Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Guys:

I want to thank John Barsness (Mule Deer) for his latest excellent optics article, THE OPTICAL TRIAD: MAGNIFICATION, EYE RELIEF, AND FIELD OF VIEW, (click on the title), which you will find on the Campfire Home Page.

Please use this thread to ask John about the article. And I would be remiss in failing to state that his long awaited optics book MODERN HUNTING OPTICS is to be found at riflesandrecipes.com.

I will be getting my copy!

Thanks John, and thanks all.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks JB, very nice read.

You are a valuable resource to this forum.

Again, thank you Rick for this place on the "Net"

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That article is a good ready reckoner for the newbie and beaut revision for the experienced shooter.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Excellent, thank you.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice article and I'm glad to see there will be more on a monthly basis.

MD - when is the book shipping, or is it already going out?

Thanks

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Nice! Thanks

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Great article. I remember the old Leupold ads back in the 70's that had a diagram of the Optical Triangle or triad in them.

Thanks John!

Tim

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good read for sure.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Good article, John.

Swarovski has a long eye relief scope they call their EE (Extended Eye relief). Since it's in the lower magnification range (1-5), I expect it suffers less from the FOV loss; is that correct? I think something like that (120 mm or about 5 inches) would be ideal when mounting a scope with a relatively short mounting length on a long action rifle.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, especially when set on 1x!

With a scope set on 1x, or even 1.5x, you can generally just shoot with both eyes open, so essentially will have unlimited FOV.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What does zoom range mean?
I was looking at couple scope. Nikon monarch 2-10 power that has 4x zoom range and Minox ZA HD 2-10 power that has 5x zoom range.
If it's in your article and I missed, I apologize.
Thank you.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Zoom range simply means the ratio of minimum and maximum magnification. For many years after variable scopes became popular in the U.S. the most common range was 3X, as in 3-9x scopes.

But many companies eventually developed practical variables with even more magnification range, in part because shooters wanted the maximum amount of flexbility. The most I've heard about is 6X, with examples being 1-6x or 3-18x scopes.

Many companies use the zoom range in their model designations. Swarovski, for instance, has three lines of riflescopes, Z3 (with a 3X magnification range), Z5 (5X) and Z6 (6X).

John Steinbeck
Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thank you, But I still don't understand how the magnification ratio works when you have a variable power scope.
What about fixed 6 power scope with 4x zoom range. is it magnified 6x or ?
sorry, I just want clear understanding

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Fixed power scopes don't have a zoom range. Instead a fixed 6x scope only magnifies 6 times. In other words, when looking through the scope a target at 600 yards appears only 100 yards away.

A 3-9x variable scope can magnify the target 3x or 9x or anywhere in between, depending on where you turn the magnification ring.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is a very informative article, especially for a neophyte such as me.

I have a question that is somewhat unrelated to the TRIAD. I have an early 1990s vintage Nikon 8x30 roof prism, green rubber-armored, individual focus binocular. With the individual focus, I can focus each eye separately once, and then the binocular stays in focus from short range to infinity. I always appreciated this feature because I can simply raise the binocular and instantly and clearly see what I am looking at without spinning a focus wheel.

What is it about this binocular that makes it able to stay in focus without adjusting for various ranges? I always figured it must have something to do with the individual focus feature, but I really don't know.

Also, why isn't this sort of binocular more popular, especially with hunters? It seems to be quicker and more fool-proof than spinning a focus wheel and maybe a diopter eyepiece. In fact, I can just glance at the settings by looking at the markings near the ocular lenses and know whether the bin has moved out of focus for my eyes. Typically, it doesn't, and so it is essentially always in focus.

What are the disadvantages to this type of binocular?

Thank you, and have a prosperous 2015!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In 8x or less magnification, individual focus binoculars are actually pretty practical for a lot of hunting. They work partly because lower-magnification binoculars have greater depth-of-field than 10x+ binoculars, and because our eyes can also focus a little to accommodate the view. IF binoculars are also very easy to seal against moisture, compared to focus-wheel binoculars.

IF, however, doesn't work as well with more magnification. Plus, bird-watchers buy an awful lot of binoculars, and they're typically glassing at closer distances than hunters, often less than 25 yards down to a few feet. They require quick-focusing, so most binoculars are made with the birding market in mind.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you for that answer. It makes a lot of sense. When looking for Internet reviews of binoculars over the years, I discovered that there are a lot more bird-watchers than I would have suspected, and they certainly appear to spend a lot of money on glass. It seems that they buy glass like hunters/shooters buy firearms.

The funny thing is, I don't personally know any dedicated bird-watchers, and I don't believe I ever ran into one while in the outdoors. They must spend a lot of money on camo, too....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Actually, I haven't seen many bird-watchers in camo! They're kind of like wildlife photographers, mostly going to parks and other places where animals and birds are used to people, so are relatively tame.

They do spend a lot of money on binoculars, though, because like rifles for hunters, binoculars are their primary tool. About the only other thing they really need is a bird guide, and even the best one available for North America is less than $50.

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.