Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
Plus 100 on the front end loader, I absolutely love mine.

Did someone say hanging deer?? Just a couple of weeks ago, I used my front end loader to bring this buck into the shop and lift it to hang for skinning�..sure saves wear on the back!!

[Linked Image]

Boy, I hope finally owning a tractor helps me get nice bucks, too. grin

What's this about hanging Deer. That's just light duty work! Let's try a little bit heavier job.

[Linked Image]

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Now I have a question for you diesel tractor owners. This little machine is due for an oil change. I have the filter, but I'm curious about what to use for oil. The manual indicates that I should use 10W-30 for the temps in my area. I'd like to use a synthetic for better flow at low temps, but I'm having a little trouble finding a diesel rated oil in that viscosity. Mostly what I'm finding is Rotella 15W-45 in either dino or synthetic.

What are you owners of smaller diesel tractors using for engine oil?

Last oil change I used Rotella T6 5w-40 synthetic for one of our loader tractors.
(started everyday, stored outside, multiple engine heaters)

Same tractor gets 15w-40 during the warmer months.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Sam. Biggest problem I'm having now is finding oil in the viscosity I want.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bruin, one thing that may have been mentioned but I haven't seen it is to weld two chain hooks at each end of the loader on the top of it. You can't believe how handy they are. For one thing, if you need to secure a load within the loader such as a refrigerator or something, you just hook the end of a chain in one hook and run it around the object being transported and put the other end of the chain in the other hook and you have it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Get some of this, Oil

And one of these, Click Here

You may have to order the oil, now that yer a farmer what ya gonna grow? have fun with the tractor.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I had to buy 10W30 diesel turbo oil from the local CaseIH dealer.

If you use a loader, best have chains for the rear tires.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hi Scot can I borrow your tractor??? The right answer is not no but H#ll NO. Have fun and be safe with your new toy. Clint

just for Fun
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mickey, that's a good idea. I'll check into doing that.

wabigoon, I do have rear chains for it.

Clint, you can use it all you want as long you want....in my driveway. wink

Paul, I've been looking into different types of heaters including magnetic block heaters, radiator hose heaters and oil pan heaters like you linked to. What's the best way to go? Maybe a combination of a couple different heaters?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
best? a REAL block heater..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A block heater that goes into one of the freeze plug holes or directly into the block is best but the one I linked you to is a very good option and uses less energy than a true block heater and will transfer the heat better than a magnetic heater as it is siliconed directly to the oil pan.

You might want to go to your local dealer and find out if the engine is equipped for a block heater as it may be and all you would have to do is remove a plug and install the heater.

Say........you didn't get this tractor to farm Marigawanna and be medical care giver did ya? grin

Last edited by 12344mag; 11/28/14.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
best? a REAL block heater..

You're talking immersion type, right?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The JD factory heater, at least for their smaller series of tractors, heats the radiator fluid, about where it comes out of the block and back to the radiator.

It's a Yanmar engine so it is probably Yanmar's design.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
A block heater that goes into one of the freeze plug holes or directly into the block is best but the one I linked you to is a very good option and uses less energy than a true block heater and will transfer the heat better than a magnetic heater as it is siliconed directly to the oil pan.

You might want to go to your local dealer and find out if the engine is equipped for a block heater as it may be and all you would have to do is remove a plug and install the heater.

Say........you didn't get this tractor to farm Marigawanna and be medical care giver did ya? grin

Hey now, don't you be getting any rumors going. grin Besides, if that's all I was doing I'd just need a quiet corner of the basement, a 20 amp circuit to run my lights and a bunch of TuffR with the reflective coating on one side. I learned more than I ever wanted to know about that deal from my sister's first husband. shocked

I've been doing some reading on tractorbynet.com and there is an optional immersion type block heater available for this rig. I need to do some looking on the engine and find out which freeze plug it replaces and see how difficult an install it would be.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Thanks Sam. Biggest problem I'm having now is finding oil in the viscosity I want.

Skip the 10W-30 and use this:

http://www.shell.com/rotella/products/t6.html

It's full synthetic and the 5W rating will give you better flow at low temp than the 10W stuff. Plus, you can find it at a reasonable price at any wal-mart. I'm a big believer in shell rotella diesel oil, my diesel jeep liberty uses the T6 and the rest of my diesel stuff (tractor & 1999 dodge cummins) use the regular 15W-40.

If you just have to have 10W-30 then use the T5 synthetic blend 10W-30, but you'd be better off with the T6 5W-40

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/183-1349443-9389410?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mobil+one+diesel+oil

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd get a block heater in that baby.
The heating elements that replace freeze out plug are very good.

I like CAT block heaters that are external and pulls the coolant from one end of the block and puts back in the other.
Heaters in the radiator hoses suck.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We have 2 block plug heaters and a coolant pump type heater on the loaders. Use the pump unless it's really cold then we plug everything in.

And a tank full of #1 with some additive and the fancy synthetic engine oil. And the occasional shot of ether.

Nothing worse than dicking around for an hour or two in the morning trying to start a tractor.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know im late to this but, old tractor being better than new sometimes refers to the fact that a 1950-60's tractor with the same horsepower will be bigger and heavier along with more torque. If you have ever seen a john deere B two cylinder tractor in a tractor pull, it is unreal what one can pull with with only 12HP. Even though the new small tractors have four wheel drive in many instances a "B" would pull them around. YMMV based on conditions

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
We have 2 block plug heaters and a coolant pump type heater on the loaders. Use the pump unless it's really cold then we plug everything in.

And a tank full of #1 with some additive and the fancy synthetic engine oil. And the occasional shot of ether.

Nothing worse than dicking around for an hour or two in the morning trying to start a tractor.

Sam;
Good morning to you my cyber friend, I hope this finds you and yours well and warm on this chilly morning.

Although I'm by no stretch either a diesel expert or live where it's extremely cold anymore, I did grow up with them in Saskabush and since moving here to BC we've had at least two diesel powered machines/vehicles on the place for over two decades.

I think it might be helpful if folks always remember two things with diesel engines, the first being that they need to be at full operating temperature to run correctly and efficiently.

The second is open for a wee bit of debate I suppose, but I've always contended that most engine or motor wear takes place in the time between a dead cold start and full running temperature.

As evidence I present all the diesel powered trucks that died premature deaths from folks using them in town to run for coffee or get the mail - which never brought them up to temperature and in many cases washed the cylinders.

You'll appreciate this I think Sam - a good friend in the Yukon told me that on his old Cummins Dodge he had an electric blanket heater for each battery, an oil pan heater and the block heater. He told me once, "When I plug it in Dwayne the lights in Dawson City go dim...." grin

Anyway Sam, not that you need it but I'm another former cold dweller and diesel engine enthusiast that whole heartedly agrees with your approach.

Oh, lastly though to the OP or anyone else - if the engine in question is a pre-chamber injection like our old '90 Jetta 1.6 or our Mitsubishi powered tractor is, then DO NOT use ether as it can blow the side of the intake off. Food for thought for sure, eh Sam? wink

Have a good weekend and do keep warm Sam.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 11/29/14.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Morning Dwayne, I should have mentioned only to use ether where 'applicable'. Don't use it on the pickups, etc.!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
687 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,778 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.