Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Slavek

Have you considered something better like modern sub $200 fixed power Weaver from Japan? Mounted in alloy Weaver bases and rings of course.

Hell no. Weavers suck. Modern or otherwise... whistle

This set-up is better than any new modern alloy pos weaver. Steel tube is better:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hard to beat a 4x or 8x steel tube Weaver with a Lee Dot.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Easy to beat. Wait until your steel tube Weaver fogs up. They weren't nitrogen purged (one reason why you can unscrew them so easily) and one big reason Leupold and Redfield were superior in their day, and now.

Last edited by Oregon45; 11/04/14.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Easy to beat. Wait until your steel tube Weaver fogs up. They weren't nitrogen purged (one reason why you can unscrew them so easily) and one big reason Leupold and Redfield were superior in their day, and now.

I've never had an issue with fogging, but I also don't hunt in the rain as much as you must. I have had problems enough with a Vari-x III that it went back to the factory for repairs twice. I gave up on the cheap VX-1 Leupolds. I never had a problem with Redfields, except that my dad loved his so much he wouldn't let me keep it on the M700 Remington he gave me.

J
john843 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
bsa, what kind of problems did the vertical Talleys give you? also since you got a 42mm Nikon with a scope cover to fit with room to spare, I,m wondering now if the Talley lows will be low ENOUGH with the relatively slim profile of the non-AO 40mm Leupolds.
John

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just so happens I have a really nice, almost minty in appearance, Buehler set....bases and rings for a Model 70 that I'm going to sell if interested.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by john843
bsa, what kind of problems did the vertical Talleys give you? also since you got a 42mm Nikon with a scope cover to fit with room to spare, I,m wondering now if the Talley lows will be low ENOUGH with the relatively slim profile of the non-AO 40mm Leupolds.
John

The Talley steel rings and bases are built like a tank. I really like the looks of them, but the Leupold DD's are trimmer/lighter and not quite as bulky, and a little more pleasing to my eye. The steel talleys are a tad harder to get the scope crosshairs dialed in. Putting a scope in to them is a 3 handed guy kind of job too. I like simple as most of you guys know by now and the DD's and Talley lightweights are as simple as them come. Absolutely no flies on the steel Talleys though. You are right about the lows still being pretty high for lows. You can see in one of my previous pictures how the Leupold 3-9x40 fit in them. The objective is still off the barrel a little more than I like. As with anything, it's mostly about personal preference. Hopefully the pictures I posted, will help to give you an idea on how different scope/ring combos look. Good luck with it...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A 3.5-10X Leupold in Conetrol's.

[Linked Image]

A 1.5-5X Leupold in Talley QD's.

[Linked Image]

Same rifle with a 1.75-6X Leupold in Michael Scherz bases with Matt Williams rings. The rings being a bit lower than Talley's.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
To my eyes Conetrols are the nicest looking "factory" rings/bases. I'll freely admit they are a pain in the butt to install though, but that is short lived. I have a set on a 700 mtn rifle that I am really warming up to, and as a bonus, to me, they are approx. .100 lower than the previous Talley LWs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh, that is nice!

[Linked Image]

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (41rem, 300_savage, 264mag, 12 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,438
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.