-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
ATK has made Speer, Federal's bullet bitch. Make bullets for federal ammo, IF, Cinderella, you do all of your choirs; you can have time to yourself.

Military industrial complex that Like warned us about is a real issue for "brands we loved".

I'm a firm believer in the theory of " If it bleeds, I can kill it".
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Darkker
ATK has made Speer, Federal's bullet bitch. Make bullets for federal ammo, IF, Cinderella, you do all of your choirs; you can have time to yourself.

Military industrial complex that Like warned us about is a real issue for "brands we loved".

Ike provided one of the most insightful warnings the world has ever seen. Rather than heeding it, we have decided to worship the very thing about which he warned us.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Now they pulled Boattails off their website as a product line. You can still see them listed under individually calibers but the descriptions are gone.

I wonder if now they are going to release the Fusions and discontinue the boat tail.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/rifle/default.aspx

Scott
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With the exception of the 350 & 400 grain bullets I use in a 45-70 & the occasional Grand Slam bullet, I don't use any Speer's.............lots of other bullets to choose from & Speer offers nothing special, IMO.

MM

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use to use their 275 gr.338 bullet, which has been discontinued for some time. I still use the 150 gr. 270 caliber hot cor. My favorite 270 bullet.

Last edited by thumbcocker; 12/12/14.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have complained before here about what ATK has done to my once favourite bullet maker so won't do it again. They can be pretty hard to find sometimes but I am happy to have been able get some 250 gr Hot Cor's recently to feed the 35 Whelen and especially the 358 Norma. Really like the 150 and 180 gr Hot Cor bullets for the 303 British too.

Gerry.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
Now they pulled Boattails off their website as a product line. You can still see them listed under individually calibers but the descriptions are gone.

I wonder if now they are going to release the Fusions and discontinue the boat tail.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/rifle/default.aspx

I hope not. If so, I better stock up. They are a great bullet at modest speeds, and accurate for cheap. Most people don't know that.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot my first deer this week with a 100gr hot cor in the Roberts. Quartering away spike at 120 yds took 2 ribs on entry, jelled inside before exiting a 1/2" hole.

I want to know what's up with Hornady....where's the 100gr IL in 257?

I may be just as happy with Speer actually as I used to be with Hornady.

Last edited by Stan V; 12/13/14.

All American

All the time
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been really happy with the 87 grain .257 Hot Cor bullets. They've all performed very well on everything I've shot with them.

I've got enough of them squirreled away to last me in case Speer decides to stop making them or changes them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
I still use the 150 gr. 270 caliber hot cor. My favorite 270 bullet.

Just picked up 300 of these for my 270 Win. Any loading tips ie proximity to the lands etc?

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
W H O ..is speer?

laugh whistle

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by bobnob17

Just picked up 300 of these for my 270 Win. Any loading tips ie proximity to the lands etc?

They are not a very fussy bullet. Load them to magazine length in front of some H4831, and go kill stuff.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
They are still producing 4 of my favorite Speer bullets in 22 caliber and are available in bulk...

50 and 55 TNT, 52 grain HP, and the 55 grain SP...

cheap and more than accurate enough for sage rats at reasonable distances...250 yds or more....

and work well, when either ran hard, or loaded down to 22 Hornet Speeds...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
7mm 160g Grand Slams were my bullet of choice for 20+ years. When Speer changed the manufacturing process I went to North Fork bonded bullets instead.

When the Trophy Bonded Tip was introduced I considered it perhaps the best design on the market, given what I wanted in bullet performance. After failing to make them available as promised, I pretty much gave up on Speer altogether.

Now I mostly shoot Hornady SST, A-MAX and V_MAX for fun and a mix of North Fork SS, Nosler AB and Barnes TTSX for more serious work.

Speer who?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kraky111
I've got some deepcurls on hand. Here's what I think also was part of the problem. In general deepcurls are. 0005-.001 oversized per caliber. I have seen posts where people have called speer for more data than they list for deepcurls. Posters have claimed they were told by technicians they talked to that they should never deviate from speers published data and powders listed because of potential pressure spikes. I'm only repeating what I've seen posted...but I do know from measuring mine they are slightly oversized...which may have been a contributor to the fact that many people found them to be really accurate.

I have read that several times myself. I think even on this forum.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by bobnob17

They are not a very fussy bullet. Load them to magazine length in front of some H4831, and go kill stuff.
What antelope sniper said. I mine oal 3.340.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
When the Trophy Bonded Tip was introduced I considered it perhaps the best design on the market, given what I wanted in bullet performance. After failing to make them available as promised, I pretty much gave up on Speer altogether.

Pretty much my sentiments exactly. My testing of factory loads confirmed their performance. I'd probably buy a bunch of those Trophy Bonded Tips if they were available.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I picked up a supply of the 30 cal BTSP from Sportsman's Warehouse today. I have a decent stash now, if they do discontinue them. What horrible market practices ATK has forced on Speer. Really put some serious dents in their reputation since they bought them. Speer used to be one of the biggies for component bullets. Now most guys have gone somewhere else, and Speer is not even allowed to sell their best bullets as components. Government can do a number on business in so many ways. Shape up, Speer!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire
They are still producing 4 of my favorite Speer bullets in 22 caliber and are available in bulk...

50 and 55 TNT, 52 grain HP, and the 55 grain SP...

cheap and more than accurate enough for sage rats at reasonable distances...250 yds or more....

and work well, when either ran hard, or loaded down to 22 Hornet Speeds...

Only Speer bullets I use 50gr TNT always accurate in every rifle I've tried them in.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by kraky111
I've got some deepcurls on hand. Here's what I think also was part of the problem. In general deepcurls are. 0005-.001 oversized per caliber. I have seen posts where people have called speer for more data than they list for deepcurls. Posters have claimed they were told by technicians they talked to that they should never deviate from speers published data and powders listed because of potential pressure spikes. I'm only repeating what I've seen posted...but I do know from measuring mine they are slightly oversized...which may have been a contributor to the fact that many people found them to be really accurate.

Oversize bullets are nothing new with Speer. I don't know how many here are old enough to remember,but their .30 caliber bullets used to be designated as .3085" right in the manual. My thought then was it appealed to the reloaders who had war relics in 06 with worn or oversized bores. I do know that some of the best groups I've ever cut have been with Speer Hot Cores. Still have 500 Mag Tips that will one hole in my 7 mag. My daughter's 270 loves the old 130gr Hot Core. The 25/06 is amazing with the old 100gr "stove pipe" hollow point. I wish them no ill will. I want them to drop back to their roots and bring back the old bullets I've used for the last 40 years. trends be damned,there is still room for good old fashioned bullets at my bench.

Last edited by Otter6; 12/21/14.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

93 members (264mag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 308xray, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 17 invisible), 1,133 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,478
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.