Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Paladin

Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
So, Paladin, when are you gonna punch it out to AI?

Way ahead of you pal.

Not long after taking those photos, I clamped the stock in my vise, then put the ViseGrips on the barrel to unscrew it so I could get it re-chambered. I think it was the cheek piece that let the stock slip in the vise, or I didn't tighten the vise enough, so I put a 3' cheater on the vise handle to help out.

I figured the 8" ViseGrip pliers would have been strong enough to unscrew the barrel, but I could never get the dang things tight enough to keep from slipping (you would think those curved jaws with the serrations would work better than they do).

I tried again to unscrew the barrel with a 24� pipe wrench until I heard the cracking, which I thought was the wrench slipping again. Except I had replaced the worn jaws the first time it slipped, then I saw the lengthwise split just back of the trigger guard through that really nice fine-line checkering in the grip.

Realizing the stock wasn't holding up, I found a piece of re-bar that almost fit between the scope and the action (took a little persuasion with a 6lb. hammer) that I was able to wedge against the vise table that kept the whole works from turning. I finally figured out those barrels have right hand threads and got the barrel unscrewed. Man was it tight.

A little repair work to do and maybe have to replace the stock, but I think I can make it work, except possibly for the scope (those things aren't as tough as they look). If I can find the time to get started and don't loose all the parts.

If I ever try to take a barrel off another rifle, I think I'll start by clamping the fore end in the vise instead of the butt of the stock, especially if it has a cheek piece (does that make it a butt cheek?).

Disclaimer: The above isn't real. The rifle remains untouched by vise or other implement of destruction.

Although I never met the man, I'm not sure P.O. himself would even try something with a rifle this..., never mind. Probably not much he wouldn't have or didn't modify.
David

I knew you were joking as I read this, but I still cringed so hard I got a cramp! My experience with firearms has taught me that it is the significance of people that they remind me of that makes them special to me. I'm humbled by what I've read in this thread. Besides the above quote. Which is horrifying.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Not long after taking those photos, I clamped the stock in my vise, then put the ViseGrips on the barrel to unscrew it so I could get it re-chambered. I think it was the cheek piece that let the stock slip in the vise, or I didn't tighten the vise enough, so I put a 3' cheater on the vise handle to help out.

I figured the 8" ViseGrip pliers would have been strong enough to unscrew the barrel, but I could never get the dang things tight enough to keep from slipping (you would think those curved jaws with the serrations would work better than they do).

I tried again to unscrew the barrel with a 24� pipe wrench until I heard the cracking, which I thought was the wrench slipping again. Except I had replaced the worn jaws the first time it slipped, then I saw the lengthwise split just back of the trigger guard through that really nice fine-line checkering in the grip.

Realizing the stock wasn't holding up, I found a piece of re-bar that almost fit between the scope and the action (took a little persuasion with a 6lb. hammer) that I was able to wedge against the vise table that kept the whole works from turning. I finally figured out those barrels have right hand threads and got the barrel unscrewed. Man was it tight.

A little repair work to do and maybe have to replace the stock, but I think I can make it work, except possibly for the scope (those things aren't as tough as they look). If I can find the time to get started and don't loose all the parts.

If I ever try to take a barrel off another rifle, I think I'll start by clamping the fore end in the vise instead of the butt of the stock, especially if it has a cheek piece (does that make it a butt cheek?).

Next time, just get a good carbide extension drill bit of the appropriate diameter and run it into the chamber. The tip of the drill bit is probably close enough to the 40 degree shoulder angle. All you have to do is remove the bolt, and you won't have to tighten the vise near as much. You can thank me later. cool

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Paladin, have you by chance posted pictures of your 25-06 from Mr. Howell? If you have, I'd like to find them. It seems to me that guns can pick up and carry some Mojo from their owners.

Huntnshoot,

I'm glad you asked about photos. I've been meaning to post some, just haven't gotten around to it. You've forced my hand. blush

I don't have any really good photos at the moment, so these will have to do for the time being.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
This has to be the best piece of wood I own. A really nice stock on this rifle.

[Linked Image]

I feel very fortunate to have this rifle for a number of reasons. The first being that Ken told me he pretty much had the rifle sold at one time for what he considered a very fair price but apparently the prospective buyer didn't agree, so to my good fortune the deal fell through.

I was visiting Ken earlier this year when out of the blue and without saying a word he got up and went into another room, then came back with this rifle. It is without a doubt, the best gift I will probably ever receive from a friend, other than the friendship itself.

I'll be working loads up over the next few weeks and with any luck, be able to take some sort of game with one of those newfangled Ballistic Tips soon.

David

Dave,

Good to see that it went from a good home... to another good home...Wish you a lot of hunting success with it...definitely a looker...

hope this finds you and your family well...

enjoyed your hospitality and kindness there in New Mexico earlier this year...

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Tell Ken I dearly enjoyed just getting to hold that beautiful gun, David.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Paladin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
That explains a LOT.

Steelhead,
anything I should be aware of?

Originally Posted by shootinurse
Next time, just get a good carbide extension drill bit of the appropriate diameter and run it into the chamber. The tip of the drill bit is probably close enough to the 40 degree shoulder angle. All you have to do is remove the bolt, and you won't have to tighten the vise near as much. You can thank me later. cool

shootinurse,
good, sound advice, what I really like about forums. You can bet that on my next attempt I will start with your method. I'll go ahead and tell you thanks now.

Originally Posted by Seafire
Dave,

Good to see that it went from a good home... to another good home...Wish you a lot of hunting success with it...definitely a looker...

hope this finds you and your family well...

enjoyed your hospitality and kindness there in New Mexico earlier this year...

Seafire,
the pleasure was mine, sir.

Originally Posted by eyeball
Tell Ken I dearly enjoyed just getting to hold that beautiful gun, David.

Will do, eyeball.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Beautiful gun, especially the wood!

You should seriously consider writing fiction for Halloween for gun enthusiasts!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I will try to get some pictures of the one I brought home in the next day or two. I have some from my phone but they aren't good.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Beautiful rifle! It's a shame we see so few wood-stocked rifles these days, especially with that quality of wood.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not in a place where I can take as good of a set of pictures as I like but here is what Ken gave me. The most beautiful and the most treasured rifle I have owned.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww211/compassrosefarms/DSC_0079_zps08acd6e7.jpg[/img]

Ken told me Edgar Gomer (Salt Lake City) whittled one his Circassian blanks. The work he did is way past "whittled". The fit is probably the best I have ever seen and the hand checkering is the work or a master.

It is chambered in 358 Win. I wish I knew who did the work but I don't know.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Another beauty. Heck, wondering if we're looking at January and February of next year's Campfire calendar. I'd like to preorder the first copy!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F
� Ken told me Edgar Gomer (Salt Lake City) whittled one his Circassian blanks. The work he did is way past "whittled". The fit is probably the best I have ever seen and the hand checkering is the work or a master.

It is chambered in 358 Win. I wish I knew who did the work but I don't know.

Iver Henriksen barreled my action, which I altered a bit to suit myself. Don't remember who made the barrel � probably an early Shilen.

The action is a short Mauser � Mexican � original barrel was a 7x57mm.

I put the sights on the receiver and barrel � 26mm Kahles (4x, I think) in a German scope mount, Remington open sights.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks Ken.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Ken, your taste in rifles is impeccable. The two on this thread are collector-grade firearms, and works of art as much as tools. Your name being attached to them also makes them desirable.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,395
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.