Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
6.5: I didn't get to shoot it today... frown

House full of people and it was a Trey Day (my grandson was here). I am going to sneak off to the range tomorrow for a session. I will call and let you know how it does.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Real good Bob. Hoping you got a good one!

Sounds like you had a full day. Did a little shooting with a swede today. Kind of dreading the long cool spell that looks like we are all going to get to enjoy.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I shoot the 257 with 120 gr noseler part. good medicine this year I killed a Mule deer in Idaho and a cow in Colorado.
I use 4350 and 4895 booth shoot really well with the 120's.
Mine is the Ackley Improved it is a Ruger with a shielen Barrel nice round.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Haven't shot mine in a long time. Have some 100 grain GS customs over Hybrid 100 V loaded up. Maybe tomorrow. Very svelte rifle with a VX3 2.5x8x36 on top. Gets lots of complements on any outing.

Last edited by sidepass; 11/09/14. Reason: wrong powder

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob,
Good score. I've been drooling on my keyboard looking at those on GB. Trying to decide if it would be worth it to spend the next 6 months in the dog house if Mrs Blacktailer found out. eek

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry if this was mentioned above, if it was I missed it....

How do you manage OAL with the x57 Roberts case in the short action? Do you guys find it limiting at all?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really liked the one I had. Svelte in hand, nice balance, decent accuracy.

The Leupold 6X36 in S&K rings was perfect on top.

If I didn't have pre-64s fwts in custom walnut that it couldn't compare to, I would likely still own it. I still think sometimes that I should buy another. Luckily they don't chamber it in 260 to really tempt me! grin

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Bob,
Good score. I've been drooling on my keyboard looking at those on GB. Trying to decide if it would be worth it to spend the next 6 months in the dog house if Mrs Blacktailer found out. eek

Blacktailer my wife has completely given up... smile She knows my mood is foul if I don't have another project rifle to keep me occupied now and then.

I completely understand the draw of a Kimber,despite the on/off QC issues. They are irresistibly svelte, the stocks without a doubt (for me) are classically simple and snappy handling in both wood and synthetic,and handsome...no excess bulk,clunky grips and squared off for ends.Designed more for hunters than target shooters,and they carry like a dream.

I like the little things they do like the 8/40 base screws,and the actions seem nicely made; the bolt handles are angled correctly and don't overwhelm the rifle. Everything "flows". They remind me of a M70 scaled down.

RickF you and I know the Roberts is not for erudite and sophisticated target shooters like yourself smile It does everything wrong with the low BC bullets; doesn't fit actions precisely right,and I have no doubt a proper 6mm or 6.5 is a better mousetrap in may ways. The cartridge is for sentimental,clueless grunts like me who might have used it years past and killed a bunch of stuff with it. blush

But despite the drawbacks it kills well at moderate distances.

That day in Wyoming on the big pronghorn the wind was switching, he looked a long ways out,herding does,and I had no LRF's then so I had to peep through the 4X to get an idea of distance. I knew he was big and wished I had brought the 270 instead. But I held for 400 as he quartered "on" and the 100 gr Partition hit the point of his shoulder and angled back through the chest. He danced in a small circle and collapsed. I figured I could live with that. wink

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bobnob17
Sorry if this was mentioned above, if it was I missed it....

How do you manage OAL with the x57 Roberts case in the short action? Do you guys find it limiting at all?

Bobnob yes it's limiting. I have had Roberts rifles on both the 06 actions and the short 700's. I would like to be able to seat further out but in truth in the short actions I just load a 100 gr Partition at over 3000 fps and let it go at that.That load has always killed well for me. The 3" Roberts seems to pick up 100 fps with both the light and heavy bullets....at least that's what I have seen.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like mine, I believe you will yours.

I did a post of some different loads I worked up for it a while back.

I use the 110AB on top of H100V in it. Nothing around here I couldn't take with it.

Enjoy and Good Luck!

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
IC B3

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
AJD thanks and I will give the 110 AB a run. Folks seem happy with that bullet.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Bought mine used on gunbroker a few years ago. It honestly shoots better than it looks. Have only taken a doe and bobcat with it. [Linked Image]

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cheesy I remember your rifle! Mine is not quite that nice but pretty darned close. wink

Is that a 3-9 Leupold on yours? That's the scope I was thinking about getting for mine; one of the newer ones with the fast focus and dots.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey Bob, I just picked up up a newish 257 rbts as well. Not a Kimber, but it's an honest 1/2" MOA Ruger Hawkeye with 117gr Hornady Interlocks. You headed up north this week? I'll be in Pittsburgh at the end of the week...shoot me a PM when you have a minute.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I know some folks here have this rifle and chambering, either the Classic or the Select.

Any thoughts, likes, dislikes and how they shoot?

Thanks in advance. smile

I went thru five when they first came out, both Montana and Selects. Couldn't get any of them to shoot well enough to keep. That was years ago. Maybe gearing up for another "event".

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My brother has a Select. It shoots well with some loads, fussy with others. It is a lovely, well designed rifle. Some tuning would probably help it.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bigwhoop/Tex: Hey it might take some tweaking.....if it doesn't cut it, it'll go down the road. I try not to get emotionally attached to rifles. smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good luck there Bob, but I have a feeling it may be a little tooooo "svelte" for your tastes. Oh, but what a little tweaking with a heavier barrel will do for that situation.

Just a little not so subliminal message for when things are going a little slow during the hunt. grin

Last edited by battue; 11/10/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
yep, everything is wrong with the Kimber short bob action, magazine length, etc. But I don't care! Mine shoots 100 grain TTSX bullets over 46 grains of H4350 fast enough to kill stuff I shoot at, no deer that I have put a bullet through has turned its nose up in disdain. I was thinking at some point to own a Montana in the 223, but a stainless Bob would be better for me,bookends for rain or shine.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Cheesy I remember your rifle! Mine is not quite that nice but pretty darned close. wink

Is that a 3-9 Leupold on yours? That's the scope I was thinking about getting for mine; one of the newer ones with the fast focus and dots.

Yes, that was a 3-9 VXII, only thing I had as a spare when the rifle came in. I think the objective overpowered the rifle and switched it out to a VXIII 2.5-8 (I think???), might have been a VXII 2-7. Looks better now.

Here's another pic with the 3-9
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
680 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.