24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have used my swaro to range antelope at 1122 yards.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Your friend, Pat, is an acquaintance of mine. You may want to ask him

How would he know how often you miss and how you can read the wind?

He's seen me shoot and is aware of how I stack up against some of the best in the Country in open competition. That pretty much sums up how often I miss and the quality of my wind reading skills. The other great thing is that it has been documented for anyone who wants to know.

Never have blown a leg off.

Why do you have such a hard on?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, I don't have a hard-on for long-range shooters, I respect the work that goes into it. And I agree with everything that's been said about slobs being slobs regardless of the range they shoot at, and about more game being wounded at 200 yards and under than long range.

Long-range shooters practice more and good ones can hit at long range much more consistently than your average hunter can hit at short or moderate ranges. And sometimes no matter what the range, stuff happens. I knew a very accomplished old-timer who used to say "if you haven't missed, you either haven't hunted a lot or you're not trying hard enough." And I never knew him to miss. He wasn't careless or unethical, just truthful.

But I'm still skeptical of the 1,000 yard chip shot, granted I'm talking hunting animals in the field, not steel at the range. And maybe it boils down to what you mean by "chip shot," to me, it means pretty much a sure thing.

There have been two threads on this forum this season by good long range shooters who had first shot misses at around 1,000 yards, one due to the wind read and one due to the animal moving after it was ranged. I'm not being critical, just making an observation.

If either shot had been at 300, then the wind and range wouldn't have mattered, and they would have been true chip shots.

That would seem to take 1,000 yard shots out of the chip shot realm.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In zero wind it is a chipshot.....

I'll say it again. For anyone who has verified drop data for his load, the above is true.

See, wind is THE thing in long range shooting. It's variable. Drop data changes with atmosphere, which is known at your location. If you aren't accounting for atmospheric changes and the resulting drop data, well...

Let's go as far as to say the 1000 yard shot is in a "tunnel"

How much easier could it get?

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
When was the last time you hunted in a tunnel?

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You can't make an amazing shot, if you don't take an amazing shot.

If there's lead in the air, there's hope.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not to hijack this thread, but where are the big mule deer picks GH?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I did shoot a mule deer last week. I don't shoot steel. I did take 2 shots with this rifle this fall - one to check the zero, the other to take the buck.
[Linked Image]

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks.....Very nice....

Congrats.

Back to the regularly scheduled program.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
I did shoot a mule deer last week. I don't shoot steel. I did take 2 shots with this rifle this fall - one to check the zero, the other to take the buck.
[Linked Image]

Sounds like you're shooting way too much grin

Hell of a deer!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like you're shooting way too much grin

I was thinking the same thing.

If I shot that much I would have complete confidence in my scope. But as it is I fired enough rounds to discover the turret or the load is not dependable.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In zero wind it is a chipshot.....

I'll say it again. For anyone who has verified drop data for his load, the above is true.

See, wind is THE thing in long range shooting......

Actually, wind was only one of THE things that caused the misses at 1000 yards I referred to earlier, but carry on.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
This thread reminds me of a Pigman show I watched. He picked up a big 30 cal based on the 500 Jeffery shooting 208's on the way out to an antelope hunt. I don't think he'd even fired the gun once before trying to take a 900+ yd shot at a middling buck in what looked to be gale force crosswinds. He hit the dirt about a truck-length downwind on the shot. It was pathetic. And everything that can be wrong with the LR game.

These Cally guys, I can't figure out WTF they were doing taking shots in 20+ winds, regardless of the gun or shooter ability. I couldn't do it, and wouldn't dare try. The 500+yd shots I see have air moving in at least two distinct directions because of ridgelines, etc.

I think the wind call is the thing, once load development and zeroing are done, and the trajectory is solved. I can't read wind for [bleep], I'll admit it. I pass on more shots than I take because of that. Some of you guys know your stuff, and can make sense of what the wind does. Do any of you take long shots at animals in 20mph+ winds?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
This thread reminds me of a Pigman show I watched. He picked up a big 30 cal based on the 500 Jeffery shooting 208's on the way out to an antelope hunt. I don't think he'd even fired the gun once before trying to take a 900+ yd shot at a middling buck in what looked to be gale force crosswinds. He hit the dirt about a truck-length downwind on the shot. It was pathetic. And everything that can be wrong with the LR game.

These Cally guys, I can't figure out WTF they were doing taking shots in 20+ winds, regardless of the gun or shooter ability. I couldn't do it, and wouldn't dare try. The 500+yd shots I see have air moving in at least two distinct directions because of ridgelines, etc.

I think the wind call is the thing, once load development and zeroing are done, and the trajectory is solved. I can't read wind for [bleep], I'll admit it. I pass on more shots than I take because of that. Some of you guys know your stuff, and can make sense of what the wind does. Do any of you take long shots at animals in 20mph+ winds?
I am with you, here the wind goes in about three different directions in 500 yds. I spent the whole antelope season trying to figure out how to get to a certain group of goats because of wind... There was not a way to figure out a wind drop because it would switch about every 20 seconds. I waited til a 200 yd. shot presented itself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have shooting buddies who, this year, have killed antelope in 30mph wind at around 1000. One killed a buck at 1503. I don't know the wind situation on that one.

Buddy just texted me a 5 shot group on 1485 yard steel in 12 mph wind that required 3.25 MILS of hold that would fit in the palm of your hand

Phuggging amazing.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I have shooting buddies who, this year, have killed antelope in 30mph wind at around 1000. One killed a buck at 1503. I don't know the wind situation on that one.

Buddy just texted me a 5 shot group on 1485 yard steel in 12 mph wind that required 3.25 MILS of hold that would fit in the palm of your hand

Phuggging amazing.
That's [bleep] insane! Some guys know their schitt, and have the magic!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
185 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 26 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.