Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose

Great read about the Lewis and Clark Expedition, essentially an updated biography of Meriwether Lewis with the major emphasis being the expedition. Great info on American life during the late 1700's and early 1800's...it's amazing what 200 years of technology has done for the American way of life.

The actual narrative immediately surrounding the expedition is fantastic. The modern American can hardly comprehend what Lewis and Clark accomplished. Technology has done so much to remove many of the slightest inconveniences and almost all of the serious ones as relating to health and physical discomfort. Those were some tough bastards. It was a grueling trip and they battled the terrain, the elements, starvation, and more. The Indians could have killed them all a bunch of times over, instead they saved them at various instances which is a miracle in itself especially given the circumstances; essentially claiming to every large group of Indians they came to that this was now American land, a white boy was now in charge of them, you will now need to answer to us and stop fighting with all the other tribes... essentially telling them that their way of life needed to be immediately and completely changed or they would all be rubbed out by white boys who would come from back east. It is likely most of this was lost in translation and for the most part not understood, or maybe it was so ridiculous that they assumed it was a lie. Luckily for them they only encountered the Blackfeet once, and it was a small group. That's a good story. The whole of the encounters with the grizzlies is some good reading as well.

This a good account of a great event in American history and there's some good hunting stories in there too;)

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Read it about 12 years ago. Recommend it. I recall the mention of eating greasy beaver meat and how they loved it. As opposed to eating mostly lean game.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't recall the beaver review but I do remember that Lewis loved dog meat and Clark hated it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I really enjoyed this book. The Lewis and Clark Expedition was a monumental accomplishment in American history and Stephen Ambrose did a masterful job of presenting the story.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a good read, slow but interesting. I don't remember my History teacher telling about the Indian squaws with VD or treating it with mercury haha. Overall they got extremely lucky to make it through that ordeal alive.

Last edited by centershot; 05/19/15.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Good read, for me. But you gotta want to know about the Expedition to enjoy the book.

Some of the reading can be a bit tedious.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I read it awhile back. The work required to move around The Great Falls of the Missouri in Montana is mind-boggling.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 204guy, 59 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.