Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JasonR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
OK, guys/gals....I've always been a bolt action kinda guy, but I always had a wanting fer a lever gun (just 1). I didn't want a 30-30 so when I found a 1963 Marlin 336 in 35 REM at a good price I snatched it up! When it was shipped, they shipped it w/ the scope off it (it was on it when they pictured it) so I knew I had to sight it in. Got the scope (not sure what kind, seems like the same era fixed power no markings) mounted and went and threw some lead out this AM. I bought some ammo off a friend that were probably from the same era (had a $4.95 price sticker when new) in 200 grain.

I have never shot a lever action, NEVER!!! I enjoyed the heck outta it!!! 1st 3 shots were from 25 yards just to be on target. 1st shot was about 7 from center, adjust then 3 from center, adjust and dead center..... Went back to 50 and let my son shoot off a few rounds and he was about 7-8 inches high. So then I took the rifle and shot 5 rounds w/out any more adjustments from 25. I think I'll leave it alone and was very very pleased, even w/ that scope!!! I didn't think I'd hunt w/ it too much but I may have just changed that!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really like the looks of the half-mag rifles. That's a nice set-up, looks and caliber-wise, you've gotten there.

Do take it hunting, do yourself the favor and see just how effective the old levers and the cartridges they are chambered in are.

I also like my modern McMillan stocked, Pac-nor barreled, Leupold scoped rifles, but I'll hunt with one of my levers in a New York minute.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Jason,

That's a very nice "sporter carbine" you have found for yourself
....nice snag. You better be careful, Marlins can be addicting.

Doc

JasonR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks fer the replies..... A member on a another forum I belong to gave me some see through mounts fer the 35. I don't care fer the see through sights but I have a Meopta 4x12x50 that is doing nothing....A little over kill but what the heck!!!

I'll take a pic when I get her done to show ya!!! hahaha ought look kinda weird!!!

JasonR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Here she is....

At zero being 100 yards, it says about a 12 inch drop at 200 so I will be testing this out Tuesday prior to going to work! At least w/ the Meopta, I'll be able to see the target better at 200 yards!

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No Offense meant but the first scope mounting looks A ok! The second one..........not so much. Just braying.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yeah, I gotta agree with Angus. I'd say it needs an old steel tube Weaver K2.5 to keep it in character. But do whatever you want, just take it hunting! You won't regret it.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

JasonR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yeah...it doesn't look old school now. It's classier looking with the original scope but if I'm gonna stretch her out, I need some power!

Thanks fer all the comments guys!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Find you a nice low power scope and mount it as low as possible over the barrel. A Leupold 1-4x20mm,1.5-5x20mm, Weaver K2.5 or similar mounted in Weaver low rings and Warne bases will give you a very low scope mount. You will find that the older Marlins have a stock drop that is designed for open sights. A very high mounted scope will prevent you from getting a good cheek weld especially when snap shooting. The huge high mounted scope will also ruin the balance of a handy leveraction carbine. I know you are a bolt guy, but try using the levergun for the purpose it is best suited for and you will like it better. Also, 200 yd shots are no problem using a 4X setting with practice.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
JasonR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Find you a nice low power scope and mount it as low as possible over the barrel. A Leupold 1-4x20mm,1.5-5x20mm, Weaver K2.5 or similar mounted in Weaver low rings and Warne bases will give you a very low scope mount. You will find that the older Marlins have a stock drop that is designed for open sights. A very high mounted scope will prevent you from getting a good cheek weld especially when snap shooting. The huge high mounted scope will also ruin the balance of a handy leveraction carbine. I know you are a bolt guy, but try using the levergun for the purpose it is best suited for and you will like it better. Also, 200 yd shots are no problem using a 4X setting with practice.

I noticed the setting of the scope didn't work well with the eye relief when I sighted it in....I've seen a few other post about the smaller scopes and some w/ shotgun type scopes. I've got someone on another forum wanting the Meopta so I may just sell it and invest into a better smaller scope to keep my head in line with the scope instead of contorting my head and neck. I did notice I have a strain in my neck after shooting a bunch of rounds so the recoil may have caused me to pinch a nerve!!! Off to the chiro!!! Thanks fer everyone's suggestions!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two scopes I can recommend from personal experience that would be ideal on your new lever. One is the Leupold VX-2 1-4X20 and the other is the FX-II Ultralight 2.5X20.

The 1-4X20 is a little more forgiving in regards to the eyebox, a little heavier, is stout, and has slightly less eye relief. I have one on a .44 mag rifle.

The FX-II requires you to be just a little more conscious of your cheekweld, has 5 inches of eye relief, only weighs 6.5 ounces, and is hell-for-stout. this one is on my .45-70 Guide gun.

I have found field of view more important than magnification when hunting brushy terrain, and I never have really taken to high-magnification scopes, preferring something in 2-7X33. Which, by the way, would be another good choice.

JasonR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I have two scopes I can recommend from personal experience that would be ideal on your new lever. One is the Leupold VX-2 1-4X20 and the other is the FX-II Ultralight 2.5X20.

The 1-4X20 is a little more forgiving in regards to the eyebox, a little heavier, is stout, and has slightly less eye relief. I have one on a .44 mag rifle.

The FX-II requires you to be just a little more conscious of your cheekweld, has 5 inches of eye relief, only weighs 6.5 ounces, and is hell-for-stout. this one is on my .45-70 Guide gun.

I have found field of view more important than magnification when hunting brushy terrain, and I never have really taken to high-magnification scopes, preferring something in 2-7X33. Which, by the way, would be another good choice.

Thanks fer the info Vic!!! I'll take that to heart since you are in my old home state brother!!! hahaha

When I took the small scope off, I found the markings on it....It's an old Westernfield scope. I was unaware of them making scopes, I did have an old shotgun made by them at 1 time that was my sons 1st scattergun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And you're living in the state I was born in, how about that?

If it is Westernfield, it more than likely is a rebranded scope, of which brand I could not tell you.

JasonR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
And you're living in the state I was born in, how about that?

WEIRD!!! hahaha Still got most of my family up in Richmond, Blacksburg, Christiansburg....New Port News born though!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm right next to Ft. Lee, near Richmond.

JasonR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just sold the Meopta, I reckon I'll stick the ole little scope back on it until I find another better quality one....DANG means I'll have to re-sight it in!!! Sure hate that (insert sarcasm here).....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ye it's hell when you have to take your guns out and shoot em.

I like the little Weaver V3 1-3x20 scopes.I think they are the perfect scope for a leaver action brush gun.They are light weight (8.5 oz)and are true 1x japan glass that can be used with both eyes open and can be had brand new for less then $200 ($182.99 at opticsplanet.com).Paired with a set of low rings the scope sets low to the reciever and does not upset the balance and fast handeling characteristics of the lever action cowboy guns.

Last edited by buzardbait; 11/22/14.

Like oats through a horses ass, so are the days of my life
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Gotta agree with buzardbait on the Weaver 1-3x20. Bought one on here from Fieldgrade and it is just about the perfect combination. On 1X, It serves as basically an Aimpoint for closer shots with the 3X being fine for 100-150 yds.
John

JasonR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ya'll ain't gonna believe this.......I sold the Meopta, but season starts this week so I said I would just put the small fixed scope back on it until I get a better fixed power fer it! At 50 yards, it was 1 inch low dead center!!! I adjusted it 2 inches low and she is good to go! Had to shoot another 10 rounds just fer giggles!!! Man, I love this gun!!!

Last edited by JasonR; 11/24/14.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
667 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.