Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here in NE Wa. there was a research project on the reservation. This amazing footage is worth watching.

Then think about how your handgun in a holster under your jacket is going to help you.

http://www.americanhunter.org/mobile/blog.php?id=32107&cid=11594

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow! Fabulous footage. That cougar attacked head on. The kills I have tracked in snow have come from behind or the side, which would give a man even less time to see and react.

If cougars wanted to prey on humans, we'd be in trouble, armed or not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My serious woods bumming rig is a Glock G20 10mm stoked with fifteen Underwood 200 gr. XTP @ 1,250 fps packed in a Diamond D Guides Choice chest holster. That holster can be slipped on/off easily and quickly adjust to whatever outer wear is worn. The gun is flat and unobtrusive, tough and I don't worry about brush scratches, ect. and worn in the chest rig it is always right there out front regardless of my outer wear or pack straps.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was charged from behind and knocked down by a 205lb male black bear in the 80's.

He stood on my back with the wind knocked out of me and bit the back of my head and right shoulder several times. Each time I reached along my side to get my .44 mag out of the hip holster he bit my arm and shoulder again. I could not breath as many of you know having the wind knocked out of you can relate to.

He walked off and left me, moments after this. I knew of this bear from my research work and management. I brought in a manager of the local fish Hatchery that worked for Wa. F&G to shoot the bear a few days later. This bear was not running off, just standing his ground woofing and clicking his teeth.

It's how I know the exact weight, age, and gender. If a clumsy little black bear could immobilize me completely that quickly, I can only imagine that a lion doing the same thing would be over very quick!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow. Simply wow.

Even at 1/4 speed, you'd have no chance.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Hard to believe how fast they are,even seeing it like that. Being Canadian, we are not be be trusted with sidearms, so I bowhunt grizz/lion country with bear spray and sometimes a short shotgun. When walking out in the dark I wear a headlight and carry the shotgun in hand, if I have it. Still, if something moving like that comes at me, I have few illusions about coming out of that unscathed.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Holly chit batman, seen some realy big cats before. In the dark your cat food. Never try to think of whats out there when walking out or back in the night.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, that was amazing. I carry a S&W 637 Airweight .38 spl - while it's not a stopper, it makes a loud bang and big flash. Makes walking out in the dark or backpack camping a little easier on the imagination. One trip out carrying an elk in the dark by myself un-armed was enough for me. A moo cow busted out of the willows along the creek beside me and only my underwear knows how spooked I was!

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couldn't get the video to come up in Firefox at the OP link....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm not gonna lie fellas, I don't know if I'd enjoy hunting as much if I had to worry about large cats or bears like a lot of you do. I have neither and I still am skittish walking to my stands in the dark. I've been approached by several horny whitetail bucks over the years in the dark and that alone had me wondering if they were going to run me over or not. These animals are wild and that means they are exactly that ....... "WILD"! Be safe out there guys so you can all go home to your loved ones. Have a plan and be ready to execute it.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
IC B3

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
The bears and cats have left me alone so far, the only animals that have been a bit of a nuisance are moose. Had one come to check me out one night while tracking a wounded deer, another one came to get a better look at me while walking out at dark. First one finally left after I made enough noise banging sticks on tree's, the other one left as I got close to my truck. I had no weapons in the first instance, and only my bow the second time. I wasn't too concerned but they are big enough to make you pay attention when they get close!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have black bears and the rare mountain lion in my hunting area. I've only seen a bear once and that one responded to a raspy jackrabbit call while I was coyote hunting. What I have and see the most of is wild hogs. Hogs aren't uncommon at all in some of my hunting country and bumping a 300 pound boar or stumbling into a sow with piglets at night on a narrow trail winding through a clear cut with a climbing treestand and hunting pack on your back is a little unnerving.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From the wet snowy looking hair on the deer I'd guess that wasn't the first blow delivered. Can't be sure, but likely it was the last of several rushes.

I love the ears back frame they caught... all business!

- - Steve
Rainshadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
www.rain-shadow.com

Mountain Lion Calling products, instruction, & stories!

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 280shooter, 24 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,176
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.