Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
ABLE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I know they are popular but I would like:
1) scope recommendations for less then 200 yards in timber and open fields.
2)Also I would like a scope with BDC lines showing POI NOT dial in with TOP turret.
3)I just bought one in 30-06 and plan to load 180 and 200 partitions any load suggestions.

I really don't want to hear comparisons on why I should have bought a lever or bolt or semiauto gun. Cause those comments will just be ignored.

Pictures and actual experience tell a lot.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
ABLE

I see four more years of economic stagnation and high unemployment if Obama is reelected. He lies every time he opens his mouth. "The GREAT DECEIVER"! Scary prospect.Worst president EVER.
UPS HAS ROTTEN CUSTOMER SERVICE, THIS I HAVE EXPERIENCED

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I shoot a 760 with a Zeiss 1.5-6x42 on top of it. I run Barnes 130 grain TTSXs over 53.5 grains of Varget, If it's inside 300 yards and I want it dead, that setup does it as well as anything I've ever shot, and better than most. Kills just the same at a few feet as it does out there a ways. With a load like that there's no reason on earth to have to fiddle with a scope or BDC lines inside 300. In my experience they penetrate better than any 180s out of an '06. Kill better too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Able,
Are you saying all your shots are under 200 (including fieldwork) or just in the timber.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a 7600 but it's ancestor, A 760 in .270 that I inherited from my Dad.

It has a Bushnell Scope Chief 2.5-8 scope on it which I've found to be a good choice for everything from a 30 yard shot to longer shots in the hay field. I've always been impressed with the Remington pump rifles and this one has sure stood the test of time and killed half a metric buttload of game and varmints.

I'm a lever gun fan but I usually hunt with Dad's rifle a couple of times a year just because it was his. This thread got me thinking about it so I think I'll take it with me this evening.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Low power variable. 1.5-5 or 2-7 will do I all. The newer Nikons are great, as well as mid range Leupolds.

Around here the are nicknamed the Amish Machine guns

IC B2

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My7600 (06 carbine) wears a Vari X III 2.5x8
My son's 270 has a VXII 2x7

I like the 2x7 better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2x7 nikon with bdc

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
My favorite rifles. I currently have 5.
1) .30-06 Carbine, Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5x
2) .30-06 Rifle, Redfield Revolution 2-7x
3) .358 Win 20", Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5x
4) .280 Remington Rifle, Leupold VX III 1.5-5x
5) .270 Winchester Rifle, Leupold VX II 2-7x

Yes, I know, a lot of overlap. But I could be spending my money on worse things and will hand a couple down to my sons in a few years.

My favorite is my 06' Carbine with the 1.5-5. Quick handling/pointing and very fast with follow up shots in our dense Northeastern woods when tracking or on the move. My shots for the style of hunting I do are under 100 yds. I shoot 180 RN out of the carbine. You should not need BDC lines for less than 200 yards.

Dave

Last edited by greenmtndave; 11/13/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ABLE
I really don't want to hear comparisons on why I should have bought a lever or bolt or semiauto gun. Cause those comments will just be ignored.

How about just a way better/cooler pump?

[Linked Image]

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 accu range on my old beat up 77,and love it .It would be good for your application I think ..I think that either IMR,or H 4350 is good all around powder for the long action stuff,and it's always easy to find...I just got a good deal on a model six in 270 a few days back,and it has a Redfield widefield 3-9 on it.It has see thru mounts which I aint a fan of,but I don't think I would mind them on a 06 loaded as heavy as you intend especially if they were already there.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Try this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400760318258?lpid=82

Be sure to use see through mounts/rings!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

How about just a way better/cooler pump?

[Linked Image]

Now that is cool and classic. .35 Remington?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a 7600 7mm-08. Use a barrel band type front sling swivel so you don't put too much strain on the forend like the swivel mounts that replace the forend screw. I've got a Warne one pice base and Burris signature rings on mine. If you are going to use lens covers like the Butler Creek flip ups a longer scope makes it easier to get to the front cover. 200 yards and less? Find a used Zeiss 4x and call it good! YMMV

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
A
ABLE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Many thanks to all the responders. I really appreciate all the suggestions. Please keep the experiences coming.

I originally bought this rifle with the intent for quick off hand shots like when that big 10 pt jumps up in the middle of thick cover and start running though Short pines. It seems to happen to me at least 3x a year. I don't believe in opening fire and spraying lead but I would like to hopefully nail one. I have long range bolt guns for the right applications and a 30/30 for light carry; I just want this for the moment. How accurate are these rifles?

Maybe more then 200 yards in open timber is possible 300 yds achievable???

I see four more years of economic stagnation and high unemployment if Obama is reelected. He lies every time he opens his mouth. "The GREAT DECEIVER"! Scary prospect.Worst president EVER.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a M760 in 30-06 and love it. My scope is more than needed for my hunting in WV (Leupold 2.5-8X). I could easily get by with a straight 4x but....the scope is already there. If you don't anticipate shooting farther than 200 yards then I think a drop compensating reticle only complicates things, just my thoughts. You could zero 1" high at 100 yards and be plenty good from zero to 175 yards or so without thought of holdover. Even at 200 yards, you'd likely never see the 2" or so low impact on game. The pointing/handling capabilities of a pump rifle are only noticed by those of us that hunt with them. I'd go with a straight 4x or a 2-7x variable and mount as low as I could. You have a great deer hunting firearm, just picking the scope that suits you is probably a tougher issue.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
How accurate are these rifles?

They are as accurate as most middle of the road bolt actions, like the Remington 700, Savage 110, etc.

Just because the action cycles faster than a bolt gun, doesn't mean it's limited to short range and low-power optics.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Able,
For a "jump 'em and shoot 'em" gun, it doesn't get much better than a pump.

The last thing I'd consider for such an application is clutter in the scope.
No lines, to spinners - just a simple crosshair.

300 yards is easily achieved with a 4x or 1.5x5 scope but if you want more magnification, I'd consider a 2x7ish.

And, yes, the 7600's are quite accurate. This one was taken from the tree line in the background with a 1.5x5 - right around the "possible" distance you're inquiring about.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The half dozen or so I've had all shot inch or better. The last time I put the '06 on paper it put 3 each at 51.5 grains Varget, 52.5 grains Varget and 53.5 grains Varget and 130 grain Barns TTSXs all into the same inch.

300 yards is no problem with them.

Don't skimp on the glass. They're well worth good glass.

Last edited by MILES58; 11/14/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think Remington gets a well deserved bad rap of today. That being said I think their older guns were very good guns. I never have cared for semi-autos of ANY brand, but we used to call the 740's etc. Jamingtons. Their pumps and bolts are a whole nother story. They rank right up there with the best. JMHO.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The triggers can be poor. I replace my trigger with a Timmney kit for a 870 pump and it made it both adjustable for lb. letoff using one of the 3 springs in the kit and really crisp.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've never owned a 760/7600, but have hunted with several that do, and they love them. Good choice.

Scope: Is a 4x fixed power Leupold scope with plex reticle ever a mistake on non-dangerous big game at any responsible shooting distance? Nope. That's what my FN Mauser 98 JC Higgins model 50 30-06 wears.

Your hunting range is to 200 yards? Sight 1-2" high at 100 yards, and hold dead on at any distance to 200 yards. It doesn't get any simpler than that for a sighting device. They go for $150 used on ebay. Leupold has a lifetime warranty. No brainer. Not sure if Leopold has the reticle you are describing, but to 200 yards, it's not needed.

Load: Tough to beat IMR 4350 for a 30-06 bullet weight from 165-200+ grains.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Is there any difference in barrel diameter or barrel attachment between the 760, 7600 or model 6?

I ask because I've been kicking around reboring a -06 to a 12 or 14 twist 35 Whelen and JES reboring (who's a few hours away) only lists the 760, not the 7600 or model 6.

His site doesn't list an Email address or I'd ask him directly.

A co-worker is flying to the Gettysburg Penn area to deer hunt with his family next week. I told him to be on the lookout for a good -06 Rem pump while he's back there. Seems he'd never heard the Amish Machine Gun nickname before, I'll bet his brother has, this might give them a couple laughs.

Any preferences between the older or newer versions? I like the theoretical accuracy advantage of the 7600's telescoping pump over the barrel mounted 760's pump. Anything else to differentiate between them?

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I traded into a 7600 30-06 this spring and don't have a lot in it. It's of the vintage that has a high gloss finish and hasn't seen much use. I sighted the irons in with some handloads featuring 165 gr Corelokts and IMR 4350, shoots fine. Next I put a 1 piece Weaver base and rings on it. Took a old Weaver K-4 series 60-B 4x scope and mounted that. Sighted in for 1.5" hi at 100yds. I also added a barrel band sling swivel kit to it using an old 1" sling off a 700 BDL. Took it hunting 5 times so far and have not shot anything yet, I dunno it comes up like a well fit shotgun but carries like a club. Hey you asked. Magnum Man

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I quite like the Remington pumps and have a model Six in 6mm Rem (Bushnell Scopechief 2.5-8x), a 7600 in .35 Whelen (Burris 1.5-6x) and a 7600 Carbine (synthetic) in .35 Rem (Weaver 1-3x).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a 760 in 270 for a little while with a Viper 2-7x BDC.

[Linked Image]

A
ABLE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
4th point,
How do you like the viper 2-7 scope for low light twlight time of day?? Do you know of a web site I can see the cross hairs of the BDC??? I am leaning for less clutter So this is important to me.

Thanks
ABLE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Viper 2-7x was decent in low light, but not as good as a Leupo 6x42. That scope was discontinued a few years ago but still seems to have a following.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mine is a 1958 model 760 in 35 Rem with a Leupold 2-7x33 Ultimate Slam on it. This will be my first season with it but so far it's very accurate, quick handling and just cool as can be. There is a 30/06 at the local fun store that may wander in here if it's not careful.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigfoot
Is there any difference in barrel diameter or barrel attachment between the 760, 7600 or model 6?

I ask because I've been kicking around reboring a -06 to a 12 or 14 twist 35 Whelen and JES reboring (who's a few hours away) only lists the 760, not the 7600 or model 6.

His site doesn't list an Email address or I'd ask him directly.

A co-worker is flying to the Gettysburg Penn area to deer hunt with his family next week. I told him to be on the lookout for a good -06 Rem pump while he's back there. Seems he'd never heard the Amish Machine Gun nickname before, I'll bet his brother has, this might give them a couple laughs.

Any preferences between the older or newer versions? I like the theoretical accuracy advantage of the 7600's telescoping pump over the barrel mounted 760's pump. Anything else to differentiate between them?

Have your friend check out Redding Hardware in GBurg and take a run over to Sell's in Hanover.

I hunted a farm on Red Rock Road for years and it was a real meat- packing plant. Marsh Creek ran right through the middle. My friend's place was used for some of the shots in the Gettysburg film they made a while back, including the opening scene where the Rebel scout fords the stream. That ford is the same place we used to cross in warm weather.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The early 760s with the tube the forearm slides on all the way through are better for using the sling swivel that attaches to the end IMO. You can put some stress on the telescoping type mounting the sling swivel on the end of them. The main difference between the 760 and 7600 is the 760s have multiple bolt locking lugs like a Weatherby and the 7600s have 3 lugs. I don't know what year Remington's quality started slipping but the early 7600s are regarded as better than the new ones. 760 quality seems the same throughout production. I may be wrong but IIRC the carbine barrels are a bit heavier (thicker).

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I like the theoretical accuracy advantage of the 7600's telescoping pump over the barrel mounted 760's pump.

The 760 pump mechanism is not barrel mounted, it attaches to the receiver same as the 7600. In a 760, the piece at the end of the pump tube that contacts the barrel can be removed, making the barrel free-floated.

4th point's picture shows a 760 with that piece removed.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I burned up some bandwidth last night researching and the 60s and 70s 760 won out.

Thanks.

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, I started to file the "brush guard" to better float the barrel but decided to pitch it instead.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've had this .30-06 7600 for awhile. It's on it's 2nd barrel and buttstock. Remington cleaned up the trigger (4 lbs with a nice roll-off) and reversed the safety (I'm a lefty). It wears a 4X Lyman. Out of 9 .30-06s, it's my sentimental favorite. It's currently zeroed for Fed factory 165 GameKings.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 11/19/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
a full 50% of the guns that were at our sighting in days at the rifle club i worked at are pump guns. Had one old codger come in with a 760 with an old tasco pronghorn jap made 2x7 He should a 3/4" group with that rifle at 100yards with 1 core lokt, 1 federal, and one winchester round, i chit you not, i couldnt believe it.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
for you rem pump guys, I have a Lyman aperture receiver site that is like new. it is blued steel and not aluminum. if anyone that shoots open sites would like to have a peep site set up shoot me a message and we'll see if we can't help one another out. it's just sitting here as I was going to use it as a display piece but it is too nice condition wise.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by SKane
Able,
For a "jump 'em and shoot 'em" gun, it doesn't get much better than a pump.

The last thing I'd consider for such an application is clutter in the scope.
No lines, to spinners - just a simple crosshair.

300 yards is easily achieved with a 4x or 1.5x5 scope but if you want more magnification, I'd consider a 2x7ish.

And, yes, the 7600's are quite accurate.

[Linked Image]
I think SKane hits the nail right on the head, on all counts.

Lower gun is a 1979 vintage Remington 760 30-06 carbine with the same year Leupold VariX III 1.5X5 variable.
Upper gun is a 7400 in .308 with a Denver Redfield Widefield 2X7.

I've hunted the 760 carbine since 1979, the 7400 not quite as long. Hunting in the east, in thick cover, these guns were designed to do what SKane said and they do it well with low powered scopes without any clutter in them. In all these years, I've never moved the power setting of either gun from the lowest setting in an actual hunting situation, and in certain situations would probably have been hindered with a 3X9 variable when deer were real close and moving out fast and my lowest option would have been 3 power.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i never met a remington pump i didn't like

rem model 14r carbine in 30 rem

[Linked Image]

back seat of a 760 carbine in 30/06 last day of deer last season

[Linked Image]

personal favorite. 7600 factory carbine in 35 whelen. this one has a match trigger job and shoots tiny little groups.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
heres a 14R carbine in 35 rem that i'll be using in a couple of weeks for deer. it is without a doubt the handiest gun i own.

[Linked Image]

My diploma is a DD214
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've been kicking around reboring a -06 to a 12 or 14 twist 35 Whelen and JES reboring (who's a few hours away) only lists the 760, not the 7600 or model 6.

Bigfoot,

Before going to a rebore, just be aware that the 760 has been made in .35 Whelen. So, it might be less expensive to watch for a used one. Or, Grice Gun Shop, a major LGS/Wholesaler in PA, occasionally has special runs of new 7600s in .35 Whelen. ( https://www.gricegunshop.com/ )

Last edited by msquared; 11/19/14.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
the 760 was never made in whelen. but the 7600 was.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rem141r said it for me. "I've never met a rem pump that I didn't like"
But I do like this one a little better than all others.
[Linked Image]

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
What stock is on that gun?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
They have FANTASTIC triggers!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by whelenndealin
What stock is on that gun?

B&C. It looks good but I'm not impressed with the hydro dip camo or the soft touch coating. If I had to do it over again I'd go with the textured paint. If your going to hunt it hard the camo and soft touch coating will never hold up.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
A
ABLE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Very nice collection of fine pump guns. I am sure learning alot.
Keep the info coming. Pictures are always welcome.

Thanks
ABLE

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
A
ABLE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
NICE DMc. Simple and nice. Tell me more about scope rings and bases you used? How does your rifle shoot?? What caliber??
ABLE

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I got on to the 7600's in 2003 largely because of the exploits of the Benoits.

Grices was doing many of the special runs at that time. I called for a Whelen but the were out so the sales guy talked me into a 35 Rem carbine. Best thing that ever happened to me.

A few weeks later he called back and said that a Whelen became available. The second best thing that happened to me.

The 35 carbine has a 2x7 Nikon pro staff with O/U mounts. I know the are hated but it just seems so right and allows your thumb under the scope to grip the ballance point perfect.

It is my go to gun and has accounted for 5 bucks and two does all under 50 yards using Remington factory 200 grain ammo. More later.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As soon as I find the battery charger for my only digital camera, I will post up a photo or two of my new to me Model 7600 with Burris 30mm tube 1.5-6x scope. All metal cerrakoted matte black and the same B&C stock that Les has above on his remington pump. Mine was a 30/06 but was re bored to 35 Whelen.

My only time at the range with it I was totally and pleasantly surprised at how well it shot. I had always wanted a 35 Whelen and now I have a great example. Just have to get well enough to hunt with it, hopefully in 2015! grin

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by msquared
I've been kicking around reboring a -06 to a 12 or 14 twist 35 Whelen and JES reboring (who's a few hours away) only lists the 760, not the 7600 or model 6.

Bigfoot,

Before going to a rebore, just be aware that the 760 has been made in .35 Whelen. So, it might be less expensive to watch for a used one. Or, Grice Gun Shop, a major LGS/Wholesaler in PA, occasionally has special runs of new 7600s in .35 Whelen. ( https://www.gricegunshop.com/ )

I doubt you'll find a used pum in 35 Whelen that is in decent shape for less than 250 bucks give or take. Thats about what it costs for a rebore

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love my Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen, aka "The Whelenizer." However, I took it out of the line-up this year after 10 seasons' duty. In those 10 years, I had taken more deer with that rifle than any other. KYHillChick conspired with other Campfire members to acquire this as a Saint Hubert's Day present for me a decade ago.

[Linked Image]

First off: why the high body count? Simple, after bagging a nice buck, I usually brought out the Whelenizer to top off the freezer. It accounted for 1-2 doe every year. Slam, Bang, Done. Also, the stock on the 7600 was a little beat-up when I got the rifle. As a result, I used it as my designated "Rain Gun"-- I wasn't hurting anything.

So why did I put it away? I had acquired 2 new rifles, one in '06 and another in 25-06. I wanted to get them blooded. The Whelenizer was getting to be so much of a sure bet, it was time to put it aside.

The cool thing about the Whelenizer is that EVERYONE knew I had that rifle out. I've had complete strangers walk up to me and ask if I had taken a deer that day. It has a very distinctive report even at a mile or more.

The big downsides to the Whelenizer? First off, the magazines. Those mags are very touchy. I've been down to one good working one out of 5 at the end of season. Second is the 35 Whelen is expensive to shoot-- about 2x over a 30-06. Third is the recoil-- I shoot mine at 358 WIN levels with 200 grainers. It still is a lot of work on the shoulder when an '06 will do the same job with less.

My plans for the Whelenizer? I am slowly working my way into casting my own bullets. The Whelenizer is going to be reworked into my first cast lead rifle. I had other projects come up this summer, otherwise it would have already been done. When complete, I will have something that shoots in the 35-REM range.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I bought a 7600 35 Whelen from Grice 6-7 years ago. Mounted a Luepold VX III 2.5 X 8 in quick detach rings on her. With My handloads, 225 gr. Sierra boat tails, 58 gr. R 15, and Win. mag primers it shoots 3 shot clover leafs from the bench at 100 yards. I took a doe on opening day , I leaned the rifle against a tree while gutting the deer and it fell over onto a rock. Put a nice ding in the front bell of the scope. I went to the range to verify zero and didn't touch an 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper at 100 yards. I don't have enough ammo to resight and hunt with. ( no one seems to have any 225 Sierras ). So she'll spend the rest of the season in the safe.

Last edited by bsteve; 11/26/14.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
One I had ONCE...is at the bottom of Boeuf River...with a cinder block tied to it!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsteve
I bought a 7600 35 Whelen from Grice 6-7 years ago. Mounted a Luepold VX III 2.5 X 8 in quick detach rings on her. With My handloads, 225 gr. Sierra boat tails, 58 gr. R 15, and Win. mag primers it shoots 3 shot clover leafs from the bench at 100 yards. I took a doe on opening day , I leaned the rifle against a tree while gutting the deer and it fell over onto a rock. Put a nice ding in the front bell of the scope. I went to the range to verify zero and didn't touch an 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper at 100 yards. I don't have enough ammo to resight and hunt with. ( no one seems to have any 225 Sierras ). So she'll spend the rest of the season in the safe.

Try some 225gr Barnes bullets. My 7600 35W loves them.

I am running 250gr Horny's in this rifle so if you want to try some 225gr Barnes bullets, PM me and we will work something out. I have a couple boxes of them, I think. The Barnes bullets are fantastic on game performers, I am just staying old school with this rifle. I would probably buy and use some 250-275gr round nose or semi spitzers if I could find them, just for fun and nostalgia sake.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've hunted with this older 760 since the 1970's. It's a genuine tack driver! My scope is a Simmons Aetac featuring 2.8-10X power settings. Good hunting to you.

Sherwood

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Sherwood; 11/27/14.

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
A
ABLE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
WOW NOTHING BETTER THEN SITTING BY THE CAMPFIRE AND HEARING ALL THE GREAT STORIES AND EXPERIENCES> YOU GUYS ARE PUTTING A REAL SMILE ON MY FACE> KEEP THE STORIES COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPE YOUALL HAVE A MEMORABLE CHRISTMAS AND BLESS SOMEONE ALONE THE WAY.

THANKS AGAIN
ABLE

Last edited by ABLE; 12/03/14.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[Linked Image]Grice special 7600 carbine in 308. It shoots bug holes with 180 round nose core lokts and 180 gr. federal fusions. I( have a Burris 3X9 timberline scope on it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is my first year with a 7600 in 06'. The groups with 165gr corelokts are just under 1" which is plenty for a brush rifle. Unfortunately the second shot will not always be picked up so I may have to try a different clip.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You don't need a scope with BDC lines for this rifle. You need a small, quality variable scope in low or x-low rings.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
IN my part of PA , they are called "Amish machine guns"

If you really like something,you better buy two!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SuperCub
You don't need a scope with BDC lines for this rifle. You need a small, quality variable scope in low or x-low rings.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hey SC, except for the scope mounts, you have the twin to my .358Win. cool

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have owned 2 of these in 06 and now would like a 308 with about a 20" tube. Shooting boogers I had, know a guy with a 243 that shoots under 3/4" all day long.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SuperCub, that is a fine looking set-up.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I don't use a Remington pump-gun, but I DO have some short-range scopes.
My favorite scope on my "all-around" rifle, is the Redfield "WideField" 2-7 variable. It is a crosshair model on an FN Mauser .270 AI. I don't believe in shooting at an unwounded animal at more than 350-400 yards so a 2 1/2x to 4X scope sighted about 2" high will work just fine.
I have severals scopes with TKLee dots in them. My Lyman 4X has a 4moa dot, my Weaver K2.5 has a 3moa dot, the Weaver V5 has a 2moa dot, and the K6 has a 1moa dot, but it is mounted on my varmint-calling rifle, a .257 "Bob."
The Lee dot is on a crosshair that is almost invisible, but your subconscious can pick it up. The single dot will allow you to range-estimate in a hurry, in the ranges you would be shooting.
The reason I have so many of the old steel Weavers is that I picked up several with "telephone pole" or 4x4 crosshairs at a good price and sent them in to Lee. I think they are GREAT!
I've read a lot of Jack O'Conner and he seemed to think they were all right.
Have fun,
Gene

Last edited by Mavrick; 12/07/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Hey SC, except for the scope mounts, you have the twin to my .358Win. cool

Those carbines are handy little rifles, esp if a small scope goes on them. One in 358 would be a great rifle for just about everything where i live.

Over the years, I had a couple 760 rifles cut back to 20" and found I liked that bbl length better than the std 18.5" carbine length.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
SuperCub, that is a fine looking set-up.

Thanks .... I've had that 760 Carbine for a looong time. It belonged to my grandfather. Iswapped the original stock out a 7600 stock w/o the with lines and had a thin declerator added.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They are about the only rifle that screams "woods rifle" as much as a Model 94 Winchester, and truth be known, are far more versatile than an M94.

That's coming from a long-time M94 user, but it happens to be the truth.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I swapped the original stock out a 7600 stock w/o the with lines and had a thin declerator added.

That's what I did, too. Great minds think alike, I guess! grin

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut

I swapped the original stock out a 7600 stock w/o the with lines and had a thin declerator added.

That's what I did, too. Great minds think alike, I guess! grin

We're weird! grin

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I know this thread is dated but I carried my carbine all season here in Maine. Ended up hunting 9 1/2 days overall and killed a buck the last Saturday of the season. I'll do some things differently for next year. The 2.5x8 is the least favorite Leupold I own and I will be getting a 1x4 or 1.5x5 for next season. Really don't like the cheap Leupold rings I put on so that will be upgraded also, and plan to play around with a few more loads. I killed my deer at about 20 yards with a single 165gr. factory Core-lokt. While I'm not a huge fan of the 06,and certainly not Core-lokts, everything worked fine and he dropped in his tracks but I want to play a little more with the rifle.

We had snow all season long and I was on my feet for pretty much the entire time I hunted. That little carbine was a joy to carry.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
my 35 remington 141 pump
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
this is my brother's cut down model 14 in 30 remington
[Linked Image]
we like to call it Dr. Death

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by JDK
I know this thread is dated but I carried my carbine all season here in Maine. Ended up hunting 9 1/2 days overall and killed a buck the last Saturday of the season. I'll do some things differently for next year. The 2.5x8 is the least favorite Leupold I own and I will be getting a 1x4 or 1.5x5 for next season. Really don't like the cheap Leupold rings I put on so that will be upgraded also, and plan to play around with a few more loads. I killed my deer at about 20 yards with a single 165gr. factory Core-lokt. While I'm not a huge fan of the 06,and certainly not Core-lokts, everything worked fine and he dropped in his tracks but I want to play a little more with the rifle.

We had snow all season long and I was on my feet for pretty much the entire time I hunted. That little carbine was a joy to carry.

It was a good tracking year in VT as well. Snow from beginning to end. Shot my buck hunting the thick stuff on the first Wednesday of the season. 7600 carbine using 180 grain round nose core-lok. One shot, one kill. Love my Leupold 1.5-5.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 44automag, 348srfun, 31 invisible), 2,004 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.