Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
See link for all proposed hunting rules and regulations changes.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2362.htm

From the proposed changes:

Allows additional rifles to be used by reducing the bullet size required to .243 and eliminating the maximum rifle cartridge case length. This will allow high-powered rifles such as the .30-30 and .45-70 during the deer firearms seasons. Full metal jacketed bullets would be unlawful because since they do not expand when fired, and therefore, do not kill as humanely.

The acutual proposed regulation makes the minimum legal cartridge a bullet of 0.243 and is longer than 1.16 inches. No specific wording for lever actions, rims etc. FMJ are also specifically banned.

I know we are just into the 2014 season and the rule change is just a proposal but what rifle(s) will you use in 2015?

I will probably use my 35 Indiana (1.8 inch 35 Remington with a longer leade) but have thought about having it re-chambered to 358 Winchester. I am going to pull out the 7x57 and will likely pick up a 30-30 or 35 Remington lever action. Where I hunt, this is all I really need. Should be fun if the proposal goes through.

Scott

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hope it goes through and sent in my comments on the indiana .gov website. My, I'll probably be using my 260 Rem. My then 8yo will probably use the 30-30 if I can find a youth buttstock for it.

If I start feeling mean, I'll crack out the 338 Win Mag... wink

S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I was just watching this auction but could be useful...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=452457702

Pointer, I found my old copy of JB's Medium Medium's article and was looking at some of the deer loads. Might be fun with a 375 H&H deer load.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kudos to Indiana for taking steps in the right direction regarding their firearms regulations. First time I've seen a state admit that modern smokeless muzzleloaders are equivalent to many centerfire rifles. That point is lost on many, unfortunately.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
One of my Savage 99's in 300 Savage

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 358 Hoosier will probably get rechambered to 358 Win for woods hunting. 358 WSSM will go in the classifieds.
Otherwise, I'll use 243AI, 6 creedmoor, 260 or the 6.5 SAUM.
Son 1 will use his youth model 700 in 243.
Son 2 will knock them out with his auto fire nerf guns!!!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I started deer hunting in 1964 with a 20 gauge Ithaca single barrel shotgun, and took my first 2 deer with it. Progressed through an 870 Rem. with with a 28" modified barrel. Then added a smooth more slug barrel,followed by a rifled slug barrel that was pinned to the receiver and a trigger job for a lot of years. If this change goes through the first year I will hunt with an Alexander Arms AR 15 chambered in 6.5 Grendel. After I take a deer with it, I will settle on my favorite 260 Remington for the rest of my deer hunting days. From a single barrel 20 gauge, to a rifle on the AR platform.......only took 50 years....lol.

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.

Thomas Jefferson
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Son 2 will knock them out with his auto fire nerf guns!!!
I don't think the auto fire's are going to be legal, you may have to get him a lever action ! grin

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Probably will use my lever action 45-70 guide gun.

That said, I'm all for certain centerfire calibers to be used, but I live up in NW Indiana, in very flat farm country. I'm a little concerned about the use of unlimited centerfires. Not by responsible hunters, but the opening weekend bubbas that may drive the country roads seeing how far across a section they can kill a whitetail with their 7mm/300 mags. In heavier wooded or hilly sections of Indiana, this may not be an issue. Maybe it won't be up here, but until we get a year or two under our belt, I'm a little concerned.

maddog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
maddog, A handful of us pushed the legislation to take Wisconsin to all rifle use statewide. 2013 was the first year it was implemented. We had one of the safest seasons in 100 years.

Most of the problems had always occurred in the parts of the state that were shotgun areas. These problems went away. No more excessive gunfire reports for the most part, and no shotgun slugs skipping off frozen ground.

Because of reduced recoil, reports of young hunters becoming better marksman was also one of the results. This resulted in fewer shots fired, and less problems reported to the conservation wardens.

The myth of the shotgun being a safer platform is just that, a myth.

Last edited by Chainsaw; 11/18/14.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Any bad reasons to go into bigger rifles? I use a Ruger 44mag. After using a .54 black powder for 33 yrs. and harvesting over 30 deer. Do I need to use a .300 mag?

Last edited by RED53; 11/18/14.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Chainsaw, not disagreeing with you. Been using a 44 mag. for 6 yrs. Haven't used a shotgun in 7 yrs. You may be right. Time will tell.

maddog

S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Kimber7man:

How many steps to make the 358 Hoosier?

I was working on a 358-6.5 Creedmoor and a 358-300 Savage AI before I heard about the proposed rule changes. Both seemed "easier" than the 358 Hoosier from what I have heard. The Creedmoor needed necked up to 308 and 338 prior to 358 and then a trim of about 0.1 inches. Should have same case capacity or a little more than the Hoosier without moving the shoulder. I hadn't gotten as far with the 358-300 Savage AI but I likely wouldn't have been much more than a neck up, trim and fire form. I would have had a case capacity much closer to the 358 Winchester with a shorter neck.

Anyways, hopefully don't matter now!

I necked up a 308 case to 358 and seated a 250 gr Speer Hot Cor. I like the looks...

S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Red:

No absolutely, don't need a 300 WM. But you will have the option if you want.

I am more excited about being able to use more "traditional" deer calibers and rifles. I am picking up a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington this week and have started looking at auctions for Savage 99's. I also like the idea of being able to use my favorite 7x57 that mainly sits in the safe.

I'm not planning on changing my hunting style or location so I won't need or want to shot very far.

I am also hoping we start seeing more rifles at more competitive prices at the LGS.

I suspect we will still see quite a few hunters with their bows, shotguns and smokepoles doing just fine. And that's the way it should be.

Scott

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scott,
358 Hoosier is easy after you cough up the dough for the Hornady dies...
Trim 358 Winchester brass to 1.79", deburr, lube, and run through full length sizing die. Presto, ready to load!

ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
SWJ: They talk about 500 yd shots with a muzzle loader. That would be like hitting a mouse at 50 yds with a .22. One could see the mouse but you can't pick the kill spot.
That would be a rainbow shot for sure.
What concerns me the most is hunters trying for that deer quarter mile away just because their rifle will shoot that far or the hunter that takes the desperation shot at a running target.
I have seen both.
Take a 30-06 semi auto and you will cut down a few saplings and most everything else in it's way.
Indiana does not have the open areas as out west nor the large forest and mountains for backstops. Our southern counties would be more suited for larger rifle calibers but not the flat small farming areas.
I am sure this is a money backed proposal as it has been pushed to the administrative agency to propose and amend the rules.
Pass the buck in more ways than one.
Time will tell but I'm buying more orange....lol

Last edited by RED53; 11/19/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They seem to get by okay in states that are as similarly flat as any part of Indiana with rifles. Desperation shots will be taken by some folks regardless of what guns in their hands. I'm not seeing the falling sky just yet...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Red53, You need to read the Lehigh Valley Study that was commissioned by the State of Pa. and was done at the Piccatinny Arsenal.

I heard the same objections here in Wisconsin and we already had hunters taking rainbow shots with shotguns and having problems.

Our rifle law has now cleared the way for hunters to use whatever they want to hunt with rifle, shotgun, mzldr, handgun or bow. It made things very simple for the Conservation wardens to administer and freed them up to work on other problems.

You are making a problem that doesn't for the most part exist.
As far as freedom goes, like Jefferson said, I'd error on the side of too much than too little. If the anti-gun crowd had their way, they would label your .44 mag as too dangerous and the only acceptable firearm would be a 38-40 moving along at 800 fps. Watch what you wish for.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll continue to use a 44mag rifle. Most(if not all) of my hunting/shooting done under 100yds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The thing I like most about this rule is that we will be able to introduce more youngsters to deer hunting. A youth model 243 with light loads is a heck of a lot more fun for them to shoot than a 20 gauge slug gun...

ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
734 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.