Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Darktimber
This is always a good tip but it is especially important when backpack hunting.

[Linked Image]
The message is good but to affective, they need to practice with proper grammar. 'Your' is possessive, as in 'your foot'. The correct word here is a contraction of 'you are'...you're.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A great way to train, scout and prep for a hunt it to pack water in and cache it. In Arizona anyway ....

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I put water in my pack here too, there's just no point in caching it grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
Originally Posted by smokepole
Personally, I like to hike into my spot, not carry it with me.......

LOL

Keep your spot warm as well, either type of spot. I've had new batteries in a spot that failed to send because of battery power. The were lithiums as well, changed right before trip and first time turned on. Overall though, it has usually been pretty reliable especially if you are in more open country

Speaking of which, I have a spot connect for sale $65.00 via paypal. PM me or I'll put in in classifieds soon

A few negative thoughts on spot in this thread. But for us its peace of mind for families. It isnt' big enough or weigh enough to matter for that. Especially when i'm in Alaska all by myself, and makes the wife happier and my older mom happier too. I prefer to have the wife along, and she prefers to be along, but what if something happens. It can make a difference.

RE changing batteries, I thought that was teh case with everything that takes batteries and always have a backup anyway.
Maps, compass along with GPS, 3 ways to start fire, multi use sleeping pad used as sitting pad too for glassing or waiting out areas etc...

pack wise... I"ve found you have to find what works for you. I've spent a lot, and been less happy than with spending less. That was an accident but the cheaper pack just fit and carried loads better for me. And was a bit lighter to start with.
Camo is not needed.

NEVER leave your pack. Ever. Mine is on my back unless I"m just up to go pee from a location or such... its my life and I carry trhat with me, rather than extra this or that in a few pockets.

On a bush plane flight in though I will have a fanny pack with extreme survival stuff in it, and that stays with me on the plane all the time, the only time I have something replicated.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
On a bush plane flight in though I will have a fanny pack with extreme survival stuff in it, and that stays with me on the plane all the time, the only time I have something replicated.
Our SIL is a pilot for Homeland Security. He never flies anywhere, even as a commercial passenger, while wearing anything synthetic and he always has leather gloves in his carry on. Fire melts synthetics far faster than cotton or wool will burn and gloves are invaluable in an emergency where fire, broken glass, or anything sharp is involved.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Day-um. Here I sit on a plane, swathed in synthetics with no gloves. Hope I make it.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Uh-oh, the pilot's a woman. Does that make this a bush plane? Forgot my extreme survival gear!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
For fire, carrying really good, foolproof tinder with you is probably just as important as always carrying your favorite source of ignition (firesteel, lighter, matches, etc). For me, it is Wetfire + small Bic.

I hide Bics and hanks of cord everywhere in my stuff, pants, jackets, etc. like a squirrel prepping for winter. I wrap the Bics with tape AND jute twine so I have both cord and tinder in one. If I could find good quality and inexpensive button compasses, I would superglue them to the bottom of the Bic. When I get creative, there will be a fish hook and sewing needle under the tape.

Last edited by alukban; 12/02/14.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Putting a water bottle in your sleeping bag is a good way to keep it from freezing, but it is not much fun snuggling up with a cold water bottle. To solve this problem, warm the water and then put it back in the bottle at bedtime. It will warm up the sleeping bag and then the water will stay liquid all night.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Stop taking in fluids at least 2 hours before bed smile

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
One of the best things about floorless shelters, (especially those that allow you to stake the bottom of the walls up off the ground) is that you don't need to worry about leaving the tent to take a leak in the middle of the night. Just zip down the sleeping bag, roll toward the tent wall, and let 'er rip.

Carefully of course, and I draw the line at a deuce even in a big tent.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
334 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.