Print Thread
Hop To
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Cut 2 inches off the barrel and make it 22 inches. Just had one done and it feels like someone breathed life into it.

Also is in an edge and on its own comes out at 6 lbs 7oz. Nice middle weight.

Last edited by battue; 11/05/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Probably a good combo buddy. I will leave mine as is though. I plan on turning it into a 9.3x62mm one of these days.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Well when you are ready to make the change, and have nothing to lose, for curiosity sake saw the original down to 22 and see what you think.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's funny, I've actually contemplated it, but then realized I already have a good fwt. My classic sporter shoots so well, I'm scared to touch anything on it. I even keep the factory Tupperware on it. I took it out a few days before deer season here and fired off 5 shots. All about 1/2 from the bull, the first 4 went into the same hole and the fifth opened the group up to it's typical 3/4". It's an early classic too. I hear you about chopping barrels. I can't get over how much more I like my 7mm rem mag now that it has a 24" tube. Probably the same affect as cutting the 30-06 down to 22".

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'm thinking of cutting my push feed 300 Win mag to 23 or 24 inches. It currently has a 26 inch barrel and is just to long for a pack rifle. Just need to get over the velocity loss, an elk won't know the difference with a few hundred feet a second loss!

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cutlass, don't be scared of doing this. I cut my 7mm rem mag 26" barrel down to 24" and I think that was the best decision I've made in a long time. It handles so much better, is lighter and I'm not banging it on every damn thing. 26" is just way too long in my opinion and the velocity loss may not be as much as you are contemplating. I've had many 300 whinny's with 24" barrels and they perform quite nicely. It would be a "no brainer" to cut that down to 24" IMHO...

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
BSA, that will be the project gun this winter. It has been through many changes but I always end up putting it back in its cheap plastic stock bc I like how it looks. I think a barrel chop and lighter scope will be its last transformation.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good man. I also like my factory tupperwares. I not only like how they look, but how they handle and feel. I usually apply some stone finish rustoleum and glass bed them and float the barrels. I'm not too finicky and the weight isn't much more than a standard fill or swirly mcmillan. Getting rifles to shoot well in the tupperware is extremely easy as well.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I agree, this gun has been in a wood XTR stock, and a Brown's precision stock. The factory stock has been the only stock it shoots well in and it is light. The factory had it right!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cutlas, since you haven't been here for very long you may not have seen some of my classics in the tupperwares. I'll share that with you. You might get a kick out of them. If I was made of money, all of my rifles would probably wear Mcmillan hunters compact edges or standard fill's. But it is what it is and these factory tupperwares work very well for me:

One of my favorites: It's had about 10 different scopes on it, at least 6 different stocks on it. I had it cerakoted sniper grey because at one time I thought about selling it and wanted to convince myself that after putting some money into it that it wouldn't be wise to get rid of it because I'd be losing money. It's boring and it's a 30-06 classic sporter. I usually take it along to the range when I take my other rifles. It's one of the first rifles I grab when going deer or elk hunting. I painted it with rustoleum stone texture paint in a brown color and glass bedded and freefloated it. This is not the original stock as it originally came with a nice walnut sporter stock. I don't like the sporter wood stocks at all. The ergos are all wrong for my build plus I shoot lefty:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Let's just say it shoots like a house a fire. No need to post any more target pictures.

Classic stainless 7mm rem mag with barrel lopped off to 24". Much better handling. Probably like battue found with cutting his 24" sporter down to 22". I can see that as a good handling rifle too, but I have fwt's with 22" tubes if that's what I desire that day. Anyway, this 7mm has a painted Tupperware (factory) stock. It's also bedded and freefloated and shoots pretty good as well. It's sporting a new Zeiss Terra 4-12x42 scope in Leupold DD's:

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Those are good looking rifles. What year are the stocks I like that they have checkering on them. The sniper gray gives me some ideas to make my gun a little different. I have also seen your pre 64s. They are beautiful rifles, I wish I owned one!

My 7WSM has a black McMillan hunter on it and it's great but pricy. My supergrade is all stock down to the hot glue bedding. I haven't changed anything bc it shoots every load I have put through it under an inch. It was sighted in back in 2001 and I haven't needed to adjust it since, it's just a great gun.

Thanks for sharing some of your guns.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
These are 5 and 6 digit classics, so they are roughly 92-95. I also just put my Nikon monarch 2.5-10x42 on my 7mm rem mag. The 4-12 Terra is just not as easy to get behind as the Nikon...:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by battue
Cut 2 inches off the barrel and make it 22 inches. Just had one done and it feels like someone breathed life into it.

I just picked up a nice 30-06 sporter off here. I may do exactly this. With a edge and Leupold 6x I'd be just over 7 lbs which is perfect.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by STS45
Originally Posted by battue

I just picked up a nice 30-06 sporter off here. I may do exactly this. With a edge and Leupold 6x I'd be just over 7 lbs which is perfect.

Before throwing your money away perhaps you should ask them how much 2" of barrel weighs....hint

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
It is not about weight....hint, hint

Well it could be, in that you are removing it from the best possible location.

Last edited by battue; 11/19/14.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey, hey, hey! Don't go rubbin' off all the good Injun' mojo we got on that 300!

AND, your 300 Winny was your 10th birthday present so don't go messin' with it - says your father!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
20 yrs ago! I might chop it to 16 inches bc two isn't enough weight savings!! I'll make it a flame thrower.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Hunted with a machinist Bud today and asked him approximately how much two inches cut off a sporter barrel would weigh. He said around 3-4 ounces. Doesn't sound like much, but when it comes from the end of the barrel, it certainly do make a difference with regards balance in the hand.

Last edited by battue; 11/21/14.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep, I think the 2" I cut off of my 7mm rem mag was about 4 oz's. That's a 1/4 pound buddy. Every ounce makes a difference sometimes...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CreekWarrior
Hey, hey, hey! Don't go rubbin' off all the good Injun' mojo we got on that 300!

AND, your 300 Winny was your 10th birthday present so don't go messin' with it - says your father!

I still say cut 2" off. More mojo can be made grin

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 73 invisible), 2,792 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.