Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Howdy all, Rose and I returned from South Africa June 24 th. Rose
took a very large Lioness at 90 yards with a Pro Hunter in .375 H&H with a Barnes 300 gr. One shot, one kill along with her Impala, Blesbuck and Waterbuk all one shot. The Blesbuk was at 312 yards. I used her rifle for an Eland at 200 yards as well. Our PH stated, with a .375 H&H and a solid, the bullet goes into the head of an Elephant and comes out the rear end, what more do you what. The conversation was reference the heavy mediums, the .416 mags and such. As well as a lot more recoil, he said the effect wasn't much different. I would be interested to hear your views on this. I did shoot his .500 Jefferies and no I couldn't take that recoil very often, I might have a permanent twitch, if you know what I mean. So I don't know why I am so taken with the .416's, but would like to hear some options on them vs the .375. Roses .375 in the Pro Hunter. sighted in at 50 yards as the predicted shot at 20 - 50 yards. It gave a perfect zero at 20 yards, at 100 yards, and ( I know, don't call me a layer) 6" high at 200 yards, hence the PH told Rose to hold over the back of the Blesbuk 3" at 312 yards and she hit him in the spine, so that should support my findings. I know, I keep talking myself back to the .375, What do you think. Patrick ps If you would like to see a few photos, please visit our website. www.grashornsgunworks.com Thank you Patrick

Retired Deputy Sheriff, 30 years gunsmithing and grip making, full time stag grip maker for 22 years.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
there is a difference between a clients rifle and a PH's rifle.....they do different things, and unless they have REALLY small bodied elephant there he was pulling your leg on the 375 penetration....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"There are still a few of us graybeards left in the state, however, who are unwilling to sacrifice the marginal advantage offered by our .416s and 458s. When dealing with dangerous game as large, impressively quick and intelligent as brown bears any advantage can mean the difference between hiring a taxidermist or a surgeon. As anyone who has experience in mortal combat or even a dust-up on the school yard can tell you, stunning or dropping your adversary a fraction of a second quicker or keeping them down a second longer can be a tremendous advantage. It is the best I can offer to describe the elusive big-bore "knockdown power that hunters, soldiers and ballistitians have striven so long to quantify, and for the reason for the continual fascination of powerful, large-bore rifles."
--Phil Shoemaker

'Buffalo is the one species where you can use a rifle that possesses real stopping power. Hit them with a .500 Jeffery or 505 Gibbs, and they will stop, even if the shot isnt instantly fatal. It is quite impressive to see the way they rear up on taking a hit with a good soft point from one of these rounds. However, I have never seen a 470 Nitro Express or 458 Lott be any more effective than my 9.3.

Generally clients are advised to bring a 375 H&H, as they are most likely to shoot this better than something bigger, and then the PH doesnt have to shoot their game for them. Without a doubt a well placed first shot negates the need for stopping power. For the PH, though, the choice isnt always obvious. A few of us have always used a relatively smallbore-a 9.3 or 375- but most have gone to the 458 Lott. I can see no advantage in this, however as i get older (and slower) and the ammunition supply has greatly improved, I am having a good look at the Blaser R8 in 500 Jeffery."
--Don Heath

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 53 invisible), 2,951 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.