Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
las Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have a reserve tank? Other than a plastic jug? This is a '93 model. Did I miss something?

(It took me 11 years to discover the digital clock in my '90 Chev 3500! Bastuids hid it!!!!)

So I might not be as surprised as you think if I have one...... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

L
las Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I helped carry out two moose, one cow and one bull, from the Copper River Delta back in the late 80's. The bull's RF leg, with hide & hoof on weighed 125# when we got back to the house. One of the hind legs weighed 150+.

Ran into a sow brown bear and her twin two-year-old cubs on the way to the airboat while carrying that front leg, but that's another story... grin

Ed

Picked up the pace there did you, and damn that backpack weight? smile

To quote louis La'Amour (sp?) "It's fascinating how crowded a country can get with just you and a Griz in it..."

L
las Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by rost495
Interesting. I cut a hind off a bull this fall, kept the skin and leg on, and a flap of skin to protect the inside of the meat/ball joint. IE disjointed like you did( why would you do it any other way..)

I could NOT pick the thing up. I"m not huge, but I carry 2 bags of corn around quite often feeding our dog deer here.

I have no clue what my bull weighed, or what the hind without the leg and hide weighed, but I do know it about killed me to stand on the polaris and pull it up into the bed finally. Twice.

I suspect my bull must have been 1200 at least then.

38 inch neck around the meat part since I"m going to mount it, that measurement I know. AT the base of the skull.

HAIR!!!

I disarticulate but start a game bag down over the top of the quarter from the very beginning to make sure virtually no hair is on the meat and it cools as quickly as possible.

Fiber!! Fixes tape-worms too.... smile

L
las Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Rost- wet meat weighs more than frozen or rigor meat of equal poundage...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
Rost- wet meat weighs more than frozen or rigor meat of equal poundage...

Truth!

That old Bravo is perhaps a pre-reserve model�I think they had them in '95 and on though.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I helped carry out two moose, one cow and one bull, from the Copper River Delta back in the late 80's. The bull's RF leg, with hide & hoof on weighed 125# when we got back to the house. One of the hind legs weighed 150+.

Ran into a sow brown bear and her twin two-year-old cubs on the way to the airboat while carrying that front leg, but that's another story... grin

Ed

We always estimated most rear quarters were125-135 lbs with the lower portion of the leg bone removed - on mature bulls 50-65". Now the 8 1/2' brown bear hide and skull that fell in the creek was significantly heavier! I had to sit down, get buckled in and have two guys pull me up. That's another story too! No wonder my back is wrecked!

Las, not sure about the tough meat...ours from early Sept season were usually cut up fairly quickly depending on how quick we killed and hauled out...

Last edited by Akbob5; 11/20/14.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
las Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My estimates are always consistently a bit higher than actual scale.

I have a hard time getting around that, it seems.... smile

L
las Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Akbob5

Ed

We always estimated most rear quarters were125-135 lbs with the lower portion of the leg bone removed - on mature bulls 50-65". Now the 8 1/2' brown bear hide and skull that fell in the creek was significantly heavier! I had to sit down, get buckled in and have two guys pull me up. That's another story too! No wonder my back is wrecked!

Las, not sure about the tough meat...ours from early Sept season were usually cut up fairly quickly depending on how quick we killed and hauled out...

A week's aging at 35 degrees worked wonders!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.