Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9310616 11/04/14
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
BSA asked me a while back if my JOC 270 was still coppering up. I hadn't shot it lately but I took it out today, fired 15 rounds, brought it home and ran a patch of Hoppe's through it and let it sit a while, ran two dry patches though the bore and checked...still coppering.

So, I ran some Butch's Bore Shine through it, no dice. I don't mind a little copper but to let it just keep building and adhering to the lands is not good. I'm about over trying to keep it out as it's a no win situation.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JB Bore Cleaning Compound.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That sucks buddy and that is a damn nice rifle otherwise. I was hoping you'd shoot if a few hundred times and the fouling would subside. You may want to try fire lapping it and see if that helps..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Tried fire lapping with Tubb's bullets but I didn't want to go through all of them just used the last three. Even though it still coppers it's not hard to get out. I just wish it was like my M70 7x57. No problems with it to date and a sweetheart it is.

[Linked Image]

Maybe in time it will get better. After I get all the copper out I go over the bore with JB or KG2

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Dear Kitch:

Have you tried using a 270 Win. chamber plug (Brownell's has them), filling the bore with Shooter's Choice and letting it sit upright in a corner for about three days?

That will dissolve the copper, and not harm the bore.

I use a zip-loc bag and a rubber band over the muzzle to keep the solvent from evaporating, and to cut down on the smell.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Did you DynaBoreCoat the barrel like JB suggested in your previous thread?

If not, it seems like you keep doing the same thing over and over, ending up at the same place.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Is it a good idea to dynaborecoat over a rough fouling barrel? You'd think you would want to firelap it first so you are starting off on the right foot????

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I can get the copper out with the stuff I have now. It's just that it comes back again and I know you'll always have some to a degree but I know the difference between a little and too much.

I have not used the DynaBoreCoat. I have used three of the five Tubb's bullets but they didn't seem to do much good. I was hesitant on getting them and firing them but decided I had little to loose. I will say the copper is not as bad as it was.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Dear Kitch:

How about some JB Bore Bright after you scrub it clean of copper?

About 40 passes should help.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If it shoots well even when coppered, then no big deal. Both my pre 64s copper up fairly significantly. More so than any other of my rifles. May be the exception, but they still shoot well and therefore I don't get all that excited about it.

With a couple Douglas and a Bartlein barrels you can hardly see the copper until you patch. With the pre-64's after 20-or less-you can often see the bronze streaks.

I clean them when the season is over. Wipeout makes quick work of the copper. Takes a little more time than the other rifles, but I don't have to sit there and watch while it does its thing.

Again, if it shoots well it is doing well, and you are good to go. If it doesn't then there are others issues to be worry about.

Addition: All mine shoot more consistently after some copper has been laid down and I'm not all that anxious to remove it. If you have a shooter and it wants to keep shooting with copper, then let it tell you what it wants. After all it is a big part of the team. grin

Last edited by battue; 11/07/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I guess I never paid that much attention to this years ago. In fact, I know I didn't. I had a custom 270 with a Douglas Premium barrel and FM Supreme action and that rifle would give 3/4" groups. I never ran JB, KG12 or Bore Tech Eliminator through it. Maybe I need to lighten up and just shoot and enjoy.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I switched to Bore Tech Eliminator and Copper Eliminator. My pre 64's copper pretty good. Alot more than my classics.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mine don't copper too much, but I clean them after every use. I use shooter's choice, but I think they re-named it. I'll have to see what my new bottle says. MC-7 "Shooters Choice". Been using it for years with good results.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Dyna Bore Coat and be done with it.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Anyone care to explain the process of applying dynaborecoat?

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
BSA, there are 50 threads (if not 100) explaining it. It's great stuff. You should look into it.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Like BSA mentioned earlier, will it do any good if the bore is rough?

I just found at least one old thread about it. The trouble with the instruction links mentioned is they no longer work.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6154901/2

Last edited by Kitch; 11/07/14.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Higbean
BSA, there are 50 threads (if not 100) explaining it. It's great stuff. You should look into it.

I know I should. My barrels are probably screaming "bore coat me"!!!! It has to be good stuff. However, I've only read bits and pieces of different threads regarding the stuff. I'll do some research and see what I can scrounge up.

BSA MAGA
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK, I decided to give it a try and ordered some. I've tried most everything else so, maybe this will do the trick.

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I got the goodies today but before I started I cleaned it about as well as can be cleaned and then checked that no copper or anything else was in the bore with the bore scope and it was as clean as an unfired barrel.

I put the Dyna Coat on in accordance with the instructions and now it sits upside down awaiting cure and then next week if it ever gets over 40 I'll take it out to see how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 49 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,186
Posts18,465,749
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.