-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Here's one that I can't figure out. I have a truck and a van. The van has separate signal and tail lights so it has an electronic adapter for the trailer lights.
The trailer lights all work fine with the truck so I know the wires and ground are good. On the van, only the tail lights work. However, I have juice at the van's light plug for both turn signals but it just doesn't get through the wires to the trailer lights (yet it works fine with the truck).

The van light plug lights my test light ok but it flashes too fast for my meter to see if it's getting full voltage from the adapter. I'm suspecting that the electronic adapater isn't putting out enough voltage or amperage.

Any suggestions?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Pull with the truck. smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Add this to your favorites and print out. Sure helps.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

Your turn signal filament is also your brake light. Your running lights (tail lights) are the other filament. Does your brake lights work?

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/05/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What type of van, and does it have LED tail lights?

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Patrick F. McManus once had a pretty funny column (in Outdoor Life perhaps?) that dealt with trailer wiring -- and the joys of lying on the cold wet ground under your truck hollering to your helper "Is the brake light on now?".

Reading it won't give you any new insights into your specific problem, but it may make you laugh. smile

John

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It's titled 'Trailer Trials'. It's not all that far off the track.

― George Orwell

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It's titled 'Trailer Trials'. It's not all that far off the track.

Ah, thanks!

With your info, I could find that this story appeared in his 1985 book "The Grasshopper Trap".

Hard to believe that it was that many years ago! I can recall laughing my way through that book...

Actually, I mostly laughed through all of his books! I particularly remember my Grandmother giving me his book "A Fine and Pleasant Misery" for a Christmas present in 1978 or 1979.

I pretty much sat down and read it cover to cover on Christmas day and didn't really socialize that much. My parents said to put the book down -- but at least my Grandmother sure knew that she hit a home run in buying me that book! smile

Oops, sorry for the topic hi-jack! So, below, I include ALL of my knowledge on trailer lights that will help you.

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had some sorta utility trailer since the mid 60s and can appreciate light woes and gremlins inherent in them. More than once I've ripped things off and started over. And eventually the gremlins re-infest things.

Last year I pulled my double axle flatbed up to hunting camp and fetched a mess of firewood home on it. Had no tailights, but the stop/signal lights worked fine.

Coupla weeks ago hauled it to a local woodlot to haul firewood home. This time around, tailights worked fine, had no stop/signal lights. What-efn-ever. It's out back again next to the wood pile.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Bad grounds probably cause 90% of trailer light problems. Tomorrow I need to get it up on jacks and take a good look underneath. The tail lights work but the brighter turn signals might not have enough ground to work. My test light takes almost no juice at all so even the slightest ground will let it light.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Get a test light and start poking through the wire till you find the broken circuit. Or if it is run through conduit you might just run a new wire...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bad grounds are a good place to start. try turning on one turn signal and looking at the other in the dark or low light. You might see the one that is not on flashing. that shows current using that circuit to get to ground. Also i havent messed with newer cars but does your van use a turn signal flasher unit like older vehicles. Vehicles not usually meant for towing had a light duty unit that wouldnt power any extra lights very well.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Here's one that I can't figure out. I have a truck and a van. The van has separate signal and tail lights so it has an electronic adapter for the trailer lights.
The trailer lights all work fine with the truck so I know the wires and ground are good. On the van, only the tail lights work. However, I have juice at the van's light plug for both turn signals but it just doesn't get through the wires to the trailer lights (yet it works fine with the truck).

The van light plug lights my test light ok but it flashes too fast for my meter to see if it's getting full voltage from the adapter. I'm suspecting that the electronic adapater isn't putting out enough voltage or amperage.

Any suggestions?

Guessing it's a Jap van?

The amber turns seem to be a constant problem with trailer lights.

Last edited by ironbender; 11/07/14.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All trailer lights are part time wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Yet they always work when you leave home...

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have a 1972 tri axle flat bed. About every five years, I pull all the wire and redo it. Saves me a lot of grief .

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Yet they always work when you leave home...
Not always. That's my problem now.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then I guess you can't use that excuse when asked by the fuzz.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have a 1972 tri axle flat bed. About every five years, I pull all the wire and redo it.

The Microsoft solution to trailer lights? smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

362 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 42 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,014
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.