Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#9320578 11/08/14
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Had a great time with my son-in-law for the three days he hunted. Saw lots of elk every day while he was with me (3 days). Focus was on helping him get his second one and opening morning he had a 200 yard shot at opening light. He passed because he had a fixed 4x and couldn't determine if the animal was really a cow or had short spikes. I had a 14.5x cranked up and it was definitely a cow. That opportunity was lost but we headed up Agner Mt. and saw lots of elk on the south face headed around to the north side and up to the top.

Agner has three peaks on the area we can hunt and we were on the eastern one. In 2010 my son-in-law made a 363 yard shot from the east peak to the middle one and took his first cow. This time we had cows at about 400 yards and he wasn't comfortable taking the shot. So I did, at a lasered 389 yards. The 7mm RM barked and I heard the familiar "whump" of a good hit. The cow raised its head and the trees exploded with a stampede of elk. The one I shot disappeared into the pines a few yards behind it.

After we crossed the valley we circled around above the pines and immediately saw blood -- not just a few drops here and there but the biggest blood trail I have ever seen, with foot-wide pools of thick, dark blood and what can best be described as ribbons of blood, 2-3 feet long and 4-5 inches wide, also thick with dark blood. We were sure we would find the cow down in the sage within a few yards. Instead the blood trail led us over the top of the ridge, across the next valley and over the crest of the next ridge - over half a mile according to Google Earth and the best I can plot our path.

The blood trail gradually decreased. Each time we thought it had disappeared we would flag a tree or a bush near the last blood, search until we found more, then continue following the trail until we lost it again. Must have put up a dozen flags in the last 300 yards. In the end we lost the trail for good, about 100 yards from an adjoining property that was off-limits. Some elk went straight for it, others headed down hill towards another property boundary not much further away. It was getting late so we opted to follow the elk down, which would take us closer to the truck, hoping to get out before dark, which we did but barely. By then we had walked about 5-6 miles for the day and my right hip was killing me.

We made it back up there the next day and continued the search but never did find any more blood trail or the cow. We found elk but they were on the neighboring property half a mile over the property line. The third day we found elk on the north face of Long Mountain (not to be confused with Long's Peak, which is in Rocky Mt. Nat'l park), We couldn't get within 800 yards in the morning and in the afternoon climbed up to the steep face near the top. To our dismay there were horses tied up in the pines (trespassers) and the elk were gone.

Son-in-law went home Sunday, after hunting 3 days. I continued to hunt the RFW ranch through Monday, last day of its season, without any luck, I saw lots more elk on private property and got a small 5x5 buck, counting brow tines, but 3 tines were broken off - not a trophy for the wall but a freezer-filler. The migration wasn't really started so my Unit 3 cow tag wasn't worth much. A lot of time was spent sitting on hill tops in Unit 3 scanning the distance for elk, reading books and listening to Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity. The election results made me so happy the disappointment of not getting a cow wasn't that big a deal. Only a couple disappointments, including the CO governor's race. Overall, a true slaughter of the obamacrats.

Still, very disappointed about the cow I lost. This was the first one I've shot that hasn't been put down and recovered. (I did have one jump a fence and get put down by someone else last year.) In retrospect I think I know what happened. I had practiced with clay pigeons and steel plates at the range at 300, 500 and 600 yards. There isn't a good berm to put them on at 400 so I ignored that range, thinking I could interpolate well enough and, based on experience, anticipating any shot would be under 300 yards. (Since 1982 I've only taken 3 shots at longer ranges.) The pines behind the cow were lasered at 399-400 yards before she stepped out into the open and I lasered her at 389. I used a point 1/3 down between the 300 and 500 aim points in the scope and aimed about 1/3 down from the top of the shoulder, sure I wouldn't shoot over and thinking I might hit a bit lower. Later, based on blood found on bushes, I figure I hit exactly at the height at which I had aimed. That would have been good but I didn't allow for any wind coming through the saddle at the top of the valley, ahead and to my left. We were behind some scrub oak and couldn't feel any real wind until we stood up after the shot and took a few steps toward the saddle. Then I got a couple good gusts. I think the wind carried the bullet to my right. Based on a B.C. of .387 for a 160g North Fork SS (estimated based on bullet shape and weight and B.C. for a Grand Slam) and a 10mph crosswind, the bullet would have drifted almost 12.5". That would have meant a high shot toward the back of the lungs or top of the liver. Given the height where we saw blood on the brush (entrance wound) and the darkness of the blood on the ground (from the exit side), I'm convinced that is what happened. My fault and I was pretty depressed about it - not because I didn't get a cow but because I caused one to suffer so horribly. Still pretty disturbed about it and keep playing it over in my mind and thinking about how I will do it differently next time.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Sounds like you had good range data.

An elevation turret would take the guesswork out of the reticle holdoff.

A high BC bullet would cut that wind drift in about half.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I find it fascinating a 160 grain 7mm has a b.c. under .4. Sorry 4 your loss.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sounds pretty much like partial liver shot. My hunting partner this year, clipped on at 400yards and we tracked it for 3 hours,probably a mile and a half at least .Same thing.Gobs of blood ,but it finally petered out to spots a 1/4"in dia. every 50-75 feet and then nothing.
I had killed my bull on the firsts Sunday, so I was just along as a wrangler/packer. I know the feeling and I wasn't even the shooter

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/08/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yup dark blood is liver, elk love life and will live it to the fullest. In my eye the hide shifted hence the los of a blood trail.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sorry for you loss CH.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Dark blood is liver. When it runs out the critter is dead on its feet. She didn't get much further.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Hit a 32 in Muley through the liver with a TC Hawken in .50 with a TC maxiball ? 385 grain. Dark blood, trail petered out that night. Next day found the buck 300 yds away from last blood on an oak brush ridge where he died headed to water from the end of what started as a good blood trail that petered out to nothing.

Happened a few miles west of Chama.

Dayom, CH, sorry to hear of your loss. As long as we hunt wild, this will happen.

Last edited by eyeball; 11/10/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
She probably didn't suffer much longer than the blood trail lasted.

If that's any consolation.

Still sucks though.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Well doggone it CH, I know that loss of the cow had to bother you.

Guy

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am glad to hear it's bothering you. Not for the guilt, but because it's an indicator of your ethics.

Sooner or later things don't go just right. If it hasn't happened yet to you, you're turn will come. I've not lost an animal with a rifle, but smacked the shoulder blade of a nice bull with my bow a couple years ago and it still haunts my thoughts.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry you didn't manage to recover the animal..Its a great pity you guys are no allowed to use tracking dogs in situations like this; a good dog has help me out of the mire more than once..

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Pete E
Sorry you didn't manage to recover the animal..Its a great pity you guys are no allowed to use tracking dogs in situations like this; a good dog has help me out of the mire more than once..

Rumor has it that CO might be looking at permitting this as long as dogs are on leash.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Bad deal!! Sorry you didn't find that old gal..

Molon Labe
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
saddlesore How would a person go about working a bark into something like that, then maintaining on the of season?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
No worse gut sinking feeling than losing an animal.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by kawi
saddlesore How would a person go about working a bark into something like that, then maintaining on the of season?

I'd think saving your latest kill's green hide and work the dog on it. I usually bring my hides home unless it is a long pack. Then I hang them in my mule's stalls to get them use to the smell. Those hides carry scent for a long time and just about any scent tracking dog should be able to pick up the task fairly easily.
My problem would be I am usually 200 miles from home and the dog stays home with my wife. Don't knowhow I would keep the dog in camp while I am out hunting and surely could not make a 400 mile round trip to get the dog.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You would save some of the blood from your last kill and freeze it down in small quanties to lay practice blood trails during the off season.

Some folks go as far a keeping (freezing) the feet and lower legs from a kill and use them as part of the trail laying process..The thinking is that a blood trail is too strong so you want the dog to get used to following primarily the foot scent of the wounded animal..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Pete E

Rumor has it that CO might be looking at permitting this as long as dogs are on leash.

The dog can't ask permission of the landowner to track the animal. That is the hunters responsibility.

I have brought my cattle dogs on hunts and they track well but would never expect them to trail a single animal from the tracks of an entire herd.

I've raised the dog issue in wildlife regulation meetings and the general rule is with a firearm - No. Without firearm OK if obeying other rules and regs.

In practice I do see guys hunting big game with their dogs. I've asked the opinion of CPW officers about that. The answer I get is that it depends on the dog. Carrying a firearm with herding dogs (like mine) or with tracking dog breeds - that will usually bring added questions. The guy with the Jack Russell however tells me they never even mention it to him.

Even landowners that do not permit hunting will almost never want to be the cause of an animal going to waste. I've consulted field offers on this issue also and the response has been please contact us. They say they can help contact the landowner faster and if necessary they can sometimes gain access in situations where an individual may not.

A small minority of hunters I've spoken to claim that they simply answer to a higher authority and would leave their firearm at the fenceline and do what they feel is morally right. They would rather take their chances in court and keep a clear conscience. Personally, I'm not sure I'd have the courage to put myself in that group.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=Alamosa
A small minority of hunters I've spoken to claim that they simply answer to a higher authority and would leave their firearm at the fenceline and do what they feel is morally right. They would rather take their chances in court and keep a clear conscience. Personally, I'm not sure I'd have the courage to put myself in that group. [/quote]

That's for sure, try crossing the fence at Wolf Springs ranch ,south of Westcliff ,CO and see what happens, or one of those hobby ranches , north of Gunnison or the Forbes Trinchera ranch.

The problem with contacting a CPW officer is that the offices are never open on weekends and they won't give out the contact information of the field guys if you do get ahold of them.

Then too by the time that is all over and done with, the meat has spoiled.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/15/14.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (06hunter59, 10ring1, 1OntarioJim, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 26 invisible), 1,622 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,508
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.