Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Now that the season's over for me (hunted Archery, 2nd and 3rd season), it's time to start planning for next years hunts. I'm trying to figure out some new accessories/tricks for the wall tent to make life a little easier. So what do you guys have? Homemade, store-bought, doesn't matter. Post pics if you got 'em.

I'll start. We used to hang wet clothes along the ridge pole, but this usually just got in the way. Since then I've upgraded to a simple over the door coat rack (6 hooks and about $12) near each cot to hang things. Easy to move closer to or further away from the stove depending on my needs.

Remember: SAFETY FIRST................................................................................................then pull the trigger smile
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I built a plywood box for the frame conduit. It comes apart and can be used for shelves on either side of the tent. Another plywood insulated box for the woodstove/lanterns can be used for a table and mouseproof food storage.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I color coded my ridge poles with green paint, it's easy to spot the wall poles and anything left is rafters

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks Huntsman22. I have the pole bags from Davis currently, but when they wear out (starting already), I'll build a box. Do you just attach it to the poles using wire? I also have the stove in a plastic tub with wheels. Makes for a good place to leave the bags for the stakes, angles, etc.

Tracks, I did the same only with electrical tape. But paint would have been much easier.

Keep the ideas coming!

Remember: SAFETY FIRST................................................................................................then pull the trigger smile
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I didn't do the paint or tape on the poles. Guys that borrow the deal, can't screw up if the blueprint is marked on the box...

I wire or plumbers strap the shelves up.

I also run a rope thru the ridge angles to hang and dry clothes and such. If I need them closer to the stove, I'll run one between rafters.
[Linked Image]

I take a few carpet scraps to stand on to get dressed or to stage stuff on. A tent floor is a royal pain-in-the-azz. Who wants to sweep, clean and take off muddy boots when ya come in?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

you can stand them up during the day to keep them dry.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Made some serious tent stakes by cutting steel fence posts into 2-foot lengths.

That's me and my Dad breaking down camp.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I used to use a bucket of concrete stakes with a nail bent through the top hole and a washer under it. I like the fence post idea, and I really like your puller.

I did a tarp for the floor. If I were doing it again, I'd cover about half the floor, away from the stove.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I bought four of the Cabela's cot side night stand/organizers that are made to hang on the side of a cot out of their Bargain Cave for next to nothing. They work great to hang on the frame rails (similar to Huntsman's shelf) to keep stuff organized and off the ground. Great for matches, spices, utensils, lights, batteries, you name it.

A Cabela's cot tree is also handy for hanging jackets, hats, etc. on.

I use a propane tree for my lantern and keep the tank in a square milk crate to keep it more stable and tie a long handled lighter to a cord right on the tree so I'm not always looking for it. The milk crate also helps keep the tank in one place in the truck/trailer.

Collapsible feed buckets/yard waste containers make great garbage cans with a liner.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A paper plate on top of a plastic plate gives support, saves washing dishes, and goes in the fire:

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There's a collapsible trash can in this picture..... whistle

[Linked Image]

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A fly/tarp helps keeps snow off. Will also help keep embers from your stove off the roof (assuming your pipe goes through the roof).

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
My two favourite accessories are my double bed and a heat reflector for the stove.

I built a bed using 3/4 ply to double bed dimensions. I used some hinge from the hardware store so it folds in half to fit easily into my utility trailer. It has two aluminum tubing cross pcs that attach with carriage bolts. This then rests on four 5 gallon buckets turned upside down. Obviously one bucket at each corner. This is super comfortable and my darling wife has been content to sleep for a week on this contraption with me.

The heat reflector is made from 22 ga galvanized sheet metal. It is 59"tall. It has a centre section that is 24" wide with "wings" 12" wide that are attached by spot welded hinges. It has 1/2 safety hems all around to eliminate any sharp edges. This allows me to place my stove tight to the back wall of my tent to free up room and not worry about tent damage or fire risk. This also throws a lot of the heat back towards the front of the tent and occupants making the tent a lot warmer when the stove is choked down. In fact even in weather as cold As -25c I have not needed to run the stove full bore once a coal base has been established.

Fuzzy

Last edited by fuzzyone; 11/08/14.

Pardon my fat fingered I-phone typing
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
One of these sure beats messing around with matches and tinder when lighting the fire, especially if the kindling is a bit damp. Hint - be sure the get the self lighting one. grin

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
You men who think you don't need a floor have never set up on frozen ground. I use concrete blankets. Lay them on top of the sod cloth.

Too Tall
Thompson Falls Montana
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
bullshit.....frozen ground is the norm. A couple days with the stove going will dry it out . Why anyone would want to dick with insulating blankets and housecleaning is beyond me. If you spend any amount of time in a tent, you'll figger it out.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This year we set up camp in a nice grassy meadow. We had a great natural carpet. It rained and the meadow was soaked outside but inside it was stocking feet on a soft 'floor'.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I use a heavy vinyl floor that came with my tent and a few small pieces of carpet like Huntsman uses floor. Takes all of 10 minutes to sweep out and frozen or muddy ground doesnt bother me a bit.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That is 10 more minutes you could be hunting.....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Im typically not in camp during legal hours...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
it's a bish to have to come home after dark and clean house.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,633
Posts18,455,226
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.