-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Really old debate that has never reached a conclusion concerning the .243 but just for the record, the .223 mentioned above is not up on deck for Indiana deer according to the proposal as written.

Just to keep the record straight.

God Bless

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I disagree, I just don't think either of those cartridges are adequate for the task. I don't care how much success shooters of those cartridges have had harvesting deer.
That is a comical way to state your argument. Funny how you think you "know" more than all those successful hunters. Just curious, beings you are an IN resident, how many deer have you killed with how many different rifle chamberings?

S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gunswiz
The .44 Magnum is well suited to most Indiana deer hunting situations. Allowing more powerful centerfire calibers I feel will lead to hunters attempting shots beyond their marksmanship capabilities. The greater range of high powered cartridges I feel also carries with it potential danger.

Never said guns were too dangerous, rather what irresponsible people do with them that's the dangerous part. I also do not buy into the reasoning that just because you can't have something will lead to losing firearm and hunting rights. We seem to go through this paranoia every election and every Newtown/Aurora incident. The PETA and Brady followers will never get thier way, certain factors in the firearm community vastly overinflate this issue. It has been going on since the RFK assination and the creation of the 4473. I stand behind my assertion that the legalization of the .44 Magnum for deer hunting in Indiana was a good thing, larger centerfire calibers is NOT.

They're probably the girlymen who insist on hunting deer with varmint rifles, .223,.243 etc..

I disagree, I just don't think either of those cartridges are adequate for the task. I don't care how much success shooters of those cartridges have had harvesting deer. You wouldn't select either of them for hunting grizzly bears or cape buffalo would you? Nor would you choose a deer cartridge like .270 or .30-06, you'd select something adequate for the task, .375 Magnum or similar. Why then the insistance on using a varmint rifle on deer? In the case of youth, ladies and the recoil sensitive there are reduced recoil loads available for .30-30,.270, .30-06 and other deer cartridges, also reduced power handloads. Nothing about that is detrimental to guns and hunting, your statement is simply not valid in my opinion.

Gunswiz:

I'm going let this rest after this post since you seem fairly set in your belief that the 44 Mag is the "Goldilocks" cartridge for Indiana deer hunting and that any other cartridge is too much of something.

I am just not following your logic as to why other cartridges are wrong for deer hunting in Indiana. My understanding was that you were initially stating hunters would use cartridges that are overpowered for deer and have too much range. Now you seem to be suggesting that hunters will use cartridges that are too underpowered for deer but suggest using a 270 or 30-06. Aren't those examples of cartridges that you initial said were too powerful? Even reduced recoil loads are typically producing 2500 to 2800 fps at the muzzle. This seems to be contradictory to your intial argument.

Please, go to the Indiana DNR and give your opinion.

I hope the rule proposal passes so that I can use what ever rifle I like next year and you can too.

Sincerely,

Scott

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They're probably the girlymen who insist on hunting deer with varmint rifles, .223,.243 etc..

I don't think my son will take kindly to your calling him a "girly man" for killing his first buck cleanly and humanely with a .243.

[Linked Image]

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There isn't a whitetail on earth that I wouldn't vent with either of those chamberings.

Stunt shot with 243
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by SKane

There isn't a whitetail on earth that I wouldn't vent with either of those chamberings.

Stunt shot with 243
[Linked Image]

Woooo what a stud buck. Damn............

I'll GLADLY hunt with my 243 anywhere, any day and all day.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by SKane

Stunt shot with 243. Nice buck Scott !!!!!
[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Personally I am hoping that it goes through. I plan on using one of my 300 Savages or my 25/06.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

This is a typical response from someone who cannot address the message but disparages the messenger.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The .44 Magnum is well suited to most Indiana deer hunting situations. Allowing more powerful centerfire calibers I feel will lead to hunters attempting shots beyond their marksmanship capabilities. The greater range of high powered cartridges I feel also carries with it potential danger.

Yet amazingly most of the rest of the country manages to use "high powered cartridges" without people routinely getting shot out of trees and spraying down the countryside attempting shots beyond their marksmanship capabilities. Oh, I forgot, Indiana has rolling farmland. It's certainly unique, there's none of that to be found in the rest of America whistle

What we're left to conclude is that Indiana hunters must be a completely undisciplined bunch that are in danger of going on a rampage once they get their new rifles in their hands, the same rifles that hunters in the rest of the U.S. have managed to use for the last century or so without inducing mass carnage.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a weblog (see my signature) in which I reported fairly early that Indiana had changed its rules for 2015. As a result, Hoosiers have been hammering my weblog for months looking for info on the rule change as well as looking for help picking new deer rifles.

In the feedback I get, the response to the rule change has been about 3:1 in favor, but the opposition has some pretty far out objections.

1) It will ruin private land hunting, because no IN farmer wants centerfire rifle on his place. It will increase the number of No Trespassing signs.
2) The land is too flat. It will be a circular firing squad.
3) Shotguns are safer to operate.
4) It is destroying a tradition.
5) It will kill all the deer

etc.

The funny thing is that I'm a Buckeye that does 100% of his hunting in KY. I really don't have a huge stake in this, but I get a whole lot of flak.

In regards to this whole .223 vs. 243 vs. . . thing: I hunt KY, where .223 is legal-- so is .25 ACP for that matter. Truth is there is not enough interest in .223 to make it a big deal. The guys who shoot .223 REM at deer seem to know what they're doing. They guys who complain about it are all talking hypothetical armchair schoolmarmisms. They don't do it, so no one else should be allowed, blah, blah.

I started a .223 REM-for-deer project about 15 years ago, and frankly I enjoy my ought-sixes so much that I keep forgetting to finish it off. If I ever decide to do it for real, I'm certain from the writings of the folks on this august forum and elsewhere that it will work just fine.

Bottom line: Shotgun-only is wrong. Pistol-Caliber-only is wrong. Any proscription on centerfire chamberings is wrong, and the sooner we do away with them the better.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Yet amazingly most of the rest of the country manages to use "high powered cartridges" without people routinely getting shot out of trees and spraying down the countryside attempting shots beyond their marksmanship capabilities. Oh, I forgot, Indiana has rolling farmland. It's certainly unique, there's none of that to be found in the rest of America whistle

What we're left to conclude is that Indiana hunters must be a completely undisciplined bunch that are in danger of going on a rampage once they get their new rifles in their hands, the same rifles that hunters in the rest of the U.S. have managed to use for the last century or so without inducing mass carnage.

Yep Hoosier's are certainly unique and we can't responsibly handle our fire arms! whistle

S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the feed back from your blog. Interesting stuff.

Another benefit for me if the rule change goes through is that I can stop thinking about buying some land in KY so I can hunt deer with a rifle. I will start looking closer to home.

Scott

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, I did my decision like that back 15 years ago. I picked KY, partially because of the Sunday hunting proscriptions elsewhere and the shotgun-only goofiness. I'm happy with my choice, but if I was starting to look for property in the coming years, I'd be thinking IN as well.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
When I want to hunt with my .257 Roberts or .35 Whelen I go to Kentucky. I have retired the rifled barrel slug gun that I hunted Indiana with for more than 25 years and now hunt with my Ruger 77/44 .44 Magnum.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
gunwizard, If the 257 Roberts or 35 Whelen are too dangerous for Indiana, I would be careful with those severely lethal calibers in Kentucky as well.

But then again the 257 being close in dia. to the 243 probably should be lumped in with the 223 and 243 as well.

Really don't know if we should be doing this hunting thing guys, as it appears to be just too dangerous because of the guns.

gunwizard, just maybe the 44 mag is overkill as well.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by shaman
I have a weblog (see my signature) in which I reported fairly early that Indiana had changed its rules for 2015. As a result, Hoosiers have been hammering my weblog for months looking for info on the rule change as well as looking for help picking new deer rifles.

Final decision is to be made in March of 2015, Interesting you can report the decision so early

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To be honest, my understanding was that this was pretty much a done deal. I had not heard there was significant opposition to hold it up. If the outcome is in doubt, please forward me any information you have. I will do my best to report it fairly.

I have to apologize as well. I reported on the proposed rule change on my weblog, but did not take a huge interest in the matter until the deluge of readers hit. Hoosiers have been pounding my weblog for months now. I looked again yesterday: it would seem support among my readers is now closer to 10 to 1 in favor.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hey jackwagon, I mean Mr. Chainsaw, you need to get your head out of your azz and wipe the chit out of your eyes. Read my replies before you respond, I never said that .257 Roberts or .35 Whelen were too dangerous for Indiana. I do hunt safely and responsibly with those calibers in Kentucky. The .257 Roberts is a deer cartridge, .223 and .243 are varmint cartridges. Never said guns/hunting were too dangerous, nor that .44 Magnum was overkill. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT, learn how to read and interpret what others are saying. I am no less entitled to my opinion than those who feel otherwise like yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It will take a bit of time but using centerfire rifles will change the way Indiana hunters hunt. Generally they will become more precision shooters. I have hunted opening morning in many states over the years that use centerfire rifles. One shot here and there. The scariest morning of my life was my first hunt in Ohio ,at the time it was a slug only state. Sounded like a war. Guys taking multiple shots at every deer. Never seen anything like it. Lead flying everywhere. Some Guys were coming back to the trucks saying they had shot ten to fifteen times. Indiana will be just like every other state that uses centerfire. One shot kills will be the norm not the exception. The fewer follow up shots that are taken the safer the woods will be. We all know those second and third shots are generally on running deer and more likely to be wild than the first.
As to what caliber or rifle I would use ? I would select it depending on where I was hunting and how I was hunting just like i would in any other state. But you cant go wrong with any of the all around standard deer calibers in a bolt action rifle with a 20-24 inch barrel decent scope. But use what you got and enjoy it.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

588 members (22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 59 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,282
Posts18,448,597
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.