Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Last year was the first year in 30 years I didn't fill my tag and that didn't set well with me. This year my enthusiasm was low due to the fact I really didn't have anywhere great to go, and the deer numbers are way down in Montana due to disease and hard winters. So just finding deer is a major problem this year. I went out last weekend and passed up 16 young mule deer bucks. It was nice to see that many bucks, but spikes, forkhorns, and really small 3x3's don't light my fire at all. Anyway last night after work I knew I had about two hours of daylight that I could go hunt. I called a land owner and they gave me permission to hunt on their place. They also mentioned they hadn't seen any deer. So I wasn't overly confident as I left my truck to hike up the mountain. In fact I had zero expectations to see much of anything. This was weighing on my mind along with the fact I have very little time to deer hunt this year. To make a long story short, as I neared the top of the ridge and rounded a corner I was surprised to see a small herd of deer. Even more surprising was the fact there was a buck chasing around the does and he wasn't a forkhorn. I ranged him at 260 yards. I then laid down, got him in my scope, and gave him a hard going over. I knew he was far from the biggest buck I've ever shot. In fact he would qualify as very "average". The thoughts about limited time, and a bird in hand, came to mind and I decided to take him. I settled in for the shot, squeezed the trigger and heard that very satisfying WHUMP of a solid hit. He took a few step and tumbled down the steep slope. By the time I reached him it was getting dark. I took photos as quickly as I could and then reached for my headlamp in my pack. The friggen thing was dead! So I had the fun task of quartering this buck out in the dark (the no gutting method) and then transcended my own carcass off the mountain in the dark. Made no less stressful by the fact that one misstep on that super steep rocky slope and I would wind up in the obituaries. I made it back to the pick up long after dark, ran home and recruited my two youngest boys to come help me pack the buck out. We got all our head lamps working, returned to the buck, loaded everything up and were home by 9pm. I wish they could of been with me during the hunt itself but both were busy at the time. Glad they were free when the work started though. smile

Here are my two Sherpa's. laugh
[Linked Image]

My son took this photo of me (the old fat man) on our way out.
[Linked Image]

Me with the buck shortly after taking him. So there you have it. I killed an average antelope buck this year, and now an average mule deer buck. So just call me Mr. Average. My buck is down and I can get back to more important things like fishing, coyote hunting, and possibly helping one or both of my daughter get a buck or two.
[Linked Image]

Is it Friday yet?
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Your Average sounds pretty damned good, OFM.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice buck in my book.

Looks like you got the light load.. That's how it should be, dad.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Excellent! Nice buck!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You did well sir!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You are starting to suck in a big way......

cool beans cool

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing wrong with that buck, nice kill.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice story/buck! Congrats!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Your Average sounds pretty damned good, OFM.

Exactly!!!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations! An average buck and an average antelope equal a lot of good "average" meat in your freezer. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
+1, and having two sherpas haul your deer beats a big buck anyway!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats to you - looks like a nice buck & one I'd be happy to take anytime!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by smokepole
+1, and having two sherpas haul your deer beats a big buck anyway!

Sherpas like that can eat a lot of venison...

Congrats on getting your buck. I've had some of those night-time pack outs. Ugh.

Was a real help when my own "Sherpa" helped me pack out a good buck a few years ago.

Guy

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That's about as good as it gets and as mentioned you might need to adjust your "average" scale..good going on a nice buck done right!

Golden............
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've yet to get a chance at a Mule Deer of either sex, so I'd call that one a dandy. Great job and thanks for taking the time to write it up!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have been fortunate to kill a lot of mule deer. Given the conditions this year in Montana, I'm more than happy with this buck.

Is it Friday yet?
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Good post, hunt. Sorry, it won't place in the dink contest.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Eyeball, there is always next year. smile

Is it Friday yet?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just remember that 49% of the bucks are below average! So you did great. Have fun Clint

just for Fun
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,083 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,080
Posts18,463,886
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.