. Rifle empty at that point, I learned a lesson. Nose isn't so far up in the air anymore. It was a humbling experience after all those one-shot instant kills. Now I take some extra cartridges in case I mess up and create another goat rope.

And of course I keep working on my marksmanship, which is indeed still pretty good. Yeah, still impressed with my own shooting, but humble enough to know I'm not perfect!

Guy

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I usually have one of the elastic ammo carriers on the stock of my rifle.. Mostly I have about 10 rounds counting the magazine..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I've been carrying one of the Uncle Mikes 10 round holder on my belt for years, I'm on my third one. It is hardly noticeable to me, except if its not there. I have never needed that many rounds for a big game animal, but they are there if need be. It has come in particularly handy a few times when I took to filling my grouse limit with my hunting rifle and head shots.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Long time ago I found some sheaths for folding knives on clearance at Walmart. $1.00 each if I remember correctly. They were light duty and kinda small but hold 3 cartridges just fine. They are the correct length for 06 based rounds and a small piece of Styrofoam on 08 based rounds took care of those. One or two on my belt along with my gps and sheath knife and I am good to go. miles

Last edited by milespatton; 11/04/14.

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I usually have one of the elastic ammo carriers on the stock of my rifle.. Mostly I have about 10 rounds counting the magazine..

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't use a pack but put one rnd. in each of my pants pockets, and 1 in each of the 3 pockets of my vest and the rifle full up ( from 1 to 5), no rattles.-Muddy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got 4 rounds in the rifle & 4 rounds on the sling---Butler Creek brand I think.

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I use one of the 10 round plastic belt holders leftover from a former box of factory ammo (Federal?).

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for all of the replies guys! I like reading all of the different options for carrying extra ammo. I have an extra nylon knife sheath that I can out three rounds in. I always have one of the 10 round federal plastic carriers in my pack but if I need to reload quickly that isn't real handy. I can probably live with an extra three on my belt.

Keep the ideas coming. I'm still very undecided.

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I would not personally want the ammo in my pockets or without protection.

I'm not sure that it matters that much, but I just don't want it any more dirty than I can avoid, and a lot of mentioned methods don't protect it that much in reality.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 42 invisible), 2,736 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,925
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.