Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Finally decided to start reloading my own ammo, prompted mainly by the scarcity of .257 Roberts ammo around my area, and the urge to shoot more while saving some money also. Three different rifle calibers to start, maybe some pistol ammo much later on (with a different press).

Since I don't know any shooting buddies that reload, what's the best way for me to learn by myself? I've finally accumulated all of the equipment I need to get going, including: a Forster Co-Ax press; Redding Seaters & FL dies; Lee collet dies, RCBS 10-10 scale: RCBS Uniflow; and other assorted items and supplies.

So what do you guys recommend for safely learning to reload? Books, videos, YouTube, or what? Any specific ones out there that I should use? Thanks.

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Read as much as you can. The Lyman manual is a favorite of mine and since I shoot Hornady and Nosler bullets almost exclusively, I have their current manuals also. Youtube is also a great place to watch videos of setup and operation. One of the first things you will notice is that the manuals do not agree on powder choices, velocity, and loads. Not surprising since they are using different rifles and often different bullets. Go slow and build your confidence as you gain experience.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I recommend reading whatever you can get your hands on, but I think the best way, hands down, is to get a mentor who knows handloading to help you in the beginning. Tricks and techniques can be exchanged, questions can be answered, options explained, safety insured. There's got to be a fire member who could do this in your area.

I know if you lived near me, I'd jump at the chance to share what I know and assist you on your learning curve! I love this stuff, and my random free moments are filled with studying and pondering it. I'm not a gunsmith, or an expert on guns, but I've been studying reloading for 4/5 of my life. There must be someone near you that would also find much joy in simply mentoring a beginner!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Check out GunWerks YouTube vids they will help and read all you can about seating and what to look for with pressure signs. Read up on trimming,primers,powders, everything. It would be nice to have a mentor to show you.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I agree completely with huntnshoot. Reading is great but if you can find someone who will spend an hour or two with you, you'll learn a lot quickly. Perhaps you have a sportsmans club in your area who has some guys who reload. I'd work really hard on finding someone to come over and show you the ropes.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I recommend reading whatever you can get your hands on, but I think the best way, hands down, is to get a mentor who knows handloading to help you in the beginning. Tricks and techniques can be exchanged, questions can be answered, options explained, safety insured. There's got to be a fire member who could do this in your area.

I know if you lived near me, I'd jump at the chance to share what I know and assist you on your learning curve! I love this stuff, and my random free moments are filled with studying and pondering it. I'm not a gunsmith, or an expert on guns, but I've been studying reloading for 4/5 of my life. There must be someone near you that would also find much joy in simply mentoring a beginner!

Agree 100%...

Try and find a mentor...it will cut your learning curve dramatically....

on the other hand, if you go on your own and learn to do it by yourself, you'll embrace a lot of frustration with screw ups...

but that also can be the best teacher you can find...

I had no mentor and learned it all on my own...but I am glad I did...

but a mentor who really knows his stuff can worth his weight in gold...one who doesn't know that much? well it will still cut your learning curve, having the counsel or someone who's been there and done that...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try and find a mentor...it will cut your learning curve dramatically....

I agree, but that is not always possible. I learned by reading, mostly the Lyman reloading book, and asking questions on the old Shooters site and here, after Shooters went belly up. There used to be a lot of people here with extensive knowledge that would help people. I think they and others are still here and will help, just like they used to do. Jump in, ask questions, and be very careful. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i'm fairly new myself and read the books.I had a guy that worked with me knew reloading but talked about hot loads and compressed loads a little too much for my flavor but he still was able to teach me quit a bit.I just researched alot and picked middle of the road loads for safety and it worked fine.Be a wary of the new reloader that is an expert.I've meet a few.Might want to try your local sportsman clubs.Most anybody that does reload will make time to help a person learning.

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The introductory material in loading manuals is a very good friend to a beginning handloader. Buy a couple of manuals from the bigger name powder/bullet manufacturers, and read the introductory material thoroughly!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All good.

Everyone forgets about the "sticky" threads on this page. Read them

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Midway's Larry Potterfield has several online videos about reloading, check them out as he leads you thru the entire reloading process step by step. Reloading manuals can get pretty pricey, borrow one from a friend who is a reloader to check them out. Once you have decided which manual you're comfortable with, check eBay as sometimes reloading manuals can be purchased for significantly less used. I have purchased nearly all of my reloading equipment on the secondary market. I try not to pay more than half retail, reloading is a great hobby but you can sink an awful lot into equipment.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for all of the advice. Pretty sure I'll be going it alone, so the "words of wisdom" will be helpful. Bet it's kind of nerve racking when it's time to fire the first reload.......

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Blacktails
Bet it's kind of nerve racking when it's time to fire the first reload.......

I'm about to find out. crazy I decided to start reloading right at a year ago. I spent the spring and summer gradually gathering manuals, supplies, equipment, building a bench and reading. Lots of reading. By reading the techniques in different manuals (hard copy and online) you can kind of get a general consensus on any given topic. Good luck!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If you live near any of the gunsmithing schools, the NRA offers summer classes lasting a week or so. One of the classes features reloading, would be a great opportunity to learn hands--on from a professional instructor. Also I have a friend that works for Federal ammunition, he talked about conducting reloading seminars. Might want to check that out too. Gander Mountain sometimes conducts in-store classes that feature reloading. If you are serious about learning to reload, there are lots of resources out there you just have to do some research.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Finally decided to start reloading my own ammo, prompted mainly by the scarcity of .257 Roberts ammo around my area, and the urge to shoot more while saving some money also. Three different rifle calibers to start, maybe some pistol ammo much later on (with a different press).

Since I don't know any shooting buddies that reload, what's the best way for me to learn by myself? I've finally accumulated all of the equipment I need to get going, including: a Forster Co-Ax press; Redding Seaters & FL dies; Lee collet dies, RCBS 10-10 scale: RCBS Uniflow; and other assorted items and supplies.

So what do you guys recommend for safely learning to reload? Books, videos, YouTube, or what? Any specific ones out there that I should use? Thanks.

Buy and read Hornady's reloading manual. Twice.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for all of the advice. Pretty sure I'll be going it alone, so the "words of wisdom" will be helpful. Bet it's kind of nerve racking when it's time to fire the first reload.......

But it's fun. wink

I remember my very first .38 Special reloads assembled with an old Lee Loader. I stuck the Ruger Blackhawk out in front of me, turned my head away from it and covered my face and head as well as possible with the other arm, pulled the trigger and it went bang! And lo and behold, the gun was in one piece and I was still alive. That was 46 years ago and it's been a great hobby ever since. grin

Just use some common sense, stay focused on what you're doing at the loading bench and you'll do fine.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Making safe and shootable ammunition on your own is not rocket science. Read a lot, follow instructions and pay attention to what you are doing and you will be fine. The fine points of reloading will come with time and experience. I also like Hornady's manual for instruction.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

714 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 3,092 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,963
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.