Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Swarovski has been good for me on deer and elk out past 1k, in good conditions (no rain or fog).

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
Thanks. Was that a one-time thing or can you do that with the swaro pretty consistently?

Consistently.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Think Vectronix when you want to do it on a very regular basis.

Copied from: http://www.6mmbr.com/rangefinders.html
Swarovski Laser Guide:
Aiming circle (13 MOA inside diameter) is too large. Makes aiming small objects at long distance tricky business. Some delay (latency) when scanning in normal mode.

Last edited by WBill; 11/05/14. Reason: Added Swarovski info
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
G7 BR-2.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by WBill

Swarovski Laser Guide:
Aiming circle (13 MOA inside diameter) is too large. Makes aiming small objects at long distance tricky business. Some delay (latency) when scanning in normal mode.

I'll make sure I tell all the game I kill that I should have used a different range finder.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Swarovski Laser Guide:

Vectronix rules from what I've seen.

I have a Terrapin and it's an improvement over Geovids, especially at 1000+, but the 5000$ model Vectronix blows them all away.

A buddy was guiding on a ranch I was hunting for antelope and has the more expensive model. It was really the only range finder that would get readings on animals past 1000. The G7's were basically worthless.

I used the Geovids and the Terrapin to verify if I could get readings. Getting readings with the Geovids was sketchy...

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Swarovski Laser Guide:

You mean you can not center the target in the circle? Not that difficult with practice I have found.
Yes when going past 1,000 yards the Vectronix is the best.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Antelope seem to be the hardest to get an accurate reading on out on an open flat.... If i can not get three accurate readings with my Leica, I do not shoot, helps limit my ranges....There are areas here you can literally see the curve of the earth . Even if you could get a reading you probably should not shot ......and even at them distances the antelope seem to be staring right at me......

P.S. In my previous comment I mentioned a 1000 yd. chip shot. I did not include myself in that. I do know people that make first round hits way past what I would even consider , regularly! In all kinds of weather. I only shoot when absolutely confident in a kill shot. As stated before my practice time and general stress levels have not allowed for any kind of distance shooting and I stuck to it.
Just because you can see them and have the equipment to shoot , does not mean you should shoot and that is for each person to decide for them self.....
If I am clueless ,so be it. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion.

Last edited by wyoming260; 11/05/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a target at 1000 being worked over. It was the first time at that range with this new rifle and load. As you can see, there is a group on the plate made with the data spit out by Ballistic AE on the first try. It was a little high and I didn't have the wind perfect either.

I made the necessary adjustment on the scope and of course had a better wind knowledge of what the wind was doing, even though it wasn't consistent. It was coming from 10 or 11 O'clock. During the session, I saw wind holds of 1 full mil and also some zero wind holds.

The far left plate is 8" wide and 10" tall; less than one MOA. With a .264 Win and a newly developed load, I put a first round hit and 3 consecutive shots on that little plate with fresh data from Ballistic AE.

This stuff really isn't that difficult. I took my 63 year old sister out this weekend who has no experience with any firearms whatsoever. She is not an athlete in the least and really is a clutz. She didn't really want to even go shooting.

I set the rifle up and got her behind it on the bench so she could sight on some 100 yard paper. Let her dry fire it a few times then moved to our 760 yard plate. I shot the plate a few times. The wind was really tricky; fishtailing wind from 12:00. I hate that wind either from 6:00 or 12:00. It's by far the toughest wind to read and make hits in. If the direction changes minutely, you miss to one side or the other.

She fired 2 shots that day and can say she's never missed anything with a rifle, even at Long Range

grin

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Vectronix rules from what I've seen.

I have a Terrapin and it's an improvement over Geovids, especially at 1000+, but the 5000$ model Vectronix blows them all away.

A buddy was guiding on a ranch I was hunting for antelope and has the more expensive model. It was really the only range finder that would get readings on animals past 1000. The G7's were basically worthless.

I used the Geovids and the Terrapin to verify if I could get readings. Getting readings with the Geovids was sketchy...

What's a Terrapin cost? Looks like it's been discontinued?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Cows really aid in getting reading in some of the areas I antelope hunt.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
When they were available the Terrapins sold for $2K.

That's a pretty big price difference between swaro's sometimes at $900 and always at $2K. LOL You swaro lovers kill me! laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Just because you can.

This suggest an ability to be successful, implying that you should.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's the most profoundest thing I've heard yet.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
How do you read the wind? Please explain.

I'm sure you're an awesome shot and all. Curious to how many animals you've missed at 600+.

I have a friend or two that know a little about taking a long shot. One's got a nice .284 with a quality scope and vector rangefinder. I've seen him twice take animals past 700m this year. My 13 yr old son rolled behind his rifle and his a volleyball sized rock at 1380m, first shot. But that was after he'd dialed the wind tightly with two shots.

So my question is, how do you "read the wind" with confidence, at 1000? Just curious.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your friend, Pat, is an acquaintance of mine. You may want to ask him

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
My shpeal is:
If we plug in the average wind speed for the USA, 7.4 mph, with the average long range competition rifle, a 308 with 155 palma bullet at 2900 fps, we get some errors:

That setup was purpose built to handicap!

Kinda like dirtying up the aero in NASCAR to slow cars down.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Your friend, Pat, is an acquaintance of mine. You may want to ask him

How would he know how often you miss and how you can read the wind?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm not judging. I've taken risky shots. Do your 1000 yard "chip shots" involve a spotter watching for bullet strikes, due to lack of total confidence on the wind on the first crack?

How many legs have you blown off? Just curious.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

691 members (163dm, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 66 invisible), 3,002 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.