Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Is it stuffing or dressing ? In or out of the bird ? Sausage and raisins in it for me either way! Brine or no brine ? I brine ... real lightly nowadays -cause if u overdo it t changes the texture! jelled cranberry or/and a homemade one with orange juice an real berries from the produce section ! both are good ! >but never a mix of turkey a cranberry on the same fork = yuk ! green bean casserole made off the durke onion can ! yams or sweet taters ...either for me > but it has to have golden roasted marshmallows on it! riced taters with smokes pavalone cheese and gravy from scratch...and I don't have any problems mixing the gravy 50/50 with a store bought McCormick pkg top it all with real butter and a "Rhodes" fresh baked bread loaf ... DROOL !!!!!!!! pie !!! oh my !!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
GB2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Can't stand the critter but it was a staple in my wife's house for the holiday's. I gag at the smell let alone the bite. She does that bit and I do "ours", Dungeness crab, ravioli and mixed lettuce in olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
We use a dry brine (different than a rub) for a few days, truss it up and then cook it on the grill using the rotisserie attachment. It cooks faster than the oven and is incredibly moist and tender. Stuffing is outside the bird and usually has some combination of sausage, nuts and dried cranberries. The turkey is always really good, but I could make a meal out of the stuffing alone.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When it comes to turkey there are all kind of tricks. But when it comes right down to it, it's all about the baste! grin

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is it stuffing or dressing? Same difference.

In or out of the bird? Stuffed in the bird with extra on the side.

Sausage and raisins in it for me either way! Sausage .. yes. Raisins ... no, although raisins and apples in stuffed ducks basted with orange sauce is good stuff.

Brine or no brine ? No brine. Just "traditional" oven roasted.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Is it stuffing or dressing ? Stuffing. Traditional sage stuffing.

In or out of the bird ? In the bird, and stuffed in the neck area too, right under the flap of skin up there.

Bread, freshly ground sage, black pepper, celery salt, finely minced onion, butter, reduced turkey stock.

Brine or no brine ? No brine. I rub it with melted butter and sprinkle with pepper.

All very traditional like my Maternal Grandmother prepared her turkeys for the holidays.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It'll be deep fried turkey where I'm going. Indoors there will be a pork roast cooking. Dirty rice. Green bean casserole with the crusty onions on top.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got a Trader Joe's brined turkey.

It'll be stuffed, rubbed with Treager dry chicken rub and cooked on our Treager wood pellet BBQ.

This will be DELICOUS! Can't WAIT!

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

In or out of the bird ? In the bird, and stuffed in the neck area too, right under the flap of skin up there.

Bread, freshly ground sage, black pepper, celery salt, finely minced onion, butter, reduced turkey stock.

Brine or no brine ? No brine. I rub it with melted butter and sprinkle with pepper.

All very traditional like my Maternal Grandmother prepared her turkeys for the holidays.

Winner winner turkey dinner!!

We do ours the same way.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I seem to do it a little different every year. While I appreciate stuffing in the bird, it soaks up a tremendous amount of grease and stuffing is my favorite part.

I do a dry rub on the bird, slice some onions, carrots and celery for the roaster, add some wine to the pan and into the oven.

Stuffing, saute onions and celery in butter, toss with the bread crumbs and chicken broth, and toss in raisins, walnuts and apples. I've added sausage, and I'd also diced and fried the giblets and added them to the stuffing.

Frozen cranberries, sugar and water boiled (can't do the can thing)

Gravy from drippings

Mashed potatoes

Pumpkin pie

Fresh whipping cream.

If all I had was stuffing with gravy followed by pumpkin pie I'd be content.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's real close to my mom's traditional holiday turkey.

First thing is boil the giblets then make toasted bread cubes in the oven. Half white bread, half wheat bread.

Diced onions and celery lightly sauteed in butter, chopped fresh parsley, S&P, poultry seasoning (or sage), some of the giblets, breakfast sausage (optional), turkey stock from boiling the giblets, and the toasted bread cubes.

Stuff the bird, rub with melted butter, poultry seasoning and S&P. S&P sprinkled on the inside of the bird too.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees, put the turkey breast side down on a rack in roasting pan, stuff it in the oven, and after 15 minutes turn the oven down to 325. Once the bottom is browned turn the bird over and cover with foil. Baste it every so often with pan juices and about 40 minutes before it's done remove the foil to brown the breast side.

Perfect.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
So, this might be a bad time to bring up the oven bag?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
So, this might be a bad time to bring up the oven bag?

That's heresy.

You'd be better off buying a rotisserie chicken from Sam's Club that's been cooked on the ferris wheel of death.

grin

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The Reynold's oven bag works fantastic.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

This is the way to do it, but you have to allow more time in the oven with all the stuffing. The Reynold's cooking bag helps with that, too.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Is it stuffing or dressing ? In or out of the bird ? Sausage and raisins in it for me either way! Brine or no brine ? I brine ... real lightly nowadays -cause if u overdo it t changes the texture! jelled cranberry or/and a homemade one with orange juice an real berries from the produce section ! both are good ! >but never a mix of turkey a cranberry on the same fork = yuk ! green bean casserole made off the durke onion can ! yams or sweet taters ...either for me > but it has to have golden roasted marshmallows on it! riced taters with smokes pavalone cheese and gravy from scratch...and I don't have any problems mixing the gravy 50/50 with a store bought McCormick pkg top it all with real butter and a "Rhodes" fresh baked bread loaf ... DROOL !!!!!!!! pie !!! oh my !!

you have a way with words

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Stuffing but not stuffed! So always OUT of the bird.

Brine if whole birds. If only breasts then I buy already honey brined.

Homemade cranberry relish with oranges and Grand Mariner. Not cooked.

NO Green bean casserole. Country style Green beans yes!

Sweet potatoes topped with one half marshmallows and the other brown sugar pecan mixture.

Regular ole hand mashed potatoes with lots of rich whole milk and Amish butter.

Mac and cheese

Creamed corn

Collards

Black eye peas

Squash cassarole

Mom made rolls!!!

Bourbon pecan pie....even found some pecan flavored bourbon for this year!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Stuffing, but never in the bird

Brine Only if I am the one making the turkey, but that has yet to happen, so I actually prefer HAM

Gotta have the special cranberry sauce in a can shaped jello mold

sweet potatoes, yams, squash it is an orange thing on the plate, but if it has marshmallows....HELL NO

I do make the smashed potatoes... spuds, sour cream, butter, garlic, salt, pepper, milk or cream, and for my own plate a bit of horseradish.

baked corn casserole, (cream of corn, regular canned corn and smashed up crackers, among other things.....I think but I have yet to make it on my own, although it is one of my favorites)

Green bean casserole, one of the few times a year I get to each cream of mushroom soup.

Gravy over everything, and then some more gravy

Some sort of fresh baked bun/dinner roll

pie but it has to be made on a graham cracker crust.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Bourbon pecan pie

Just found a recipe for this. I'll bet it is good...

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
No fans of the bird cooked in deep fat fryer in peanut oil?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
781 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 87 invisible), 3,112 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.