Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
If you can see them approaching, don't you try to immediately make space for them?

You probably do, know I do. Some people do make it hard, but when I see merging traffic (as I'm usually in the right lane unless passing), I start trying to make a space for them.

Do if I can - I practice the SMITH system of driving. Drilled into my head when I got my CDL 17 years ago but there isn't always room - particularly as we're on year 3 of a 10 year construction project in this town on 41. (give or take)

Point is - don't do 35/40 up the ramp and simply move over because I GUARANTEE if you pile into someone - you're at fault.

Me

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by badger
Originally Posted by FishingHunter
If you wanna see idiot drivers, drive thru that $hithole Houston,Tx. I dont see how people do it. They could never pay me enough to drive thru that daily. Worst traffic in the USA, well maybe besides Los Angeles!

Nah. Been through Houston, Miami is worse.

Houston/San Antonio aren't much fun. I never minded Chicago traffic.

Me

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Lump 'em all together, and explain to me again,
how there's no legitimate use for automatic weapons. crazy

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by dassa
My beef is with those boneheads in Wyoming that don't know how to dim their headlights. Or do know how, but are just pricks.

Not just Wyoming ...bet there are plenty in you locale and everywhere else. Add to that the dumbasses that think driving with their fog lights on is cool.

Yep, they're everywhere. But most of my night driving is in Wyoming.

I don't know about other states, but Colorado got rid of drivers ed several decades ago, and the drivers just get worse and worse. I could triple my post count just posting about driving pet peeves.

ever watch Canada's WORST DRIVER on TV ,blow your mind it will.

grin

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The angles and curves on a ramp I use pretty continuously are such that you can't see traffic until you're WAY committed - the state DOT needs to add a merge/acceleration lane there.
BTW - I mostly drive 65 on the interstate, as it saves me about 15% on fuel - and I typically spend between 12, and 14 thousand a year on fuel.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by okok
Originally Posted by teal
Those that don't realize that as they get onto the highway - it's THEIR job to merge with traffic, not those already on the highway and doing 70's job to slow down and fit you in.

Feel free to friken check the lane before you simply come up the ramp and move left at 40 mph azzhole!

Amazing how many People don't realize this or just don't give a phugg.

Take your meds...you're making zero sense. You just showed yourself that you don't know the rules of the road. You're "That Guy" LOL

And how exactly do you check out the lane when you can't see the lane until you're well up the ramp and committed?

Both of you guys sound like you're the kind of azzholes who speed up to keep somebody from getting in the lane in front of you.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by teal
Those that don't realize that as they get onto the highway - it's THEIR job to merge with traffic, not those already on the highway and doing 70's job to slow down and fit you in.

Feel free to friken check the lane before you simply come up the ramp and move left at 40 mph azzhole!

Amazing how many People don't realize this or just don't give a phugg.

Take your meds...you're making zero sense. You just showed yourself that you don't know the rules of the road. You're "That Guy" LOL

And how exactly do you check out the lane when you can't see the lane until you're well up the ramp and committed?

Both of you guys sound like you're the kind of azzholes who speed up to keep somebody from getting in the lane in front of you.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty clear from this thread that the problem drivers will not change their ways.
It's so simple to merge, but it's easier to demand that the drivers already moving with the traffic flow get out of the way.

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We better not discuss parking lots laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Take your meds...you're making zero sense.

If you think I was making zero sense then you are quite drunk right now.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Tracks
Pretty clear from this thread that the problem drivers will not change their ways.
It's so simple to merge, but it's easier to demand that the drivers already moving with the traffic flow get out of the way.

Agree 110% [with the caveat that in some instances, you have to make room for the person merging if you're in the right lane].

This doesn't mean you should need to slam on the brakes, but it's a 2-person process to make the 'zippering' process happen correctly. Needing to hit the brakes and drop from 60 to 40 so some special person can mergo into 60mph traffic at 40mph should never happen. That said, the person merging needs to do their damndest to get up to speed ASAP. They merging party are the ones who have the responsibility to YIELD but, everyone also has the "we live in a society" obligation to make this fast and easy... if that makes one bit of sense.

It takes a village. And every village has their idiot. In fact, I'm sure they all have more than one.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
And those idiots all have obama bumper stickers.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by byc
were this the case 90% of DC and ALL of SC would be gone. Just horrible driving around these parts.

Oh yeah...the yankees and mid westerners on their way to Myrtle Beach. Even hanging would be too nice.
You should see the Johnny-Rebs tryin' to navigate roads with snow on em' up here.... Lotsa people would buy tix to see it..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

When I have to go down thru California, you can really feel like you are in a zoo... same thing going thru Potland and Seattle...

Potland and especially Seattle can be a real parking lot...in any direction...

When I go thru California, I set the cruise control on 5 mph under the speed limit, stay in the right lane and watch most of the world go by... less stress and I am not competing with the rest of the traffic 'jockeying' for position...

around town and on rural 2 lanes, I have learned to be a defensive driver long ago, and not get in a hurry... that avoids a lot of stress associated with competition of trying to maintain 5 mph over the speed limit, or people just hauling azz thru town...

we have tons of old ladies around here that blow right thru stop signs and red lights with their head in a fog...or the ones that burn thru traffic like some 17 year old teeny bopper...

me and my son have learned to make jokes about those types...
either they are late for bingo starting or they have to get home before their cat has an anxiety attack, because they stayed too long at Walmart...

gotta admit tho, people with California plates or Washington plates bother me going thru our town, totally ignoring speed limit signs like the ones on Hwy 199 or 99 that are 6 to 8 feet high.. like it doesn't apply to them....firing thru red lights just as they change, or your light changes to green, but you have to wait to make sure 3 more cars aren't flying thru the intersection...usually Having Washington or California plates..

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
To me, it all comes down to common courtesy, or lack of.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I spent a few hours on the Interstate this weekend. The usual annoyances going out - people who get all horned up to pass you, then they pull back in your lane and slow down. Never have understood why more people don't use the cruise and just make a steady speed.

Or the ones who like to drive alongside big rigs, matching their speed, to make sure no one can pass them. Eventually they get clear of the truck, they speed back up to make it harder for you to pass them. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by yeselk
Aholes that don't use turn signals

All the wetbacks in TX don't even know that there is a turn signal lever in their vehicle. mad

Or when and how to turn on the headlights!!!

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I saw something I'd never seen before this past Sat.

Was driving south on I-15 (left lane) and some goober had front-ended the guard rail on the left side (probably texting and drifted over).

he was trying to move from the left ER strip to the right. yes, across 5 lanes of traffic doing 80MPH

he was crossways in our lane, about 3 cars ahead.

FYI, my antilock brake system is working just fine, thank you

shocked

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can tell who's a native Idaho driver - he's the one that just begins to use his turn signal long after you already figured out where he's going. The other half of that game, lately, are those who close the gap as soon as you signal your intention to change lanes.

I drive every day by an on-ramp that enters the interstate uphill and blind. It takes a certain amount of unjustified faith for people to attempt to merge there at any speed. Drivers approaching the ramp on the interstate can see this early enough to accommodate, but few do. Instead, they do their best to leave a little less than a car length behind the car ahead of them. I always move over to the left lane when approaching this ramp - incurring the wrath of those "left for passing only" drivers who think My 5 over the speed limit isn't fast enough.

BTW - Idaho has no "left for passing only" law. We do have lanes designated as such by sign - but not a universal law or rule.

Driving really is easy, if you lose the ego, put down the phone, and just pay attention.

BTW - I'd say the phone is one of the biggest driving problems - but it isn't just a driving problem.

My long-standing pet peeve has been the driver who is too stupid to make sure he won't get hit by a train (another easy task that some just can't make the effort for). And if he survives, has the gall to say he didn't see/hear it coming.

But my current irritant is all those drivers who can't figure out how to use a roundabout.....refuse to figure it out....and/or campaign against the construction where they make sense, on the basis that "roundabouts are stupid anywhere". One of the best and most cost-efficient time and gas saving devices - and these people are too scared to use them. If they are too ignorant or afraid to learn to use them, they should just go another way and let the rest of us benefit from them.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Our first winter storm hit this morning. Very icy with blowing snow. Lots of energy workers here from other states. Some are getting a quick lesson about the coefficient of friction.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
613 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,830 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,130
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.