Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Paladin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Paladin, have you by chance posted pictures of your 25-06 from Mr. Howell? If you have, I'd like to find them. It seems to me that guns can pick up and carry some Mojo from their owners.

Huntnshoot,

I'm glad you asked about photos. I've been meaning to post some, just haven't gotten around to it. You've forced my hand. blush

I don't have any really good photos at the moment, so these will have to do for the time being.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
This has to be the best piece of wood I own. A really nice stock on this rifle.

[Linked Image]

I feel very fortunate to have this rifle for a number of reasons. The first being that Ken told me he pretty much had the rifle sold at one time for what he considered a very fair price but apparently the prospective buyer didn't agree, so to my good fortune the deal fell through.

I was visiting Ken earlier this year when out of the blue and without saying a word he got up and went into another room, then came back with this rifle. It is without a doubt, the best gift I will probably ever receive from a friend, other than the friendship itself.

I'll be working loads up over the next few weeks and with any luck, be able to take some sort of game with one of those newfangled Ballistic Tips soon.

David

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Paladin
Paladin, have you by chance posted pictures of your 25-06 from Mr. Howell? If you have, I'd like to find them. It seems to me that guns can pick up and carry some Mojo from their owners.

Huntnshoot,

I'm glad you asked about photos. I've been meaning to post some, just haven't gotten around to it. You've forced my hand. blush

I don't have any really good photos at the moment, so these will have to do for the time being.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
This has to be the best piece of wood I own. A really nice stock on this rifle.

[Linked Image]

I feel very fortunate to have this rifle for a number of reasons. The first being that Ken told me he pretty much had the rifle sold at one time for what he considered a very fair price but apparently the prospective buyer didn't agree, so to my good fortune the deal fell through.

I was visiting Ken earlier this year when out of the blue and without saying a word he got up and went into another room, then came back with this rifle. It is without a doubt, the best gift I will probably ever receive from a friend, other than the friendship itself.

I'll be working loads up over the next few weeks and with any luck, be able to take some sort of game with one of those newfangled Ballistic Tips soon.

David

Beautiful rifle and likely Ken has a few loads for it already. A barrel on such a rifle should never waste a shot.
JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Paladin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

Beautiful rifle and likely Ken has a few loads for it already. A barrel on such a rifle should never waste a shot.
JW

He does, for 120's. The BT's I have are 100's. I don't expect to burn too many.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Terrific rifle, in perhaps my favorite hunting cartridge. Outstanding!

Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is without a doubt, the best gift I will probably ever receive from a friend, other than the friendship itself.

Well said. I wish that I could come up with something as good. Beautiful rifle. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Really a gorgeous rifle, there is nothing else to say about it!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
David, that's a fine gift from a fine friend!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wonderful!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Awesome!! Beautiful rifle, and a gift to boot.. Enjoy!!!

Molon Labe
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Wow! That stock shames anything I've ever held in my hands! What a beautiful, trim, sleek firearm. I imagine it balances perfectly?

The things that are sold today that are called firearms are not what that is. I don't know what they are, but that, that is a firearm. And I agree with you Paladin: your good fortune at calling Ken Howell a friend far outshines your good fortune in owning such a piece of craftsmanship and beauty.

Thanks for posting. I feel special now!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beautiful. Both the rifle and the friendship.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That explains a LOT.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a beauty!

Would love to see better pics, maybe Doc can tell us the details of the parts!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
David,

That is an exquisite piece of art! If it shoots as good as it looks you will have a rifle of a lifetime. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
So, Paladin, when are you gonna punch it out to AI?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Extremely nice rifle. Beautiful!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Absolutely beautiful. Try 52gr IMR4350 with your 100gr bullets. My old gun smith told me that if a .25-06 won't shoot that well, it needs some help. In my limited sample of four, he was right.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Paladin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by milespatton
It is without a doubt, the best gift I will probably ever receive from a friend, other than the friendship itself.

Well said. I wish that I could come up with something as good. Beautiful rifle. miles

Miles, you already have, my friend.

Wow! That stock shames anything I've ever held in my hands! What a beautiful, trim, sleek firearm. I imagine it balances perfectly?

The things that are sold today that are called firearms are not what that is. I don't know what they are, but that, that is a firearm. And I agree with you Paladin: your good fortune at calling Ken Howell a friend far outshines your good fortune in owning such a piece of craftsmanship and beauty.

Thanks for posting. I feel special now!

Thanks to you HuntnShoot. Balance is indeed exquisite, a fine, sleek, and sexy firearm, to be sure. To take nothing from your statement, probably not as special as I feel.

Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
David,

That is an exquisite piece of art! If it shoots as good as it looks you will have a rifle of a lifetime. grin

Ed

Ed, if I never put a round downrange, it is already a rifle of my lifetime (I know what you meant wink ).

So, Paladin, when are you gonna punch it out to AI?

Way ahead of you pal.

Not long after taking those photos, I clamped the stock in my vise, then put the ViseGrips on the barrel to unscrew it so I could get it re-chambered. I think it was the cheek piece that let the stock slip in the vise, or I didn't tighten the vise enough, so I put a 3' cheater on the vise handle to help out.

I figured the 8" ViseGrip pliers would have been strong enough to unscrew the barrel, but I could never get the dang things tight enough to keep from slipping (you would think those curved jaws with the serrations would work better than they do).

I tried again to unscrew the barrel with a 24� pipe wrench until I heard the cracking, which I thought was the wrench slipping again. Except I had replaced the worn jaws the first time it slipped, then I saw the lengthwise split just back of the trigger guard through that really nice fine-line checkering in the grip.

Realizing the stock wasn't holding up, I found a piece of re-bar that almost fit between the scope and the action (took a little persuasion with a 6lb. hammer) that I was able to wedge against the vise table that kept the whole works from turning. I finally figured out those barrels have right hand threads and got the barrel unscrewed. Man was it tight.

A little repair work to do and maybe have to replace the stock, but I think I can make it work, except possibly for the scope (those things aren't as tough as they look). If I can find the time to get started and don't loose all the parts.

If I ever try to take a barrel off another rifle, I think I'll start by clamping the fore end in the vise instead of the butt of the stock, especially if it has a cheek piece (does that make it a butt cheek?).

Disclaimer: The above isn't real. The rifle remains untouched by vise or other implement of destruction.

Although I never met the man, I'm not sure P.O. himself would even try something with a rifle this..., never mind. Probably not much he wouldn't have or didn't modify.

Originally Posted by shootinurse
Absolutely beautiful. Try 52gr IMR4350 with your 100gr bullets. My old gun smith told me that if a .25-06 won't shoot that well, it needs some help. In my limited sample of four, he was right.

shootinurse, thanks for the tip, I'll try it. I don't know if I've ever shot anything but H4831 (or SC) in a 25-06.

David

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That rifle is a treasure in more ways than one.

You had me going with the story for a minute or so, then I realized that no one could be that dumb.

RL-22 is a great 25-06 powder with any bullet weight of 100 gr or more.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Miles, you already have, my friend.

I was speaking about the words. I am overjoyed with my rifle and the Friend that furnished it. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (338Rules, 338reddog, 308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 22 invisible), 1,616 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,110
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.