Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Virtually every day I'm researching the possibility of moving to one of these states and today I came across this interesting factoid.
Not much supporting the statistics in this article, I was curious to the underlying reasons????

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/alaskas-suicide-rate-no-longer-nations-highest/26893506

Proud NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rates are influenced by population.

Factor in the numbers of vets in both states (we lose 1 vet per hour to suicide), as well as those on reservations and I'm not surprised.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
People in Wyoming are depressed because they don't live in Montana. People in Montana are depressed because so many people from Wyoming are planning to move here-

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
4ager got it.

Originally Posted by Royce
People in Wyoming are depressed because they don't live in Montana. People in Montana are depressed because so many people from Wyoming are planning to move here-

Not...I've driven through Montana a couple times. I certainly didn't lose anything there laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Problem is the natives are killing themselves. The folks moving in from Kalifornia and Washington and Colorado are too busy being happy and building travel plazas so they cab phouc this place up too....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Montana would be an awesome state if kicked all the neo-liberal fascists out. And the Feds. But I repeat myself.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When they get that close to heaven, a lot want to finish the trip. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Montana, it's mostly caused by elk hunters, driving half way across the state and bringing ammo that doesn't match their rifle..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Alcohol/drug related suicides(and sober suicides) are a problem here.

That and the fact that 40% of native babies are born with meth in their system.

Fuucked up deal all the way around.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I like MT and WY more than a little bit.

This part of the country is not for everybody. That's part of the reason I like it.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Alcohol/drug related suicides(and sober suicides) are a problem here.

That and the fact that 40% of native babies are born with meth in their system.

Fuucked up deal all the way around.

Harsh reality. Very tragic.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's all those guns in Montana and Wyoming. If they didn't have guns they'd not commit suicide. wink More gun control is in order to save them from themselves! crazy

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Suicide rate on the Wind River Indian Reservation in Wyoming is just pitiful, many teens and even younger, drugs and alcohol, dysfunctional families, poverty, place has it all.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by jnyork
Suicide rate on the Wind River Indian Reservation in Wyoming is just pitiful, many teens and even younger, drugs and alcohol, dysfunctional families, poverty, place has it all.

This......
Spend three days working in the Lander hospital and you will leave saying WTF to yourself.
Sadly, it isn't confined to the Rez. We have more than our share here as well.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Salmonella: Don't let the "ratings" stop you from a better life in Montana (or in Wyoming!).
The quality of life hereabouts is FANTASTIC.
Bring your own mental condition and enjoy - don't let that one detrimental aspect of life in Big Sky Country deter you.
Good luck to you if you can manage the "move".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
watched one of my daughters bury a friend when she was a freshman....wasnt fun, the kids mom blamed the school instead of looking in the mirror

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Salmonella: Don't let the "ratings" stop you from a better life in Montana (or in Wyoming!).
The quality of life hereabouts is FANTASTIC.
Bring your own mental condition and enjoy - don't let that one detrimental aspect of life in Big Sky Country deter you.
Good luck to you if you can manage the "move".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Don't believe this guy.

Montana's a miserable place to live with miserable neighbors (varmintguy, ingwe and deflave for example).

Montana MOFO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Harry there is room for you and your family here, but then we are at full capacity...so all you other guys bugger off!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Rates are influenced by population.

Factor in the numbers of vets in both states (we lose 1 vet per hour to suicide), as well as those on reservations and I'm not surprised.

That's part of it. additional factors: cold. dark. the wind blows like a sumbee. expensive to live (heating a house, fueling a car, shipping). lots of small towns. fair number of dropouts, small number of good jobs. outsiders driving up price of real estate in desirable areas. everyone has cable or dish, so they see what they don't have. they feel bad. they wish they graduated high school.

if you have a little jingle, and your [bleep] together, it is a beautiful place.

If you are a little messed up, or behind the 8-ball somehow, it can be a hard row to hoe.

Drugs and alcohol don't help.

Sycamore

p/s lot of irish and scandinavians in the gene pool. not always the cute ones, either!

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (6MMWASP, AdventureBound, 338reddog, 260Remguy, 44automag, 4xbear, 8 invisible), 1,685 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,198
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.