Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
So I am changing up my rifle battery and wanted to get some advice. At the moment, I am fairly open minded, though I do have some specific requirements.

I am looking at a two rifle set.

For my primary hunting rifle, I am looking at a 300 win mag, though some have suggested I do a 7 mag to get lower recoil. I plan to use this rifle for everything in NA, including dreaming about Alaska and shooting long range at the range. I am used to shooting a 375, so I am not without some experience with recoil.

For this rifle, as it needs to be carried, I am looking at a Weatherby Vanguard put together by the custom shop. Essentially, it will be one of their range certified guns in an ultralight bell and carlson stock. Basically, a range certified Backcountry, sans the fluting and cerakote. With my scope and talley ultralights, it should come in at around 8.3 poundsish. I do not want to go higher than 9, and 8.5 seems about right.

For the second rifle, I plan to use it mainly as a practice and training rifle at the range and in some classes I plan to take. The idea is to become comfortable shooting at long range in practice, to make shooting at much more moderate range in the field possible. So for this rifle, I am much more unsure. I don't want anything close to the 300 (or 7mm if I go that way), I thought a good companion that would be good for the 1k range I have locally would be a 223 at the bottom (cheaper ammo, no recoil, but not good at that range), a 243, or a 6.5 of some sort(creedmore, 260 remington?).

Weight wise, fairly heavy barrel for stiffness and cooling. I won't have to carry it around a bunch, so heavy is fine.

I am more solid on the direction of the hunting rifle, much less so on what would make a good companion for it given my needs.

Thanks!

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Buy an off the shelf Vanguard .223

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I hunted with a 300winmag for over 12 years. Most of that it was my only centerfire rifle. After that time, I realized some damn long shots have been made with a 30-06.

Second gun should be a .223.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Being a "Extreme Firearms Enthusiast", I do have many guns to pick from for hunting or just going to the shootin' pit to shoot.
Our favorite gun, just to shoot, is a H&R Ultra varmiter.223. Super accurate. My wife has used it the last few years as her deer gun. She has made many, spectacular head and neck shots. This is a very reasonable priced firearm, and I think would probably fill the needs of what you want.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
7mm RM and 243 Win.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by sidepass
7mm RM and 243 Win.

Since you are planning on buying a vanguard 7RM I would alsogo with a Vanguard for the second gun in either .223 or .243.

Ted
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
.223 and 300 WSM

Add a 12 gauge (and forget the .22LR since there is no ammo for them) and you've got NA covered.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pair of Kimber 84m's in .223 and 7-08

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would go with the .300 and .243. A .223 is nice for cheap ammo and light recoil, but isn't going to be nearly as good for longer-range practice as a .243 with higher-BC bullets.

You might consider making the .243 the same basic set-up as the .300, including weight and scope, and you might end up using it on more big game than you think.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Wow, lots of good and fast advice, thank you!

I thought about a 223 in a vanguard, but the twist is very slow for some reason. As I want to be able to shoot probably out to 1k with it, I would at least need a faster twist barrel for heavier bullets. So if I went with a 223, I would have to go with another brand.

Which leads to the 243. Need to check on what the twist is from Weatherby on those, but it sounds like many would agree having two guns similar if not identical would be a good idea. So I'll look into that.

And I do have a younger son who needs a light recoiling rifle to hunt with next year...so that might be a good thing. As a round, I really think 243 may be the perfect round for our central Texas deer, and it's easy to find ammo, though Id be handloading high BC bullets for it for my uses. What kind of twist do I want to look for here?

John, I heard you have an article coming out in Guns this month on the 300 win mag. Based on your recommendation above, sounds like fortuitous timing for me, I'll be looking out for that one.

Any thoughts on the Range Certified vanguards? I talked with the custom shop and they told me they are generally looking for .5 to .75 inch shooters, which is what I am looking for. Having spent the last couple years of savings on a couple rifles that would not shoot (bad luck..and yeah, had others, including two accomplished competitive shooters, try them and get the same results), I am looking for a more secure choice. Plus, the stocks fit my long neck and thin face better than the 'classic' stocks seem to. Seeing that it was actually tested and knowing the load that delivered the results is worth the extra couple hundred it will cost me to get the rifle RC'd when they assemble it for me.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by davet
I hunted with a 300winmag for over 12 years. Most of that it was my only centerfire rifle. After that time, I realized some damn long shots have been made with a 30-06.

Second gun should be a .223.

Smart man. I don't care for the recoil of the 300 win mag myself. They recoil more than any 338 win mag I've ever had. Exact same rifles compared side by side and the 300 winny always kicked harder.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I can't see a 2 rifle battery for North America including a magnum of any sort.

For the second rifle, 223.

David

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Either 30-06 and 223,
or 7RemMag and 243.

If long range is in the equation, the latter has it in spades.

If you like the Vanguards, then go for it--they are good rifles. Most any rifle model will do, but I'd keep a matched pair if it were me.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd go 30-06 and a .243.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I'd go 30-06 and a .243.

Hey I was gonna say that! Well, I guess I will say a .243 on the light end, and a .270.....

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Either 30-06 and 223,
or 7RemMag and 243.

If long range is in the equation, the latter has it in spades.

If you like the Vanguards, then go for it--they are good rifles. Most any rifle model will do, but I'd keep a matched pair if it were me.

I used to shoot Winchesters. In fact, I just sold my Win 375 and am about to sell my 270 from long ago. I just realized, after buying my son a Vanguard, that they fit me much better and so I find them easier to shoot (compared in the same caliber at the same time).

A matched set sounds smart because that way everything translates exactly. Seems like that's the one thing everyone agrees on so far!

The long range part, probably not so much during hunting, but definitely during range time, that's something I like.

Still on the fence, somewhat, on the calibers. But I'll note that two or 3 of my favorite gun writers/personalities like the 300's, including John who just weighed in, so I'll probably end up there. My only concern is hearing about the recoil. When I run my recoil calculator and compare it to my 375 (which was light weight for a 375), I should be cutting recoil by 33% and recoil velocity by about 10% or so. So it should be quite nice for me in comparison, but I keep hearing people voice concerns about the recoil. Maybe it's relative.

Anyway, keep the ideas coming!

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Well, damn. Looks like a Vanguard in 243 is not going to work. I just checked Berger's site to see what the twist requirements are. Nothing over their 90 grainers will run in anything less than a 1/9. Weatherby puts a 1/10 on their 243's. So I would have to run 90's or lighter, which pretty much cramps the BC's.

So that means either a 243 from someone else, or a Vanguard in something else. Their 6.5 creedmore vanguards run a 1 in 8 twist, which will run all the way up to their 140's.

The recoil would be higher, however....but it seems most would suggest keeping a somewhat matched set as more important than perhaps the caliber etc....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For long range consider a rifle for F class competition. Look at the NRA website for matches near you.

http://compete.nra.org/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a gunwriter but just a guy with some perspective. 2 rifles? Forget it. Hey, golfers use nine - twelve clubs and the size of the game, read ball, never changes. Ranges run from 150 to 450 yards but you get three to five shots to get there.

North American game can run from dinky deer to big moose and ranges can run all over the place. Get a few rifles designed for the most likely task at hand and don't try to get through life with one or two. Be a rifle nut.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by catorres1
So that means either a 243 from someone else, or a Vanguard in something else. Their 6.5 creedmore vanguards run a 1 in 8 twist, which will run all the way up to their 140's.

The recoil would be higher, however....but it seems most would suggest keeping a somewhat matched set as more important than perhaps the caliber etc....

Ruger and Remington are the only ones making 9 twist 243's that I am familiar with.

If it was me, I'd happily grab the 6.5 Creedmoor in the Vanguard. Ammo availability isn't as good of course, but the Hornady ammo for the Creedmoor is very good, and priced right.

The barrel will last longer, and to me it just seems like a more versatile chambering.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Still on the fence, somewhat, on the calibers. But I'll note that two or 3 of my favorite gun writers/personalities like the 300's, including John who just weighed in, so I'll probably end up there. My only concern is hearing about the recoil. When I run my recoil calculator and compare it to my 375 (which was light weight for a 375), I should be cutting recoil by 33% and recoil velocity by about 10% or so. So it should be quite nice for me in comparison, but I keep hearing people voice concerns about the recoil. Maybe it's relative.

Recoil is a VERY subjective thing. Some whine and cry about the recoil of a 270 win.

The 300 WM is one of my favorite cartridges and currently have a Win 70 Winlight. All up including ammo it comes in about 7.5 lbs or so. Yes, it has some kick but NOT extreme to me. (for hunting not long bench sessions)

The WORST kicking rifle I've EVER had was a Ruger 77 tang model in 338 WM. I didn't have it long and have NEVER missed it. FIT and recoil pad are of utmost importance.

Sounds to me like you don't have a problem with 300 recoil. Listen to yourself.

Last edited by jwall; 11/07/14.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The 6.5 Creedmoor is a fine cartridge, and if you go that route your 7mm magnum or .30-06 or .300 (or whatever the "big" rifle turns out to be) will get much less use than you planned. Instead the 6.5 Creedmoor will turn into your all-around rifle, and the other into a specialized rifle.

Exactly how much BIG game hunting are you planning to do?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
How much BIG game hunting am I planning to do? That actually is very hard for me to answer in less than a page. Suffice it to say, it's complicated.

I guess what I WOULD say is that I do recognize the needs vs wants issue. A 300 is probably not a need, though Nilgai, Eland cow, Elk and maybe Bison cow can realistically be on the menu in the next year or two (not all, but one or two of these).

That still does not make it a need, but again, it's complicated.

I do see the 6.5 creedmore as being uncomfortably close to the 300, which was one reason for this original string in the first place. So maybe a little explanation of my mindset would help, I'll try and be brief by witholding too much explanation or reasoning behind my thoughts.

But basically, the 300 becomes my 'do anything anywhere' rifle. It is both somewhat practical and fantastic, considering my tax bracket. But it's fun to dream, and I will get to stretch it's legs at the range.

However, recognizing it's higher recoil, and that it's slight barrel will heat up rather quickly, shortening my practice time at the range, upon advice of others, I decided to trade my 270 (too close to a 300, does not fit me well, light barrel etc.) for a heavier barreled, lighter powered cartridge to use at the range. Here a 10 pound rifle is not a hinderance, and with a target weight barrel, it will cool more quickly, be stiffer, less recoil than 300 for all day shooting etc. So this is to be more of a training and range gun. Kind of (but not really) in the way 22's have served as cheaper trainers in the past, but one for punching steel out to 1200 yards (hopefully!).

Hence, kind of starting with a 223 at the bottom and a 260 remingtion at the top. The goal is long range target shootability to help translate skills to shooting the 300, which I will do until it overheats or I do.

So in summary...think of the 300 (or 7mm, or whatever) in terms of the one gun for all of North America...everything. Has to be carried, so relatively light, etc.

And then think of the lighter gun as more of a companion trainer/target rifle to be used in classes and at the range when I have tired of shooting the 300 etc.

I know, clear as mud, right?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Light 308 for hunting. Heavy 308 for practice.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Hence, kind of starting with a 223 at the bottom and a 260 remingtion at the top. The goal is long range target shootability to help translate skills to shooting the 300, which I will do until it overheats or I do.

I think you're misjudging the Creedmoor. With a touch less powder capacity than the 260Rem, I think it fit's your goal very well.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
your two rifle battery is a .30-06 ad a .243

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
To the OP,

You've received good advice from several different perspectives here, and seemed to like the idea of a .300 and a .243.
The fact that Wby's ,243 barrels are twisted slower than you like should not be an issue. Barrels are relatively inexpensive, and easily changed.

My combo for years was the .243 and the .300W, with the .300 being a rebarrel of an old m700.

Last winter brought me an old model 70 in .300 h&h, custom stocked in a McMillan, that I am coming to really appreciate for it's superb handling and easy shooting charm...

I were you, I wouldn't get too locked in on any one type of rifle for my pair til I had one in hand to shoot for a while.
In short, experiment...

Also, the thought of a heavy barrel for your "practice" makes little sense to me.
To me, serious practice means deliberate low volume shooting whist keeping track of conditions and variables. When practicing on a range i "book" my shots into a range book.
But, when practice turns serious, I wander in search of vermin, to shoot from field conditions and unknown range. A light rifle is better in this regard...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
catorres,

I have used the .300 Winchester Magnum considerably in both North America and Africa for a wide variety of game, including such supposedly super-tough animals as trophy elk and blue wildebeest. It's always worked very well, and the recoil doesn't bother me, even with bullets in the 200-grain class. The .300 with heavier does have certain advantages over smaller cartridges, but it certainly isn't a necessity for, say, trophy elk, as some people claim.

On the other hand, my wife and I have used the .270 on all the animals you just listed as BIG game possibles except cow eland, and they all died promptly. And I wouldn't hesitate to use the .270 (.or .308 Winchester, or any similar cartridge) on cow eland.

Unless you actually plan to hunt brown bear, a bull wood bison in the Northwest Territories, or maybe a trophy Alaska-Yukon moose, the .300 certainly isn't even close to a necessity. Which is why I said that if you buy a rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor (or .270 or .308 Winchester, or any other similar round) you won't be needing/using the .300 very much.

It's great to dream of going after really big game, but unless you're actually going to do it soon, buying a big rifle and using it as your all-around rifle may or may not work out. One of the worst flinchers I've ever guided was a young man who intended to be an Alaskan guide, so bought a .338 Winchester Magnum, intending to use it as his only rifle for a year or so before he headed north to find his dream. I ended up as his guide on a pronghorn hunt in Montana, and by the end of the hunt he was using my .220 Swift, because that's how low we had to go to get rid of his flinch.

You said you're used to the .375 H&H, but I have also been on African safaris with hunters who started out shooting their .300, .338 or .375 magnum fine. But after several days of shooting it at EVERYTHING they started to flinch. Luckily, most of them also had a lighter rifle along, and switched--and their percentage of clean kills went up, usually to 100%. Which of course means the magnum wasn't a necessity in the first place.

I'm not saying you can't handle a .300 Winchester. I am saying there's no reason to use a .300 for everything, and there are disadvantages.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
catorres,

I have used the .300 Winchester Magnum considerably in both North America and Africa for a wide variety of game, including such supposedly super-tough animals as trophy elk and blue wildebeest. It's always worked very well, and the recoil doesn't bother me, even with bullets in the 200-grain class. The .300 with heavier does have certain advantages over smaller cartridges, but it certainly isn't a necessity for, say, trophy elk, as some people claim.

On the other hand, my wife and I have used the .270 on all the animals you just listed as BIG game possibles except cow eland, and they all died promptly. And I wouldn't hesitate to use the .270 (.or .308 Winchester, or any similar cartridge) on cow eland.

Unless you actually plan to hunt brown bear, a bull wood bison in the Northwest Territories, or maybe a trophy Alaska-Yukon moose, the .300 certainly isn't even close to a necessity. Which is why I said that if you buy a rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor (or .270 or .308 Winchester, or any other similar round) you won't be needing/using the .300 very much.

It's great to dream of going after really big game, but unless you're actually going to do it soon, buying a big rifle and using it as your all-around rifle may or may not work out. One of the worst flinchers I've ever guided was a young man who intended to be an Alaskan guide, so bought a .338 Winchester Magnum, intending to use it as his only rifle for a year or so before he headed north to find his dream. I ended up as his guide on a pronghorn hunt in Montana, and by the end of the hunt he was using my .220 Swift, because that's how low we had to go to get rid of his flinch.

You said you're used to the .375 H&H, but I have also been on African safaris with hunters who started out shooting their .300, .338 or .375 magnum fine. But after several days of shooting it at EVERYTHING they started to flinch. Luckily, most of them also had a lighter rifle along, and switched--and their percentage of clean kills went up, usually to 100%. Which of course means the magnum wasn't a necessity in the first place.

I'm not saying you can't handle a .300 Winchester. I am saying there's no reason to use a .300 for everything, and there are disadvantages.

catorres

Read this^^^^^^^^^^ then re-read it..., I don't think you find a better answer to your question.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

This...

In all the years that I paired the .243 and the .300W, it was the .243 that went just about everywhere and did just about everything...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Same with me johnw,except my "big gun" is a 30-06

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can shoot 40-50 rounds of 300 RUM off the bench in a t-shirt and it doesn't bother me a bit. BTDT. And I still would not want to have a 300 WM as my primary hunting rifle. It just doesn't make sense, and isn't needed. I use a 7mm-08 or 308 more than anything else. 243s as well. And I own damm near everything there is including 300WM, 30-06s, 7mmRM, 35 Whelen, etc., etc.

FWIW, I prefer the 7mmRM over the 300WM, and basically 7mms over .308s in general.

Having only 2 rifles would be rough.........

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I advised a nephew to go with the kimber 84m in .223 and .308...

He got the .308 and just uses it for about everything...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think you should switch it to a 3 rifle battery grin

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
.223 and .308 or 30-06 in the same model.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Two 6.5 Creed's would not be a bad choice.

A sporter, and a pig.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Following the light/heavy idea, my two 30-06's.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Wow, lots of experience and advice here. Honestly, not really sure how to address it all or incorporate it. As I mentioned before, there are lots of details about my motivations that I am leaving out so as not to bore everyone. Wish the lot of you could come over and we could just chat it out over a kegger. Probably still take a few hours to sort it all!

So I am reconsidering based on what I am reading and at the moment, the permutations are endless.

But a couple points. First, the advice about not needing a 7 or 300 mag is well taken, I concur, for sure. Much of where I am going is about 'want'. Honestly, if I were to try and predict realistic and conservative need, anything off the shelf will work. Going further, I could probably just use my son's rifle and not even have one of my own. So everyone is correct, I don't need a 7mag, 300 mag, 3006, etc. Any one will work, as well as almost any other caliber at my local sporting goods store. With good bullets, and pie pan accuracy at range, the hunting can get done.

But I am playing as much as needing. So what I am wanting is a long range hammer (for fun at the range)that is also useful for hunting (low weight etc.), and that I can enjoy knowing it is a great and capable 'all around' cartridge, even if my hunting reality never reaches 'all around'. I like shooting big guns, my 375 was a hoot to shoot. The challenge and feeling of putting a big powerful bullet precisely on target at distance is fun. I shot rams with it in west Texas, not needed, obviously, but just fun. I guess what I am getting at in as short a way as possible is admitting that my motivations are not entirely logical or purely practical, I know that going in.

But I do recognize that 30 pounds of recoil gets tiring and light barrels take a long time to cool down in Texas summer heat, so I decided on something also more of a range gun, that would be lighter in recoil and good for shooting all day long at 1000 yards or more.

With that little bit of additional information, please gut check me here.

Part of my like of the 300 is that it seems incredibly versatile. I handload pretty much exclusively (cost reasons and flexibility). Looking at my load books, I can pretty easily load it down to fairly light 3006 levels. I do this with my son's 270, and it shoots very accurately with the light loads. I did this with my 375 as well.

So, not rhetorically, why would I get a 3006 or 308? If I want it to recoil lightly, I'll put 2 scoops of raisins in instead of 3. And if I want more horsepower, well, I can fill it up and run it as fast as need be. What am I missing? That is the reason I have not considered buying a 308 as a companion, though maybe I should. It just seems if I want less recoil, I'll just use reduced loads instead.

Second thought, putting aside what I mentioned above, and clarifying that the second rifle is a long range play/practice gun, maybe a 308 DOES make sense. I could use the same bullets, there are lots of rifles available. Etc. The problem that I stick on is that there are other lighter recoiling loads that do better at 1k (260 rem, 6.5 creedmore, 243 maybe?)

Lastly, if I were to abandon the 300 as too big and get something smaller, many have mentioned the 3006. But it seems maybe the 7mag would be better to fill both the hunting and long range play need...sameish level of recoil, but flatter shooting and great BC's on lighter weight bullets. 280 AI would be good, but I want a factory rifle, not a custom.

Well, if I sound conflicted, you are right. So much good advice to consider that is, fortunately, making me really think through what I am doing. That will take me a few days, there is a lot to consider and I like to take my time and work through things. In addition, there are a lot of details and background that are just too tedious to post here, so that makes it complicated, but thank you all for sharing your opinions and experiences. They are definitely thought provoking and helpful!

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
IF I was to do it again and wanted 'hunting' rifles for North america. It would be, 223/5.56, 270 and 338.
I know that is one too many.
But you can't go wrong with 243 and 7mm or 300WM

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Following the light/heavy idea, my two 30-06's.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, this is very close to what I had originally envisioned.

The lighter barreled rifle, for me, would be what I would carry and hunt with, but would also be used as much as possible at the range for shooting long range (and for taking classes). It's strength would be it's lighter weight, and flexible horsepower. It's weakness would be that the light weight barrel would heat quickly in Texas and the recoil on full house loads would limit productive range/class time (though the last could be overcome easily with handloads)

The heavy barreled rifle would be (in some ways) like a 22... primary purpose is an easy day of long range shooting at the range, good for learning the basics of long range shooting in classes, cheaper shooting, faster cooling, and having a second rifle to shoot while the 'primary' cools down (which is hard when it's 100 degrees outside!). This rifle would probably get more volume shooting due to it's faster cooling, if not also the lower recoil. This last point is why I am looking for something dramatically smaller than a 7mag or 300, and initially considered a 223. Not because the recoil of the 7 or 300 would be so bad, because I can download them if it bothers me for a while, but because I am essentially looking for '1000 yard 22lr'. By that I don't mean 22lr levels of recoil, but I do mean it in the way people used to use 22's for, as a cheaper, light recoil practice alternative to their hunting rifle.

But yeah, your setup is similar, in some ways, to what I envisioned. I just want the heavy weight rifle to be even lighter recoiling, hence my draw towards the 223 and the 243, and maybe a 6.5.

Frankly, if it were not for the weight issue, I would probably just get a Sendero or an Accumark, or something like that, in 300 or 7 mag or whatever, but something with a stiffer, heavier barrel so it would cool quickly. Then I would not even do a two rifle solution. I would do one rifle...reduce the loads as needed for shooting all day, crank them up if I needed the power.

But I don't like carrying a 10lb rifle. Done that, and I don't care for it.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Dre
IF I was to do it again and wanted 'hunting' rifles for North america. It would be, 223/5.56, 270 and 338.
I know that is one too many.
But you can't go wrong with 243 and 7mm or 300WM

Yeah, this last is what was originally suggested to me. I think one of the things is that I have done a poor job communicating what I am really trying to accomplish and what I intend to do with these rifles.

You could almost say one if for hunting everything and, to a lesser degree, light 'tactical' fun at the range. The other is pretty much purely about long range target shooting for fun and training.

They are not both hunting rifles. Someone suggested an F class rifle, and this is probably pretty close to what I had in mind for the second gun. If hunting is 'practical', then the second is very much not that. The first is primarily 'practical', secondarily 'tactical'.

But even with that said, yeah, I don't realistically need a 300 or 7 mag. Though I can load them down, that is a reality I need to really think on and balance any downsides with just the fun of having that much power at my disposal.

Honestly, I really liked hunting with my 375...it was fun.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
It it was 1 rifle, a .30/06 or .300 Winchester.

For 2, I'd consider the .25/06 and the 7mm Remington Magnum if the lower 48 is a definite and the .300 Winchester if you want the keep the hunting door ajar.

The .25/06 will cover all the light end and creep into "opportunity territory" and the 7mm Remington is a do all as far as you can do it cartridge.

Either way, both rifles will feel similar and have the same bolt throw. Both should be scoped the same so they are twins.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm no writer, but the goals that you state for your 2 rifles don't sound realistic to me.

I've run through 50 rounds of rimfire and 5 rounds of 25-06 (and some honey-do's) since my above post. I can and do shoot right here at the house, and I still wouldn't have hours in the day or week for what you propose.

But... You're not me, and if you can swing it, it still seems that you need at least 3 rifles for your stated purposes...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
'Keep the hunting door ajar'

I like that! It pretty much sums up the way I think about these things.

That constant possibility of 'what if' that keeps you pushing forward to do more than you thought possible.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

I used to have a lot more, but I traded them all in for a couple kids wink

The 8 year old, btw, would gush over your avatar, being a serious Maiden fan....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For a carry BG rifle i'd look very hard at a 270 WCF from NULA for a long actioned rifle.And a 6.5x284 NULA for a short one.With TTSXs you could handle just about anything on 4 legs in NA and not have the recoil of a 7mm mag or the 300 mag.You might actually enjoy shooting it.
NULAs are expensive.But weight wise quality wise and everyother wise you will be all done.
If I had followed my own advise I could have saved an awful lot of money...
For playing around double duty stuff.
I'd look at something like MontanaMarines bigger rifle in a 6.5x47 Lapua.I like MMs set up on that rifle and a 6.5x47 kicks less than a 06.Dont give up much of anything to a 06 at a grand either..
We shoot 6.5x47s all summer long at 1000 BR matches and do very well.Figure 2000 to 2500 rounds of BR accuracy before you need a barrel change.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
One rifle and I would also go with a 270 or 7/08.

Two rifles and I would go with a 243 paired with a 30-06 or 300 WSM.

Did someone already say that?

grin

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by SamOlson
One rifle and I would also go with a 270 or 7/08.

Two rifles and I would go with a 243 paired with a 30-06 or 300 WSM.

Did someone already say that?

grin

Yeah, or pretty close to it!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

It is easy to make the correct choice, as there is only one. Get two 222 Remingtom magnums and when you get a little extra money buy a third...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Hard to beat an 8 twisted 243 for target shooting and most of your NA hunting. For slightly bigger game, a 280ai will fill things out nicely.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
318 Westley Richards and 6.5X55 would put you in good stead. cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Calvin
Hard to beat an 8 twisted 243 for target shooting and most of your NA hunting. For slightly bigger game, a 280ai will fill things out nicely.

Is there a factory 243 that comes with an 8 twist?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
7mm RM and 243 Win.

I kind of like this pair. Plenty of brass and commonly available ammo and components. In the 7 RM category lots of stuff will work but I would not want any odd ball rifle looney cartridges. Too hard to find ammo on hunts if you should need it for some reason. But in truth there's a bunch that will work on anything.

The 7 RM is a legit LR cartridge, recoils moderately and kills anything on the continent. The 243 does the other target/varmint/light game work.

Personally I would not want just one rifle in the 7RM/30/06 class...planned BG hunts are expensive in time and/or money.If you have a last minute problem with a rifle you should have another ready to go right away that you trust and shoot well.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin

Is there a factory 243 that comes with an 8 twist?

I know of faactory 1/9 twists.
Are you truly stuck on factory?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by BobinNH
7mm RM and 243 Win.

I kind of like this pair. Plenty of brass and commonly available ammo and components. In the 7 RM category lots of stuff will work but I would not want any odd ball rifle looney cartridges. Too hard to find ammo on hunts if you should need it for some reason. But in truth there's a bunch that will work on anything.

The 7 RM is a legit LR cartridge, recoils moderately and kills anything on the continent. The 243 does the other target/varmint/light game work.

Personally I would not want just one rifle in the 7RM/30/06 class...planned BG hunts are expensive in time and/or money.If you have a last minute problem with a rifle you should have another ready to go right away that you trust and shoot well.

Bob,
Common sense and practicality is not the purpose of the "innernet", although you did allow a second cartridge into the conversation if only to appease the OP.

There was an article series (very briefly) about 40 years ago (Don't recall the Mag) whereby 2 writers took opposing views on a cartridge.

I think the market is ready for a new series.

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I used to have a lot more, but I traded them all in for a couple kids wink

The 8 year old, btw, would gush over your avatar, being a serious Maiden fan....

Ha! I haven't seen Maiden since the late 80's....Lol I couldn't resist Eddie with a sniper rifle when I first saw it.

Since you have the 8 yr. old, either get a 223 or 243 twisted 1-8. Then get a 7mmRM and call it good. If you ever find yourself wanting larger, replace that old 375. You will have all the bases covered....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
30-06 and 243 Win.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
7mm RM and 243 Win.

Bob,
Common sense and practicality is not the purpose of the "innernet", although you did allow a second cartridge into the conversation if only to appease the OP.

There was an article series (very briefly) about 40 years ago (Don't recall the Mag) whereby 2 writers took opposing views on a cartridge.

I think the market is ready for a new series.

John

John I am sure you have noticed that I tend to "lump" cartridges by class...won't deny there are differences but for myself results have been pretty much the same with various cartridges within the "class", i.e., everything I shot ended up dead. smile

For me it's always been more about the hunting and less about the gack,but I became a rifle nut anyway.

As to a new, more contemporary series, how about a 300WSM and a 6XC....I could live with that. wink

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/09/14.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
+1

The 300WSM should not be overlooked.

It does a lot, with manageable recoil.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
7mm RM and 243 Win.

A case of do as I say . . .

I guess when the 7 Mashburn went SAAMI I missed it. wink

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Since this thread keeps limping along, I'll change my vote. I believe in the 51-rifle battery, since that's exactly how many centerfires are in my rifle collection right now.

You can easily round them all up in a few years of buying and trading, especially if you lose money on each deal.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I kinda liked your first advice.
Infatuation with fast twist is OK, but I have friends shooting longer .243 bullets out of 1/10 barrels and doing great.

And the .300 Winchester has always been a cornerstone cartridge, for me.

And I have enjoyed beating up on those staked to their anglophilic tendencies who tout the .30 Holland.
But am quickly coming to appreciate the rifle I recently gained in that chambering.

It's a particularly well set up M70. and is a joy to shoot...
Might just be what the .300 Win was intended to be...

Last edited by johnw; 11/09/14.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
haven't read the whole thing, someone mentioned .223 and 7mmm-08. Pretty good advice.

I'd recommend a .223 and a .308, in the same rifle and same scope, stocked the same.

then buy 1000 rd case of .223 and of .308.

If you shoot that up, you will know your rifles, and I expect you'll be a pretty good shot @ 1000 yds.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Since this thread keeps limping along, I'll change my vote. I believe in the 51-rifle battery, since that's exactly how many centerfires are in my rifle collection right now.

You can easily round them all up in a few years of buying and trading, especially if you lose money on each deal.

Pure rifle loonyism ,51 is a lot to treat properly without any of the others getting jealous!!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I could make do with just an 06 or 7mmRM. Two, a 375 H & H and an 06. You have a practical 150 grain range with the 06 (100 to 250 grain bullets), and either cartridge can be loaded down and shot with cast bullets.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
cat,

Have you tried out the Rem700 BDL stocked rifles? It seems to me that they would give you the stock fit that you desire (similar to the Vanguard). Likewise, the newer CDL stock might also fit you very well. If so, you've got some great factory options.

I would go a BDL Varmint Special in 243 (gets you a fast-enough twist for 105 grain bullets and will vaporize varmints if desired with a 55 grain bullet).

Match that with a standard BDL in 270, 7RM (the best choice), or 300WM (all of which will match the basic trajectory of the 243), depending on how much recoil you want to deal with. You'd have matching platforms with matching trajectories that get you where you want to go, and have all kinds of upgrade options available.

If you prefer, you can get a Rem700 "tactical" 223 heavy barrel with a 9 twist, and match that with a 30-06 to have all the same advantages.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Whelan: Hey we are playing games here... grin

This is for two rifles only and i am not limited to that. The Mashburn stays. wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
wiw,
A few pairs come to mind. I asked this question 20 years ago on the Shooters board. If I had only taken that advice and run with it... What a long, expensive, and largely fun journey it has been...;-)

Classic and practical: .30-06' and .375 H&H
Even more classic and less practical: .300 H&H & .375 H&H
Remington centric and fun: .223 Ackley Improved/7mm-08 Ackley Improved
Shootable and capable: 6mm Creedmoor/6XC and .308 Win/.30-06'
Just because: .257 Weatherby Magnum and .375 Weatherby Magnum

The last two are so sexy I just might have to build a pair...

The one thing I would keep in mind is to take a look at available brass, brass quality, bullet availability, etc.. I love the Holland twins but brass is either hard to get, damned expensive, or both. Same deal for the Weatherbys... Except for the Remington Brass on the former...

An efficient and FUN 6 combined with a heavy thirty would be hard to fault...

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
It'd be real hard to beat the practicality of a 223 or 22-250 and a 308 or 7-08.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Think BC and velocity...

I.E. a 300WM w/ 165 Partitions at 3k and a 223AI with 75 AMax at 3k damn near shoot on top of each other. Only difference is the amount of recoil on your end and the amount of ass on the other.

Since drop is dialable and wind is voodoo, I'd get the voodoo factor as close as I could.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
50 BMG and 17hmr.

Grin.... second choice 30/06 and .223.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Well, I spent the day taking my son hunting and it seems while I was out this thread took on a life of it's own!

I think what I need to do is build up a 51 gun battery like John, than I could probably take everyone's advice!

BTW, had a couple of 375's in the past. LOVE that round, maybe will get back to it some day. But just sold my last one, to finance this new rifle, so it will have to wait a while till I can do a full custom to get what I want. IE, when I don't have so many mouths to feed, and guns to buy for little ones!

More seriously, does any factory .243 (yes, for cost sake, I am limited to factory rifles) come in an 8 twist? The fastest I have seen as of yet are Remington and Savage, both with about a 9.25.

And if not, does it really matter to be limited to 90 grainers or whatever the limit would be? I just find it really hard to believe that all these great BC 6mm heavies can only be run out of custom guns, but maybe that is the truth of it?

As for the 7mm v the 300, still on the fence, but it will be one of these, I am quite sure. They both have their strengths to my mind.

On the BDL question someone posed, I have not really looked too carefully at these. I'll have a look at the site tonight and then maybe hit the shop tomorrow to give one a feel.

The one upside to the weatherby, other than it fits etc., is that I have a very good price from the custom shop on a rifle configured the way I want it, but also test fired (RC), and the data supplied to me. I don't think I could possibly have a custom built even close to the price, let alone have it test fired and guaranteed etc. Having the experience I have had in the past year with rifles, accuracy and lost savings, this mitigated risk has a lot of value to me at the moment.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C

Ha! I haven't seen Maiden since the late 80's....Lol I couldn't resist Eddie with a sniper rifle when I first saw it.

Since you have the 8 yr. old, either get a 223 or 243 twisted 1-8. Then get a 7mmRM and call it good. If you ever find yourself wanting larger, replace that old 375. You will have all the bases covered....[/quote]

Seems like the 7mag and a 243 has a lot of fans. Replacing the 375 will come someday, I hope. I'll need to do some additional research on both of these and what is available out there. But again, it seems popular.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
[quote=johnw

And I have enjoyed beating up on those staked to their anglophilic tendencies who tout the .30 Holland.
But am quickly coming to appreciate the rifle I recently gained in that chambering.

It's a particularly well set up M70. and is a joy to shoot...
Might just be what the .300 Win was intended to be...[/quote]

I have to admit, I have always loved the 300 h&h. That is such a classic cartridge, I thought that it would be cool to have with 375.

My friend was recently given one as a gift from his father. Pre-64 winchester, new condition unfired, in the box! I believe his grandfather bought it originally and just held on to it.

He has carefully laid the original stock aside, and put a McMillan on it, and took it hunting this year.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
And I have always loved the .300 win. Or at least have used it from the mid 70s on.

I am coming to grips with the reality that some of the coolest rifles made were discontinued around the time that the .300W was introduced...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
catorres1
Ruger has a 9 twist,Rem has a 9 1/8. Guys on here say they've shot 105g A-Max's out of them and the bullet stabilized.

I had a Rem. and shot a variety of 100g bullets with no problems.

I'm not aware of any factory 243 with an 8 twist

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A lot of guys are shooting the 105 amax through 1/10 barrels and doing great with them...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am a fan of concept. I use a .243 Win for the light cartridge and a .264 Win Mag as the heavy. I have used the 7mm Rem Mag in the heavy role and it worked great.

Both rifles are essentially identical except for the cartridge.

Mine are a bit heavier than your thinking but it works for me. This picture is 5 years old but except for a barrel replacement or 2 and a paint job now and then I have not change a thing.
[Linked Image]

I have shot a bunch of 105gr VLDs in factory Rem .243 Win with great results.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
30-06 and .223,,,, yep sure is boring but it works

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A little late to the thread and not as experienced as previous posters, but was in the same situation as you.

I have used the 7mmRM for hunting in the US. I have not shot any elk or bears, but from what I have read and seen, with 160gr Partitions, which is my load, I shouldn't be too handicapped should I get the chance to go after them.

Wanting to get some more practice and work at long range (and with a 5yo who at some point I want to get shooting) I thought hard, researched and settled on the .243win. As it turns out one came up in the classifieds here and it was too a Savage 110E. So now both are long actions Savages, even better.

So I have now 2 SaLvages in almost same config , the 7RM does have a wooden stock and 24" bbl, the 243 has the factory one tupper one and 22".
Re: twist rate, I just loaded up my first batch of 95gr BT rounds to see how it work, but with Fed 100gr factory stuff shot well. I have a friend that shoots 105 Amax with excellent results in M70. No need for custom barrels.

Reading opinions from more experienced user I guess I wasn't wrong in my choices... even if for the wrong reasons (the 7RM I bought used from a friend's friend, when I moved here so I just bought it on the cheap).

Last edited by Sponxx; 11/10/14. Reason: twist rate
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
In my opinion most guys waste way too much time worrying about the type of rifle, and what the chambering is going to be. They should be focusing on the purchase of a schit ton of brass, powder, and good bullets. Both practice bullets and your hunting loads.

Also people buy schit based on very low probabilities. i.e. "I may hunt elk one day."

My "pair" are a 8" 22-250 and a 7-08. They're pretty much identical and they cover 99% of what I do. And for the other 1%? You're gonna buy another fuggin' rifle anyway so don't worry about it.

These are my babies:

[Linked Image]

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Agree with Travis.
Whatever you decide on, shoot it a lot, you will know the gun better than any ballistic program. My choice on the 7RM was because it was offered to me when I had just moved to Colorado and anything new or store bought was out of my budget.

The 243 I scooped it from the classifieds, I had decided I wanted something to get more trigger time on a centerfire and 243 would work in Peru too, so getting familiar is a plus. The fact that it matched the previous gun kind of sealed the deal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

They should be focusing on the purchase of a schit ton of brass, powder, and good bullets. Both practice bullets and your hunting loads.

Also people buy schit based on very low probabilities. i.e. "I may hunt elk one day."

Travis

Good stuff right there......

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have followed this thread for awhile and have waited to post. This is my two cents.

1. Buy matching rifles that you like. I cannot emphasize this enough.
2. 300 caliber for your all around. WSM, Win Mag, H&H because you do not have to load them to max all the time.
3. I would get a 264 caliber for your play rifle. 260 or Creed.
If you are really concerned about recoil, get a 223. If you are concerned about limiting reloading overhead get a 308.
This rifle matching your 300 is most important IMO. If it is a 243, 7mm-08, so be it.

Then on to this!
In my opinion most guys waste way too much time worrying about the type of rifle, and what the chambering is going to be. They should be focusing on the purchase of a schit ton of brass, powder, and good bullets. Both practice bullets and your hunting loads

Arcus Venator
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
And when you are choosing your "light" chambering keep cost in mind there too.

500 count boxes of the 50gr. V-Max are about $70.00.

500 count boxes of the 168gr. HPBT are about $135.00.

Double the cost and we haven't even factored in powder difference. Not to mention your inability to shoot the heavier schit as much as the lighter schit.

If they're more or less identical rifles, you should be able to shoot the fugg out of the lighter rifle and gain pretty much the same benefits.

Food for thought...

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have similar to Travis, except mine is an AR in 223 and a 7-08. I like the idea of two rifles that are very similar, though.

Nothing I'm going to shoot in the next five or ten years can't be slayed with one, or both, with the right bullet.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Cat, A 308 and a 308. Muddy

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This is another nice combo. Again, almost identical. 2-7X33 Leupolds. Sako Forester in .243 and a Vixen in .222 Rem [bleep].

Does it matter that brass is hard to find for the .222 Remm Mag? Not when you have friends that find and send you tons of the schit.

Of course most people east of the Mississippi think topping out on a .243 or a 7-08 is plain stupidity. But the reality is, my family and I hunt deer, coyotes, and varmints more than anything else. I've lived here five or six years now and I have hunted elk twice. I think. I live on the Hi-Line and while I would like to spend more time in elk country, the reality is time right now doesn't allow for much of it. So I buy and shoot accordingly. I think most people would be best served by purchasing based on reality instead of "some day..."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Travis

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Now you are just showing off your Sakos. That Forester is very nice!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I gotta show 'em off while I still own them.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Pair of Kimber 84m's in .223 and 7-08

This^, and I've seriously contemplated thinning the herd of centerfires rifles at my home down to these 2.

Those 2 would cover any hunting I'm ever likely to do in the future. They certainly cover anything I've done in the past.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I live in elk country and my big gun is currently a 6.5x47L. Of course, hunting elk isn't my favorite, but I go at least a few days each year.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a pair to stay with...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I think most people would be best served by purchasing based on reality instead of "some day..."

Travis

This is why you were made a moderator.

I always laugh when the big bears come up in a lot of conversations when 95% + of hunters will never even see the big bears, much less hunt them.

308 and 243.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm the Moderator in Chief around this mofo.

Straight blastin' bitches.

Dong Kong

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I am a fan of concept. I use a .243 Win for the light cartridge and a .264 Win Mag as the heavy. I have used the 7mm Rem Mag in the heavy role and it worked great.

Both rifles are essentially identical except for the cartridge.

Mine are a bit heavier than your thinking but it works for me. This picture is 5 years old but except for a barrel replacement or 2 and a paint job now and then I have not change a thing.
[Linked Image]

I have shot a bunch of 105gr VLDs in factory Rem .243 Win with great results.

Very nice! What actions and stocks are those? Also, any idea on the contour of the barrels, are they identical in that respect?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm of similar mind as Travis.

Thus my set up is a pair of left handed Ruger Hawkeyes with identical McMillan stocks wearing Leupold scopes. Ones in 223rem, the other 308win. Very boring selection of calibers but feel they are good ones for me.

As funds allow, I'm in the process of buying [bleep] of brass, primers, and bullets. Powder is still tough to find but slowly getting better.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
cat,

Have you tried out the Rem700 BDL stocked rifles? It seems to me that they would give you the stock fit that you desire (similar to the Vanguard). Likewise, the newer CDL stock might also fit you very well. If so, you've got some great factory options.

I would go a BDL Varmint Special in 243 (gets you a fast-enough twist for 105 grain bullets and will vaporize varmints if desired with a 55 grain bullet).

Match that with a standard BDL in 270, 7RM (the best choice), or 300WM (all of which will match the basic trajectory of the 243), depending on how much recoil you want to deal with. You'd have matching platforms with matching trajectories that get you where you want to go, and have all kinds of upgrade options available.

If you prefer, you can get a Rem700 "tactical" 223 heavy barrel with a 9 twist, and match that with a 30-06 to have all the same advantages.

To follow this thought, the Rem M700 line will probably offer the widest selection of cartridges that you would be interested in. Bell & Carlson offers a Weatherby stock for the LA M700: http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-460/Bell-%26-Carlson-Medalist�/Detail

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
On the 700, I noticed that B&C offered a stock I like for the 700. For the range rifle, that would make it fit the Weatherby I like. However, it looks like a 243 would be the only choice, as they don't offer a 6.5 of any kind. That would be fine except if I went 243, I think I want to be able to run the longer Berger's, and no factory rifle appears to have the twist for it.

I need to run the numbers and get some advice on how a 243 running 90 grainers would do at 1k, but looking at the BC's, it does not seem optimal.

I know some folks have been running heavier Amax's successfully, but I don't want to be limited to only one bullet that would work successfully. Had that problem already and ran into it that the particular rifle simply did not like that bullet, and there were no other choices.

So I definitely want choices. I can't believe Remington doesn't make a 260 Remington rifle, other than the short light barreled model 7 cdl!

Last edited by catorres1; 11/11/14.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
If you do go the M700/B&C Medalist route you might look at the .25/06 as your range rifle. Similar ballistics to the .260 and it's a long action cartridge. I think that Weatherby stock from B&C only comes in LA.

Last edited by releehweoj; 11/11/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
a 300 wm and a 223 would be good

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
On the 2506, the problem I have with it is that this second rifle is really a 1k range rifle, and like 270's, there really are not all that many great bc 25's. Otherwise, that's a great choice!

The 300 and 223 would solve the issue, as weatherby offers a nice heavy barrel 223, but the twist is very slow. So not so good for 1k, and that's a real stretch for a 223 as it is.

But if I go away from having the same rifle, then it's a bit easier. Savage and Tikka both make some good possibilities etc.

I'll just have to think it through over the next few weeks and see where it all shakes out.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I take that back about the Weatherby 223...just found a sub-model they offer with a 1 in 9 twist barrel.

So if I went with a 223, that would be the one and I could have that matched pair I wanted.

Still, the 223 and 1k shooting? Seems like not so good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're in over your head. Buy one rig, don't shoot past 500 yards, live happily ever after. "What if's" are going to drain you.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
30-06 and 22LR.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by CRS
I have followed this thread for awhile and have waited to post. This is my two cents.

1. Buy matching rifles that you like. I cannot emphasize this enough.
2. 300 caliber for your all around. WSM, Win Mag, H&H because you do not have to load them to max all the time.
3. I would get a 264 caliber for your play rifle. 260 or Creed.
If you are really concerned about recoil, get a 223. If you are concerned about limiting reloading overhead get a 308.
This rifle matching your 300 is most important IMO. If it is a 243, 7mm-08, so be it.

Then on to this!
In my opinion most guys waste way too much time worrying about the type of rifle, and what the chambering is going to be. They should be focusing on the purchase of a schit ton of brass, powder, and good bullets. Both practice bullets and your hunting loads

I agree, 30-06 and 9.3 in Sako-85's, both with 6X Leupolds

Adalwolf
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Can I have a third vote?--

Any cartridge from the .223 to the 7mm-08 for the small rifle, and any cartridge from the 7mm-08 up to the .375 H&H for the big rifle.

Or two 7mm-08's.

John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
My picks would be a .25-06 and of course a .300...

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SLM
I think most people would be best served by purchasing based on reality instead of "some day..."

Travis

This is why you were made a moderator.

I always laugh when the big bears come up in a lot of conversations when 95% + of hunters will never even see the big bears, much less hunt them.

I have a couple of rugs that said the same thing but they're not laughing anymore.
Travis, a moderator? What is this world coming to? And Trav, GFY. said with affection.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mule_Deer,

I think we should take your second opinion and add one more rifle, thus having 52 rifles for 52 weeks in a year. Problem solved! laugh

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Leo,

Sounds good to me!

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I can shoot 40-50 rounds of 300 RUM off the bench in a t-shirt and it doesn't bother me a bit. BTDT. And I still would not want to have a 300 WM as my primary hunting rifle. It just doesn't make sense, and isn't needed. I use a 7mm-08 or 308 more than anything else. 243s as well. And I own damm near everything there is including 300WM, 30-06s, 7mmRM, 35 Whelen, etc., etc.

FWIW, I prefer the 7mmRM over the 300WM, and basically 7mms over .308s in general.

Just thinking about that would make me wake up, screaming... shocked

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My choices(no one else's, I'm sure) are .30-30 Win and .35 Remington.

But there's always a 7mm-08 at the ready.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two Faux Ti's.....
And a partridge in a pear tree. Is it too early?

Were I to ditch everything I owned and start from scratch, it'd be 3:

223 semi chub twisted for heavies in a ClassicSWFA 10MD
1:8 260 22" sporter in a naked Edge, 6x42 M1
7wsm Montucky, 3.5x10 M1

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I reconsidered and came up with the same suggestion of a .25/06 and 7mm RM then gave myself an out as it is a recommendation for someone else.

I'd likely choose a .30/06 and a .458 Win Mag but I could live with the advise for others.
John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
Two Faux Ti's.....

7wsm Montucky, 3.5x10 M1

Dude! I think Boxer hacked into your account!

John Stark.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nothing to due with OP's original question, but my 2 rifle battery is a 6.5X55 and a 9.3X62. Both CZ550, the 6.5X55 is a full stock.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've got a pair of Model 70's ones an 30-06 and the other will be a 25-06.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by 16bore
Two Faux Ti's.....

7wsm Montucky, 3.5x10 M1

Dude! I think Boxer hacked into your account!

He'd never own any of that schit, 'cept the bottom one.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The problem with the 300 win mag is it leaves you needing something more than a 223 as every hunter needs a nice lite to pack easy recoiling mid caliber to cover most of there hunting needs.

The problem with that is you really should have at least one 223 because you'll really be missing out on one of the most fun to shoot calibers.

I have no choice therefore other than to recommend 2 rifles.

7/08

Thanks
Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 11/11/14.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Can I have a third vote?--

Any cartridge from the .223 to the 7mm-08 for the small rifle, and any cartridge from the 7mm-08 up to the .375 H&H for the big rifle.

Or two 7mm-08's.

John...You posted that knowing they'll be arguing on here over which two 7mm-08 rifles to choose!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
On the 700, I noticed that B&C offered a stock I like for the 700. For the range rifle, that would make it fit the Weatherby I like. However, it looks like a 243 would be the only choice, as they don't offer a 6.5 of any kind. That would be fine except if I went 243, I think I want to be able to run the longer Berger's, and no factory rifle appears to have the twist for it.

I need to run the numbers and get some advice on how a 243 running 90 grainers would do at 1k, but looking at the BC's, it does not seem optimal.

I know some folks have been running heavier Amax's successfully, but I don't want to be limited to only one bullet that would work successfully. Had that problem already and ran into it that the particular rifle simply did not like that bullet, and there were no other choices.

So I definitely want choices. I can't believe Remington doesn't make a 260 Remington rifle, other than the short light barreled model 7 cdl!

The Remington 9 twist in 243 will run all of the 105 grainers without any problems almost all of the time (AMax, VLD, Scenar, etc), so you need not worry about being stuck with one bullet for the range.

Remington is now producing a 260 full-size with an 8 twist, which would be right up your alley also.

The Remington 9 twist in 7Mag will run all the nice bullets for that caliber, and will dupe the trajectory of the smaller chamberings.

If you want factory, the Remington or Ruger are the way to fly due to twist rates. The Remington has stocks available that seem to fit your desired ergonomics.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Dakota,

Which rifle are they offering in 260? I did not see that on their site as of yet.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Too many variables, too many different hunting venues to generalize.

Here in LA, if I wasn't going out West and just hunted locally, it would be very hard to beat a 30-06 and a .223, both high quality, accurate rifles with appropriate glass. That combo would cover just about any type shooting/hunting we would ever do.

Boring maybe...

DF

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Too many variables, too many different hunting venues to generalize.

Here in LA, if I wasn't going out West and just hunted locally, it would be very hard to beat a 30-06 and a .223, both high quality, accurate rifles with appropriate glass. That combo would cover just about any type shooting/hunting we would ever do.

Boring maybe...

DF

Not really boring, practical!

I think that one thing that makes answering questions like this difficult is that it is impossible, or very difficult, to really understand what the need is from a short post. Everyone's answer is probably correct, even if they disagree, if you take into account the specific circumstances, needs and desires of that person and their situation.

While I have not been able to point to one post here and say 'that's the way to go', hearing all the arguments from the various perspectives has helped me think about and consider a lot of things that I would otherwise not have thought of. I think I would probably have made some expensive mistakes if I had not read all these posts, which lead me to additional research etc.

So while I have not finally made a decision, I have been able to add a lot of important data points to my consideration that are helping me to formulate a course of action that will fit MY specific needs and wants.

Ultimately, I'll probably end up with 3 rifles, one of them being a 223. But that one will have to wait a bit. Still working on the other two, but mainly, it's the long range bench rifle that I don't have finally figured out.

But thanks to all for the advice and perspectives. It has been illuminating to say the least, and very helpful!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like 243win and 9.3x62 for two non-magnum broad brushed rifles that would cover a ton of ground. An alternative would be something along the lines of a 223 and 30-06. If hell bent for leather to shoot a magnum, maybe 223 and 300wm for two guns. My opinion, the 9.3x62 can be loaded to run on the heels of the 338wm for flat shooting at big stuff as well as on the heels of the 375HH for shooting at the largest stuff. The 243 covers most chores from varmints to mid sized game, especially in the states that currently forbid using the 223 for deer sized game.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yet the schittier 6x45 is legal.....

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by GaryVA
I like 243win and 9.3x62 for two non-magnum broad brushed rifles that would cover a ton of ground. An alternative would be something along the lines of a 223 and 30-06. If hell bent for leather to shoot a magnum, maybe 223 and 300wm for two guns. My opinion, the 9.3x62 can be loaded to run on the heels of the 338wm for flat shooting at big stuff as well as on the heels of the 375HH for shooting at the largest stuff. The 243 covers most chores from varmints to mid sized game, especially in the states that currently forbid using the 223 for deer sized game.

Good choices, got'em all. Great rounds except for the crowd that likes to shoot across canyons. We don't have canyons down here, but long shots across beanfields and down power lines are pretty common.

I just had to build a 26 Nosler, even though I have a 1/2 MOA Krieger barreled 6.5-284 and a Brux barreled 7RM that's about as accurate. Just couldn't help myself... blush

Am I a Loony or what... grin

I had more than a two gun battery when I was in High School and that was many moons ago... smile

DF

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Dakota,

Which rifle are they offering in 260? I did not see that on their site as of yet.

Well, it appears maybe they never offered them yet, or that they ran out of stock, or that they decided to lie, or that Remmy is doing whatever Remmy does not to sell product. It was supposed to be an 8-twist SPS version announced about one year ago. Here's some links:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...products_id/90809/Remington+700+SPS+260/

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/8987246/Re_Anybody_seen_a_700_SPS_260_

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Buds had them in stock a few weeks ago. Must be popular.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Something else just came to mind.......
Gary Sitton used to build rifles in pairs. I recall one pair was a 280AI and the second a 338AI.
Another had the 35 Whelan Improved hut I don't recall what the smaller caliber choice was.
John

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
7mm-08 for the win! Plenty of power for any of the hunting you describe, catorres1, and flatter shooting than a 30-06 beyond 1000yds with the right bullets. I know you want complicated answers, but truthfully, the answers are really simple, given today's bullets and the long, effective record of a medium 7 on huge animals.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
So I am changing up my rifle battery and wanted to get some advice. At the moment, I am fairly open minded, though I do have some specific requirements.

I am looking at a two rifle set...

Go with a 24 volt system. I've heard good things about Varta.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone brought up the 338 Lapua for long range bench gun? Or is that too much gun?

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Dre
Has anyone brought up the 338 Lapua for long range bench gun? Or is that too much gun?

Most benches are shot at close range so you don't need a .338 Lapua for that.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wonder how the shoulder would be after shooting a bench competition round with a 338 Lapua.... I know for a fact I would start to flinch--

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you are starting from scratch, and willing to trade what you have to start over, and can go relatively high dollar, one way to go would be a Blaser R8 with two barrels. I'd probably go 243 and 300 Win mag too as mentioned.

With the same scope you'll have pretty much an identical set-up weight-wise and ergo's going from one to the other. And you'll have a quality rig

I did this myself including 243, 30/06, and 375 barrels albeit each with different scopes
matched to my perceived use for each.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by GaryVA

Good choices, got'em all. Great rounds except for the crowd that likes to shoot across canyons. We don't have canyons down here, but long shots across beanfields and down power lines are pretty common.

I just had to build a 26 Nosler, even though I have a 1/2 MOA Krieger barreled 6.5-284 and a Brux barreled 7RM that's about as accurate. Just couldn't help myself... blush

Am I a Loony or what... grin

I had more than a two gun battery when I was in High School and that was many moons ago... smile

DF

It is an affliction isn't it?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'm getting to this party late but my vote is for a 250 savage and a 358 norma magnum grin

PennDog

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
thought I saw the OP wants a 1000 yard gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dre
thought I saw the OP wants a 1000 yard gun.

Plenty of 1000 yard guns; not many 1000 yard shooters.............especially in a 15-20 mph 90 degree crosswind. laugh

MM

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Wow, I thought this thread had died, so had not checked it in a few days, but I see the party continued.

I decided what I wanted, theoretically. But actually FINDING that has been a new challenge.

Perfect rifle(s) for me...300 wm in range certified Vanguard Backcountry. Fits me, it's light enough to make the weight I want, and I like it. Problem is there are not range certified backcountries, but Weatherby can assemble one for me fairly close for a surprisingly cheap price through the custom shop. About 1k total, but no cerekote. That would make it like 1300. No fluted barrel, though, but I am not sure I wanted that anyway.

Based on advice I recived here, the second would be a match. So a RC'd Vanguard in a B&C stock (fiberguard) 260 or 6.5 creedmore, heavy barrel.

Does not exist, and would be impossible to get from weatherby without going mental (for me) on the price.

However, I CAN get an RC'd Varmint in 308 with a 22" barrel, 12 twist for close to half price right now. The forearm is different, but the rest is the same as the ultralight I want.

So I called the instructor at the shooting school I am trying to get stuff bought for to attend. He suggested a 260/6.5 as well. But said barring that, a 308 would work fine, and would allow some sharing of bullets with the 300.

More importantly, as many of you mentioned, for my purposes, he highlighted the benefit of having two rifles that are essentially identical. As he put it, that way you don't have to learn some things twice when switching guns. In other words, like some of the advice here, he considered having a matched set as a very big benefit for my specific needs.

So some other folks suggested a few other options to get myself into a 6.5, a couple savage options like the LRP rifle, and I'm going to try and find one to 'try on'.

But at the moment, that's the direction I am heading. Wish it were a few other things, but I think it's probably the best fit for what I need based on price and availability. And eventually, if I can pull the cash together, I'll have it rebarreled to a 6.5 or whatever.

BTW, for the 7-08 folks, I considered that round too, but like the 6.5's, it's not available in the rifles I am looking for.

Last edited by catorres1; 11/18/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're payin the bill at the end if the day and only have to satisfy one person. Now you gotta update when its all said and done.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're just going with two rifles, I wouldn't be scared to build one or both. Seems like the smaller rifle doesn't come in a configuration you really like. Why not look for a used one in the same cartridge family and have it rebarreled? A 243 or 308 shouldn't be too hard to come by.

Something like this + $300-500 dollars for a rebarrel and it looks like you have or close to what you want?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/962577441/WEATHERBY-VANGUARD.htm

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If they are close to identical, don't mix up your ammo between the two before you head up a mountain with your son.

I predict the 300 will end up being a waste of $1K. The 6.5-whatever will see all the use.

Nostradave

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
But no worries...a 7-08 and a .22-250 are far enough apart that you wont mix up the ammo...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If they are close to identical, don't mix up your ammo between the two before you head up a mountain with your son.

I predict the 300 will end up being a waste of $1K. The 6.5-whatever will see all the use.

Nostradave

Agreed.

David

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ingwe
But no worries...a 7-08 and a .22-250 are far enough apart that you wont mix up the ammo...

It's the gift that keeps on giving.

David

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

You would think.

Travis

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And shouldn't it be " Nostradavus"?

The spelling Nazi in me will not be quelled....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
And shouldn't it be " Nostradavus"?

The spelling Nazi in me will not be quelled....

I'll spell my not-name however the fugg I want.

Travis

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Fine!

I blew up..

I lost my head..

I wont let it happen again....

GFY

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
GFYH.

Davis

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Theres a really funny thread in the elk hunting forum.

Im gonna go check it out.....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
GFYH.

Davis

[Linked Image]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
All threads about me are good.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have two stainless short action M700s right now, one in 7-08 and one in 223.

The 7-08 is in a green painted stock and the 223 in a black painted stock.

Simple

John Stark.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I cannot believe anyone would own or even use a 700 action.

I am typing this naked.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I cannot believe anyone would own or even use a 700 action.

I am typing this naked.

Now I want to poke my mind's eye out.....

John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2 guns for everything Huh? How about fudging a little to satisfy the 1K yard LR itch...

I'd run a Tikka T3 Hunter Grade 6.5x55 that are now sneaking back into the market slowly for the every day Deer Shooter, which it will excell at ...BTDT ....& pair it with a Tikka Sporter in 6.5x55 for LR fun & games that it's designed for, plus the flavor of your choice in the Big Brother like a 7RMg or 300WSM that either caliber would cover nicely.

Otherwise you could approx the same equasion in Ruger's, mostly from CDNN in a 6.5 CM SS/syn 24" barrel + a 6.5CM SS/Lam Target & a Big Brother of your choice too, although I'd probably not get in the the RCM's in anything.

Ain't picking JUST 2 Guns fun???
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I have two stainless short action M700s right now, one in 7-08 and one in 223.

The 7-08 is in a green painted stock and the 223 in a black painted stock.

Simple

Same boat. Faux Ti 260, Faux Ti 6x45. I've got an itch for another 270 though. Maybe Faux to round out the bunch, but lopping a 270 Montana to 22" is becoming an intersting idea.

Had both my Faux's at the range and one had yellow tape on the muzzle, the other red. Fella asked if thats how I tell them apart.

Yup....(?!?!)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you wanna play LR games, shoot 22LR at 300+ yards. Cheap fun...

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by pointer
If you're just going with two rifles, I wouldn't be scared to build one or both. Seems like the smaller rifle doesn't come in a configuration you really like. Why not look for a used one in the same cartridge family and have it rebarreled? A 243 or 308 shouldn't be too hard to come by.

Something like this + $300-500 dollars for a rebarrel and it looks like you have or close to what you want?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/962577441/WEATHERBY-VANGUARD.htm

This is sorta what I was looking at, except the I am likely going to start with an RC varmint gun that I found at about half price. It has the precise stock I want, channel is the right size for the heavy barrel, same trigger I want etc. I'll shoot it in 308 for a while, eventually will swap the barrel for a 260.

I actually got to handle one today while looking for a couple Savages I wanted to check out. I liked it even better in person, so I am 90% sure this is the way I am going to go. Just need to go ahead and sell a Winchester rifle I have and I should be golden.

BTW, the reason I am not keeping or using the Winchester is that it is a long way from what I want right now, wood, sporter barrel etc. It is worth more sold as is than to chop it up for parts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Something else just came to mind.......
Gary Sitton used to build rifles in pairs. I recall one pair was a 280AI and the second a 338AI.
Another had the 35 Whelan Improved hut I don't recall what the smaller caliber choice was.
John

I MISS Gary Sitton. He was an excellent writer and general rifle looney...

Regards, Matt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Going AI on BOTH of those chamberings make this so much more interesting.

I'm reminded of the 7mm-08 AI that Mule Deer wrote about awhile back from Kenny Jarrett... Was a heavy contour short tube and if memory served it was one of the most accurate rifles he had ever shot...

Regards, Matt.

Cat, here's my two cents for what it's worth. You obviously have had numerous rifles and have shot the larger calibers. After reading this thread from front to back it truly seems like you are just hell bent on getting a RC Vanguard from a custom shop but you are only torn on it because of the price.

From experience, you will never be happy without following your heart. Just about everything presented to you could be and often is the best of the best for the person who suggested it. And like you, they would not be seeing it any other way my friend even if they nod and say they appreciate each others choices.

As you're selling off yet another gun to justify paying for this upcoming purchase along with numerous other comments you've stated, it sounds like price is a huge factor for you. Even though you seen content to be around the $1300 price point. I would question how much money you have set aside for optics. Given that for most long range applications that most folks tend to spend about twice what they paid in rifle on their optics. And fine shooting rifles can be had or even built in your garage from $500 up to $5000. Depending on your tax bracket and what your wife will let you spend without divorcing you on the basis of insanity.

Do you already possess said scopes, or will that need to be purchased as well. At $1300 per rifle X 2, and that would probably suggest about $1500 per optic X 2. That's mighty close to the $5K range for a guy who's selling one rifle to buy another. I'm sure every single person on this forum bleeds out for you as they've all been in this situation before. No one wants a cheap rifle and everyone would LOVE the really exotic of the species. But fantastic rifles are a lot like sports cars and hookers. If you have to ask how much, then you can't afford the finest ones. This isn't to bash your infinite pondering, but at some point as someone eloquently put it you're beating yourself up.

If you can't realistically just drop the cash for the rifle (and that's the lower cost of your equation) how are you going to properly dress this doll and then feed it. As 1000yrds is nothing to sniff at you're definately stuck in the range of finding something friendly for getting that job done. Seems like that's the more important reality that keeps popping up, with hunting as a secondary.

I grew up and was raised in the middle of a swamp in south louisiana. Had a .22 in my hand before a bb gun. They moved me up to a bb gun because it was cheaper to feed. When that finally gave out they moved me up to a pellet gun, as it was cheaper to feed than the .22. Christmas gifts usually came from the more generous family members of something along the lines of a sweatshirt and a box or two of bulk .22 ammo. When I'd go out critter gittin, I took a .22LR. A hand me down that was old and wore out by the time I'd seen it. To this date, even though sometimes it'll barely feed from the underbarrel magazine I can still cover 10 shots with a dime at 75yards long as I do my part. What's a .22 good for in the hands of a kid, or any other hunter from down in that area. Everything from squirrel, rabbit, deer, gator, and ex-wife. They shoot coons out of trees and knats off a dogs ass. Same can be said of the old .22 pistols. Fast forward 30+ years, and I've got a .22LR and scope combo for under $500 that'll shoot golf balls at 300+ yards. I thought big rifles were 30-30's for the longest. And much of the hunting I've been around my whole life, I've seen far more animals of any size and shape walk away when shot with the bigger guns. Point being, that horespower doesn't trump finesse and experience.

Now that I'm older and can afford a couple toys (but keep it light because my job has me living away from home) my closet has 2 .22's I've had for years, a 20guage, a 30-30, and a hand built .260 for [bleep] and giggles. I was all set to build a custon .338 lapua and sat on the fence for over a year because of the cost. Then a friend turned me onto the .260. When my shooting partner returned from a tour in Germany we had the chance to shoot together. And that bastard has a .338Sako TRG 42 with a US Optics scope. A couple days later I bought the parts to build the .260 (Under a grand) and through my Vortex Viper PST on it. Sure... NOT EVEN CLOSE to a dream gun. But it'll shoot sub 1/4MOA on the best day and 1/2MOA with me behind it most days. And yet I still find room to bitch and complain and want more. But there's nothing and I mean nothing more exciting than ringing steel about as fast as I can cycle them in and get back on target... while my buddy is doing his damndest to get back on tgt with the .338. And after a few shots, he stops to check out his handy work. Sometimes I'll happily follow his shot with 3 or 4 ringers before he gets his 2nd shot on target then follow up with one or two more. Point being, bigger isn't always better. But it's fun to BORROW his from time to time and blast a hundred dollar bill away in 20 shots. But day to day, I'll stack a .260 against a big boomer any day of the week.

Back to the animals, because you said you wanted to hunt. We all want to hunt. But most of us shoot more than we hunt. That trusty ole 30-30 goes with me everywhere. From 4wheelin up in the mountains (protection from the weed growers), and out hiking (protection for bears and big cats), and occasionally when the freezer gets low it comes out and sees some fur. Eskimos quite often ONLY have these to use on everything they hunt up there. Don't all too often hear about someone who hunts for subsistence ever saying that anything they use is too small for the job. Back to the .22LR. It was quite hard for the game warden to reason with me that the .22LR was too small for deer. Hell it killed 'em deader then schit many nights.

Bottom line, buy what you want. You've probably already got a gun to handle anything realistic you're planning to do, so everything past this point is a want.

But if you're wanting to play at 1000yrds in unknown distance territory, then the rifle is the single cheapest aspect of your purchase. To quickly answer your question I would find a stock design that I liked, then pick a caliber that I want to shoot. Then just fill in the gap by finding a stock with a solid barreled action attached that fills your caliber needs. Hell, build one GREAT rifle and SHARE with your kid something epic. Build it yourself WITH him in the garage. Spend the rest of that hard earned money with the kids and the wife... doing something you enjoy together. But at the end of the day, the caliber choice is easy it's the choosing to spend the money that's killing you.

I don't get involved in politics, I just pull the trigger and let the good Lord decide.
YEP... I rant, I rock, I leave you with a book to read.

I don't get involved in politics, I just pull the trigger and let the good Lord decide.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
22LR at 300 yards would be fun with no wind.......... My 100 year old BSA Martini Model 12 is a favorite, but 300 is not particle for a 22LR. 6.5X55 and a 9.3X62 will do just about what ever, but only two would be no fun.

One other quickie (yeh, that doesn't happen).

One of my besties and co-worker to boot had a brown bear tag for this year up in Kodiak. His cousin/huntin partner for life got injured and couldn't make the trip so he asked if I would go with him to help him make the hunt. Deer tags are easy to get and I'm more than happy just to eat well and enjoy the camping, but he needed someone else on the trigger besides him in case something went horribly wrong. It's a fly in trip, and we get dropped off for a week then a float plane comes back to get us. He does this every other year (minus the brown bear tag) as the yearly getaway trip.

After I said yes, he asked me what I was going to bring because we had to pack light. I said, I'll let you help me sort through most of my gear but I'll be bringing the .30-30 and a .22LR bolt action. He laughed because he see's both as being severly undergunned. I told him, if I had to take the shot things were bad. Really bad and if I were going to live to tell about it then I wanted an epic story hence the .22 or the .30-30. In reality I would have brought a borrowed 45-70 as his intended shot would be 100yrds. Why take a longer shot when you don't need to. On several of his doll sheep trips, he's had close encounters with big bears but still he only totes a .243 and a .308 because they're adequate and light enough to carry. The brown bear was going to be shot with a .338WM borrowed because it's a one time use and his second rifle for that trip was his trusty old .243.

Ammo and optics and cost of hunting will quickly surmount the price of your rifle. Find what fits, appeals to you, and that makes you giggle like a school girl for whatever reason it happens to do that. Then go out and expend some rounds of happy time. Find that happy place. Otherwise, no friggin gun in your cabinet will ever make you happy. Save $50 of that and get a bb gun and a bucket of bb's. Then pound clothes pins off then line until you run out of yard, then move to the neighborhood backyards and shoot down the ditch, then find a field and go shoot that thing in the wind. You'll have a blast and make lots of cost effective memories with your kiddos. Crack open that firestick whenever you realize your midlife crisis solution of buying a vette and a harley are precluded by the sanctity of marriage smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smithrjd
22LR at 300 yards would be fun with no wind.......... My 100 year old BSA Martini Model 12 is a favorite, but 300 is not particle for a 22LR. 6.5X55 and a 9.3X62 will do just about what ever, but only two would be no fun.

22LR at 300 is as practical as a 7RM at 800. Too many wannabe snipers want to shoot dinks at long range so they've something to "brag" about. In all actuality, 90% of what they shoot at is steel, paper, or rocks. Decent hunting rig will take care of business at 500 easy peasy. And further for many.

If that's the game a fella wants to play, have at it. You're paying the bills.

LR is a fad, just like AR's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ARs have been a fad since 1961 or so.....

John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They've been around, but the mall ninjas and metro commandos made them a mainstay. I can remember when seeing them in a shop was rare. Now they are at Walmart.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Please refrain from the use of the word "besties."

Thanks,

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks for stepping in, 'Flave. Some of us were disgusted at that.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S

Thanks,

Yes, I agree. Don't use that. It's up there with shotties, meterosexual, anything Remington and 270s.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
For best results, spend double on the .308 of your dreams and shoot it twice as much.

There won't even be any ammo mix-ups. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Thanks,

laugh laugh laugh

Talk about a fox guarding the henhouse!!
grin grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Too funny 'Flave. Of All the things I'm likely to say that become insightfull, besties tops the charts. A couple of years ago I'd have left myself outside overnight in the cold for ever having said that. Add in a few more years and spend time around teenage daughters and you'd be suprised where you sanity goes.

As far as the use of guns, hell we all do things that are beyond reasonable. And most everything we buy is because we want it to play with, and not because it's practical or needed. If that were the case there would be a lot less ownership.

Bottom line is that the dude is suffering from wanton gun anxiety. I'm probably only here because of all the threads on here that I read, this one hit close to home because of how much time I spend pondering what would finally be my choice before I plopped down my cash. Sure there is money to spend but never an endless supply and it's that process of making the choice to leap one way or the other that rivets us on the edge of insanity. Then we buy and we either make ourselves happy or we sell and repeat.

Either way we have fun. Use them in good health be it too close or too far or just right. If you choose to shoot a prairie dog with .416 Rigby or a Muley with a .223. Or maybe you have a rifle for each species you hunt. I've never seen paper that needed a 7mag to kill it, but I've seen a lot of it shot with one.

Let the drink flow, the banter be colorful, and choot dem guns!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

][Linked Image]

Thread needs more pics. An actual two rifle battery, of the non-magnum variety, that could cover about anything the planet over.

Top, 243 Win used for varmints and yotes through mid-sized game.

Bottom, 9.3x62 to cover any big and large game chores. Have not killed an elephant with this one, but some have killed a heaping pile of elephants with this very chambering. At least one professional currently active, swears by this chambering, even for killing an elephant, so it should be up to the task for anything large, except professional follow up as a stopping rifle.

Best smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 11/22/14.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Wow, again, I am stunned that this thread still lives!

Nukem, you have some great insight there. You are right in that I have had lots of different rifles, and as my life has progressed, what I get out them and use them for, and what I can afford continues to evolve. Not sure I can address it all. But a couple points. First general:

You point about everyone having an opinion that fits them is exactly on point. I mentioned earlier that there are a lot of details that simply cannot be covered in postings. And that's true. Every one of these posts come with a book-load of background that makes them right for that person, but no one else will totally understand.

As to the buying process, it drives me crazy, as you mention. But I actually still enjoy the process. It feels like building something which, for someone mechanically impaired, is pretty fun. I love the research and trying to get things 'just right'. The fact that I am financially challenged ;), is sometimes frustrating, but also an additional challenge, I suppose. At least, that's what I tell myself to assuage the irritation of not being able to get exactly what I want! But, yeah, I know exactly what I want. But it would probably cost me 10k or so for just the rifles. We are all that way, so have to find a way to get as close as possible within our means. It's part of the challenge, I guess that's one way of looking at it, but it's certainly part of life!

Next point, why 2 rifles. Because I have two competing needs to fulfill. One is a light but very versatile hunting rifle that will be carried alot. So the barrel and rifle in general has to be 8.5 lbs with optics or so for me to be happy here. I know what scope I will put on it, I already own it from a previous rifle (Zeiss HD5 3-15, lockplex).

The other is a rifle that can be shot all day long in long range classes and general shooting, which for me, means a heavy barrel that can take the heat, and a less intense cartridge to keep the barrel cooler. This means a heavy rifle that I will not want to carry all day long, so I need two. One for carrying, one for practice/training.

I do handload, so a 7 mag for the 2nd can be loaded way down, as can a 300. But that's not ideal at all, and I'll only go that way if they are the only choices that allow in fulfilling other needs.

As to your point about picking a stock that fits and calibers...that is exactly the tact I am taking. For the stock...very high comb AND a thick cheek piece. I have a long neck/face, also a thin face. As to the mainstream stock designs that fit best, Weatherby. The wood ones (that I can't do) fit the best. Out of the synthetics, the B&C's they have are next best, and the best of all synthetics, short of the next paragraph. But what places them at the top, regardless, is the weight. Using the ultralight stock, I can have a #2 contour barrel, and still have a rifle (alone) that will be 7lbs or a little less, exactly where I need to be.

I did try one stock that fit at least as good, maybe better the other day, but it's not mainstream. I believe it was a Manners, but it might have been McMillan. It as a target style stock and I don't know the weight (I suspect it's more like the regular B&C's in that regard and, therefore, too heavy)...but I do know the price.

Caliber? 300 win mag for the hunter due to it's versatility. 260 or 6.5 Creedmore for the target rifle for it's perfection for my purposes.

An additional desire, based on advice here and from the instructor at the class I talked to, it would be valuable for both guns to share the same basic stock and trigger. That way it is easy to transmit form from one rifle to the next.

The 300, I think I have pretty much sussed out. No problem there. It's the trainer that is a problem. I can only get the B&C Weatherby stock on a weatherby or a long action remington.

If they had it for savage, I'd probably compromise on the trigger compatibility and get a Savage. It's in 260.

Weatherby only offers a 6.5 in a sporter barrel, so no good there. Remington does not offer it at all.

So that's where I have hit a snag. If money was no problem, yeah, I'd just have two matching customs built. But it is, and always will be to some degree because I want to spend as little here as I need to, so there is money left for me to take my sons hunting.

The best solution I have found, right now, is a Weatherby RC Varmint deal I have found. It's under 700, it's a 308. It has the stock I want, the trigger I want. The caliber, I can live with, and if it does the business out to 1k, I'll probably be happy with it. The caliber was the instructor's #2 choice after the 6.5's, and I'll be able to share bullets with the 300.

And in a year or so, I can have it rebarrelled with a Kreiger or whatever to a 260. That will bring the price up to 1300 total, but I think that is actually the cheapest way to get what I want.

Anything else, it's either more expensive for the same thing (Remington), or impossible (Savage due to stock availability).

Reading the most recent threads did give me some pause to think a bit more. I could get a couple Savage's and put them in Manners stocks. But I don't think they will hit the weight limit for the hunter, and cost wise, I think I'd be way over...not sure however on both those point. I guess it would depend on whether they would need to be bedded after being put in the Manner's stocks? I don't know that much about them, but I would assume so.

One last point on the Weatherbys...In both cases, both guns would be range certified by them and I would receive that information. That is another point that I like because I have had to mess with a rifle all year trying to figure out why I could not hit the accuracy I needed. Finally, the smith, who is also a nationally known Fclass competitor, said he thought it was the barrel.

Lots of people make an accuracy guarantee, including Weatherby on it's regular rifles. But in the cases here, they will test it before it ships to make sure, and I like that. Most people probably don't care about that, but I do. And in the case of the 300, the custom shop will actually be assembling it, so it's even better.

That does not dedicate me to this platform, not by any means as you can see, but it's just one of many data points that make me favor weatherby for a factory solution. Remingtons scare me in this respect...I would bet to have to spend extra to get it to shoot. Savages, I am pretty confident in. Tikka's and Sako's as well. But with the Weatherby, they promise like some, but in my case, they verify before I pay, and if there are problems, their reputation for customer service is very good, so this is also the 'safest' bet, short of a guarantee from a custom builder, it seems.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Wow, that was way too long.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 72 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,681
Posts18,456,303
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.