Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
For mounting actions, bases and rings...which torque wrench is better: Wheeler Fat Handle or Weaver?

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have both, and prefer the Weaver.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Can't speak to the quality of the Weaver, but have had a Fat Wrench for a couple of years and it has been excellent. I checked it against a $300+ wrench and it was within 1/2 inch pound after about a year and a half of use. One of the better $45 or $50 I've spent on gun accessories.
John

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

I've used them all and none are in the same league as the Wiha.

http://www.kctoolco.com/wiha-adjustable-torquevario-10-50-in-lbs-p/28506.htm

You will need this quarter inch adapter.

http://www.kctoolco.com/wiha-bit-holder-adaptor-blade-for-1-4-bits-p/28581.htm

[/quote]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have no doubt the Wiha is in a league of its own. For the money, it ought to be. For my occasional uses, the Weaver works just fine, and has for the five years I have had it.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Has anyone ever sent their Wheeler Fat Wrench back for calibration ? My nut un-screwed and I just tightened it back up. Not sure if it's accurate.

Ken

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the Fat Wrench, but I also have a Borka; Google it and see what you think.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone tested any of these wrenches against a calibrated device to see how accurate and repeatable they are?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I know I have not, and I am sure its not entirely accurate. What I am sure of, though, is that it is fairly consistent. I feel that more than an exact amount of force applied, it is important that the force be consistent and repeatable.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How do you know that its consistent and repeatable?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have checked it, out of nothing more than pure curiosity, against fasteners that I torqued with this exact driver on previous occasions. Accurate? Hardly...but enough so for my purposes.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Dixie_Rebel: For "actions" I much prefer my Snap-On inch/pounds torque wrench.
For "rings and bases" I use my Wheeler.
I am not familiar with the Weaver as yet.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If its not accurate then I don't see what the point is. Testing an unproven device against another unproven device (itself) doesn't prove anything does it?

I'd be happy to calibrate that wrench for you. Send it to me and I'll create a cal-sheet for it and send it back. Along with repeatability test. Won't take long in my instrumentation lab.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 4th_point
If its not accurate then I don't see what the point is. Testing an unproven device against another unproven device (itself) doesn't prove anything does it?

I'd be happy to calibrate that wrench for you. Send it to me and I'll create a cal-sheet for it and send it back. Along with repeatability test. Won't take long in my instrumentation lab.

It proves that its doing the same thing it did last time, which is what I am after.

I appreciate the offer, but I am not sure its worth the time and trouble for a $60 wrench...is it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No trouble on my part. I have calibrated fixtures at work. I test my torque wrenches on them that I use for automotive work. If that wrench you have tests well, I might buy one for my range bag. Just a data point for me, and calibration for you.

If the device is "hardly" accurate, and not "worth the time" to test, why use it? I sure as hell wouldn't pay $60 for something I have that little confidence in.

The offer was sincere. I'm interested in seeing how it does and would be happy to test it. Same goes for the other makes/models mentioned.

Jason

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Hmm...now you got me thinking. I have actually been hunting for a reason to splurge on the Wiha...

If the Weaver is an inaccurate POS, then there is my reason, if its good to go, no reason to at all.

Shoot me an address, and I just may ship it off to you. You have piqued my interest.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ideally we'd get others to send the Wheeler and Wiha too. I could test all of them and report the results. Single samples of each, but better than nothing.

PM on the way.

Last edited by 4th_point; 11/18/14.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My Wheeler is out on long term loan, I will see if I can snag it back.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No experience with the Weaver but nuther guy here that's happy with the Wheeler FAT wrench so far after just 20 or so scope mountings. But it seems built to last a while hopefully it will.

Last edited by Salty303; 11/18/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
imho,
Seekonk adjustable torque screwdriver...

http://www.seekonk.com/Cat-46-1-33/adjustable-slip-type-torque-screwdriver.htm

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Always wanted the Borka

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

4th point, shoot me your address and I'll send you a wheeler.

The Wiha comes with a certification of calibration with test data included. Its good to go.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
imho,
Seekonk adjustable torque screwdriver...

http://www.seekonk.com/Cat-46-1-33/adjustable-slip-type-torque-screwdriver.htm

Regards, Matt.

That has always been a very very good brand of tool.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Seekonk beam type wrench

This one is a winner. I have a wheeler and I usually set the torque below what spec sheets say because I simply don't trust screwdriver torque wrenches. I only bought it because it at least provides consistent tightening.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I use a Borka and it seems to work well, but I still have to trust the manufacturer!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ctsmith, liliysdad,

Looks like we can compare the Weaver, Wheeler, and a 1/4" Armstrong from a member in Oregon. I'll get a hold of you and see what we can arrange.

Thanks,

Jason

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Seems like I got my torque wrench from a guy off snipershide. Everyone there raved about them so I got that one instead. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Good on you for testing these wrenches. I will definitely keep an eye on this post for your results. A good way to separate the facts from the hot air. Thanks.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
4th point,
That is an awesome thing you are doing. I have been searching for a torque wrench, but I am too poor to spend $60 on an unreliable one... and too cheap to pay more for a certified one smile.
May need to borrow one, haha.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fwiw,
Does someone here work for a torque certification/standards laboratory? Short of that it seems difficult to see what is going to be obtained that a factory certified tool does not already bring to the party.

Better price...

http://www.protorquetools.com/prod-18-1-1113/seekonk-mcx-adjustable-slip-type-torque-screwdriver.htm

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I'm very pleased with my Borka.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Gentlemen: Again we have left out the obvious. Brownells.

Brownells has been listing an adjustable T handle torque screwdriver for the last few years that would seem to have all that is needed for gun work. It has a range of settings that is just right for both scope mounting, and action tightening repeatability. Most of those that you have listed would do for rings and bases, but not for action screws. I've seen action screws torques quoted to be around 60 inch pounds. I've kept looking at low value torque wrenches, and think that my 3/8 drive Craftsman with a 1/4 inch socket and the correct screwdriver bit in is all that I need.

Does anyone have a Brownell's T Handle that we can have checked?

I don't think I'd bother to spend my money on a cheap Wheeler. Too much like buying a used barrel, and having someone else rethread and chamber it.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I dont see an adjustable T-handle torque driver at Brownells. I see Seekonk presets, a Brownells Preset, and a Warne Preset.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jason,

I use mostly Seekonk presets. I would think that any measuring instruments (other than steel tapes, rulers, etc,) need to be calibrated on a regular basis. I have a nice collection of the Seekonk preset wrenches that will only tighten a fastener to one value (20 inch/lb only, 15 inch lb only...etc. again) that I have been buying over the years. They're danged expensive given that each wench will tighten a fastener to only one preset torque value.

Should I have those calibrated?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want to send them, I can do it. I'll cover return shipping with insurance. All I ask is that we can share the results with everyone.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jason,

Thanks! I have no problem sharing the results with the board.

Ralph

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Matt,

I work for an ISO 9001 certified manufacturer. All of our equipment is calibrated and we have dedicated fixtures just for torque wrenches. Calibrating them is standard procedure for us.

Jason

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And no offense, but I wouldn't trust ANY torque device based on the manufacturer's claim or calibration. It goes on the cal fixture no matter what grin

Put another way, ISO would not allow us to trust the claims. They'd yank our certification for such foolishness grin Your car/truck is assembled with calibrated torque devices, meeting ISO certification. They don't rely on supplier claims either.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 11/20/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first career was in aviation and all of the torque wrenches we used had to be laboratory calibrated and certified on an annual basis.

Whether this applies or not ... I don't know. It is an apples to oranges comparison because of the different types.

In all the shops I worked in we used Snap-On/Blue Point ratcheting click torque wrenches and only once did a torque wrench fail to be within specs/calibration and require repairs.

Buy good stuff and have confidence. Torque wrenches that are factory calibrated and certified are calibrated and meet FAA requirements until a new certification is required. To put it into perspective you could send a torque wrench to Snap-On, have it factory calibrated and certified, and it would satisfy FAA requirements.

Last edited by fish head; 11/20/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ours get calibrated/certified once per year, and checked on calibrated fixtures before each use. When you check one out, you confirm that the setting you expect to use is accurate. Then after the job, you can double check.

I've seen several fail including Snap-On.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah. You're right, I'm wrong.

The only way to ensure a fastener is torqued correctly and meets a very high standard (FAA requirements) is to check it on a calibrated fixture, for that torque setting, before and after each and every use.

I'm just guessing at this chit. grin

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
It is EXTREMELY important to understand the difference between corporations which need to follow, say, ISO 9001 or whatever else set of procedures such corporations want (or must) to follow, and individual users of torque tools. In order to pass audits, corporations must renew stickers attached to tools every year (or two years, or whatever), even if these tools were not used at all. Which means doing calibrations, certifications, etc. no matter if it makes technical or practical sense at all. It's all about paperwork and formal compliance with regulations, and some of these regulations are nothing but waste of time. Had a lot of experience with all that stuff...

On the other hand, individuals have no need whatsoever to do the same things, individuals are not obligated to follow ISO procedures, have any "approved" type of paperwork, and can afford, which is really great, just use common sense. Which often does not dictate any need for annual calibration if torque tools are not used a lot. And because torque tools for firearms applications, limited to individuals, are hand tools, which means they are, very likely, not being used a lot (who, realistically, not being a busy gunsmith or somebody involved in manufacturing, is using torque tool 1,000s times a year?), all this obsession with need for calibration of torque tools, owned by individuals for their private use, looks a bit funny to me. The only practical case for calibration of privately owned torque tool is just to make sure that such tool is actually matching claimed torque output, if tool owner has a justified suspicion that it may be an issue.

Last edited by Mishka; 11/21/14.
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I use an expensive Norbar 1/4" torque wrench which is accurate to 4%, only because I've had it for years. I can't see why either the Wheeler or Weaver is just as good as any out there for scope ring torqueing. It's not a critical application. Lubricating the screws is important though as dry screws will give high readings when they not properly torqued.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have two Nasco fixed torque drivers: a 22"lb and a 40"lb. These two cover most of my needs, the smaller 22 for tightening scope rings and the 40 for attaching rings to bases and torqueing receiver action screws. The drivers seem well made and even have a piece of paper certifying their accuracy. I suppose over time, the settings can gradually change and thus benefit from recalibration, but I haven't bothered to do so.

I also own an adjustable torque driver from Northern Tool. It seems to work OK, but I can't speak to its accuracy or repeatability.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mishka
It is EXTREMELY important to understand the difference between corporations which need to follow, say, ISO 9001 or whatever else set of procedures such corporations want (or must) to follow, and individual users of torque tools. In order to pass audits, corporations must renew stickers attached to tools every year (or two years, or whatever), even if these tools were not used at all. Which means doing calibrations, certifications, etc. no matter if it makes technical or practical sense at all. It's all about paperwork and formal compliance with regulations, and some of these regulations are nothing but waste of time. Had a lot of experience with all that stuff...

On the other hand, individuals have no need whatsoever to do the same things, individuals are not obligated to follow ISO procedures, have any "approved" type of paperwork, and can afford, which is really great, just use common sense. Which often does not dictate any need for annual calibration if torque tools are not used a lot. And because torque tools for firearms applications, limited to individuals, are hand tools, which means they are, very likely, not being used a lot (who, realistically, not being a busy gunsmith or somebody involved in manufacturing, is using torque tool 1,000s times a year?), all this obsession with need for calibration of torque tools, owned by individuals for their private use, looks a bit funny to me. The only practical case for calibration of privately owned torque tool is just to make sure that such tool is actually matching claimed torque output, if tool owner has a justified suspicion that it may be an issue.

Finally......somebody said it.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by zeissman
I use an expensive Norbar 1/4" torque wrench which is accurate to 4%, only because I've had it for years. I can't see why either the Wheeler or Weaver is just as good as any out there for scope ring torqueing. It's not a critical application. Lubricating the screws is important though as dry screws will give high readings when they not properly torqued.

If one lubes the threads of a fastener then the torque needs to be decreased. If you lube the threads on a ring-cap screw and tighten it to the specs given by the manufacturer you will be over-torquing the screw. I researched this subject after it was mentioned in a thread. If you Google it, you can find tables that give you dry-torque values and the corresponding lubed-torque values.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I agree totally with the above post. Certain uses don't require perpetual calibration.
My expectation, more than actual accurate numbers within 0.05% of claimed, is that whatever setting I pick for action torquing remains accurate the next time I take it apart and put it back one. I guess if you use it 1000 times a year it may need to be recalibrated.
I may be wrong, as I have been that one time in my life :), but ISO 9001 means certification of accuracy and standarization, so that someone in Japan can get repeatable results with someone in the Polynesian islands and someone in Subsaharan Africa. Does not mean that not having ISO9001 is bad, it just means you can't be totally sure.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
By the way, I think 4th poit offer is not to criticize Wheeler, Weaver, Brownells or any other brand, just a scientific test and offer to dispel myth, provide information and see what they are all about.
It is up to the consumer to decide what they will purchase, or not, based on the findings.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
tag

BE STRONG IN THE LORD, AND IN HIS MIGHTY POWER. ~ Ephesians 6:10

Socialism is a philosophy of failure,
the creed of ignorance,
and the gospel of envy,
its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
--Winston Churchill

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sponxx
By the way, I think 4th poit offer is not to criticize Wheeler, Weaver, Brownells or any other brand, just a scientific test and offer to dispel myth, provide information and see what they are all about.
It is up to the consumer to decide what they will purchase, or not, based on the findings.

That's right Sponxx.

I just offered to test torque wrenches for people since I have the equipment handy and am interested in the results. The owners get data for their wrench, and the rest of us get to see how the different makes/models compare. Maybe the Weaver and Wheeler are accurate and repeatable. Maybe they aren't. The only way we'll know is to test them. Same goes for a $180 wrench. Let's see how they do.

Nobody in this thread ever said that ISO certification is needed for a wrench for their scope mounting. I just made a genuine offer to test a wrench for some people and others rant about ISO. Wow! Now my feelers are hurt! Can I file a report with Rick?

I have the equipment to test the wrenches. On calibrated equipment, in an ISO certified facility. This just gives us a little confidence in the data we get. Rather than some unknown, uncalibrated measurement device.

Jason

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Or we could just trust that Wanda had a good day in the factory and actually did her job calibrating our favorite brand of torque wrench. Or is it Pham, who has never seen a rifle or scope in her life? Who cares if its off by 10%, right? 10 minutes until lunch.

We've had all brands of torque wrenches schit-the-bed at work. Latest one for me was a 1/4" Snap-On. It was off by 20%.

On the other hand, I've seen several 1/2" wrenches from Harbor Freight do just fine. Good enough for casual use in the backyard garage for things like lug nuts. But its easy for us to check them periodically. I'd be more selective if I was rebuilding an engine though.

So if you're shopping for a wrench to use for scope mounting, you must be concerned with accuracy and repeatability. Especially for such dinky hardware. Too loose, and your rings/mounts may detach. Too tight, and you could crush a scope tube or affect tracking. Some say that they don't care if its accurate, just repeatable. Well, how do you know this?

I ask this because I've had several fish scales, kitchen scales, bathroom scales, etc. and they are not that accurate or repeatable. What makes someone think that a torque wrench is any different? Wanda or Pham did an uber-job that day, just for you!? And how can you make such a statement without data to back it up?

Paying more money might help ensure accuracy and repeatability.

Or just test them and see how they do. I'd rather do this.

J

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

If one lubes the threads of a fastener then the torque needs to be decreased. If you lube the threads on a ring-cap screw and tighten it to the specs given by the manufacturer you will be over-torquing the screw. I researched this subject after it was mentioned in a thread. If you Google it, you can find tables that give you dry-torque values and the corresponding lubed-torque values.

You're quite correct. I always thought it was the other way around but Googled the tables as you suggested and about a 25% reduction in torque values should be applied to oiled screws.

Thanks for the information.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Good on you for the offer, 4th point. I'm interested in results myself. My torque wrench of choice came with a certificate of calibration. Could it be wrong? Yes. In fairness though, I have no more reason to believe in your ability to check these instruments than Wanda or Pham.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Wheeler FAT and Weaver adjustable torque screwdrivers accuracy rely on linear characteristics of the spring, which loads torque limiting clutch. They have identical principal design, with Weaver having a bit longer spring, which, both theoretically and practically, is a better way to ensure tool accuracy in mass production (1) and to make adjustment scale a bit longer for better readability by the user (2).

Initial adjustment (or calibration) is done at the factory for only ONE specific torque setting, typically the one in the middle of torque adjustment range. Accuracy within the whole adjustment range then depends upon linear characteristics of the spring, and nothing can be done about it. Typically, spring rate is found to be linear and may be reliably "synchronized" with adjustment scale if active spring load is between 20% and 80% of the maximum spring load. Which means that adjustable torque screwdriver may have decent accuracy if it is used for outputting the torque with adjustment ratio of 1 to 4 (from 20% to 80%) or so.

Wheeler FAT has an adjustment ratio of 10 to 60 inch-lbs. (1 to 6 ratio), Weaver has theoretically less favorable adjustment ratio of 10 inch-lbs. to 80 inch-lbs. ( 1 to 8 ratio), but has longer scale and slightly better scale resolution than FAT.

In my opinion, Weaver branded adjustable torque screwdriver supplied by Da-Jiun Co. from Taiwan is overall better made than Wheeler branded tool made in China (not sure which company in China makes this one).

Harbor Freight (from China) wrench with 20 to 200 inch-lbs. torque adjustment provides ratio of 1:10, which is really "pushing it" above proven technology,so do not expect any miracles of accuracy at low and high torque settings with that HF product.

Initial factory calibration to a single torque setting in the middle of the adjustment range, which is likely matches 45-50% of the spring load, is done with use of shim washers, which are typically custom made and installed during tool assembly at the factory.

Repeatability, in general, is ensured by the quality of parts used for assembly. If parts of the torque limiting clutch and spring itself are of high quality, means these parts are made from good materials/properly heat treated, then tool parts wear will be minimized to acceptable levels and repeatability will be preserved over considerable period of time. Repeatability also depends how well the tools user can see the scale markings and the scale pointer, which is, naturally, a subjective factor.

To summarize - adjustable torque screwdrivers like Wheeler FAT and Weaver can be re-calibrated, but only for ONE specific torque setting within the whole adjustment range. However, such re-calibration requires the use of the custom parts (shim washers), which are not likely to be easily obtainable by the individual owner of the tool or even by the test lab. This is because these shim washers, being of proprietary design, are not likely to be available from industrial supply companies like McMaster Carr and others.

These adjustable screwdrivers can be, of course, also checked (verified) for various torque settings within the range. If results of verification shows that torque output matches adjustment scale, say, in the middle of the range and does not match the scale at both ends of the same scale within claimed deviation, say, of no more than +/-6%, nothing can be done about it.

If parts used for torque limiting mechanism lack quality, repeatability will go to hell after some relatively short use, and nothing can be done about it.

And testing, say, of 10 adjustable screwdrivers, either Wheeler FAT or Wheeler, is not going to determine that, say, the other 100,000 of them are good or not, these tools are massed produced in Asia, where quality is typically hit or miss depending upon specific batch of tools. BTW, this happens not just with Asia made products, I've seen it done by some U.S. suppliers as well, but, statistically, on a lesser scale.

Yes, you can send your particular tool to test lab, but results of such test may not give sufficient info to determine which of the two tool brands is "better". In addition, results of such test may not help at all to fix potential issues with accuracy and repeatability, if any are found.

In my opinion, if testing is done without having an option to fix potential issues, it's useless waste of time. To make everything more practical and less stressful, just buy quality tools.

Last edited by Mishka; 11/21/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by drano 25
Good on you for the offer, 4th point. I'm interested in results myself. My torque wrench of choice came with a certificate of calibration. Could it be wrong? Yes. In fairness though, I have no more reason to believe in your ability to check these instruments than Wanda or Pham.

You're making it way too complicated. If you can tighten a nut with a wrench and read a display, you could do it. That is, to read the actual torque value vs the torque wrench.

I don't plan to re-cal anyone's wrench for them though.

Last edited by 4th_point; 11/21/14.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

You're quite correct. I always thought it was the other way around but Googled the tables as you suggested and about a 25% reduction in torque values should be applied to oiled screws.

Thanks for the information.

Yes sir, anytime!

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

I don't plan to re-cal anyone's wrench for them though.

Very honest answer of yours.

So, let's assume you get somebody's torque tool, use your company's equipment to find out that this somebody's tool is, unfortunately, no good, and give the bad news to the owner of the tool.

Then, what is, in your opinion, a type of corrective action which the owner of the tool can implement next, technically speaking? For example, tool owner may complain to the tool seller that torque tool is no good and demand refund or replacement, but unless tool owner gets some kind of paperwork from you to back up the claim, tool seller is likely going to disregard the claim. Will you be providing industry standard certificate of calibration per ISO 6789 to the tool owner?

Last edited by Mishka; 11/22/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Re-setting the tool if it reads incorrectly would void the warranty.

I don't know what the warranty is for the Wheeler or Weaver. Others like the Wiha mentioned earlier will have a full tool warranty. I suspect that cheap wrenches would just get pitched in the trash if they were really bad.

Post the ISO 6789 standard and let's look it over.

Jason

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
i, for one, hope you get the opportunity to check several brands and look forward to your findings

vires,fortitudo,vigilantia
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Jason,

if you do torque tools calibrations, you must, by procedure, follow ISO 6789 and therefore, should be familiar with basic provisions of this document, related paperwork and how certificate of calibration should look like. Obviously, there is no need to post it here, as it would take lots of space, and, as you know well, any ISO document is really boring to read for anybody who is not deeply involved, by occupation, into this kind of stuff. Here is, however, a hint for you - certificate of calibration included, for example, with Wheeler FAT wrench does not comply at all with ISO 6789 requirements, and, therefore, from both legal and technical point of view, is not a valid certificate of calibration or even, validation of the tool. Does not mean Wheeler FAT wrench is somehow all that bad, just means that attached paperwork is no good and is not proving anything about the tool itself by just being included with the tool.

What is the specific, in your opinion, criteria for "cheap wrenches" to be really that bad that they should be pitched in a trash?

I do feel you have certain knowledge related to torque tools calibration, and agree with some of your statements, that's why I'm interested in what you got to say...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Tag

Look forward to findings

Double_D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jason,

if you do torque tools calibrations, you must, by procedure, follow ISO 6789 and therefore, should be familiar with basic provisions of this document, related paperwork and how certificate of calibration should look like. Obviously, there is no need to post it here, as it would take lots of space, and, as you know well, any ISO document is really boring to read for anybody who is not deeply involved, by occupation, into this kind of stuff. Here is, however, a hint for you - certificate of calibration included, for example, with Wheeler FAT wrench does not comply at all with ISO 6789 requirements, and, therefore, from both legal and technical point of view, is not a valid certificate of calibration or even, validation of the tool. Does not mean Wheeler FAT wrench is somehow all that bad, just means that attached paperwork is no good and is not proving anything about the tool itself by just being included with the tool.

What is the specific, in your opinion, criteria for "cheap wrenches" to be really that bad that they should be pitched in a trash?

I do feel you have certain knowledge related to torque tools calibration, and agree with some of your statements, that's why I'm interested in what you got to say...

What is the point of your posts? To debate over semantics, or expound on your great knowledge of calibration?!

How about a friendly discussion and offer to test some common tools to help others make a buying decision?

If you want to turn this into an ISO pissing match, start by posting the standard.

Jason

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mishka,

Better yet, since you are the resident torque tool calibration expert I suggest we send all torque wrenches to you.

What do you say?

Jason

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mishka,

So far we have:

qty = 1, Wheeler
qty = 1, Weaver
qty = 1, Armstrong

Look forward to the findings, if you are up for it.

Jason

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cropslx
Seems like I got my torque wrench from a guy off snipershide. Everyone there raved about them so I got that one instead. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head.

It's a Borka; I've got one...love it.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Mishka,

So far we have:

qty = 1, Wheeler
qty = 1, Weaver
qty = 1, Armstrong

Look forward to the findings, if you are up for it.

Jason

Jason,

ISO 6789 is easy found by using Google. To help you get to it even quicker, w/o you spending any time for typing "ISO 6789" in a search bar, here is one of many links:

http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=29929

O.K., I think I got it - in your opinion, because I supposedly know too much about torque tools being discussed here, I should not reply to your posts. No problem, Jason, I was just curious about technical side of your kind offer to test other people's tools. Sorry for asking questions and trying to communicate with you, it should have never happened. My mistake.

So far, you came up with initiative to test other people's tools. Your latest idea of delegating the execution of your initiative to me is very much appreciated, but I got to refuse. It's all yours, you got it all figured out and you should certainly stick with your idea and plan as originally offered to participants of this interesting discussion.

Wishing you good luck with testing, and I'm looking forward to your findings, and even more important, your conclusions about three brands of torque tools mentioned above.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
By all means, take the reins Mishka.

Please tell us how to run the test.

Jason

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
By all means, take the reins Mishka.

Please tell us how to run the test.

Jason

Jason,

Are you saying now that you're not sure how to run the test? Then why did you offer to run the test yourself in the first place? One of your posts indicated that you know it very well, something like take the wrench, tighten the nut and look at the monitor, right?

Anyway, now that you have a direct link to download of ISO 6789, which is 15 pages, I see no reason whatsoever to personally read this document to you or post all 15 pages here.

I suggest you stop paying any attention to me personally, and start testing various brands of torque tools, as you've offered to other people. I promise not to ask you any more silly questions, which appears to distract you from executing your initiative, and will not be sharing any more of my personal knowledge on the subject, so that it would not irritate you any more. As I said, it's all yours, my friend, I'm out...

Just post your findings and conclusions, when you're done. We're interested to hear from you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're not getting off the hook so easy with your hit-n-run attacks. Spill the frijoles with the test plan. Or are you just going to go around and around with your pointless posts?

You stated that you're an expert with torque measurement devices and repeatedly quoted the ISO standard.

Let's see it.

Last edited by 4th_point; 11/22/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just so I get this straight...

1. Mishka is a torque measurement expert.

2. Yet Mishka doesn't want to help test the tools we've discussed.

3. And Mishka has no advice on the testing.

Am I missing anything? Where did my troll detector go? I thought I had it a moment ago.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
...We're interested to hear from you.

No, we're interested in determining if our torque wrenches are accurate. You're interested in stirring up schitt and I wish you'd stop. If you continue Jason may decide not to kindly help us out as he has offered initially. That'd piss a lot of folks off.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Just so I get this straight...

1. Mishka is a torque measurement expert.

2. Yet Mishka doesn't want to help test the tools we've discussed.

3. And Mishka has no advice on the testing.

Am I missing anything? Where did my troll detector go? I thought I had it a moment ago.

Jason, unfortunately, you got nothing straight.

1. I never said I'm an expert. You have to provide reference to prove that I specifically mentioned myself as being an expert. If you made this conclusion by yourself, it's your choice.

2. I never said I'm willing or interested to help. In fact, I can not help, I have no necessary equipment(1) and free time to do it for fun (2). When my business needs something related to torque tools tested, I send it to specialized testing lab, and I pay for the service, and it's not cheap. They do it in accordance with ISO 6789, like everybody else in torque tools testing business. This is all I know about testing. My primary business in in torque tools design and manufacturing, and testing is always being outsourced. According to your posts, you know much more, than I do, about testing, as tou personally do it all the time. So, I conclude that you got to be an expert, not me.

3. I can not give you advice on testing, except a friendly suggestion to familiarize yourself with ISO 6789, which, to my knowledge, is used by professional testers, so that your findings are supported, desirably, by some kind of commonly used procedure. What's wrong with this particular advice? However, if you think ISO 6789 set of procedures is of no importance, and do not want to use ISO 6789 guide lines, just do it your way, deal? You're the boss.

I'm out of your way, 100%. And don't use me as an excuse not to do testing. I smell that this excuse of yours is coming, with consideration to Magnumdood's post. Several posters seem to be seriously relying on your kind offer to do testing for them, so don't let them down on your promise,O.K.? It's now all about your personal credibility, you can not turn back, because I, who is certainly nobody to you and other people, made a few posts, which you may not like. Just forget about these posts, according to some people here they are made by the troll, so they should not be taken seriously by design. These posts should not change anything in regard to your intentions to do testing.

It's obvious I'm wasting time trying to help you with your project to test tools. Do not bother to reply to me. With this post of mine, I'm done replying to you. It's high time to forget about me and to start helping people who are interested to know if their torque tools are accurate.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So all that blabbing to basically say nothing! Exactly what I expected.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

You stated that you're an expert with torque measurement devices and repeatedly quoted the ISO standard.

Let's see it.

Oops, forgot to reply to this one.

You got to be one of those dudes who like to make things up...

Yep, let's see it. Jason, go ahead and find my post stating "I'm an expert with torque measurement devices."

Why do you say all these things which never took place?

In regard to ISO standard - you did state that you work for ISO 9001 company. Do you guys over there sometimes quote (and possibly, sometimes use) ISO standards, to comply with ISO 9001 certification? Then, what is your problem with me quoting ISO standard, which is applicable to your initiative of testing torque tools?

I know you're not going to find any of my posts with statement that you've attributed to me, and I suspect you know nothing about ISO, so just drop all these attempts, and simply do testing of torque tools, as you've promised to do to some of forum members, in your own Jason's way.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Let's see it.

Oops, forgot to reply to this one.

You got to be one of those dudes who like to make things up...

Yep, let's see it. Jason, go ahead and find my post stating "I'm an expert with torque measurement devices."

Why do you say all these things which never took place?

In regard to ISO standard - you did state that you work for ISO 9001 company. Do you guys over there sometimes quote (and possibly, sometimes use) ISO standards, to comply with ISO 9001 certification? Then, what is your problem with me quoting ISO standard, which is applicable to your initiative of testing torque tools?

I know you're not going to find any of my posts with statement that you've attributed to me, and I suspect you know nothing about ISO, so just drop all these attempts, and simply do testing of torque tools, as you've promised to do to some of forum members, in your own Jason's way.

Mishka,

You keep reiterating that you are "out of it" and will no longer respond to Jason's posts, yet, your posts directly follow Jason's posts at least 4 times after you said you would cease and desist that precise activity. The way I see it you have absolutely no grounds to criticize Jason's kind gesture to his fellow board members. Further, you should just shut the [bleep] up. You're not contributing anything to the thread topic; you've got some sort of problem with Jason and his offer to check our torque wrenches. If you must argue with him take it into a PM and keep the monkey poo-fights off of the public board.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mishka, Jason:
Let's not make this a pissing contest.
The way I read it was Jason proposed to check on the accuracy of the tools provided, with equipment he uses to certify/verify other schitt.
Consumers could decide which company they decide to purchase on and owner's can decided to use them again or not.

I am a doctor, if I examine someone I do not have to send a copy of my certifications to anyone, the fact that I own have privileges to work at certain institutions, hold a medical license and have passed however many board exams I have taken tells the patient that I meet the minimum requirements of medical knowledge. (I did overpenetrate the national means though hehehe)

That is not a guarantee that I will be accurate 100% of the time, or make me better or worse than the competing Drs somewhere else. Just that I meet a certain standard. And patients and families don't ask me if I can provide reports of competence everytime. They trust the institution hiring me has done due diligence evaluating my skills and track record.
Could I do brain surgery? maybe, most likely will botch it, so I won't do it despite having access to tools and books that tell me so.
I agree with Mishka that a sample of one tool does not reflect a company, but I think it is a start to shed some light.
I always appreciate reading from devil's advocates, but it is delivery that can make less pleasant.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry for the delay fellas. Been busy at work and home lately. I'll PM those with wrenches to send. If anyone else wants to help by sending a torque wrench, that would be great. Even if its another Wheeler or Weaver, the more the merrier.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 11/23/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PM's sent to the 3 dudes that offered to send wrenches.

I'll try to get the ISO standard this week at work. I don't work in the lab and don't have access to the records at home. We'll reference the document for the testing.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 11/23/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just some observations, from someone who owns torque wrenches, and occasionally uses torque testing equipment.

1. I've always steered toward simple beam-type torque wrenches, even if they aren't always convenient. The clicker or dial type wrenches have much more complex mechanisms. They may indeed check fine when calibrated, but any corrosion or wear, and suddenly they can go on the fritz, and may do so without warning. The beam type units are unlikely to change over time, unless they are greatly damaged. As long as you buy a quality unit with guaranteed accuracy, they are unlikely to ever cause problems.

Granted, the beam type are less convenient, especially when you're doing something like F150 lug nuts at 150 ft-lbs, but screws on guns normally require much less torque, and requires only moderate hand strength.

2. Always apply a smooth, increasing effort to the wrench. If you yank or jerk the wrench you may get it to click, but the torque won't necessarily be accurate.

carry on smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Brownells part No. 080-000-515AH. Magna-tip Adjustable Torque Handle.

Just looked it up. They also list a Seekonk 1-75 inch pound Variable Torque Wrench. Part No. 792-000-1AH.

I mentioned Brownells because they always hit it on the head for gunsmithing use tools.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
tex,

A couple engine builders told me that they always use a beam-type torque wrench for installing heads or any time there is a gasket to compress. They thought the clickers "broke" too soon, and liked to hold the torque longer with the beam-type.

Just this afternoon a fella at worked grabbed a 1/4" Snap-on to install a mount and scope on his new Tikkler. I told him he'd better check it first. He set it to 25 in-lb, and the test fixture read 45 in-lb. He came back shocked that it was 20 in-lb off. He ended up taking a dial-type, that read exactly 25 in-lb. True story.

Last edited by 4th_point; 11/24/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Fat wrench. I was amazed at how much harder I had to twist with it over my normal hand tightening.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Just some observations, from someone who owns torque wrenches, and occasionally uses torque testing equipment.

Pat, I may need to borrow your beam torque wrenches at some point and check my mounts, action screws and such... to get an idea smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
blush I actually never have used them on guns.

Apparently I am supposed to do so grin

Mine are a 1/2" and 3/8" drives. Both too big for guns, except barrel nuts on an AR, with the 1/2"

I reckon I oughta buy a smaller one and use it in the future. So when that happens, sure you're welcome to borrow it smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For the money have really been liking the Neiko 1/4" "longshank" driver:

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-10573B-4-Inch-Torque-Screwdriver/dp/B000RZ1D86

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have always used the short end on the wrench supplied with the rings and turned the screw as tight as I could with thumb and index finger. Never a problem over many years. Calibrated hands I suppose. grin

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have 6 torque wrenches and several pressure gauges that get FAA certification every year. Have not had one of mine fail in 15 years, but I do not loan them out. Seekonk, Snap-on/CDI, Craftsman.

For things that counts you generally need to measure the running torque of the threads and add the desired value to get the final torque, ie connecting rod bolts with locking nuts. This is difficult to do with other than a dial type wrench. A click type wrench works more conveniently on lubed thread applications such as spark plugs, oil filters and cylinder hold down nuts.

My choice for scope mounting, and to set torque limiting screw drivers for delicate electronic stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00461AZ7C...d=CE2T9WUY43EL&coliid=I1GUTNFF7C3DQC

jim

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
For mounting actions, bases and rings...which torque wrench is better: Wheeler Fat Handle or Weaver?

I realize you are asking an either or question, but I hate both of your options. My preference is to use a Felo torque driver for the applications you note. They are a favorite of mine.

Last edited by GaryVA; 02/15/15.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (1eyedmule, 257 mag, 44mc, 2UP, 300jimmy, 35, 14 invisible), 1,356 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,272
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.