Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I know some folks here have this rifle and chambering, either the Classic or the Select.

Any thoughts, likes, dislikes and how they shoot?

Thanks in advance. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob, I got one 5-6 years ago and still have it, not going anywhere!

Tried a few different bullets with H4350 and it shot everything pretty decent.

Seems to like 115-117's more than 100 grain bullets. 117 SGK's shoot great out to 400 yards.

Packed it around fairly regular for awhile and haven't had any issues. Even hunted antelope all morning in the rain and it didn't melt....grin

Nice little rifle IMHO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sam: how's the terminal performance if the 117GKs?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Southtexas, I have only shot 1 buck antelope, 1 whitetail doe and a couple coyotes with it.

Antelope, was bedded at 180-200 yards, pass through chest, buck never got up.

Leaves a golf/tennis ball exit on coyotes.

The whitetail doe was a weird deal. Skittish deer standing along some trees on the edge of a field. She ran at the shot(lung/rib) with no sign of being hit.
Not uncommon with that placement, but damn did she run. Thinking she made it about 300-400 yards. Luckily she died out in an open hayfield or I might not have found her.

Two pencil holes through the lungs, little expansion it any.

Only thing I can think of is the bullet must have hit a small branch and tumbled right before impact.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob -

My Ruger isn't a Kimber but it shoots great nonetheless.

75g V-MAX for varmints
100g TTSX for antelope
110g AccuBond for antelope
120g North Fork when hunting during elk season (have yet to shoot either a mulie or elk with it, though)

I've been shooting the 110g AccuBond more than the 100g TTSX simply because of better external ballistics (mostly for more retained energy). No complaints with either unless you're an antelope. I doubt deer would like them, either.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I know some folks here have this rifle and chambering, either the Classic or the Select.

Thanks in advance. smile

I've been eyeballing them on gunbroker and gunsinternational too bob. They are pretty nice....:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=452162641

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sam/Guys: Thanks. I'm asking for advice after the fact because I already bought it... smile

I knew Sam had one. They sure do fell like a nice little rifle. Trigger does not need a thing,barrel is nicely floated,and stock is very attractive. It drove me nuts for about a week before I broke down.

I have some hand loads around but grabbed 4 boxes of factory with the 120 NPT and 117 Hornady Super Performance. I may try those today or tomorrow.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I got mine 5 years ago and I love it, it has been consistently accurate, and its the last rifle I would sell. It has a few "marks" in the wood from tripod stands and use but its still looks good. I really have grown fond of the Roberts as well, with 46 grains of H4350 and a 100TTSX its a very good round for deer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have on as well, gorgeous little thing. Not fussy about what it likes.

Life is just one damned thing after another
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Good on ya, Bob. I have eyeballed these things for years, really nice looking little rifles. I'm currently .257 bobless, but hanging onto the brass & dies to get back into the game one day ...

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by cal74
I have on as well, gorgeous little thing. Not fussy about what it likes.

And I'm still kicking myself in thae arse for selling it! I'll replace it with another someday....

That rifle was probably one of the easiest I've loaded for. Took a load out of Nosler's book with 100gr Partitions/Ballistic Tips and it shot the loads well.

Cal.... Did you get a chance to roll some up for it or are you still shooting factories? You get to use it on a cow elk?

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
n8dawg/others: There were two Classic Selects there; this one was used and the tag said "unfired"....who knows? Anyway it's very clean and the wood was darker and had more contrast than the other one.

I had a Montana 5-6 years ago that had chambering issues; I made the mistake of sending it back to Kimber. They screwed it up. I got discouraged. But this makes maybe 6-7 Roberts rifles I have owned and killed a lot of game mostly out west with an early PF M70,including the biggest pronghorn I ever killed,a big one that scored over 80 at about 400 yards.

My first Roberts was a pre 64 M70 that I shot many varmints with and the first rifle for which I ever hand loaded. I have also had the Rem 700 MR with both short and long magazines, all nice rifles,and a couple of Rugers.

This rifle is a far cry from that that first M70....lots lighter and handier. I am popping bases and rings on it as we speak.

I had not really paid attention before yesterday but factory ammo for the cartridge sure has changed. Back in the day you could get 117 RN loads that did about 2600 fps...I used them to make brass. Or some 100 gr loads I can't recall but none were as good as my hand loads.

I am really curious about the 117 SST Super Performance at an advertised 2945 fps,which is only about 100 fps below the same factory load for the 25/06.(who knows what it gives for speed). I also have some hand loads for the 100 gr NPT and H4350. I stole the load from John B,who recommended it. We'll see what happens.

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/09/14.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Damn this thing is light! Even with the scope.... eek

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hey Bob, congrats with the new gun. I hope it shoots great.

Sounds like it's hard to walk away from a 257 Roberts, once you have owned one.

Kimber 84M Classic Select in a 257R would be nice.

What are you going to use for a scope?

Have a good day.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a Classic Select in 257 Roberts. It's a beautiful little rifle topped with a Leupold 2.5-8 with B&C reticle. It shoots the Hornady Superformance loads under an inch.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Randy the only scope I had hanging around is a 4X Conquest which will be fine for now. I plan on hunting the rifle maybe later this week in NH assuming I get it zeroed and so forth.

Maybe down the road a bit I will get something else for it. I mounted the Conquest and it's a tad long for that little rifle but it shoulders nice and I am looking right into the reticle when i shoulder it.

I used medium Leupold rings on it with the Kimber bases....I noticed before that the smaller diameter receiver makes a medium ring better for me;with a low I am scrunching hard to get a view through the scope.

Hunterjg thanks for the info on the 117 Super Performance...pretty interesting load. Have you killed with it?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks Bob

I have a Leupold 2.5-8, one of these days I will find me a nice Kimber to put it on. I'm still thinking a 257 Roberts or a 7-08 in a Classic Select.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have not. I bought the rifle shortly before the season last year and rounded up a couple boxes of Core locks , power points and the Hornady rounds. I only saw a small 3 pointer last year and let him go. I'll be carrying it this year again if the weather is nice. If not the 308 Montana gets the nod.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like you found a nice one. So how did it shoot? smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That dealer in MN seems to be THE place to find one!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
6.5: I didn't get to shoot it today... frown

House full of people and it was a Trey Day (my grandson was here). I am going to sneak off to the range tomorrow for a session. I will call and let you know how it does.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Real good Bob. Hoping you got a good one!

Sounds like you had a full day. Did a little shooting with a swede today. Kind of dreading the long cool spell that looks like we are all going to get to enjoy.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I shoot the 257 with 120 gr noseler part. good medicine this year I killed a Mule deer in Idaho and a cow in Colorado.
I use 4350 and 4895 booth shoot really well with the 120's.
Mine is the Ackley Improved it is a Ruger with a shielen Barrel nice round.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Haven't shot mine in a long time. Have some 100 grain GS customs over Hybrid 100 V loaded up. Maybe tomorrow. Very svelte rifle with a VX3 2.5x8x36 on top. Gets lots of complements on any outing.

Last edited by sidepass; 11/09/14. Reason: wrong powder

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Bob,
Good score. I've been drooling on my keyboard looking at those on GB. Trying to decide if it would be worth it to spend the next 6 months in the dog house if Mrs Blacktailer found out. eek

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry if this was mentioned above, if it was I missed it....

How do you manage OAL with the x57 Roberts case in the short action? Do you guys find it limiting at all?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I really liked the one I had. Svelte in hand, nice balance, decent accuracy.

The Leupold 6X36 in S&K rings was perfect on top.

If I didn't have pre-64s fwts in custom walnut that it couldn't compare to, I would likely still own it. I still think sometimes that I should buy another. Luckily they don't chamber it in 260 to really tempt me! grin

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Bob,
Good score. I've been drooling on my keyboard looking at those on GB. Trying to decide if it would be worth it to spend the next 6 months in the dog house if Mrs Blacktailer found out. eek

Blacktailer my wife has completely given up... smile She knows my mood is foul if I don't have another project rifle to keep me occupied now and then.

I completely understand the draw of a Kimber,despite the on/off QC issues. They are irresistibly svelte, the stocks without a doubt (for me) are classically simple and snappy handling in both wood and synthetic,and handsome...no excess bulk,clunky grips and squared off for ends.Designed more for hunters than target shooters,and they carry like a dream.

I like the little things they do like the 8/40 base screws,and the actions seem nicely made; the bolt handles are angled correctly and don't overwhelm the rifle. Everything "flows". They remind me of a M70 scaled down.

RickF you and I know the Roberts is not for erudite and sophisticated target shooters like yourself smile It does everything wrong with the low BC bullets; doesn't fit actions precisely right,and I have no doubt a proper 6mm or 6.5 is a better mousetrap in may ways. The cartridge is for sentimental,clueless grunts like me who might have used it years past and killed a bunch of stuff with it. blush

But despite the drawbacks it kills well at moderate distances.

That day in Wyoming on the big pronghorn the wind was switching, he looked a long ways out,herding does,and I had no LRF's then so I had to peep through the 4X to get an idea of distance. I knew he was big and wished I had brought the 270 instead. But I held for 400 as he quartered "on" and the 100 gr Partition hit the point of his shoulder and angled back through the chest. He danced in a small circle and collapsed. I figured I could live with that. wink

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bobnob17
Sorry if this was mentioned above, if it was I missed it....

How do you manage OAL with the x57 Roberts case in the short action? Do you guys find it limiting at all?

Bobnob yes it's limiting. I have had Roberts rifles on both the 06 actions and the short 700's. I would like to be able to seat further out but in truth in the short actions I just load a 100 gr Partition at over 3000 fps and let it go at that.That load has always killed well for me. The 3" Roberts seems to pick up 100 fps with both the light and heavy bullets....at least that's what I have seen.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like mine, I believe you will yours.

I did a post of some different loads I worked up for it a while back.

I use the 110AB on top of H100V in it. Nothing around here I couldn't take with it.

Enjoy and Good Luck!

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
AJD thanks and I will give the 110 AB a run. Folks seem happy with that bullet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bought mine used on gunbroker a few years ago. It honestly shoots better than it looks. Have only taken a doe and bobcat with it. [Linked Image]

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cheesy I remember your rifle! Mine is not quite that nice but pretty darned close. wink

Is that a 3-9 Leupold on yours? That's the scope I was thinking about getting for mine; one of the newer ones with the fast focus and dots.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey Bob, I just picked up up a newish 257 rbts as well. Not a Kimber, but it's an honest 1/2" MOA Ruger Hawkeye with 117gr Hornady Interlocks. You headed up north this week? I'll be in Pittsburgh at the end of the week...shoot me a PM when you have a minute.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Thanks in advance. smile

I went thru five when they first came out, both Montana and Selects. Couldn't get any of them to shoot well enough to keep. That was years ago. Maybe gearing up for another "event".

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My brother has a Select. It shoots well with some loads, fussy with others. It is a lovely, well designed rifle. Some tuning would probably help it.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bigwhoop/Tex: Hey it might take some tweaking.....if it doesn't cut it, it'll go down the road. I try not to get emotionally attached to rifles. smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good luck there Bob, but I have a feeling it may be a little tooooo "svelte" for your tastes. Oh, but what a little tweaking with a heavier barrel will do for that situation.

Just a little not so subliminal message for when things are going a little slow during the hunt. grin

Last edited by battue; 11/10/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
yep, everything is wrong with the Kimber short bob action, magazine length, etc. But I don't care! Mine shoots 100 grain TTSX bullets over 46 grains of H4350 fast enough to kill stuff I shoot at, no deer that I have put a bullet through has turned its nose up in disdain. I was thinking at some point to own a Montana in the 223, but a stainless Bob would be better for me,bookends for rain or shine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cheesy I remember your rifle! Mine is not quite that nice but pretty darned close. wink

Is that a 3-9 Leupold on yours? That's the scope I was thinking about getting for mine; one of the newer ones with the fast focus and dots.

Yes, that was a 3-9 VXII, only thing I had as a spare when the rifle came in. I think the objective overpowered the rifle and switched it out to a VXIII 2.5-8 (I think???), might have been a VXII 2-7. Looks better now.

Here's another pic with the 3-9
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've looked at a bunch of Custom select Kimbers. That is the first one that truly approaches custom wood. Very nice.

Last edited by battue; 11/10/14.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
battue: Yes Cheesy's rifle is one of the nicest I have seen! Smokin' hot wood!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I was going to ask if the left was as good as the right, and it often isn't. In this case it is.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Cheesy, that is pretty!
Like Battue I've noticed that the wood on lots of the Kimbers doesn't look particularly great. Kind of seems like a waste to spend all the time on fine fit, finish and checkering with a piece of wood that doesn't exhibit much figuring. Some of the ones on GB lately seem down right plain.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

RickF you and I know the Roberts is not for erudite and sophisticated target shooters like yourself smile It does everything wrong with the low BC bullets; doesn't fit actions precisely right,and I have no doubt a proper 6mm or 6.5 is a better mousetrap in may ways. The cartridge is for sentimental,clueless grunts like me who might have used it years past and killed a bunch of stuff with it. blush

But despite the drawbacks it kills well at moderate distances.

That day in Wyoming on the big pronghorn the wind was switching, he looked a long ways out,herding does,and I had no LRF's then so I had to peep through the 4X to get an idea of distance. I knew he was big and wished I had brought the 270 instead. But I held for 400 as he quartered "on" and the 100 gr Partition hit the point of his shoulder and angled back through the chest. He danced in a small circle and collapsed. I figured I could live with that. wink

Bob, just look at my signature and remember who called who "erudite" first! smile

I could very happily run another Roberts. Only two reasons I mention the 260. One for logistics; if you saw how many Scenars I have under the bench you would get it. The second reason! Why to tease you of course! grin

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Rick: Heehee... grin

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Bob,

Did it shoot?

I have the urge to try a Kimber but I am afraid of Kimber roulette.

Dink

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, Bob did it shoot ok? I have a thought that the OAL/Max. mag. length may be an issue. But then again, your experience may be different.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
[Linked Image]

Here's a shot from last hunting season with a 2.5-8
Perfect combo in my mind

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Guys no it did not shoot very well at all.... frown

This one is gonna take some effort.

I tried two factory loads ,120 Partitions from federal,and the Hornady Super Performance 117 SST. I started with the 120 and things went well through bore sighting, everything tracked and the rifle followed the scope. Got rough zero(2" up at 100),let it cool and started group shooting.

The best the 120 would do was 2" at 100; the 117 was just terrible...I won't even say how bad but I can shoot better off hand at that distance.

Yes I was holding the rifle conventionally,bags under the front screw,a soft rest up front. My last Kimber Montana in 257 Roberts I shot the same way and it shot far, far better.

Seems to me something in there is binding or jumping around. It is simply too erratic. It can only be barrel or bedding.

I did take a second,known rifle with me to check "myself" and it shot fine.

On the good side, the rifle handles like a dream,very pleasant to shoot,and the trigger is great and needs nothing. I ran a few magazines full through it and could not make it malfunction in feeding,extraction and ejection and it never flinched. I was honestly more concerned with that.

I like the rifle,despite the poor showing so will stick it out.It handles like a dream......it can only be barrel and bedding. Might also be it does not like heavy bullets but I can get to the bottom of that. In any event the accuracy thing can be fixed. I am going back to the range with it again to try some different stuff but I think it needs some of the Kimber "fixes" LOL!

I will run it at 300 yards today.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
big whoop I have had short action Roberts where bullets needed to be seated deeply. If everything else was done right, they shot fine.

Afterthought: I have noticed that when you push a cartridge to higher velocity,and it shoots worse,it's a sure sign that there's a mechanical problem; bad bedding or assembly. Seen this play out too many times.

This is a reason that guys load juggle,and say rifles shoot better below max. A well built rifle with a good barrel will not flinch at being run at max for the cartridge IME. This rifle is showing just that; the 117 load is stuffed with some dense, slow powder and advertised at 150 fps faster than the 120 NPT load.

No doubt in my mind this is a bedding or assembly problem,although you can't rule out the barrel either.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
for some reason mine hates 110 grain Nosler accubonds, on the other hand with 46 grains of H4350 and a 100 grain bullet I have no issues.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
jimmy that's the load that shot well in my Montana also.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There might be hope Bob.

Old pic from the archives.

This was three(shots) of either 115 BT's or 117 SGK's(can't remember). And just to rub it in a little I didn't touch a thing on the rifle, factory bedding and all.

400 meters.

[Linked Image]

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sam I am not worried about this thing at all.... wink

I am going to run it to 300 yards today and get it off the bags.....maybe it's just that I am holding it too loose on the bags and it's jumping around on me,and it will do better once it's in my hands.

I pulled it apart and the bedding looks fine but you can't tell looking at it. I like the rifle; I'll get it to shoot one way or another. smile

I do remember yours shooting well......matter of fact yours was one reason I bought it!

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/11/14.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's a pic of my ugly Bob, other side is even uglier.

Picked it up from Josh here on the fire early this past year. Hasn't seemed picky about what's been thrown at it and nothings been done other than setting the trigger at a hair under 3 lbs by me.

[Linked Image]

Took it on a cow elk hunt a few weeks back and carried it a few evenings, but didn't get a chance to use it. Ended up using my 280 Montana a different day to fill the tag.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob, you might have to resort to sticking a bipod on it, preferably a real big one. That should settle it right down...

Just kidding.

(I know how much you love bipods....grin)

Let us know how it works out!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's a few test targets from mine. I've shot some of those loads and two different factory loads as well and they've all performed about the same.

[Linked Image]

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sam those bipods are a western tool... smile Hey I would use them for varmints for sure!

Back here well you know how it is.....in New England you are mostly lucky if you get to find any kind of a rest at all... frown

I will keep you posted on this rifle.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cal that's a nice one. What are you feeding yours?

OK I just saw your targets...120 NPT and 100 BT. Keep in mind I only fed this thing factory ammo so far. The 120 Partition looks best at this point. I won't have time to hand load for it until after the season because NH opens tomorrow and I leave for Maine on Sunday.

It'll have to wait until after hunting season.

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/11/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
maybe it's just that I am holding it too loose on the bags and it's jumping around on me,and it will do better once it's in my hands.!

Mine likes a soft foam under the forend and then to be held somewhat firmly, so it can't free recoil back. My Kimber .308 is pretty much the same way.

Went back and looked at some notes, we've only shot 75's, 87's, and 100's out of it. Multiple different bullets in each range, multiple powders, all with good results. I know I haven't, and don't think dad (my custom loading shop) has, shot any of the 115's or 120's out of it.

For deer its just the 100 grain Hornady that gets loaded.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cheesy I thought I was getting a good firm grip on the thing....but maybe not! Like I said I won't have time to get to the lighter stuff for awhile.

Thinking back to the Montana I had,I only shot a hand load with 46- gr H4350 and the 100 BT and partition and that one shot great.

Hey it's just one range session and the rifle is brand new....I will get it sorted out. smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bob, you should be able to get it sorted out. There can be quite a few pre-flight items to check-off at times. Should make for an "enjoyable" post deer season project. I'm sure you will keep us posted.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How's the locking lug engagement?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Bob, sounds like nothing that Gene S, a Krieger and a boatload of cash can't remedy! smile

Hope it works out bud.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
How's the locking lug engagement?

math man it looks good! I checked that...seems pretty even.

Things went better today....6.5x54 was coaching via text from the sidelines and I thank him for his help and experience!

Explain later gotta take wifey to dinner. smile

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good luck with the Bob,Bob! I don't think their is a better mid sized white tail cartridge around. While I have killed them with from 22-44, the Roberts does a good job, is pleasant to shoot and has a modest report.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Guys no it did not shoot very well at all.... frown

This one is gonna take some effort.

I tried two factory loads ,120 Partitions from federal,and the Hornady Super Performance 117 SST. I started with the 120 and things went well through bore sighting, everything tracked and the rifle followed the scope. Got rough zero(2" up at 100),let it cool and started group shooting.

The best the 120 would do was 2" at 100; the 117 was just terrible...I won't even say how bad but I can shoot better off hand at that distance.

Yes I was holding the rifle conventionally,bags under the front screw,a soft rest up front. My last Kimber Montana in 257 Roberts I shot the same way and it shot far, far better.

Seems to me something in there is binding or jumping around. It is simply too erratic. It can only be barrel or bedding.

I did take a second,known rifle with me to check "myself" and it shot fine.

On the good side, the rifle handles like a dream,very pleasant to shoot,and the trigger is great and needs nothing. I ran a few magazines full through it and could not make it malfunction in feeding,extraction and ejection and it never flinched. I was honestly more concerned with that.

I like the rifle,despite the poor showing so will stick it out.It handles like a dream......it can only be barrel and bedding. Might also be it does not like heavy bullets but I can get to the bottom of that. In any event the accuracy thing can be fixed. I am going back to the range with it again to try some different stuff but I think it needs some of the Kimber "fixes" LOL!

I will run it at 300 yards today.

Thanks.

It's a shame that a American rifle company produces a $1200-$1500 rifle that won't shoot.

Dink

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Bob,
I was going to tell you to avoid the 117gr SST's. We have shot them thru at least four Bob's that I can think of and none of them shot worth a damn with that bullet. The 120gr NPT is not the most accurate bullet I've seen in a 1:10 twist barrel. I used it for a while on elk hunts and it worked o.k. for a nice mulie buck. The 100gr Hornady IL is a great bullet and so is the Nosler BT. If you really want a heavier bullet, try the Hornady 117 SPBT. If you can find them they always seemed to shoot well. But the 100gr Hornady is really hard to beat for anything you'll hunt with the Bob. Try it and some 4350 before you make too many changes to the rifle. Best of luck!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah Dink, it's kinda sad.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, so sad. You can get a Tikka for half the price and a 99% guaranteed shooter too! shocked

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Johnny Dollar thanks for the advice on those bullets I think it will work out fine.

Think SamO may be onto something with the bipod to settle things down a bit.....anyway results were so....uuhhh.....bad grin at 100 off the bags I figured there was nothing to be lost by just taking it to 300 yards. I had rough zero so knew I'd stay on paper.

I grabbed the front rest,flopped prone at 300 yards with my left hand supporting the rifle and no rear bags,and fired a 3 shot group with the 117 SST that went about 3" ... based on what it did the day before....over bags,this caught me off guard. (I sent a picture to 6.5x54).

I am used to seeing this sort of thing from my other rifles, but fearful it was a fluke, I grabbed 3 120 NPT's and did about the same thing with the group only slightly larger.

From there I played with the scope and dialed for windage and getting POI where I wanted it...through this shooting the rifle kept doing pretty much the same thing. I then went to 200 yards and it did fine with the 120 NPT.toward the end started string vertically and it occurred to me I was at around 30-40 rounds without cleaning,so i stopped there.

I have seen this before where a rifle just sucked off bags and 100 yard groups,but did much better once you got it in your hands, but it has been awhile since I experienced it,and it caught me off guard even as I watched it happen. To be sure I wasn't crazy, I asked 6.5 who is an experienced match shooter and he said "yes" it certainly does happen and especially with light hunting rifles.

I will pop some more caps later this week. Handloading will not be done till after hunting season. But for the time being it seems if I miss a buck with this rig out to 300 yards, I bet it's my fault. I expect things will get better with the hand loads and hope I don't have to spend a bunch of money like RickF said.... smile

For those interested,feeding/extraction/ejection and function were completely flawless,not a bauble through several magazines full and I did not baby it. The trigger is great and I have no plans to mess with it. The rifle is slick and easy to shoot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob: will the no-bags-bipod-and-rear-hand technique work shooting off a bench in addition to shooting prone? I have a light 257 that is driving me nuts, but the local range requires that you shoot off the benches.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm thinking it will not be long before you have it shooting off the bench also.
FWIT worth I've found that a very light forend grip off the bench is what works the best for me. Just enough to control jump. Too firm and consistency goes away. Don't wrestle with it, just keep it steady is what seems to work the best for me.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
southtexas/battue: It occurred to me to shoot it the same way at 100 yards in the first place, as I watched the shots scatter across the target and I am thinking it's new,the barrel has not been shot much,this thing sucks..... blah blah blah ...it isn't so much there's any magic in shooting it that way,just that for some rifles locking them onto sandbags is a hostile environment for them.

Southtexas i would just set up a front rest, use your left hand rested on the bags to hold the rifle and let it rest lightly on the rear bags and try it that way.This may be what some guys are saying about holding the rifle down on the bags with their left hand;controls jump or something who knows?

It isn't anything new to me because after I zero a rifle at 100 yards the very first thing I do is take it to 300 yards and shoot it that way...I do that from 200-400 yards and rarely use front and rear bags until distances get to 500-600 yards. I didn't hold much hope for this rifle because of the poor showing at 100 off the bags.

But we all get used to using techniques and systems for testing our rifles that take the human equation out of the system as much as possible,and never take the rifle and just shoot it because we are afraid of bouncing reticles.

Once I start hand loading for it, I think it will come around just fine.

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/12/14.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Bob. I'll give it a try.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Inspired by the OP, I pulled my Classic Select from the safe. Decided to pull the Burris 2pc bases with windage screws off. All I could find local a the time. Decided to go through the rifle even though it shot fine off a bulls bag. Found the mag box was binding and the front action bolt was bottoming out. Fixed those 2 items and thought the factory bedding was fine.
Won't know if it makes a difference until the replacement rings and bases come in. Hope what shot well shoots better after the fact.

Last edited by sidepass; 11/12/14.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,918 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,549
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.