Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Dre
IF I was to do it again and wanted 'hunting' rifles for North america. It would be, 223/5.56, 270 and 338.
I know that is one too many.
But you can't go wrong with 243 and 7mm or 300WM

Yeah, this last is what was originally suggested to me. I think one of the things is that I have done a poor job communicating what I am really trying to accomplish and what I intend to do with these rifles.

You could almost say one if for hunting everything and, to a lesser degree, light 'tactical' fun at the range. The other is pretty much purely about long range target shooting for fun and training.

They are not both hunting rifles. Someone suggested an F class rifle, and this is probably pretty close to what I had in mind for the second gun. If hunting is 'practical', then the second is very much not that. The first is primarily 'practical', secondarily 'tactical'.

But even with that said, yeah, I don't realistically need a 300 or 7 mag. Though I can load them down, that is a reality I need to really think on and balance any downsides with just the fun of having that much power at my disposal.

Honestly, I really liked hunting with my 375...it was fun.

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
It it was 1 rifle, a .30/06 or .300 Winchester.

For 2, I'd consider the .25/06 and the 7mm Remington Magnum if the lower 48 is a definite and the .300 Winchester if you want the keep the hunting door ajar.

The .25/06 will cover all the light end and creep into "opportunity territory" and the 7mm Remington is a do all as far as you can do it cartridge.

Either way, both rifles will feel similar and have the same bolt throw. Both should be scoped the same so they are twins.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm no writer, but the goals that you state for your 2 rifles don't sound realistic to me.

I've run through 50 rounds of rimfire and 5 rounds of 25-06 (and some honey-do's) since my above post. I can and do shoot right here at the house, and I still wouldn't have hours in the day or week for what you propose.

But... You're not me, and if you can swing it, it still seems that you need at least 3 rifles for your stated purposes...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
'Keep the hunting door ajar'

I like that! It pretty much sums up the way I think about these things.

That constant possibility of 'what if' that keeps you pushing forward to do more than you thought possible.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

Having only 2 rifles would be rough.........

I used to have a lot more, but I traded them all in for a couple kids wink

The 8 year old, btw, would gush over your avatar, being a serious Maiden fan....

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For a carry BG rifle i'd look very hard at a 270 WCF from NULA for a long actioned rifle.And a 6.5x284 NULA for a short one.With TTSXs you could handle just about anything on 4 legs in NA and not have the recoil of a 7mm mag or the 300 mag.You might actually enjoy shooting it.
NULAs are expensive.But weight wise quality wise and everyother wise you will be all done.
If I had followed my own advise I could have saved an awful lot of money...
For playing around double duty stuff.
I'd look at something like MontanaMarines bigger rifle in a 6.5x47 Lapua.I like MMs set up on that rifle and a 6.5x47 kicks less than a 06.Dont give up much of anything to a 06 at a grand either..
We shoot 6.5x47s all summer long at 1000 BR matches and do very well.Figure 2000 to 2500 rounds of BR accuracy before you need a barrel change.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
One rifle and I would also go with a 270 or 7/08.

Two rifles and I would go with a 243 paired with a 30-06 or 300 WSM.

Did someone already say that?

grin

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by SamOlson
One rifle and I would also go with a 270 or 7/08.

Two rifles and I would go with a 243 paired with a 30-06 or 300 WSM.

Did someone already say that?

grin

Yeah, or pretty close to it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It is easy to make the correct choice, as there is only one. Get two 222 Remingtom magnums and when you get a little extra money buy a third...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Hard to beat an 8 twisted 243 for target shooting and most of your NA hunting. For slightly bigger game, a 280ai will fill things out nicely.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
318 Westley Richards and 6.5X55 would put you in good stead. cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Calvin
Hard to beat an 8 twisted 243 for target shooting and most of your NA hunting. For slightly bigger game, a 280ai will fill things out nicely.

Is there a factory 243 that comes with an 8 twist?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sidepass
7mm RM and 243 Win.

I kind of like this pair. Plenty of brass and commonly available ammo and components. In the 7 RM category lots of stuff will work but I would not want any odd ball rifle looney cartridges. Too hard to find ammo on hunts if you should need it for some reason. But in truth there's a bunch that will work on anything.

The 7 RM is a legit LR cartridge, recoils moderately and kills anything on the continent. The 243 does the other target/varmint/light game work.

Personally I would not want just one rifle in the 7RM/30/06 class...planned BG hunts are expensive in time and/or money.If you have a last minute problem with a rifle you should have another ready to go right away that you trust and shoot well.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by catorres1
Originally Posted by Calvin

Is there a factory 243 that comes with an 8 twist?

I know of faactory 1/9 twists.
Are you truly stuck on factory?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by BobinNH
7mm RM and 243 Win.

I kind of like this pair. Plenty of brass and commonly available ammo and components. In the 7 RM category lots of stuff will work but I would not want any odd ball rifle looney cartridges. Too hard to find ammo on hunts if you should need it for some reason. But in truth there's a bunch that will work on anything.

The 7 RM is a legit LR cartridge, recoils moderately and kills anything on the continent. The 243 does the other target/varmint/light game work.

Personally I would not want just one rifle in the 7RM/30/06 class...planned BG hunts are expensive in time and/or money.If you have a last minute problem with a rifle you should have another ready to go right away that you trust and shoot well.

Bob,
Common sense and practicality is not the purpose of the "innernet", although you did allow a second cartridge into the conversation if only to appease the OP.

There was an article series (very briefly) about 40 years ago (Don't recall the Mag) whereby 2 writers took opposing views on a cartridge.

I think the market is ready for a new series.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by catorres1
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

Having only 2 rifles would be rough.........

I used to have a lot more, but I traded them all in for a couple kids wink

The 8 year old, btw, would gush over your avatar, being a serious Maiden fan....

Ha! I haven't seen Maiden since the late 80's....Lol I couldn't resist Eddie with a sniper rifle when I first saw it.

Since you have the 8 yr. old, either get a 223 or 243 twisted 1-8. Then get a 7mmRM and call it good. If you ever find yourself wanting larger, replace that old 375. You will have all the bases covered....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
30-06 and 243 Win.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
7mm RM and 243 Win.

Bob,
Common sense and practicality is not the purpose of the "innernet", although you did allow a second cartridge into the conversation if only to appease the OP.

There was an article series (very briefly) about 40 years ago (Don't recall the Mag) whereby 2 writers took opposing views on a cartridge.

I think the market is ready for a new series.

John

John I am sure you have noticed that I tend to "lump" cartridges by class...won't deny there are differences but for myself results have been pretty much the same with various cartridges within the "class", i.e., everything I shot ended up dead. smile

For me it's always been more about the hunting and less about the gack,but I became a rifle nut anyway.

As to a new, more contemporary series, how about a 300WSM and a 6XC....I could live with that. wink

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/09/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
+1

The 300WSM should not be overlooked.

It does a lot, with manageable recoil.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
7mm RM and 243 Win.

A case of do as I say . . .

I guess when the 7 Mashburn went SAAMI I missed it. wink

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,849 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,695
Posts18,456,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.