Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I snared a Stevens 200 SA 7mm-08 for one of the GKs and want to replace the butt-ugly plastic stock. The center-feed creates limited options and I wonder if anyone has any experience (not just opinions) with their center-feed stocks. Any help appreciated.

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If they ain't ambidextrous I'd not want it, assuming it's for a hunting rifle.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Replaced a Savage synthetic stock model 11 center feed 243 with Boyds laminate thumbhole feather weight stock and the fit was perfect. The additional weight was notable. The stock is more attractive and the feel is improved. Accuracy is about the same. Boyds standard recoil pad is just that. It fits but is not that forgiving. No problem on lighter recoiling calibers. If ordering for hard recoil caliber, I would suggest the optional decelerator recoil pad. The shorter length of pull I ordered was exactly what Boyds sent. I found the Boyds information to be exactly what they shipped.
Some people have had problems because they did not read the Boyds literature and measurements. Call Boyds if you have questions.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
hunt4646- with the center feed, does it include the magazine or do you need to take the one out of the plastic stock and install in the boyds...and if so how is the inlet there...feeding ok

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Hunt 4646
Thanks that's the feedback I was seeking. Hopefully there will be more on topic.

Steelhead
Now we know how you get to 67,786 posts..Off topic and immaterial comments are really of no value to anyone but you. In spite of my request to avoid opinions that have absolutely nothing to do with my post you managed to shoot off your fingers. It's HUNTING RIFLE POST.... therefore one might presume it was in reference to a hunting rifle......pay attention! YOUR desire for ambidextrous rifle stocks is of no matter as I only asked if a BOYD's was satisfactory if anyone ever had experience with one. Obviously, you do not but you still can't help yourself from a comment. Are you here to be a pest or comic relief?

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It's a frigging hunting rifle, yes/no? Why the hell would you want a hunting rifle that couldn't be fired from either shoulder?

I know why, because you have a WHOLE lot of stupid wrapped up in you. Don't worry, I don't expect much from Yankees.

Sweet Jesus you are dumb.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
laugh laugh grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Old_Doe_Shooter
Hunt 4646
Thanks that's the feedback I was seeking. Hopefully there will be more on topic.

Steelhead
Now we know how you get to 67,786 posts..Off topic and immaterial comments are really of no value to anyone but you. In spite of my request to avoid opinions that have absolutely nothing to do with my post you managed to shoot off your fingers. It's HUNTING RIFLE POST.... therefore one might presume it was in reference to a hunting rifle......pay attention! YOUR desire for ambidextrous rifle stocks is of no matter as I only asked if a BOYD's was satisfactory if anyone ever had experience with one. Obviously, you do not but you still can't help yourself from a comment. Are you here to be a pest or comic relief?

Yeah, but on the other hand, Steely's right.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Surely the addition of a thumb-hole wouldnt hinder the ability of shooting from either shoulder? I would think the comb to be more of an issue than a thumb-hole stock made for a right hander (or left).

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Some are set for ambidextrous use, but most would be akin to wearing your right shoe on your left foot. It not about comb, it's the frigging grip.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Some are set for ambidextrous use, but most would be akin to wearing your right shoe on your left foot. It not about comb, it's the frigging grip.
Yep. Might be kinda tough to shoot this one lefthanded...
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Absolutely. The contour of the thumb hole is completley different for a right or left hand thumb grip.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Offside. Try wiggling your thumb in there for a shot.

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O

Sweet Jesus you are dumb. [/quote]

I might be getting a bit deaf but I can speak quite well.

Thank you for the unsolicited advice. I am certain it would, perhaps, be useful once every 100 years but in the past 67 I have not needed or wanted such capabilities. I'll let you know if such a need arises in the next 33.

Now if anyone has ON TOPIC comments about your personal experience to actually answer my request it would be appreciated.

SCI Life Member 4**
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Again, I'm not surprised in the least.

I killed one the other day shooting from my off shoulder. Hell, 50% of the deer I've killed in the past 3 years have been shot with the wrong hand.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Old_Doe_Shooter

I might be getting a bit deaf but I can speak quite well.

Thank you for the unsolicited advice. I am certain it would, perhaps, be useful once every 100 years but in the past 67 I have not needed or wanted such capabilities. I'll let you know if such a need arises in the next 33.

Now if anyone has ON TOPIC comments about your personal experience to actually answer my request it would be appreciated.

You're the type that thinks 1 year of experience 67 times is the same as 67 years of experience.

You can always tell a Yankee, you just can't tell them much.

Last edited by Steelhead; 11/18/14.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I love it! Now you are answering your own inane and off topic comments. I'm not a Yankee. I don't play baseball. I actually have 67 years of shooting experience and long list of "victims".
In the last 3 years 50% of the time you shoot off your "wrong" shoulder. So you admit it's not the correct way to shoot.
Since you are dying to have the last word I'll just ignore you and let the frustration build up.

SCI Life Member 4**
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a Boyd's on my LH 700 BDL. For shooting off hand it's a great design, for shooting prone or off the bench it's more difficult than the factory stock.
I received the Boyd's semi-finished, action fit nicely and added a little bedding for an even better fit.
The outside needed some sanding and a good finish.
I like a poly finish and after about 6 coats it looks and feels great.
I would not buy another though.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jbmi; 11/18/14.

"The older I get, the better I was"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

113 members (6mmCreedmoor, 35, 338rcm, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 15 invisible), 984 guests, and 748 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,504
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.