Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm thinking about getting back into reloading. I don't have any pistols right now but might in the future. I don't shoot that much but might shoot more if I reloaded. I want to be able to load bullets that are not loaded in factory rounds.

What do you think is the best setup for the money?

Dan

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Find a used Rockchucker or equivalent on EBay, used. Those things are about bullet proof and if there is a problem, RCBS will fix it free.

You can find dies, scales, etc. also. Be sure to check discount prices on line, so you won't pay too much, which can happen.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's good advice.

You might also look into a "kit", whether from Lee, Lyman, RCBS or Redding. They normally include everything you need to get started (or almost) at much lower price than buying all the stuff separately.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks DF.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
The four-hole Lee Classic turret press is only a few bucks more than a single stage press, and it is a lot faster. I'd get that and a turret plate for each cartridge you reload. In addition:

A couple of different reloading books.
$15 digital calipers from Harbor Freight.
Auto-disk powder measure http://leeprecision.com/powder-handling/automatic-powder-measures/
Adjustable charge bar for powder measure
Double disk kit for powder measure

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you just want to get some shells loaded, and save money get a Lee hand-press kit and a scale. If you decide that you want to upgrade later you can throw away everything but the funnel and you're still not out much. You don't even need a bench.

If you are a little more sure that this is something you want to do there are many kits of better quality. RCBS is as good a brand as any.

A friend got a smoking deal on a used RCBS press awhile back and pieced together the other things he needed. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he spent more than a starter kit by the time he was done but I did help him set everything up and get going.

I wish there were starter kits when I started.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The Lee Hand Press is a neat gadget, for sure. I got one to seat bullets at the range. It may be a chore to FL size big, tough cases, however. For most rounds, it should work well without much investment.

I found mine on EBay. You may think I'm pimping EBay. Just happened to work out that way. I don't really like EBay because of their liberal anti gun policies, but a deal is a deal.

DF

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That's good advice.

You might also look into a "kit", whether from Lee, Lyman, RCBS or Redding. They normally include everything you need to get started (or almost) at much lower price than buying all the stuff separately.

Ditto! PLUS, dont forget to pick up at least a couple reloading manuals. Lymans current book is very good. Even older manuals are very good for loading information and many times much cheaper to pick up online, or from a buddy already reloading.

dave

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I got mine to load .458 Win Mag rounds when I couldn't fly enough ammo to Australia for a buffalo cull. I could fly all the bullets and brass I wanted though and buy powder and primers at that end.

I could have ended up in a thigh-master commercial, but it did work. It cost so little that I left it behind for next time, but since it made its money back in the first 1/2 box of shells who cares? I'll likely get another one to load at the range or leave at the cabin.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I bought a Rockchukar in 1974, it's the only reloading press that I have ever owned.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Freddy
I bought a Rockchukar in 1974, it's the only reloading press that I have ever owned.

I, too, bought a '74 Rockchucker, but it was my third press (I been at this for a while). My first, in the '60's, was a huge, black cast iron Herters press. It worked fine, later went down the road. My second was a RCBS Jr. My son now has it. My latest press was a Redding Big Boss II. I like it for decapping, because the primers fall thru the ram into a plastic tube. I think the Lee Classic has a similar set up. I never did like RCBS primer trays. Seems primers were always bouncing out and falling on the floor. Otherwise, the Rockchucker is as good as the Big Boss.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just a note that some (not all) reloading kits include a current manual.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For around $125 you can get a Lee Breech Lock Challenger Kit with their hand primer. It's an aluminum press but will work fine and has everything you need to get started. Once you know what you're doing, there is no reason why you can't load better than factory ammo on that setup.

For $100 more you can get a Classic Turret Press kit that is a much better press and adds speed, but that kit will need to add another $45 or so for the hand primer, so just buy the Classic Turret separately when you want it and you'll have two presses and a hand primer for the same money.

That's $100 more of free stuff. Two presses is handy to have, for example, I have a single stage press dedicated just for decapping.

Either of those options is very inexpensive for good quality tools that will produce top-quality and better than factory ammo if the reloader does his part.

My Forster press cost more than that.

Some of their kits will come with Lee's manual.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 64 invisible), 3,044 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.