Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Speer announced a couple of years ago that they were discontinuing Hot-Core bullets and replacing them with Deep Curl. Only a few Deep Curl rifle bullets ever saw the market and then they were all quietly removed from the catalog. Now I get a email from Midway on a bullet I had backordered way before Sandy Hook.

Speer 6.5mm 140gr Hot-Core at Midway

It would seem that Hot-Core is back.

Great way to run a company.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
They must have had some sort of falling out with Cabela's as I haven't seen any Speer bullets in the store in a long time.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are a company without direction. The Deep Curls have been discontinued ((just like the Deep Shocks a few years back). and replaced by Hot Cores. What a Charlie Foxtrot!!
You gotta wonder about whomever is running the show. Really sad end to a fine old company. Wonder what Vernon would think.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What in THE HELL?!? Now DeepCurls are out? Yeah, it was Hot-Cor is out for a while, then they were back in stock, now it is the DeepCurls that are out. That is a big WTF. I use some Speer bullets, but in rifles it is the BTSP I like because they open so readily and still penetrate.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been reloading for about ten years and Speer has never even been on my radar. I guess they don't market their stuff as well as Hornady, Nosler and Sierra because I have a ton of bullets from them. I always wondered who shoots Speer in the same way I wonder who is buying Lyman reloading press'.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
It is a bit confusing but I've been reloading since about '66 and I've used Speer bullets for different cartridges and found several rifles that shot certain Speer bullets very well (240 Wby with the 105 spitzer hot core and 30/30 with the 170 hot core) and was disappointed when I heard the Hot Cores were going away so I bought enough to last a while.

On the other hand I've got s couple of 7 Mags that shoot the 160 Deep Curl REALLY well so maybe i'd better buy up the ones at the local gun shop.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I was excited at some point to try the DeepCurls. They've just never been available. I still think they'd be a very good bullet for low velocity stuff, like out of my 30-30 contender. Oh well. Still planning to shoot either the 165 Speer BTSP or the 168 Amax out of the 30-30 for big game.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No love for them. They are a confused bunch!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've always had some time for them because they were good bullets for the price. But now - here at least - their price has crept up and made them more expensive than competing products like the Interlock which I think is a better bullet, so I'm off them unless I see a good deal on them.

I suspect with all the looney bastards in the US buying ammo like mad, Speer can afford to just supply Federal factory ammo and have abandoned us handloaders to some extent.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Is speer owned by the same multi national corp that owns CCI, Federal Premium, RCBS Alliant Powders, Savage, Bushnell etc...?

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Owned by ATK,yes.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
ATK (aka Federal Premium/Speer) was going to make the Trophy Bonded Tip available as a component as well. Even made it to the catalog on the website. Something changed and it never happened, and they no longer list them as a component. I like the 200 Hot Cors, but when it was announced they were discontinuing Hot Cors I stopped buying them.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Higbean
I've been reloading for about ten years and Speer has never even been on my radar. I guess they don't market their stuff as well as Hornady, Nosler and Sierra because I have a ton of bullets from them. I always wondered who shoots Speer in the same way I wonder who is buying Lyman reloading press'.

I always liked the older Grand Slams and still have a supply that I use in 4 different calibers. Have used the HotCor, BTSP, and the 80 grain soft point is still my favorite bullet in the 243 for coyote, groundhogs etc. Also have a Lyman Orange Crusher press to go along with the Redding Turret...

Admit to being a bit unhappy with the Speer offerings of late. Still plenty of products from other mfgr's to fill the gap though!

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I wonder how much autonomy a company like speer has under a big parent corp like ATK.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my circle 0f shooting friends we call Speer the "puzzle palace". I could care less what they are doing as I have enough .257 87 grain Hot-Cors to keep my Savage 99's shootin in my life time and probably my kids.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like their ogive-forward BTSP design. They don't seem to jack with them and they are usually available.

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, I had a great load for my Ruger .44 carbine with the 270g Gold Dot and now it's gone. I have a box of 270g Deep Curls that I haven't tried yet. I heard somewhere that all they did on these was change the name.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same bullets...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Peator
I wonder how much autonomy a company like speer has under a big parent corp like ATK.

Very little I suspect.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have numerous boxes of various Speer bullets and am out the door in an hour on the last day of deer season w/my HVA 7x57 loaded w/145 Speer Grand Slams and max load of I-4350, I have used Speer's since the 60's and love em. Muddy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.