Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have. A 210 .338 slug shattered the near shoulder plade and apparently itself, peppering the near side lund of a mid-sized bul moose at 100 yards, leaving the far side lung untouched.

A second round up the nose at 10 feet did the the job tho. Scared the chit out of me.

Never used the 210 after, no qualms on the 250. Also never approached another animal from the front, and have since used an insurance shot frm a few yards out...

I may be dumb, but I'd like to think I ain't no fool... (my wife would debate....:) )

Recovered 30 yard skull shot on moose Hornady 150 gr Superperformance bullet

:

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have.

Last edited by las; 11/22/14.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

If you tried the Berger bullets on game, you may be surprised. How you characterize them is nearly the exact opposite of my experiences with them. To each his own. Explosive? Sounds like your are quoting other companies' marketing of Bergers.

Berger bullets can be devastatingly effective under the right circumstances - of that I am 100% certain. I'm also 100% certain that Berger's own description of how they perform does not match the performance I want in a hunting bullet.

I have no idea what other companies may say about Berger bullets, nor do I care. Berger claims a VLD "will shed 40% to 85% of its weight as shrapnel ". The term "shrapnel" is generally defined as pieces of metal thrown out by an explosion.
I understand that you prefer bullets less prone to fragmenting, but like any bullet, Bergers don't perform the same every time regardless of impact velocity or what is hit. 2 more animals this year at just over 400, shots through ribs, one heavily quartering, and still I have yet to 'catch' a Berger. I don't know the exact number, but I know it is over a dozen from close and far, and each and every time they have exited. EVERY TIME. So I think that muzzle velocity has to be a factor. I and those I hunt with use heavy-for-cal versions and start them well below 3k.

Like I have alluded to so many times, I don't think you can even take a company's word for how a bullet will perform. The only way you can know is to shoot them at stuff. Until then, well, you just don't know.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
... So I think that muzzle velocity has to be a factor. I and those I hunt with use heavy-for-cal versions and start them well below 3k.

Like I have alluded to so many times, I don't think you can even take a company's word for how a bullet will perform. The only way you can know is to shoot them at stuff. Until then, well, you just don't know.

Muzzle velocity will definitely play an important role. Most of my hunting loads start out around 2900fps or higher, some up to about 3200fps.

I never take the word of the manufacturer as my sole source on how a bullet will perform. X and XLCs were supposed to behave in accordance with what I wanted yet they sorely disappointed me. TTSX, on the other hand, have been uniform in their performance for us, all to the good.

There are enough reports of Berger failures (failure to perform as desired) that I take them seriously. Glad you are happy with them, I feel no need to experiment with them.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
... So I think that muzzle velocity has to be a factor. I and those I hunt with use heavy-for-cal versions and start them well below 3k.

Muzzle velocity will definitely play an important role. Most of my hunting loads start out around 2900fps or higher, some up to about 3200fps.

I never take the word of the manufacturer as my sole source on how a bullet will perform. X and XLCs were supposed to behave in accordance with what I wanted yet they sorely disappointed me. TTSX, on the other hand, have been uniform in their performance for us, all to the good.

There are enough reports of Berger failures (failure to perform as desired) that I take them seriously. Glad you are happy with them, I feel no need to experiment with them.

Choice, freedom, and responsibility make opportunity for humans to thrive. I don't know exactly why, but your post caused me to reflect on that. I respect your experience. I wouldn't demand you shoot anything, and particularly not what you feel less than confident with.

I'll get around to trying 22 cal TTSX on meat deer one of these years, just because. I have seen with Barnes bullets what others have laid out: the smaller the hollow point, the more likely they are to pinhole, regardless of speed shot, but that the tipped version solved that issue.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,697
Posts18,456,685
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.