Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
was in cabella's today in their gun room.
ruger alaskan two inch in .454casul
revolver is about as blocky as anything you can imagine.
To me, totally useless.
maybe a boat anchor.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
To me, totally useless.
maybe a boat anchor.

Agreed! Ruger has a new Talo Edition .44 mag with a 2" bbl and custom round butt grips that would be much more user friendly. Especially loaded with .44 specials. JMHO, though.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sweet! And when I read the header I thought you were talking about the AMT Automag II.. laugh

You'd be 'blocky' too if you hadda corral that kind of power.. smile

To me, totally useless.
To others, plenty handy if yer hikin' through griz country, perhaps..

maybe a boat anchor.
Pretty spendy anchor - those revolvers are fetching big bux..

I've run some .45LC rounds through mine (loaded to Ruger-capability specs) and they're manageable.. But put a full-bore .454C in that baby and you BEST be hangin' on with both hands or your going to have to have that front sight blade surgically removed from your forehead.. I think I could have lit a Weber at 20 paces.. laugh laugh

Only revolver I've ever fired that actually HURT... And I was wearing padded shooting gloves.. Yow..

Last edited by Redneck; 11/11/14.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
a sequel to a totally useless pistol thought:
a interarms walther ppk/s. Made by interarms.
Family member inherited one, it broke, brought it over to me.
seems the ejectors are mim parts, and subject to breaking where the originals were forged parts. You replace the ejector with a new one, and expect it sooner or later to break.

Second issue is a real german walther is easy to dissemble as everything is machined properly. The interarms is as rough as a cob.

I was going to fix it, then decided it wasn't worth the effort.
If the owner wants to fix it, good luck.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 11/11/14.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
maybe a boat anchor.

If a guy likes the SRH in general, which I don't, the Alaskan makes a better donor for some conversions because it doesn't have the god-awful scallops for mounting a scope.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by JOG
maybe a boat anchor.

If a guy likes the SRH in general, which I don't, the Alaskan makes a better donor for some conversions because it doesn't have the god-awful scallops for mounting a scope.

Agreed. Bowen's "GP44" conversion comes to mind. Sure he would do the same with the 45/454 chambered gun too. Definitely one that has always had my curiosity.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
seems the ejectors are mim parts, and subject to breaking where the originals were forged parts. You replace the ejector with a new one, and expect it sooner or later to break.

Second issue is a real german walther is easy to dissemble as everything is machined properly. The interarms is as rough as a cob.

The Interarms PPK/S revolver pre-date MIM manufacturing in firearms which didn't start until the early '90's, right about the time Interarms stopped making the PPK/s.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek

The Interarms PPK/S revolver pre-date MIM manufacturing in firearms which didn't start until the early '90's, right about the time Interarms stopped making the PPK/s.

should not have used the word milled, investment cast would be better. Part of a thread on these pile of poop from another forum:
The ejector on the PPK/s looks like a forged milled part, but it is in fact a investment casting. The ejector of the original guns was, of course, forged and milled. In the PPK/s, it looks like they knew about that problem and tried to make up for it by putting a shoulder in the frame to take the strain (the German guns don't have it). But the ejector would have to be carefully fitted to take advantage of that and they aren't. Another reason my PPK/s will remain in the "nice to look at" collection. If I want to carry a Walther, it will be a pre-war .32; they never fail.

Jim

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ron...I think this guy would argue with your assessment of the SRH .454....

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photo.../charging-grizzly-killed-alaska/?image=6

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From the story:

"The bear was moaning, his huge head still moving, as Brush aimed the Ruger to fire a finishing shot. �By then my gun had jammed,� Greg says. �I frantically called my wife on my cell phone and told her to bring a rifle. When she arrived I finished the bear.�

How does one jam a Ruger Super Redhawk revolver? Not a rhetorical question, I'd like to know what happened that prevented him from either reloading or cocking it and firing the last round. I can guess, maybe a bullet backed out from recoil and locked the cylinder, but it's just a guess. I'd really like to know the details of that jam.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
From the story:

"The bear was moaning, his huge head still moving, as Brush aimed the Ruger to fire a finishing shot. �By then my gun had jammed,� Greg says. �I frantically called my wife on my cell phone and told her to bring a rifle. When she arrived I finished the bear.�

How does one jam a Ruger Super Redhawk revolver? Not a rhetorical question, I'd like to know what happened
Easy - an improperly seated (read: 'high') primer on a case two rounds to the left of the one just fired... A high primer can jam up against the frame near the lower-left bevel and stop rotation..

I've run into that before on a few revolvers.. If someone's going to use a revolver in any potential dangerous game situation it's wise to ensure all the ammo on tap is going to function properly..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I want one of the backpacker 480 Ruger guns. But can't see shooting a 454 Casull with that short barrel.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From the story:

How does one jam a Ruger Super Redhawk revolver? Not a rhetorical question, I'd like to know what happened that prevented him from either reloading or cocking it and firing the last round. I can guess, maybe a bullet backed out from recoil and locked the cylinder, but it's just a guess. I'd really like to know the details of that jam.

You are probably correct on the cause of the jam. Insufficient neck tension/crimp is all it takes with that kind of recoil/uber heavy bullets.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
From the story:

Best I can remember is that, the round was a reload. Recoil such as a 454 causes bullet pull often enough. Second one I'm familiar with, just shooting a bear off of them.

When I use my 454 Alaskan I mostly shoot Buffalo Bore 325 grain HC LBT-LFN bullets. Plenty powerful, deeply penetrating and quicker second shot capability. FWIW

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
RoninPhx: I have a friend in Maple Valley, Washington that recently bought a perfectly good Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull caliber and promptly contracted to have a gunsmith cut the barrel down to 3" total length and re-attach the sight!!!
Apparently some of the folks who make 454's put out some 2" or 3" models but they are/were so popular he could not lay hands on one after a couple years of trying!
He fishes in Alaska on streams and rivers fairly often and that pistol and barrel length is what he wanted.
Useless... - if you have an Alaskan Bear rustling in the dense bushes right in front of you (this has happened to me!) then a short barreled canon that is quick to come into action would be a VERY welcome and a VERY useful tool!
Down Arizona way the Bears are probably not as numerous and not so often in close proximity and in such dense cover as those encountered by folks who enjoy the amazing fishing in Alaska and a few other places.
I personally preferred the Winchester SS Mariner sawed off 12 gauge shotgun for Bear protection - but they are a bit slower and more cumbersome (in the way whilst fishin!).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
To me, totally useless.
maybe a boat anchor.
Yep, chambered for a super-powered .45 Colt, and likely doesn't achieve much more than standard .45 Colt velocity due to a short barrel. The owner would likely do just as well with a much lighter, and more compact, 4.5" barrel Ruger Blackhawk chambered in .45 Colt, loaded up with Buffalo Bore.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From the story:

Crimp pull. I've interviewed Greg and this is what apparently happened.

I like the Alaskans. I have one in .480 and it is surprisingly accurate and easy to pack. It's a serious backup piece, and in this role I think it is pretty good.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

i've used the Ruger Alaskan for 6 years now, and really like it--the rig is a great piece of equipment. (in fact, when i saw a Super Redhawk in .44 for the first time, my very first thought was, "i'd sure like one with a barrel no longer than the length of the frame....")

however, i do shoot mine with 300 grain "mid-loads" most of the time, as the full power loads that i fire in the FA revolver--while i find it easy to fire 50 rounds in a row in the FA revolver--are simply too uncomfortable to fire on a regular basis in the Alaskan...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You sir are completely mistaken. A friend has one and it is the best thing since sliced bread for creating daytime fireballs. Also invokes smiles and chuckles quite easily.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
it may be apples to oranges, but per a recent pearce article, i can run a 300grain plus bullet to 1500fps out of a redhawk, that i like a lot better than those clunky alaskan's.
We don't have grizz's, yet in arizona, wait a while for reintroduction. But i have had two personal up front and personal situations with black bear(20 feet or less) and that is where big bore handguns and a marlin guide gun got my attention.
That redhawk is .45colt

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.