Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Kevin_T Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
After every season, it seems it is time to re-evaluate and improve on ones kit. I have to admit, mine worked out pretty well this year, at least by seasons end. A few minor improvements I will likely make

- Just use a dedicated gravity water system , and maybe augment it with tablets. I have been making a sawyer based system , but by the time I weighed the complete system it was more than my platy , slower and more fussy. If water is good, I'll probably take the platy and call it good

- I'd still like to improve my sleeping pad situation. It's not that I have bad pads, because I love my Down Mat, and I like my combo prolite torso and CCF. The problem is the combo is not good if you are situated on bunch grass, and while the down mat is fine, it's not easy to pull a way from camp for possible bivy. I don't know if the ideal set up exists for me,

- Clothing, I could do a better job of re-applying DWR before hand, and will probably carry a poncho tarp like item with some built on orange panels for really crappy wet weather.

- I may re-eval BiPod / Tripod type of stuff, or I might not.

- Food ..as always. I'm not a big mountain house type of person. I generally subsist on nuts , jerky and some bars. After a few weeks of being mostly in the field , I could not take any more bars. Some more substantial type of food would have been welcome.

The rest of my kit worked pretty well.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shelter system - your LBO set is on the "need to get" list.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Will probably do the Stone Glacier 7400 before next year, just to see what the fuss is all about. Like the idea of more capacity and easier access, but can't quite come to terms with letting my Terminus go.

I need to work out my "unplanned overnight" gear a bit, or just start planning to spend the night.

Might take the plunge on high-tech rain gear, or at least a jacket for next year.

I feel like our gear has been pretty well dialed in the last couple years. Heavier than lots of folks, but I think the weight is spent in the right places.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will have to replace my rain jacket before next year. Will likely get another Marmot Precip, plus maybe another lighter one for backpacking.

I'm evaluating sleeping pads as well. I'd really really like to be one of those people who can get a good nights sleep on a CCF pad only. Maybe one of these would help? http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/accessories/lunapad.htm

My gear worked pretty well. Water, I'm undecided. I like the sawyer filter bottle for ease of use, but I need to carry a lot of water. Maybe straight tabs?

Boots - I need a pair. Love my trail runners, but for wet cold muddy weather (right now) they're not that great. I want a set of La Sportiva Boulder X Mids for hiking / active duty, plus a set of the old bunny boots for treestanding in cold weather.

I also "need" a 22 mag bolt gun for predator hunting. Thinking about a stainless Ruger 77/22 if I can trade into one reasonably.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I scrapped the poncho tarp this year. Hunted one day in light rain/sleet/snow. The original idea was that it would cover me, my pack, and serve as an emergency shelter. The reality is I've carried it for no other reason than raingear and that it stinks as raingear. Just hate a poncho.
So I purchased a lightweight Cabelas rain shell and I'll carry it. I don't spend a great deal of time in the backcountry anyway. My raingear is more for the occasional times I may need it.
I really need a new and lighter weight bag. That may be my big gear upgrade this year. Last year it was a Paradox pack, which has worked well BTW.

Other than that, I'm fairly content.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B2

K
Kevin_T Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by RockChucker30
I will have to replace my rain jacket before next year. Will likely get another Marmot Precip, plus maybe another lighter one for backpacking.

I'm evaluating sleeping pads as well. I'd really really like to be one of those people who can get a good nights sleep on a CCF pad only. Maybe one of these would help? http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/accessories/lunapad.htm

My gear worked pretty well. Water, I'm undecided. I like the sawyer filter bottle for ease of use, but I need to carry a lot of water. Maybe straight tabs?

Boots - I need a pair. Love my trail runners, but for wet cold muddy weather (right now) they're not that great. I want a set of La Sportiva Boulder X Mids for hiking / active duty, plus a set of the old bunny boots for treestanding in cold weather.

I also "need" a 22 mag bolt gun for predator hunting. Thinking about a stainless Ruger 77/22 if I can trade into one reasonably.

I sleep well on a CCF / Prolite small combo unless it is alpine bunch grass (which is frequent). I could get you a custom EVA mat if you desire smile

The La Sportiva are a nice balance of minimalism and function. Certainly not the comfort of some boots but they work pretty well and are good for climbing etc since they are essentially a waterproof approach mid.

I try to keep weight on the feet a minimum, but sometimes it doesn't matter after a bunch of mud collects. I hunted one day in Kenetreks where there were a lot of cactus, and it was muddy, and at one point I looked like a member of the KISS army. Each boot must have weighed 7 lbs and a trail runner would have weighed just as much, except I would have had a bunch of holes from cactus in my feet.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, cactus are why I really prefer an all leather boot.

The one thing I would like to improve is my normal outerwear. I currently use Cabelas Microtex, which works fine and did better this year after I hit 'em pretty agressively with some DWR spray. However, I'd like something with a bit more weather/wind resistance. I'm thinking one of the new soft shells might fit my needs, but not sure.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Kevin,

I'm no expert but I have used an MSR gravity filter for about three years now and wouldn't use any other system. If I think the water is going to be real funky I bring some tablets but I have yet to use them.

FWIW to you.

As far as gear improvements I need to replace my tried and true Keens as my go to shoe. The quality just isn't what it was and they come unglued before hunting season even starts. Fuggin' lame.

Everything else I'm happy with right now. Especially since I switched to the BA sleep setup with their big ass Q Core. Heavy, but I don't give a schit.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
At some point I need to address that the Big Agnes sleep system of pad into pad sleeve no longer works for me. I loved the concept, but I'm too much of a side sleeper. Taking the pad out of the bag and side sleeping leaves me cold - no insulation on bottom side of bag.

I'll need to go mummy/semi-mummy and a good pad. The Lost Ranger/Insulated Air Core was a good combo and has served me well for many years. But as temps near the 20 degree mark, I get cold. And that is sleeping in base layers, socks and beanie.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm a side sleeper too. Square bag. Square pad.

Like I said, heavy. But I don't give a schit. Sleep is important.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The BA -20 degree Park bag and a Q-Core gave me the best sleep I have had in years this deer and elk season.

The pads are spendy but I am after one for my base camp bag now.
I believe I paid more for the mattress than I did for the bag originally.

Kind of likespending enough on a scope to get the rifle to perform its best.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This year, I replaced my 2-man tarp tent with a SO 6-man tipi and large stove. It worked REALLY well on this year's CO 2nd rifle season elk hunt�.Thanks Kevin for your help with the purchase! This combo helped me and a hunting buddy to cook, sleep and stay warm for the better part of a week in the backcountry. Best purchase I've made in a long time.

With regard to water purification, I'm keeping my MSR Mini-works water filter. I can't see fixing something this isn't broke.

My sleep system also continues to work well. It consists of a Therm-a-Rest LuxuryLite cot and a Mountain Hardware 0 degree Phantom bag. As a whole, my kit is probably too heavy for backpack hunting but, 3 of the past 4 years, we have used horses. Just too old for a pure backpack hunt. I'm in good shape and I tried it 2 years ago and it kicked my butt.

With regard to clothing, this year, I've come full circle and have gone back to using wool pants and a military style wool sweater with a Gore-Tex Pro shell jacket. I think I'm done with the synthetic stuff, except for the jacket. I'm staying with my Kenetrek boots as well.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
I'm a side sleeper too. Square bag. Square pad.

Like I said, heavy. But I don't give a schit. Sleep is important.

Travis
Yep. I used my wife's bag for a trip this year. It's a regular and mine is a long. The long is also girthier in the shoulders making it easy to sleep on your side. If one is near the size limit of the bag, go up. I know I could tell the difference. IMO, the BA system is best for side and/or restless sleepers.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I cannot do the regular size bags. I'm 6' and 220.

Travis

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm pretty happy with most of my stuff. There are two things I want to do.

For the most part my backpack "hunting" is late summer scouting and one late summer hunt I sometimes can get a tag for. It can be pretty buggy so one of the things I want to improve is my bug gear.

I should have enough preference points to draw a mid november muzzleloader elk tag. If I can find a just-right packable tent I might try that as a backpack hunt. Our wet near-coast snow is really heavy. It can run as high as 3-4 inches of water per foot of snow compared to the 1:10 ratio found farther inland. Tents that work in light fluffy snow fail in a specially epic sort of way.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Travis
Me either. I'm 5'10" and 290# of pure manliness. I was sorta like a taquito in the regular bag.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bigger bag for my MR Nice frame for 5+ day hunts, better filter system and a merino wool base layer.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Travis

I went to the 10deg EE Revelation quilt, LxW, coupled with an exped Downmat 7UL LW.
under 4lbs all up, and comfy as home. Worked well with layering down to the teens, all zipped up , and unzipped sprawled out with my legs out at 50deg.
Best upgrade ever to a good nights sleep.
With bourbon a close second.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Favorite sleeping pad I've used is the REI Flash. 3" thick insulated inflatable, weighs 16 oz, packs smaller than a water bottle for $100. I'm a side sleeper and don't have any trouble with it and a mummy bag, I just roll the whole bag sideways with me. 3.2 R value may not be enough for really cold temps, but it's higher than CCF.

For water I use a Katadyn Mybottle purifier along with a Platypus hydration system and a spare platypus bladder for dirty water. The hydration pack is refilled with safe water when available, the dirty bladder is used to fill the Mybottle in the backcountry and boil for cooking. Probably a better system out there but it works well for me.

I do the same with nuts/jerky for a 2-3 day trip but it gets old after that. Summer sausage and cheese and the 90 second jambalaya rice pouches are great. I try to keep it over 100 calories per ounce but could use more ideas.

I currently use an alcohol stove but could use something better for group cooking, it's a pain for each person to have to carry all of their individual food and cook separately. It would be a lot nicer to have a stove large enough to take turns cooking and still be lightweight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My kit sucks. It all works too well to abandon, or rather well enough that I don't feel I will be abandoned. There isn't anything else positive I can say however. I look back in my mentality while putting all this stuff together and realize that it was all tempered by healthy dose of the attitude that safety defines functionality. I can safely spend the night out over and over again in single digits on a thermarest in my 20degree down bag under a unsuspended poncho. Good enough!!! I can safely eschew raingear as long as I sleep in my wet clothes every night so they dry. Good enough. And since all my clothes are heavy- it's important to keep that one set I'm wearing "serviceable" because I doubt ill carry any extra. So again- serviceability drives the bus while comfort stands in the station wondering why he can't ever seem to get there intone to catch the bus. I eat like the op- but add hot drinks, ie tea coffee bullion even just hot water. I use a whisper light though because there is nothing less functional than canisters in the cold at any altitude above 1500'

Anyway. I have placed too much premium on durability- feeling a piece of kit should be able to endure the same level of abuse and hardship that I am. This has lead to myself and my kit needlessly enduring alot of hardship.

On a recent NON-backpacking 1 week steelhead fishing trip with nights in the low teens I brought my "backpacking" kit while my buddy brought a kingdome8 and a cot and a posh pad etc. he was like- dude- we have a Crew cab longbed f350, why didn't you bring something to sleep on"

"Exactly- we've got the truck. If its that bad- I have a contingency plan"

Freaking cold trip. 2 nights it was cold enough i let my lab sleep in his truck.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
828 members (10gaugemag, 12308300, 1234, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 85 invisible), 3,251 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,195
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.