Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My experience is the Redding BR-30 throws small-grained extruded powders to within .1 grain or very close to it, without resorting to "knocks."I did a bunch of experimenting with one a couple years ago, and it did that even with the largest-granuled powder tried, H4350. Some experimentation with the baffle usually helped.

I also recently was given an older Lyman measure with the Culver conversion, but haven't experimented with it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The baffles mentioned are essential for consistency, and a practiced consistant technique will yield the most uniform results. It also pays to practice with your measure.Some powders respond well to a bump (or 2)at each end of the stroke, and some do better with no agitation on the load stroke, but always "bump" on the drop stroke. Using a Little Dandy pistol measure I can get 2 different weigts with the same rotor by altering technique. And with sphericals there is "0" variance. Stick powder in most of my measures does best with no agitation on the load stroke. Like so many things practice builds consistancy.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a Redding BR-30 which is ideal for charges around the volume of the 223 case. It is incredibly accurate. When I am up and going, I will weigh every 5th charge until I am certain that everything is kosher. Then it is every 10th. I also have an RCBS, which is fine for rougher work, or for smaller charges than run through the Redding. I use a baffle in the Redding BTW.

I wholeheartedly recommend the Redding to anyone looking to find a quality thrower. I have full confidence in it that the cases have the amount of powder they should have after I've gotten it running. The RCBS, I end up weighing more often than not, because charges can drift quite a bit. Have loaded many thousands of rounds with the Redding, and I am not the first owner. I'm not sure how many rounds my father loaded with it. Good product. Not cheap, but worth the price and then some.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How about the Redding 3BR? Any experience with these? Supposed to work from 5 to 100 grains.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If I am going to throw charges without weighing the only one I trust is my Harrell's ,if I use my uniflow every charge gets trickled and weighed

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I use a Harrell's too. Best investment I have made in the measures department.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I really like the 3 BR, but it will get somewhat inconsistent at extremes, like the 5 grains and the 100.

For loads around or over 100gr. (416 Rigby), I throw two charges of half the load and get better weight and case inspection results.

I use the pistol chamber for stuff under ten grains.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rogn
The baffles mentioned are essential for consistency, and a practiced consistant technique will yield the most uniform results. It also pays to practice with your measure.Some powders respond well to a bump (or 2)at each end of the stroke, and some do better with no agitation on the load stroke, but always "bump" on the drop stroke. Using a Little Dandy pistol measure I can get 2 different weigts with the same rotor by altering technique. And with sphericals there is "0" variance. Stick powder in most of my measures does best with no agitation on the load stroke. Like so many things practice builds consistancy.
What he said..

I've weighed many of the stick powders dropped through my Uni-flow and it's consistently at or under .1 gr, and I've been usin' it for decades.. I have a Lyman 1500 electronic scale and measure but haven't even tried it yet.. laugh

Some day - when I get time..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Christmas is coming, I'll start looking for a BR-30.

Thanks to all for the direction, I appreciate the help.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree that weighing every charge for a hunting load is probably a waste of time, but I'm weird and do it anyway with my Chargemaster. I have no trouble getting ball powders (Ramshot BG)or extruded powders to a .1 tolerance, which is where I call it good.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,297
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.