Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've convinced myself that I want a 300 Blackout upper. I already have an AR. This is way outside my area of experience so I figured to ask. Here goes:

1. is there a big difference in the manufactures? Or are we talking like the difference between Savage and Remington?

2. are 30-30 bullets going to work or will the flat nose cause feeding issues. I know I can use other bullet profiles but thought a 170 flat nose would work great on deer.

3. you know where I may purchase Sierra 220 gr. OTM bullets?

4. is there a better choice than the 300 Blackout? I'm limited to 30 caliber.

5. any reason to purchase a bolt group and charging bar with a new upper?

6. Gunbroker the best place to find one?

Thanks for considering my questions. Rick

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
sure BO out of a 16 inch barrel is fine, supersonic on deer no way I would use subsonic and why bother unless your poaching? The little round is mild has a mild report as well and it is produces bigger hole than a 223 but not near in the same class as traditional deer rifle. I don't think it matches really even matches a 30-30 performance, more like a 30 Carbine. Take advantage of bullet technology the Vor-TX makes decent holes thru bone per my recent experience. Not sure a 125 or 150 would be the ticket here. finally shooting a few deer with 223 and 1 with a BO there is not much difference except a bit bigger drain hole.

Last edited by jimmyp; 11/18/14.

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for your reply, I got the 30-30 analogy from these guys: 300aac

I'm looking to shoot on a property where it is legal but the land owner is very sensitive to noise, I'm the only one there allowed to hunt but held to archery for deer but she allows me to use a shotgun for turkeys - go figure.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You're going to get good reviews AAC because they are the originators and major pimps of the 300 BO. Good cartridge if you want to run a can and go sub-sonic. Check the load books and you will find it's a whole lot closer to the .30 Carbine than the .30-30, at least with 150-175gr bullets.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Most guys using super sonics for deer are using 110 or 125gr bullets such as Ballistic Tips or SST's, I'm using the SST's. These bullets are designed for BO velocities and actually do a pretty darn good job on deer.

Personally I would get another BCG with the upper but that's just me. I would buy one locally if possible and avoid GunBroker.

IC B2

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
May I ask why you would avoid GB? And why another BCG?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
my M&P blackout feeds 125gr Sierra FN-HP's fine, also the speer 130gr FN. carry it around when we check feeders, etc, for when hogs, yotes, etc pop up, and will probably deer hunt with it some this year.

I've shot assorted stuff with several small cased 30's including the .30x357mag, .30-20, .30herrett, etc and most of the 125/130/135's i've tried all expanded and caused more than adequate penetration/expansion to kills on hogs, yotes, deer at blackout speed levels.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

============================================================

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
You're going to get good reviews AAC because they are the originators and major pimps of the 300 BO. Good cartridge if you want to run a can and go sub-sonic. Check the load books and you will find it's a whole lot closer to the .30 Carbine than the .30-30, at least with 150-175gr bullets.

no they are not, the round was campaigned by JD Jones at SSK while most of the aac people were still making a yellow mess in their diaper.
...and word has it , someone else before JD , but I havent verified that yet.

.... like tears in the rain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
also consider 30 Major/covert/gremlin/arrow...grendel based 30 cal thats faster than the bo with the same subsonic capabiliy.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yeah, amazing that some think that AAC built this from the ground up, they stole a design already out there.

Not that it matters... my dies still say 300/221 FWIW... LOL.

Now to teh question.

If you are shooting super sonic, then 7.62x39 hands down over the 300/221. Why anyone would use a 300/221 with its hassles when you can go the X39 is beyond me.....

Going subsonic brings up a few things though. Fast enough twist for the heavy bullets... 240s may need 7 and not 8....
You will have a LOT of action noise in the AR, and why I was going to put a gas block on I could turn off for deer hunting when I want as quiet as I can and follow up shots are not a big deal... and then I bought a 700....

But subsonic for pigs and the like, you have to deal with action noise regardless if you want follow up shots.

I can say this much, putting a suppressor on a 22, I hate it that I had a 10-22 because half the noise is the action slap.... searching to buy the right bolt gun for the 22 now...

But remember supersonic use... x39 has a lot of brass out there, no need to form, cheap enough.... lots of bullets that already work fine... 125 ballistic tip is made for the round IMHO in the AR. And the possible use of surplus if not at least cheap blasting wolf type ammo.... I'd never run the 300/221 supersonic on purpose....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
...and if you get a whisper /bo/wtf barrel with the gas port in the carbine position , you'll be relegated to using powders that tend toward more of a sound signature than if you had it in the pistol position.
Enforcer/VVN 110/AA#9...good
AA1680...bad

Last edited by AKA_Spook; 11/18/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Problem I may be having now, see "Headspace" thread under AR's

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have a J.D> Jones .300 Whisper upper with a JDJ can. I load for it on a Dillon 550B.

Staying subsonic, while shooting as close as possible to the sound barrier, can be a challenge. The gun with can is pretty heavy and I sorta lost interest. It is a neat idea.

DF

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
Originally Posted by MichiganScott

no they are not, the round was campaigned by JD Jones at SSK while most of the aac people were still making a yellow mess in their diaper.
...and word has it , someone else before JD , but I havent verified that yet.

JD came out with the 300 Whisper for AR's back in the early 1990's. It failed to go much of anyplace because cans weren't as common then as they are now for civilians, although the black op's community found it useful.

AAC came on the scene in 1994 as a manufacturer of suppressors. You can sell a lot more suppressors if there is a readily available firearm in need of one, hence the 300 AAC BO. AAC's Research and Development Director Robert Silvers has spent enough time telling more lies on the 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel boards to get banned from almost all of them. And yes, the 300 Whisper is identical to the 300 BO. It's just that the OP was talking about the misinformation spewed from the Robert Silvers propaganda machine about what they call the Black Out.

Rost is right. You want supersonic and lightweight, shoot the 7.62x39. It's a lot less hassle.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If I'm not mistaken AAC is the company that went through the effort to have it SAAMI certified. JD Jones wanted a cut of anyone who used "whisper" in their advertising or marketing, that is why you saw AR's advertised as 30/221 before the BO.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Boise
May I ask why you would avoid GB? And why another BCG?

Because for common items like this I prefer to buy from a local dealer, if I'm looking for something hard to find then GB will work. Why another BCG? No good reason other than I like to keep the uppers complete.

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks once more but again may I ask for more clarification? First Im willing to go with the 7.62x39 but who's?

And how does one know where the gas port is located?

Also I understand the action slap noise which makes me think I'm headed down the wrong path and would be better off with a bolt rifle. But if it's just a $320 upper then maybe do both.

I'm waiting on my SilienceCo Harvester, a light duty 30 cal can. Would a .308 bolt be a better choice for hunting or the 7.62x39 AR?

Life was so much simpler before they allowed us to use a suppressor while hunting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
www.300aacblackout.com

Checkout the video on bottom right. I would've worry too much about action noise! It's louder to the shooter then those nearby same as on my suppressed .223

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Yeah, amazing that some think that AAC built this from the ground up, they stole a design already out there.

Not that it matters... my dies still say 300/221 FWIW... LOL.

Now to teh question.

If you are shooting super sonic, then 7.62x39 hands down over the 300/221. Why anyone would use a 300/221 with its hassles when you can go the X39 is beyond me.....

Going subsonic brings up a few things though. Fast enough twist for the heavy bullets... 240s may need 7 and not 8....
You will have a LOT of action noise in the AR, and why I was going to put a gas block on I could turn off for deer hunting when I want as quiet as I can and follow up shots are not a big deal... and then I bought a 700....

But subsonic for pigs and the like, you have to deal with action noise regardless if you want follow up shots.

I can say this much, putting a suppressor on a 22, I hate it that I had a 10-22 because half the noise is the action slap.... searching to buy the right bolt gun for the 22 now...

But remember supersonic use... x39 has a lot of brass out there, no need to form, cheap enough.... lots of bullets that already work fine... 125 ballistic tip is made for the round IMHO in the AR. And the possible use of surplus if not at least cheap blasting wolf type ammo.... I'd never run the 300/221 supersonic on purpose....

You ever try any of the subsonic bullets on critters yet? smile I was curious if you had better luck than I did.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
yep, shot 2 bucks already. 194 lehighs. First one blew chunks of lungs out the exit hole. Entry holes are HARD to find. He left a blood trail that was more than easy to follow which meant good first training for our new curr.

Second was an escaping wounded buck that a friends mother had hit too high, hit far back to angle forward. Never exited but chewed up the insides adn as soon as the bullet hit, he was down and died within probably 20 seconds.

Oh yeah, first buck running a doe, at teh shot the doe and other buck looked a bit, and then trotted the other way. The buck stood for a second, then started going off confused... ran about 60 yards and became wobbly, turned 180 and wobbled back another 10 steps or so, made a circle and that was that.

Still have a few more to shoot and friends on the trust that will use it.

Have not run 208 amax or 240 smks... that may or may not happen this year on game.

I have the 220s too, but they are built to run in the AR and as such, thats not assembled yet...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.