24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sorry for the delay getting the final installment posted.

Outfitter / PH: Pieter Kriel

Dates: May 2 - May 17, 2014

Hunter: Charles

Observer: Ellice (aka Princess Wannatakeapee or Trophy Wife)

Airline: American Airlines DFW to London, British Airways London to Johannesburg

Rifle: Mauser 30-06 and Marlin .243

Animals on my list are: Nyala, Red Hartebeest, Blesbok, and Bushpig.

May 13th: Today we travel from Natal to Eastern Free State. We have a good breakfast, bid our farewells to Frans, Anton, and Zwelly, and hit the road. We spend most of the day on the road, passing through Golden Gate Park and within view of Lesotho.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We arrive at the lodge late afternoon. It is rustic and very picturesque.

The lodge
[Linked Image]

Our chalet
[Linked Image]

Our view
[Linked Image]

Dinner was a wonderful experience. We each had stones that had been heated up in a stove. We spread butter on it and then cook various game meats and vegetables on the stone while getting to know our hosts and learning about the history of the lodge.

[Linked Image]

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
May 14th: Today we start hunting for Red Hartebeest and Blesbok. We start off with our coffee and rusks. It is windy, but not brutally cold as expected. In fact it is very pleasant.

Time to switch to 4-wheel drive and head into the hills.

[Linked Image]

Soon we were on Red Hartebeest. I was pleased that it was a relatively short shot. I really don�t care for 200 yard plus shots.

[Linked Image]

Only problem is I missed. After multiple shots and I wasn�t even close enough for Pieter to see dust get kicked up to tell where I am shooting. When I go to reload I feel the action shift in the stock and flip the rifle over. The Mauser has a crack running from the barrel to the magazine. I show it to Pieter and we switch to the Marlin. Unfortunately my shooting does not improve so it is time to head back to the lodge. We had just checked the scope on the Marlin last night.

May 15th: It was rough night trying to sleep so when Pieter texted me early in the morning asking me if I want to recheck the sighting of the rifle. I responded that I was already dressed and ready to go. We head for the range. When I get it on the bench I notice the crosshairs are a little skewed. Apparently we didn�t have the scope screws tight enough. We get it to shooting at the same spot for both of us at 200 yards. I am feeling much better and we head for breakfast.

[Linked Image]

Ellice decides she has had enough 4-wheeling and will go into Clarens and then do some horseback riding instead.

[Linked Image]

What a difference a day (and scope alignment) makes. We get onto a group of Red Hartebeest, but I want to try and get closer. We stalk from small clump of brush to clump of brush heading uphill. We get to the point that we are at the last brush large enough to give us any cover. Besides we have dozens of eyes on us and they are getting nervous. Pieter ranges it and tells me it is 231 yards. I get on the sticks and as soon as I am sure I am on the correct bull I shoot. The bull jumps drops his head and spins around. I shoot again and he starts rolling down hill. He has started out close to a �road� on the side of the hill. Now he is about a third of the way down the slope. We gut him on the side of the hill and bring him down to a point that we can get the bakkie to.

[Linked Image]

We break for lunch and take my Red Hartebeest to the lodge for skinning. After lunch we start hunting for Blesbok.

A group was spotted as we rounded a hill so we backed up and climbed over the hill. On the way up the hill the local guide was scampering up the hill as if he was going downhill. There may been some discussion about winging him to slow him down. On the other hand I was feeling the effects of altitude and age. Pieter was hanging back so I wouldn�t feel bad. wink By the time we got to the top the guide had probably taken a nap and the Blesbok had moved off to our right. We take a stroll down the ridge of the hill and I mention to Pieter how I feel about heights, but the view was great. We get close to the end of the ridge and see the Blesbok way off. We start back when the guide shows us a path that angles down on the opposite side and then we can walk around the hill to get back to the bakkie. This is an easier path than the one up so we start down this trail. We are about a third of the way down when a small bachelor group come around the hill. We are caught on the side of the hill with no cover. We lay back against the hill. The hill is so steep that this meant just leaning a little to our right. Pieter asks if I can make the shot. There is no way to put up the sticks and I have nothing to rest the rife on. I pull my left leg up to provide a rest for my left elbow. My foot keeps slipping. When I finally find a good foot hold my knee is too high. I stretch to get the rifle barrel down and thinking that any moment they will notice us on the side of the hill or possibly come up the trail that we are on. I take the shot and the Blesbok drops. After a few minutes Pieter says he will go back over the hill and bring the bakkie around. I keep the crosshairs on the Blesbok until we hear the bakkie coming.

[Linked Image]

It is now time to put the rifle away, head back to the lodge, get packed up, and get ready for dinner.

[img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc211/CharlesL_album/Africa%202014/sunset.jpg[/img]

May 16th: I am done hunting and we have one day left so we head for a guest house in Pretoria. We have the pleasure of meeting up with Karin (Pieter�s current first wife) and Chris for dinner.

May 17th: Our flight isn�t until evening so Pieter shows us some of the sites in the Pretoria area. One of the highlights is a tour of the Sammy Marks Museum and have a lovely lunch there. We are reminded of Pieter�s past life as a Curator when the tour guide greets Pieter and introduces him to the group. One of the advantages that we have with Pieter as our outfitter is that each trip we get to learn some of South Africa�s history.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I appreciate your sharing. Different country than I hunted in July. Looks like a great time. Makes me want to go back.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for sharing. Makes me excited about my upcoming RSA trip.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I appreciate your sharing. Different country than I hunted in July. Looks like a great time. Makes me want to go back.

In one trip I hunted from country to east Texas river bottom to Wyoming. I have been to Free State twice and have seen two different types of terrain.

I understand wanting to go back and I was there in May. frown

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GRF
Thanks for sharing. Makes me excited about my upcoming RSA trip.

I am envious. Which part are you going to and what are you hunting?

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice report and photos! Congratulations! It makes me want to return for another hunt.

Eric

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Charles,
Great write up, report and photos! Thanks for sharing! As Marlin said, it also was a bit different country than what I hunted. Beautiful trophies as well!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Charles; I will be hunting for 10 days in the eastern Cape with Hotfire Safaris same outfit AB2506 posted about a few months ago. Primary game is EC Kudu, Bushbuck and Nyala. Although there are a good Number of other animals which will be taken should a reasonable opportunity present itself; springbok, impala, black and blue wildebeest among them.

My wife and I will then tour for 10 days and spend 2 days on a beach before returning home. This will be our second trip Africa the first was in 2008? 2009? to Namibia with Byseewah, hunting surf fishing and touring for a month.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sounds like like a great trip. I am jealous. I am wanting to go back already. frown

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
IC B3

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I understand the feeling Charles. I have been wanting to go back since my first trip.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Great trip and pictures.

I saw that you traveled with AA through London. Did you take your personal firearms or use the outfitters?

The last time we used AA through London, AA said they would not take our firearms even with the use of a transfer agent.

Thanks

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
This the same farm my god grandson got his Black Wildebeeste on, in August of 2013. Nice area. We didn't get to cook any food on hot rocks though. Actually, my screen saver is a picture of Pieter setting at the table, working on his laptop, with the god grand kid standing beside him. How do we attach a picture here.

Where are parts one and two of this story..would like to read them too.

Last edited by tisha; 11/26/14.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Caleveras
Great trip and pictures.

I saw that you traveled with AA through London. Did you take your personal firearms or use the outfitters?

The last time we used AA through London, AA said they would not take our firearms even with the use of a transfer agent.

Thanks

I used Pieter's rifles. AA stopped allowing guns to be checked through UK because of the problems they have had. I recently learned from another hunter's report that you can check guns if traveling through London on British Airways. If you do this be sure and check what calibers you can not check because they are funny about any style rifle that shoots a "military" caliber.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tisha
This the same farm my god grandson got his Black Wildebeeste on, in August of 2013. Nice area. We didn't get to cook any food on hot rocks though. Actually, my screen saver is a picture of Pieter setting at the table, working on his laptop, with the god grand kid standing beside him. How do we attach a picture here.

Where are parts one and two of this story..would like to read them too.

To post a photo it needs to be on the internet somewhere, a photo site or a web server. When you are posting you click the image icon above the rectangle where you type your post and then paste in the URL of your image.

Here are the links to part one and two.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...other_African_Adventure_Part#Post8886505

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...other_African_Adventure_Part#Post8898936

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
143 members (257 mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 778 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,897
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.