-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dunno? That's about how many Golden Bullets I've used up in the past 30 years and there are oodles of 'em around here. Mostly in fancy tins and sech. Some came with a Remington pocket knife, which was the primary reason for the purchase.

Sure as hell wasn't for the ammo. sick

Although if I'd ever gotten desperate enough during the shortage, mighta coulda fired two or three of 'em before sanity was restored?

smirk

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have usually kept 2 cases of match grade 22 ammo on hand and 3 cases of high-velocity gopher shooting ammo on hand.

This spring/summer I went through 2 cases of my gopher shooting ammo and a half case of match grade. It will all be replaced but certainly at more expense.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If shooters as a group continue with the mindset that they absolutely need to stock up 15 to 20K rounds it will be a long, long time until this shortage abates.

Buy a brick or two, leave some for the next guy and then repeat as necessary. This shortage will pass but the length of time that takes depends on us. Continue to operate in panic mode and this self inflicted shortage will drag on a long, long time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Until the 2008 shortage I was one of those guys who only rarely shot .22 LR. When centerfire components got scare and expensive, I went to .22 LR and never looked back. My current burn rate is about 10-12000 per year. I will probably want to have a pretty decent inventory for the future. And, instead of a grab bag of ammo and a lot of bulk pack, I am going to standardize on CCI Mini-Mags because they are reliable and seem to work well across a number of platforms. Then I will get smaller quantities of other stuff for particular guns. Even at ten cents a round, 5000 rounds is not much more expensive than 1000 rounds of .223 or .45 ACP, and I get 5 times the trigger time.

Now, that is just a quantity and a level of quality that I want. If I had to make do, a couple of bricks could last me a lifetime.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
At 60 and shooting Win 52's both target and sporters for paper and tree rats,I feel good at 4-5000 rounds, Wolf MT, S&K match and good lots of Federal auto match. I also put in a couple 1000 rounds of the S&K magazine in the 500 ct cardboard tubes.. I cannot tell any change from the Wolf, same headstamp ,sound and accuracy. I did have sticker shock on last 2000 rounds. Very Best WinPoor

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Ask and ye shall receive!

Went to a show today and scored a brick of Wolf MT. Sales lady said they have two pallets of it. The bad part... $74/Brick. However, it's better than $12/50 for Federal Match.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
If shooters as a group continue with the mindset that they absolutely need to stock up 15 to 20K rounds it will be a long, long time until this shortage abates.

Buy a brick or two, leave some for the next guy and then repeat as necessary. This shortage will pass but the length of time that takes depends on us. Continue to operate in panic mode and this self inflicted shortage will drag on a long, long time.

I was going to post basically the same thing. I found two boxes of .22LR at an inflated but not quite painful price that became the early Christmas present for a good friend. He's been out of 22 and trying to take his son shooting for a long time. Compare that to the guy who was moaning about getting more while telling the sales guy at the local sporting box store that he had 800 thousand rounds or more at home. The guy was my age or older meaning he'll be real lucky to see another thirty years on this earth. He could shoot a box a day and never run out.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Probably very little.. As I have enough for gopher shooting for my life time.. I might buy some for my step grandkids to shoot, although I have kept them up to speed with supplies from my stuff.

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He could shoot a box a day and never run out.

Belt feed could fix that.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Its nice to see there is more good sportsmen here at this web
site then others I've seen.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For years before the panic I bought a brick of Winchester Super-X every other payday or so and used it for target shooting and hunting.

The shortage hasn't affected my shooting and I was able to give some to a couple of friends when the stuff disappeared off the shelves. I'll go back to my regular buying habits when the supply line catches up again.

There have been some .22's put up for sale locally because the owners decided they didn't want to wait for ammo.

Last week I was able to make a good trade for a Colt Frontier .22 revolver and a Browning semi auto .22 rifle (something I've always wanted) and a Ruger 10/22 cheap.

Hopefully when supplies get caught up the prices will be a little more reasonable again too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll buy none. I have so much from before the panic that my kid's kids will be shooting it. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hope the guys who have their garages filled with 22 ammo realize that ammo doesn't improve with age, and rimfire ammo in particular has a tendency to noticeably go the other way.

When reports of people getting burned on over-priced junk hoarded ammo come out, it could have the result of keeping new ammo prices up while making privately held supplies become suspect.

I have a feeling that 22 ammo is not where one should be playing the market in planning for retirement.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

[/quote]

800 thousand rounds or more at home. The guy was my age or older meaning he'll be real lucky to see another thirty years on this earth. He could shoot a box a day and never run out. [/quote]

I see you don't have a full auto 10/22 with a can on it, I could put a good dent in that pile in time, it takes a lot longer to load the mags then emptying them

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SShooterZ
I'll buy none. I have so much from before the panic that my kid's kids will be shooting it. smile

So, like, you were a hoarder before anybody cared or thought you were a bad person because of it. Way ahead of the times. Bravo!

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
So, like, you were a hoarder before anybody cared or thought you were a bad person because of it. Way ahead of the times. Bravo!

Exactly! I'd grab a 500 round box or 2 from Walmart once in awhile. Buy some SK and Wolf online when it was on sale. Buy some in local ads and attend some estate sales and grab would I could on the cheap. Then by a stroke of luck, a local Super KMart was getting out of the ammo business and was selling 500 round boxes of Winchester Wildcats for $2 and Winchester Dynapoints for $5. I won't tell you how much I bought but it has served me well.

I've also helped out a couple of people on the forums over the years who just wanted to shoot with their kids. One was a serviceman who was coming back home for a leave and wanted some .22 to shoot with his kids. Sent him a couple of boxes at no cost to him because I've been blessed and thought no way a soldier should be denied that experience.

So I don't apologize for what I have and have been lucky enough to watch this debacle of the "hoarders vs wanters" from the cheap seats. In the end, I believe we're all responsible for ourselves. If you don't have any, deal with it. If you have plenty, enjoy it. Nobody owes anyone else anything.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bought 22lr from Cabelas , brick of 500 2 days ago $29.00 . Couple of other items and free shipping. Today picked up a bit more from Midsouth along with some other items. Its out there. Christmas shopping for the grandkid.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Going to buy 22LR until I can not close the front door when I go to work. grin

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I will slowly stock up on the better bulk ammo, but I will leave some on the shelf for the next guy and to mitigate the panic.

My problem is I live in a metro area and there are so many shooters that its not showing up on the shelves like the coastal areas. Its not worth it for me to pay shipping or even gander mountain prices.

Goal is to have 3 50cal ammo boxes full to weather the storms. These dam You-tube & 15 minutes of fame kids and all the media exposure are going to make this problem occur more often than democratic presidential election cycles...

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Redhill: My "thoughts" - are, you are dreaming!
Its been 26 full months now since this rimfire shortage situation started (was foisted upon us!) and I see NO end in sight.
I have NOT seen Winchester Power-Points (hollow-point 40 grain gray box stuff) on a stores shelves in two years now!
If your dream were to somehow come to fruition I would buy 100,000 rounds so myself and my family would never be subjected to another shortage/worry again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 3,325 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,304
Posts18,468,097
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.