Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win
[Linked Image]

I imagine one bite would about do a man in...

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Only the really slow ones.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BadboyMelvin

Thanks for all the replies guys.
I read in an old Elmer Keith article that says (according to him) that Grizzlies don't eat people but black bears do, but it seems that Grizzlies do eat people from time to time.
It makes me glad that we have no bears in Australia. We have sharks, snakes, spiders, crocodiles, dingoes, wild dogs, buffalo, scrub Bulls, jellyfish and scorpions... but no bears!
The theory is that blacks attack for food but grizzlies attack to defend cubs or territory. That's the theory and while it might be generally correct, it's nowhere near 100% correct.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...one has NO way of knowing whether the bear in question has read the same books.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IIRC Timothy Treadwell's last recorded words were, "He's eating me!"

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They were actually 'I'm getting killed' but that's close enough. Here's an interesting article about him. This is quote from the article to show how really crazy he was.

The troopers weren't all that bright, either. The one who killed the 1st bear did it with a 40 cal handgun. It took 12 shots.

During peak bear mating season, Treadwell would often go naked and smear Smucker's� Raspberry Jam over his bare buttocks and taunt the males in the area. Treadwell said he could calm them by talking in his high-pitched sing-song voice and tell from their body language whether they posed any overt sexual threat.

Alaska Bear Attack
Editor's Note: some of the statements in this story may or may not be true, and are meant as parody.

Among the last words Timothy Treadwell uttered to his girlfriend before a bear killed and partially ate both of them were these:

"Get out here. I'm getting killed.''

Alaska State Troopers report that is what they heard on a videotape recovered Monday at the scene of a bear mauling in Katmai National Park and Preserve. The tape was in a camera found near the bear-buried remains of Treadwell, 46, and Huguenard, 37.

The offending bear was apparently destroyed after park rangers descended to investigate.

Troopers spokesman Greg Wilkinson said there are no pictures on the tape, leading troopers to believe the attack might have happened while the camera was stuffed in a duffle bag or during the dark of night. Treadwell had talked to an associate in Malibu, Calif., by satellite phone around noon Sunday. He mentioned no problems with any bears.

The remains of the Southern Californians who periodically came to Alaska to live intimately with the bears were found the next day. A large but scrawny old bear with bad teeth that a pilot had seen sitting on the brush and dirt pulled over the bodies was shot and killed by National Park Service rangers at the scene after it charged them.

Troopers Wednesday refused requests to release the audiotape, but said it convinced them the two people had been killed by a bear. Speculation about whether a bear had actually done the killing had been fueled by Treadwell's oft-stated but unsubstantiated claim that he spent summers at Katmai to protect the bears from poachers and sport hunters.

"I'm their lifeguard,'' he told a reporter for The Davis (Calif.) Enterprise in 1999. "I'm there to keep the poachers and sport hunters away. I'm much more likely to be killed by an angry sport hunter than a bear.''

The Kaflia Bay area of Alaska's Gulf Coast -- where Treadwell spent most of his time in the state -- has long been closed to sport hunters, and Katmai rangers said there is no history of poachers killing bears in the area.

When bears die, they are usually killed by other brown bears, said park superintendent Deb Liggett, noting that 90 percent of the cubs each year are killed, and often eaten, by other brown bears. Adult bears sometimes kill each other there, too.

In this case, Wilkinson said, troopers are confident a bear was also responsible for killing the Malibu couple. Troopers are also convinced, he added, that the bear seen feeding on their bodies was the bear killed by Park Service rangers. There is no way, however, of knowing whether that bear or another shot by troopers at the scene did the actual killing.

One of the rangers shot the brown bear with his service semi-auto .40-caliber pistol twelve times when the animal charged at them through the dense brush. The bear finally fell only 12 feet from the ranger, as two other rangers stood at the ready with shotguns. "We may have cut that a little thin," one of the other rangers said. [Ed. Note: ya think?!] Troopers and rangers later killed a smaller bear apparently stalking them.

The tape full of screams and rustling sounds details the attack, Wilkinson said, but adds little to explain exactly what happened or why. The tape, he said, lasts about three minutes. Scratching and dragging noises on it have led troopers to believe Treadwell might have been wearing a body mike when the attack began.

After Treadwell calls for help, Wilkinson said, Huguenard can be heard shouting "play dead.'' That is the recommended response to being grabbed by a brown or grizzly bear, but authorities stress the idea of playing dead should be abandoned if the bear continues to press the attack.

On the tape, shortly after the warning to "play dead,'' Wilkinson said, "Huguenard is heard to scream "fight back.'' Treadwell later yells "hit him with a pan,'' Wilkinson said. [Ed. Note: that'll send him running!]

After that, the tape goes dead, as did Treadwell. Because there are no pictures, troopers believe it is most likely the bear came in the night. The tent in which Treadwell and Huguenard had been camping showed no signs of being ripped open by a bear trying to attack people inside, but a friend of Treadwell's said it was common for him to leave the tent in the dark to confront bears that approached his camp. Apparently Treadwell treated bears like local neighbor teenagers with toilet paper rolls in hand.

"His way of operating was to get out of the tent immediately when he heard a bear around,'' Juneau filmmaker Joel Bennett said Wednesday. "He subscribed to the theory that the worst thing you could do was stay in the tent. Obviously the bears thought differently."

Bennett knew the flamboyant Treadwell well. Only two weeks before Treadwell's death they had spent weeks on Kodiak Island working on a Disney film about bears.

"You probably know that I've done three full-length films with him,'' Bennett said. "There's no question he had a remarkable repertoire with bears and had a remarkable ability for them to tolerate him ... (but) just so people don't get the wrong idea, Tim definitely knew there were bears out there that were bad medicine. One apparently thought he would be tasty."

"This incident sounds to me like it had nothing to do with his work during the day to look at bears or photograph bears. It was a campsite situation. I think he was quite an idiot, and paid for it with his life.''

Dozens of scientists, bear guides and outdoor authorities who have spent their lives around Alaska's bruins have criticized Treadwell's daytime activities. The Californian had a seemingly overwhelming need to get close to bears, and may have harbored fetish feelings towards the bears.

"He was a strange dude,'' said Joe Darminio, a former guide at the Newhalen Lodge who used to take bear-viewing tourists to meet Treadwell. "I had a feeling that he would become a meal to one of those bears sooner or later. They are bears, man, what do you expect?" Many of the tourists, Darminio added, recognized Treadwell from television or his book, "Among Grizzlies -- Living with Wild Bears in Alaska.''

Opinions among the tourists were split on whether Treadwell's bear-stalking antics were crazy, but Darminio said there was agreement the blond Californian in the black Carhartt's with the bandana tied around his head like a pirate was entertaining.

It was hard to avoid being shocked or impressed by the fearless way he eased up to within feet of some of the most powerful predators on the continent. During peak bear mating season, Treadwell would often go naked and smear Smucker's� Raspberry Jam over his bare buttocks and taunt the males in the area. Treadwell said he could calm them by talking in his high-pitched sing-song voice and tell from their body language whether they posed any overt sexual threat.

"He really thought he was a beasty version of Dian Fossey in that way,'' Bennett said. "She could have been killed by one swipe of a gorilla at any time. Dian Fossey got close to the gorillas. She touched them. But she never got naked and presented her rear to them, for Christ's sake. Timmy did not encourage other people to do this, but he seriously enjoyed it. He says over and over in his films, 'Do not do this. Do not copy me. I am Lono.' It's obviously not something people should do, but it's something that he did. And I think he really got off on it."

Huguenard was exposed to Treadwell's daring antics at a grizzly bear anal-Smucker's� presentation in Boulder, Colo. A graduate of the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine with a degree in molecular biology from the University of Colorado in Boulder, she knew trying to get close to brown bears was dangerous, but went along with Treadwell anyway, despite the sexual innuendos.

"It was part of her life,'' sister Kathie Stowell told The Times' newspaper in their old hometown of Valparaiso, Ind. "They had a bear passion and that overrode everything. I have a feeling that the bears had a passion for them too, especially when they enticed them with raspberry jam on their private parts like that."

"She definitely died, according to her, in the most beautiful, pristine place on earth. They were both lunatics and deviants, but at least they died doing what they loved. I am sure God is frowning on the whole thing, though.''

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't get it. Does that article insinuate Treadwell was letting the males poke him in the rear?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

If you've never watched it before, you need to see the Timmy Treadwell spoof video. You will die laffin'

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We are well acquainted with the troopers, helicopter pilot and NPS employees who investigated and cleaned up the remains and eventually shot the bear (s). A second bear showed up shortly after the initial boar was killed, probably attracted by the smell of meat, and the rangers killed it as well.
The NPS employee who shot the bear with the 40 cal handgun now carries a .50 S&W in his airplane.
We also keep the Treadwell movie "Grizzly Man" in camp as his footage was well done. But he was a suicidal egomaniac. We also have a copy of the spoof " Grizzly Bear Man" and it is spot on.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

For those who haven't seen and and for those who want to see it again.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The only Herter's book I remember well is his "Bull Cook Manuel." When I was about 13 or so I got some wild leeks and made his leak soup. It was darn good. But if Phil says about the spit: I'll take his word.

Now on this grenade suggestion: into which end of the bear would it be best to stuff the grenade? Phil? What say you?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by 458Win
We are well acquainted with the troopers, helicopter pilot and NPS employees who investigated and cleaned up the remains and eventually shot the bear (s). A second bear showed up shortly after the initial boar was killed, probably attracted by the smell of meat, and the rangers killed it as well.
The NPS employee who shot the bear with the 40 cal handgun now carries a .50 S&W in his airplane.
We also keep the Treadwell movie "Grizzly Man" in camp as his footage was well done. But he was a suicidal egomaniac. We also have a copy of the spoof " Grizzly Bear Man" and it is spot on.

Well FWIW,,,, Here is my Timmy Treadwell Story;
As my memory serves, the date was Sept. 2003, I was doing some Generator over-hauls for Katmai Lodge, up the Branch River, [or Alagnak, if you will] I was in Town, [King-Salmon] waiting for some Parts to come in on Penn-Air. So i was killing some time across the street @ Eddy's Fireplace Inn, ordered a Pizza and a Beer, just minding my own business, and this guy bellyed-up to the bar next me and sat down, started showing me some post card type photos of these Bears, he had names for them, from these two Scrap-Book Photo type albums, at this point, i didn't know anything about Timmy Treadwell, never heard of him before that afternoon. So, he asked if i was interested in buying any of his photos, i wasn't, my Pizza showed-up, i offered him a slice, we started talking alittle bit, he said he was waiting for his girl friend to fly in, the same flight that had my parts on it, well,,,, during our conversation, i told him, IMHO, you are playing a dangerous game of Russian-Roulette with those Bears, It's not a matter of -{If}-, it's just -{WHEN}-, and now we all know -{WHEN}- caught-up with him.
That's my Story, and I'm Sticking to it. cool

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From what I've read black bear attacks are almost never over protection of a kill/of young/personal space but predatory in nature.
Grizzlies might initiate an attack over any the above and sometimes say to themselves,"Hey, I went through all this trouble so might as well eat it."
Young male grizzlies are the most apt grizzly sub set to go into predatory mode upon a encounter.
Bears habituated to garbage, being fed, ect. often are more likely to look at humans as a opportunistic food source.
Playing dead might be a good action to take if you get a grizzly on top of you. Never a good action if it is a black bear.
Bottom line. If you are in bear territory you better have defense of some type on you.

Last edited by FVA; 11/29/14. Reason: sp.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I thought it noteworthy that there are far fewer documented maulings when pepper spray is used to divert an attack vs a firearm!

Also the statement that was made about Treadwell shoulding have stayed in his tent is a mistake. The single best deterent to a predatory attack is direct and aggressive confrontation. Timoth was a weirdo however he understood bear psychology very well.

My guess is in this instance when he was eaten he slipped up and tried the sweet soft scolding tone he often used when he should have came off with immediate aggression.

One slipup and your eaten!

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 12/03/14.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bearschlayerx2
Ask Timothy Treadwell ( I think that was his name)

What hurts and bothers me the most about Treadwell's story, is that he really trusted Mr. Bubbles. frown

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Shodd
I thought it noteworthy that there are far fewer documented maulings when pepper spray is used to divert an attack vs a firearm!

Also the statement that was made about Treadwell shoulding have stayed in his tent is a mistake. The single best deterent to a predatory attack is direct and aggressive confrontation. Timoth was a weirdo however he understood bear psychology very well.

My guess is in this instance when he was eaten he slipped up and tried the sweet soft scolding tone he often used when he should have came off with immediate aggression.

Shod

Sorry, total bullschit on the pepper spray... And how do they document a non-event? And then calculate a ratio of saves the in non-event arena?

Spray used at great distance is not proof it worked, at all. Most spray success stories are based on anything but real encounters. In my two personal first-hand experiences neither bear was saved by spray, though both were given chances.

Having spent more than a little time around bears I am not impressed by TT's experience or actions and predicted the result.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Shod

Sorry, total bullschit on the pepper spray... And how do they document a non-event? And then calculate a ratio of saves the in non-event arena?

Spray used at great distance is not proof it worked, at all. Most spray success stories are based on anything but real encounters. In my two personal first-hand experiences neither bear was saved by spray, though both were given chances.

Having spent more than a little time around bears I am not impressed by TT's experience or actions and predicted the result.

Most everything he (Shodd) mentioned doesn't jibe with what I've seen and know about bears either.

A bear that is wary is easily deterred. A bear that is curious or aggressive might just as readily stand it's ground against any form of aggression including sounds much louder than any human is capable of - including magnum handguns burning significant quantities of bear seasoning (110/296).

Perhaps he (Treadwell) might have survived that attack had he stayed in the tent and used bear spray in the enclosed space along with blankets/sleeping bags for his own spray protection, but that is only hindsight thinking which nobody has the opportunity for in those situations. The simplest solution would have been to keep a good rifle and/or revolver nearby and used them as needed.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 01/03/15.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Shod

I'm with Art when it comes to this kind of reporting. I've been very, very close to a whole bunch of bears. Most have ended with everyone walking away, some ended with a skinning job. Can't believe that any of them have been "reported" as stopping a mauling with a firearm--though I can't see how else they could've been classified by anyone keeping records.

I've never sprayed a bear. However, I've used enough pepper spray on two legged victims to know that its efficacy is doubtful in a determined encounter with a man or beast.......

Oh, and as far as TT goes, the outcome was too obvious to be considered a prediction. laugh

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 64 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,428
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.